Author Topic: Down with genre snobbery!  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Down with genre snobbery!
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
I know. That's why I listen to it.
:o Me too! :millahhhh

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
There is good music in every genre. I just tend to find that most of my favourite music is proggy.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
I know. That's why I listen to it.
:o Me too! :millahhhh
both of you guys too?! I thought I only listened to Noise music because it's great  :eek
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
Dangit, if another person likes it we will have to defend ourselves by saying we liked it before it was cool.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
Generally speaking, yes, genres are not really necessary, but they are extremely helpful when it comes to reviews, recommendations, etc.  For example, if someone is writing a review for a new band, instead of using all kinds of descriptive words, it is sometimes necessary to say that they sound like this or that band or that they are similar to said genre, which helps a possible listener get some type of idea of what they might sound like.  

There's a good point in this post. I agree with it.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
I guess the only real difference between a "snob" and a plain old "hater" is the fact that the prog/jazz/classical elitist has the wherewithal to write a 50-page dissertation on why X genre of music is superior to every other form, pontificating on the merits of polymeter, hocketing, invertible counterpoint.... whereas the rap/country guy couldn't be arsed.   :)  
Though the "haters" do have more flair for demonstrating their opinions publicly, such as taking a baseball bat to your truck or putting a boot in your ass.  All prog snobs can do is graffiti 2112 on the side of someone's house.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
My life improved drastically when I stopped being such a snob (and viewing Dream Theater as the be-all end-all of good music). I remember making fun of a Green Day song because the solo was "too simple" :lol

I try to find value in all kinds of music now and ironically, I've developed a certain affinity for pop. I'm probably a bit guilty of the "reverse snobbery" when it comes to prog metal, too. Oops. 

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
I used to be like that when I first started listening to DT/progressive metal. Claiming it was better than everything else, calling mainstream music crap, etc.

Than I grew up and realized that theres some sort of value in EVERY form of music; mainstream or not.
This, pretty much.

It appears to be the older DTFers that are more accepting of other music, while the youngsters are defending their snobbery.  .  
Hmm, not sure about that. My current generation has grown up with the Internet, which in itself is perhaps the ultimate tool in broadening ones horizons. Consequently, it's only a matter of time before you are exposed to music you didn't think you like which you do now. Humans are creatures of habit and I've noticed older people generally believe they've "worked out" what they like and don't like and they feel no compulsion to stray into new territory. This is completely understandable, but contrary to your above point. I think you'd be surprised if you visited the jazz, hip-hop, electronic, ambient or classical music thread how many 'youngins you find.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
I agree with Portucci about the Internet.  Lots of kids my age (college) like the following genres and listen to them with some regularity (in my experience):

-Alternative Rock (can include some emo or punk)
-Folk
-Indie Rock
-Indie Folk
-Electronic
-Classic Rock

Whether they're just being hipsters or not is another matter, but still, that's already a pretty broad taste in music.  Most of it is thanks to the Internet helping people discover bands they like.  This forum and plenty of its members have been instrumental in broadening my horizons.  Those who look for new music on the Internet, young and old, are bound to expand their horizons to great lengths.  Its like magic or something.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Yeah, I think if anything the internet is helping younger generations become more open-minded about music.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Meanwhile, you almost never hear of a rap snob, or a country or punk snob.

Almost never.  My cousin is an exception to the rule.  My wife and I drove 6 hours to pick her up a week ago; we listened to nothing but her type of music all the way down (Rap, Hip Hop, RnB, Shitty Dance Music, Reggae ad nauseam).  She stays at our house (my wife and I + my brother and his wife) and plays her music on the stereo any time she feels like it, and puts it on in the car whenever we go somewhere.

The kicker;  after 2 weeks of putting up with all of her music without saying a word about it (other than asking her to skip the ones with questionable lyrics), I decide to put on a Jeff Buckley CD in the car.  After a minute she has a mental fit and says "I CAN'T STAND THIS SHIT!" and yanks it out of the CD player.

What a fucking spoilt, selfish music snob.  I wanted to punch her in the mouth right then and there.  FUCKING ANGRRRRRYYYYYYY. 

Pardon the questionable lyrics.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
Wait, she was staying at your house during all of this?

I would have told her to stop being a bitch and put on whatever the hell I felt like, if she didn't like that she could find another place to stay.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
Wait, she was staying at your house during all of this?

I would have told her to stop being a bitch and put on whatever the hell I felt like, if she didn't like that she could find another place to stay.

My brother and his wife own the house.  My wife and I board with them.  So... awkward situation.  She's pretty much the rudest person I've ever met.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
Ah, damn.  That really sucks. :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I got through such a phase too, didn't last very long though. For a while, I thought I had found the best music genre in the world, but it turned out I'm wrong.

I would like to say though, prog was definately the thing that opened me up to all kinds of music, because it has such a broad scope when done right. Idk, prog is still great. And by 'prog', I don't mean Sonata Arctica.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
got into prog, thought it was the best genre of music, was a childish snob about it, stopped being stupid, got into other genres, now I dont even like prog anymore but i appreciate it for getting me into other genres

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »
got into prog, thought it was the best genre of music, was a childish snob about it, stopped being stupid, got into other genres, now I dont even like prog anymore but i appreciate it for getting me into other genres

I'm into prog heavily now, but my perception of prog is bit different than before. First I thought it was all about instrumental madness, time sigs and solos. Now I think of prog as merely 'forward-thinking progressive music'. Even stuff like NIN falls into that category. And yes the stereotypical genre of 70's prog falls into that category as well.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »
I firmly believe prog is not a genre. I'd consider Fleetwood Mac prog, since their songs sound nothing alike and range in style. You could easily make some songs metal. Its like classical, id call that symphony or orchestral.

I don't know, genres are getting out of hand especially when reviewers say this band sounds like this band mixed with this genre. Ok but it would be better to be creative in describing the sound. Something like "it sounds like an array of falcons getting ready to dive bomb their prey in the midst of winter" now that sounds interesting and would make me want to buy the album for that album, not because they sound like said band. Which is why I would enjoy a death rap album, or symphonic funk, and also why I love Imperfect Harmonies.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
I firmly believe prog is not a genre.

Prog is a genre, but other genres can be progressive.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
Prog is prog.  Which came first, the chicken or the Prog?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »

I'm into prog heavily now, but my perception of prog is bit different than before. First I thought it was all about instrumental madness, time sigs and solos. Now I think of prog as merely 'forward-thinking progressive music'. Even stuff like NIN falls into that category. And yes the stereotypical genre of 70's prog falls into that category as well.

i like music with progressive elements, but hate most bands considered 'prog metal'

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
Most prog metal bands are terrible, agreed.

Offline j

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
Most prog metal bands are terrible, agreed.

Yep.

Like any other genre, you gotta look to find the good stuff.

-J

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »
Prog snobbery is mostly illusory in my opinion.  The only ones guilty of it are not really that knowledgeable about prog and seem to be most susceptible to becoming anti-prog snobs later on.

Maybe it's semantics, but is this guy a snob? https://rateyourmusic.com/~hdfisch Technically maybe he's a snob, but to my mind, he's pretty damn knowledgeable so it transcends snobbery (kind of like the "it's not cockiness if you can do it" principle).

The guy who likes Dream Theater, Rush and a few other bands that are popular at a forum at a given time doesn't even merit the label of a true "prog" fan, much less a "snob."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »
Yeah, "snob" is a word that different people define differently.

You're right about that guy being knowledgeable enough that the word snob doesn't really fit, but his attitude is still closed-minded on the basis that he writes-off entire genres as "boring and redundant", and I think that's more what we're getting at in this thread.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.