Author Topic: Your favourite drummers?  (Read 11732 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favourite drummers?
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
Mike Portnoy
Gavin Harrison
Neil Peart
Jeff Porcaro

And  the latest find was Aric Improta, amazing drummer from Night Verses!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Volante99

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
Mike Portnoy
Steve Gadd
Mikkey Dee
Nicko McBrain
Keith Moon
Danny Carey

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
no particular order:
Mike Mangini
Phil Collins
Jeff Porcaro
Simon Phillips
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Smith

these are the ones that influence(d) me the most I'd say.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:36:17 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »
Sometimes you can feel the weight of a picture. To me it's so fun seeing heavyweights like this hanging out together, I can just imagine the admiration each and every one of them have for eachother despite age and time in the business.

Left to right: Virgil Donati, Gergo Borlai and Dave Weckl

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 01:19:28 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2021, 12:15:14 PM »
Danny Carey
Ivar de Graaf
Matt Garstka
Omar Hakim
Gavin Harrison
Daniel Liljekvist
Martin Lopez
Marco Minnemann
Anika Nilles
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Paul Roraback
Morgan Rose
Steve Smith
Dirk Verbeuren
Dave Weckl

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »
 :) . .

Steve White ( Paul Weller ) and his younger brother

Alan White ( oasis )

Jeff Porcaro

Tre Cool

Jimmy Chamberlin

Thomas Lang

Brann Dailor

Todd Sucherman

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
I think in general I tend to be drawn to players that have a lot of chops, but know the right spots to highlight them, and the same for gear, they tend to have larger kits, but use them effectively.  I like the sound of a variety of different sizes of toms, especially higher-pitched ones, and effects cymbals, splashes, Chinas, stacks, bells and the like.  My list could easily include countless more, and I'll probably keep thinking of others, but Terry Bozzio is a glaring one that didn't come right to mind for some reason until I started typing this post out. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:30:04 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
Ooh Ooh Ooh and I really DO NOT Like Buddy Rich. Like - every video I ever see of him - he's hunched over like Quasimodo just going as fast as he can.

I've never been impressed by him. I'd rather listen to Gene Krupa or Joe Morello. People who were actually interesting to listen to.

I think in general I tend to be drawn to players that have a lot of chops, but know the right spots to highlight them, and the same for gear, they tend to have larger kits, but use them effectively.  I like the sound of a variety of different sizes of toms, especially higher-pitched ones, and effects cymbals, splashes, Chinas, stacks, bells and the like.  My list could easily include countless more, and I'll probably keep thinking of others, but Terry Bozzio is a glaring one that didn't come right to mind for some reason until I started typing this post out. 

Chops are good and technique is super important. But honestly - i'd have way more fun with a 4 piece hats crash and ride than I would on mangini's kit. i'm serious.

Quote from: Kram
Gavin Harrison
Ahh good call. How could I forget !

Offline Kram

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Gavin Harrison
Phil Collins
Mike Mangini
Thomas Lang
Ray Hearne
Marco Minnemann
Léo Margarit

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
Neil Peart
Carter Beauford
John Bonham
Gavin Harrison
Carl Palmer

Funny to see now this list I made 11 years ago. I guess it shows how on my nerves Portnoy was at the time that I didn't put him in my top 5 :lol, as it would definitely be on there (based on drumming, not personality  :rollin :rollin).  I would definitely take Harrison and Palmer outta that top 5 and replace them with Portnoy and probably Keith Moon, the latter of whom was a glaring omission last time.  I don't listen to The Who that much anymore, but Moon was a relentless beast of a drummer at his peak.  Peart will always be number 1, and Beauford and Bonham are both pretty much locked in with me as being top 5 drummers for the foreseeable future. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »
John Bonham > > > > Keith Moon and it's not close. :hat

Moon was notoriously sloppy. Plus he single handedly gave all drummers a reputation of being DUH I HIT THINGS AND DEY BREAK!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
Huh, not sure how I missed posting here the first time around...

Neil Peart
MP
MM
Marco Minneman
Gavin Harrison
Keith Moon

And as far as I can see, the first female to be mentioned...Senri Kawaguchi

John Bonham > > > > Keith Moon and it's not close. :hat

Moon was notoriously sloppy. Plus he single handedly gave all drummers a reputation of being DUH I HIT THINGS AND DEY BREAK!!!

It's funny, fans say that. Fellow drummers recognize Keith as the genius he was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
Other than Nicko McBrain, I can't really hear Moon's drumming in anybody's playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
I remember a few years back Jimmy Keegan, former drummer for Spock's Beard and currently with Pattern Seeking Animals, wrote a small piece for us at Lady Obscure on Moon. He nailed it needless to say...

Speaking musically, Keith Moon was many things.

At the root, he was unpredictable. The way he plays this song is absolutely unpredictable, much like all Who songs. The accentuations happen almost by accident. He plays fills that nobody would think of playing because he’s not thinking when he’s playing. Just expressing. And face it … he was nuts! If we are true to ourselves, our personality comes out in our playing. Keith had a very specific personality. I would never call him fearless. Quite the contrary, I think he was petrified and consequently his playing and his personality were defense mechanisms. I’ll talk loudly so you don’t realize that I don’t know what to say. I’ll act crazy so you won’t realize that I don’t know how to act. I’ll make jokes and be silly so you don’t know that I’m frightened and sad. He was manic. I’ll play loudly with lot’s of notes so you can’t tell that I’m not a very good drummer. Because of his insecurities and whatever he might have been suffering from, he compensated and often over compensated. But when he was on, he was unstoppable. The proverbial fright train!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2021, 01:56:32 PM »

I mentioned Anika Nilles a few posts ago.  Senri is great too. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »

I mentioned Anika Nilles a few posts ago.  Senri is great too.

Seems I checked every post except the one three before mine  :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »
The big four:

Nick D’Virgilio
Neal Peart
Mike Portnoy
Phil Collins

Some others I really enjoy:

Paul Craddick
Pat Torpey
Rod Morgenstein
Carter Beaufort
Manu Katche

Some others who should be mentioned due to their involvement in some of my favorite bands:

Ian Mosely
Steve Smith
Jerry Gaskill

There’s lots of others, but those are the first to spring to mind.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:02:05 PM by HOF »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

It's funny, fans say that. Fellow drummers recognize Keith as the genius he was.

Pfft. Give it enough time and people will be calling Meg White and Lars Ulrich "geniuses" and "Incredible" drummers. And I love Lars.

It just adds to my theory that you aren't allowed to dislike any "classic" musicians.

I saw Ringo on a show recently demonstrating some of his drum parts and he hasn't gotten ANY better since the mid 60s.

He's still really lazy and messy. You'd think after all this time - he might have gotten A BIT better.

How do you play alongside someone like Greg Bisonette and not step up your game ?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
1) Mike Portnoy: My entire drumming style is basically “what if MP was only an okay drummer”. Almost everything I do involving drums is directly influenced by/stolen from him.
2) James “The Rev” Sullivan: It’s very rare when a drummer is also a band’s best songwriter. Jimmy put the music first, and as a result his drum parts were always creative and sounded fresh. He is missed and will be loved forever.
3) Lars Ulrich: I actually like the random fills, and I incorporate that style into my drumming as well. When he practices, Lars is actually a great drummer, and his 80’s and early 90’s output, especially the drumming on AJFA shows how great he could be.
4) Neil Peart: Precision is the word I would use to describe Neil’s drumming. There was never a hit out of place, and even with modern quantizing tools, you can barely tell the difference. The man was brilliant as a drummer, writer, arranger, and overall musician. There’s a reason he’s ranked as one of the all time greats not just in rock, but music in general.
5) Mike Mangini: There was no better drummer to replace Portnoy than Mangini, mostly because there’s probably no better drummer on the planet. The only reason he’s not ranked higher is because I can actually somewhat play the parts of the other four drummers on this list. MM represents the pinnacle of drummer virtuosity, but he doesn’t sacrifice musicality to achieve it. He uses his ridiculous ability to play drums like he’s conducting an orchestra, accenting what the rest of the band around him is doing. It’s inspiring to hear drums treated like a musical instrument and not like something just meant to keep time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2021, 03:50:12 PM »
Fun fact I noticed about Lars recently.

Unlike someone like Portnoy - he doesn't have that signature fill that he does in every song. He actually does play for the song.

Every song on The Black Album for instance has different fills. That's what he does best. Comes up with interesting parts for the song.

You never listen to 5 Metallica songs in a row and hear the exact same fill again and again.

Portnoy is a really good drummer - but once I noticed that - yeah - he does play the same fills a LOT .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
Keith had a very specific personality. I would never call him fearless. Quite the contrary, I think he was petrified and consequently his playing and his personality were defense mechanisms. I’ll talk loudly so you don’t realize that I don’t know what to say. I’ll act crazy so you won’t realize that I don’t know how to act. I’ll make jokes and be silly so you don’t know that I’m frightened and sad. He was manic. I’ll play loudly with lot’s of notes so you can’t tell that I’m not a very good drummer. Because of his insecurities and whatever he might have been suffering from, he compensated and often over compensated.

Interesting assessment, except for the part about not being a very good drummer.  I do not know anything about music, outside of what I enjoy and what makes me happy. All I can add from that standpoint, and from what little I've read about the band, is that Keith was the exact drummer the guys needed. And no one else could have filled that role better.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
A few days ago I watched a documentary on Netflix about drummers called Count Me In. Some well- known and some lesser-known drummers enthusiastically discussing their love of drums, and their favourite drummers. Kind a fun watch, though one glaring omission is that there was no mention of Neil Peart.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »

1) Mike Portnoy: My entire drumming style is basically “what if MP was only an okay drummer”. Almost everything I do involving drums is directly influenced by/stolen from him.

This is kind of me as well.  I used to always hear people talk about how limited his bag of tricks was compared to the super drummers, and it's true, but what he does just sounds good and works.  So I overuse the HHKK and HHHHKK sort of stuff as well, it's too fun not to, and as a casual drummer my mastery of rudiments and other more creative things only goes so far. 

3) Lars Ulrich: I actually like the random fills, and I incorporate that style into my drumming as well. When he practices, Lars is actually a great drummer, and his 80’s and early 90’s output, especially the drumming on AJFA shows how great he could be.

Or how great the engineers who worked on the album were at splicing together takes to make them sound cohesive.  Lars always simplifies the trickiest stuff on the album when they play it live, like "Dyers' Eve". 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2021, 04:06:40 PM »
A few days ago I watched a documentary on Netflix about drummers called Count Me In. Some well- known and some lesser-known drummers enthusiastically discussing their love of drums, and their favourite drummers. Kind a fun watch, though one glaring omission is that there was no mention of Neil Peart.

Oh.,.then Count Me Out!  ;D :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »

Oh.,.then Count Me Out!  ;D :lol

Why am I now thinking of the Count from Sesame Street?  :laugh:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2021, 04:14:27 PM »
I have no issue with someone rating Lars as one of their favorite drummers. Metallica has been an influential band for almost 40 years. His drum parts are cemented in many of our brains. Sure, plenty of guys can drum around him, but how many people did....I don't know..Thomas Lang inspire to play the drums? I feel like if you've heard of Thomas Lang, you already played the drums. I've been an extremely dedicated music fan for 40 years, and I never heard of Thomas Lang until the DT auditions, and I've never heard of him since.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
1. Pick Withers (first 4 Dire Straits albums). Everything he played just seemed so perfect for the music and complimented Knopfler's stories so well (case in point being the 'galloping' drum work during the 4-minute outro of Telegraph Road which helps paint the picture of neverending motion that the song described).

2. John Bonham. Nuff said.

3.  Nick Mason. Not exactly what you'd call a technically gifted drummer (he didn't even play some of the drum parts on the later Floyd albums) but what he did play back in the early to mid 70s was so tasteful, thoughtful, and 'right' for the music.

4. Danny Carey. Rosetta Stoned. I rest my case. Fella's using baseball bats instead of drum sticks. And that solo album he released in 2019, Fear Inoculum, was amazing.

5. Mike Portnoy. In The Name of God is probably my single favourite drum performance ever.

Bonus material:

6. Phil Collins. The (in)famous 9/8 section of Supper's Ready would be nothing like as thrilling as it is without his contribution. Ditto the entire Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album (Fly On A Windshield anyone?).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2021, 04:26:31 PM »

It just adds to my theory that you aren't allowed to dislike any "classic" musicians.

C'mon man. You can dislike anyone you want. What you can't do is deny someone's influence in the face of endless testimonials.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
3.  Nick Mason. Not exactly what you'd call a technically gifted drummer (he didn't even play some of the drum parts on the later Floyd albums) but what he did play back in the early to mid 70s was so tasteful, thoughtful, and 'right' for the music.

When did that start? I had never heard that. It was nice to see Guy Pratt say he was solid as a rock on that Saucerful of Secrets tour, and he played with Nick as far back as the late 80s. Watch their video, he doesn't look like a guy in his 70s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »

When did that start? I had never heard that. It was nice to see Guy Pratt say he was solid as a rock on that Saucerful of Secrets tour, and he played with Nick as far back as the late 80s. Watch their video, he doesn't look like a guy in his 70s.

I know that Jeff Porcaro played the drums on the studio version of Mother from The Wall.  I think Mason couldn't get the tempo right, and they wanted to keep it moving, so they had Porcaro knock it out quickly, IIRC.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2021, 04:39:48 PM »

From The Wall onwards. Jeff Porcaro plays on Mother and Bring The Boys Back Home, and the record's engineer James Guthrie did some other percussion work. And then on the next album, The Final Cut, Mason wasn't able to get the drums right on Two Suns in the Sunset so they drafted in a session player (Andy Newmark).

The 2 post-Waters albums were both done by committee, God only knows who was playing what on them.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »
Keith had a very specific personality. I would never call him fearless. Quite the contrary, I think he was petrified and consequently his playing and his personality were defense mechanisms. I’ll talk loudly so you don’t realize that I don’t know what to say. I’ll act crazy so you won’t realize that I don’t know how to act. I’ll make jokes and be silly so you don’t know that I’m frightened and sad. He was manic. I’ll play loudly with lot’s of notes so you can’t tell that I’m not a very good drummer. Because of his insecurities and whatever he might have been suffering from, he compensated and often over compensated.

Interesting assessment, except for the part about not being a very good drummer.  I do not know anything about music, outside of what I enjoy and what makes me happy. All I can add from that standpoint, and from what little I've read about the band, is that Keith was the exact drummer the guys needed. And no one else could have filled that role better.

That's a great line, and probably exactly what Pete would say if confronted with the same question.

As to Moon's skills, I'd imagine Keegan's comment is tongue in cheek, I know from talking to Jimmy that Moon is his most highly respected drummer. And aside, I'd trust his assessment of a drummer wayyyyy over any of ours as a musician who has toured internationally with some serious talents.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »
Huh never knew that. As I typed in another thread, I know nothing about music, so pardon me for asking, but how does a drummer, who has played as part of a wildly successful band for decades, have trouble "getting the tempo right?"

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »
Dead:

Cozy Powell
Eric Carr
Neil Peart

Living:

John Macaluso
Kevin Soffera
Glen Sobel
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Huh never knew that. As I typed in another thread, I know nothing about music, so pardon me for asking, but how does a drummer, who has played as part of a wildly successful band for decades, have trouble "getting the tempo right?"

Honestly that confuses me too and I don't know the answer to it. There are stories from those who were there of how no matter how many times he attempted it, Two Suns in the Sunset was simply beyond him, yet for the life of me I can't hear what is so difficult in that song. But I also know next to nothing about music so it's very possible I'm missing something, maybe it's the Eruption of drumming.