Author Topic: Orchestral moments in metal music  (Read 1140 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Orchestral moments in metal music
« on: April 15, 2023, 12:32:36 PM »
I thought about this subject the other day. I'm not sure a similar thread exist if so, merge or delete this.

So we all know that classical music and metal music works so great together or in conjunction. So many examples of bands using an orchestra to enhance their musical ideas either by using sections with strings or a full blown orchestra.

What's your favourite moment/s when those two worlds just aligns so perfectly?

It dosen't have to be pure Symphonic metal it can just be an intro, a section in a song, a whole song, or even an album or whatever.

For me i'm always drawn to when it's real musicians that plays though and not programmed music like some bands do which of course probably is for financial reasons.

Here's some on the top of my head, most of these are intros though.

Xibir - Dimmu Borgir
Sounds Of Pre-existence - Darkane
Amnesia Of The Wildoerian Apocalypse - Darkane
Themes and Variations in D-Minor - In Flames (More a tribute though but it's so well done)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Orchestral moments in metal music
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 12:35:25 PM »
Ho boy, I am all about this style. I'll post some of my favourites soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 12:45:27 PM »
It's a shitty song, but I love the way Bob Ezrin folded in Beethoven's Pathetique Piano Sonata into Kiss's "Great Expectations".  Not kidding.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 05:27:47 PM »
It's a shitty song, but I love the way Bob Ezrin folded in Beethoven's Pathetique Piano Sonata into Kiss's "Great Expectations".  Not kidding.

I was probably in the 4th or 5th grade and my brother and I were listening to Destroyer and my mother walked in the bedroom during the line "And then you stand and clutch your breast", and she promptly walked out. My brother (who is a year younger) looks at me and says, "I think she heard that."  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 10:44:22 AM »

I was probably in the 4th or 5th grade and my brother and I were listening to Destroyer and my mother walked in the bedroom during the line "And then you stand and clutch your breast", and she promptly walked out. My brother (who is a year younger) looks at me and says, "I think she heard that."  :lol

HAHA.   I'm not even sure that's the worst line in the song, either.   Not Gene's finest hour.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 11:27:55 AM »
I'm sure I'll think of more later, but off the top of my head, "Misunderstood" - Motley Crue. 

Offline Animal

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 11:15:18 PM »
For me, Opeth used to have this "orchestral" vibe. Interestingly, it was only back then when they didn't use keyboards and just painted nice walls of sound with their guitars only.

I mean songs like:    The Moor (that intro, starting at pp and getting louder, reminds me of how quite a few classical symphonies start), Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park, April Ethereal.....or evel older stuff like A Nigth and the SIlent Water (these would kick ass if they got the whole orchestra treatment).

Offline Animal

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 11:17:37 PM »
On a deeper reflection, this thread gives me and idea for the opposite one - "Metal moments in classical music". I could think of more than few cool examples...

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 05:35:35 AM »
On a deeper reflection, this thread gives me and idea for the opposite one - "Metal moments in classical music". I could think of more than few cool examples...
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Animal

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 06:07:03 AM »

Yeahh...Vivaldi was a metalhead before the age of electricity.....