Iron Maiden
116 (77.3%)
Judas Priest
12 (8%)
Both / Undecided / HOW DO I CHOOSE?
13 (8.7%)
neither. not much of a fan of either
8 (5.3%)
(enter random former DT band member here)
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )  (Read 12536 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
Eh?  I'd say songs like "Killers," "Aces High," "The Wicker Man," and "The Trooper," just to name a few, rip it up just as much as Priest tunes can.  But remember, for every "Painkiller," there are five "Pain for Pleasures." :)  Also, I've never seen any sign that Bruce has a huge ego or suffers from some kind of pretentiousness.  Same goes for all of Maiden, actually. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
I spent a few minutes looking for Maiden's answer to Rapid Fire (as a fine example of Priest's power), and had a pretty tough go at it.  Although there are a few.  The best I came up with was Be Quick or Be Dead

However, the important thing here is that Maiden absolutely can write songs with that level of aggression, while Priest isn't rally capable of writing the more contemplative songs that Maiden is known for.  Again, it's apples and oranges, but I think Maiden is much more capable of playing Priest's game than vice versa.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
I think the thing that seperated Maiden from the rest of the field is that they've never really used that "razor" type guitar riff. They just don't have that "sound".

Bart, you're right about Be Quick Or Br Dead. I was thinking about that. I might also  include other tracks like Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, and Montesegeur.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
I think the thing that seperated Maiden from the rest of the field is that they've never really used that "razor" type guitar riff. They just don't have that "sound".

Bart, you're right about Be Quick Or Br Dead. I was thinking about that. I might also  include other tracks like Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, and Montesegeur.

Oh man, forgot about that song in my last post.  One of my favs from DoD.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
I spent a few minutes looking for Maiden's answer to Rapid Fire (as a fine example of Priest's power), and had a pretty tough go at it.  Although there are a few.  The best I came up with was Be Quick or Be Dead

However, the important thing here is that Maiden absolutely can write songs with that level of aggression, while Priest isn't rally capable of writing the more contemplative songs that Maiden is known for.  Again, it's apples and oranges, but I think Maiden is much more capable of playing Priest's game than vice versa.

great post..

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
this thread is a big FAIL. the intent was to see who everyone thinks is the BIGGER band, not which ones you prefer. but it's not obviously stated in the OP, but a few replies down...  :facepalm:  not to mention the unnecessary extra options.

Who cares what that other thread was about?  That was that thread.  This is this one.  You don't need a poll to show which band was bigger--you can do the research and see what the numbers say.  Last time I checked, you aren't in charge of deciding what any particular thread is or is not about, so kindly take your complaining somewhere else.

Even if he did have a complaining tone, in darkshade's defense, the other thread was debating who was bigger, and this thread was made to take the off-topicness somewhere else...but the OPs thread seems to be about who everyone thinks is better, as opposed to some kind of observable popularity (which is more objective, IMO).  Oh well.  Not that big a deal anyways.

In any case, darkshade, I am not the OP.  lrn2readlol

its all good. i was just trying to help make aware the original purpose of this thread

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2010, 06:38:36 PM »

Bart, you're right about Be Quick Or Br Dead. I was thinking about that. I might also  include other tracks like Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, and Montesegeur.

Aces High I'd say is a good call..

I loved that Priest won a Grammy the other year for Dissadent Agressor.. :metal
finally after 4 other nominations they finally got one!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:30:59 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »
Over all, this is a very tough call, as I have loved both of these bands for years, to say nothing of the influence they have had on the metal genre.  Honestly, though, the way I think of it is like this:

I'll take Priest at their best over Maiden any day.  As much as I love Maiden, the really good Priest albums, Like Painkiller, Defenders, and Stained Class, are far and away better then anything Maiden has ever done, IMO.  However, Priest certainly has their WTF moments, and, sadly, they've had many of them.  For every Painkiller, there is a Turbo; and for every DotF, there is a Demolition.  While I prefer it when a band takes musical risks and tries something new with every album (which is a big part of why I like Dream Theater so much), that really only works if the end result is actually something good.  Turbo is a perfect example of this: The title track is awesome, and if the whole album sounded that good, it would have been a fantastic record.  But after that, it just becomes 80's glam 101, and while the songs aren't really bad per se, they aren't really anything special.  Or take 2001's Demolition.  I find it ironic that Priest actually managed to make a pretty decent album without Halford when they did Jugulator, and by and large, alot of the new things they were doing on that album worked.  So they actually succeeded where Maiden and so many others had failed with a new vocalist, only to throw it all away with a lackluster follow up.  Demolition was a mess of styles and creativity, as if Glenn and KK had no idea of how they wanted to "modernize" the classic Judas Priest sound, even though they had already attained that on Jugulator.

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, has never really changed that much over the past 35 years, and despite going through their ups and downs, it has worked for them.  The biggest musical sin they committed was not picking a Dickenson wannabe when Bruce left the band (like Priest had done with Ripper, who actually could do the Halford material justice live).  Other then that relatively minor stumble in the mid 90's, though, Maiden's career has been surprisingly solid, and for good reason.  Like AC/DC, Maiden found a musical formula that works for them and their fans, and they stuck with it.  As much as I love it when bands try something new, there is something to be said for sticking to your roots, and while I may not feel that Maiden has as many "classic" albums as Priest, I know I can pop in any Maiden record and enjoy it.  Every musical genre needs a constant, something that is always there and never changes, and Iron Maiden is probably the biggest constant in metal (Motorhead is probably a close second).  With Priest, its more hit or miss.

I guess what I am getting at here is that as much as I love Priest and respect them for what they've done for metal (and in all honesty, they do deserve more respect and credit for making metal what it is today then Maiden), taking their discographies as a whole, Maiden has been more consistent in the quality of music they put out, and as such, have an overall higher proportion of quality material.  When the history of metal is written, I believe metalheads of the future will look back more favorably on Maiden then on Priest because of that unwavering devotion to their stylistic roots and relatively consistent artistic excellence.  They will no doubt fondly look upon the the peaks of Priest's career as well, but they will find little to admire in the valleys that lie between them.  So for that reason, I vote for Iron Maiden as the overall better band.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:01:13 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
Maiden fucking eats Priest for breakfast.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:51 AM »
I like both bands, but I choose Iron Maiden far and away. Iron Maiden makes my top 10 bands and Judas Priest doesn't come close to cracking the top 20 (I only keep track of the top 20). Iron Maiden I can listen to any time and love it. Judas Priest is the kind of band that I have to be in the mood to listen to (and that doesn't happen all that frequently).
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:07 AM »
DUDE, WTF?

I mean it's okay that you prefer Maiden and I can see why would you, but from that to eating the Priest for breakfast, COME ON.

I personally prefer Judas Priest, but as I've said, I can see why Maiden is the favorite. A more consistent discography, better shows nowadays, great songwriters all over their career.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
Does the fact that Judas are going to be doin a Farewell tour hinder the results?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »
DUDE, WTF?

I mean it's okay that you prefer Maiden and I can see why would you, but from that to eating the Priest for breakfast, COME ON.

God forbid we use hyperbole to express our opinions.  I agree with Gadough.

@Ben: Are you saying they hinder the results in favor of Priest or in favor of Maiden?  If anything they should be hindering them in favor of Priest, but 1. that doesn't seem to be the case and 2. I didn't even know Priest were doing a farewell tour until I read that JP interview.  Basically I don't know what you're trying to say, sorry.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2019, 02:45:53 AM »
According to poll results (Maiden is winning by a massive landslide) this place is like the second Iron Maiden forum (besides being the second Rush forum).   :biggrin:

I have to pick Maiden too, but JP is definitely not far behind.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2019, 03:58:14 AM »
, lunch and dinner.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Art

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
I love Priest, but c'mon...Maiden is number one.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »
I think this tread was before my time, but let me weigh in:

Maiden, and it's not even close.

Don't get me wrong, I love Priest.  I think Halford is one of the greatest metal singers EVER ("Run Of The Mill" is incomprehensible to me how a human can sing all that).  I think Tipton and Downing are good, and while it's unpopular to say, I really liked Dave Holland's drumming.   Ian Hill was great on the two songs he played on (the aforementioned Run of the Mill, and The Rage).   I used to sing two Priest songs in my band (United and Living After Midnight).   But I think they're just a shade too cartoon-y for me. I'm not really down (and never was, so it's not age) with the whole "METTLE GOD" thing.   This is hard to articulate without examples but I think there's a more calculatedness about Priest.   I can remember interviews where they talked about "the management" and I remember Glenn making a point that "they don't play to their ultimate capability in Priest" and it just screamed of... "product".  On the remasters, the studio songs were "recorded during the earlier years of our career" and the live songs were "recorded live during one of our many world tours" or something like that.  It took fans about nine minutes to figure out that all the live songs were from I think three heavily bootlegged, heavily distributed live shows.   Contrast with Maiden where they write songs about Rod and Dave just says "I don't know, I just fuckin' play, man."  All their albums have versions with complete b-sides and every live song has a name, place and date to it.

I know this sounds petty, but the devil is in the details.  There's no bullshit with Maiden.  It is what it is.

For me, Dickinson is the greatest metal (and I might say "rock") frontman in history, and I just kind of like Steve Harris' straightforward approach to things.  He carries the flag for metal - I don't think there's ANYONE that would say he's not steadfast in his allegiance to his music - but does it in a more...  everyman sort of way.  I also prefer the more melodic approach to soloing from Dave Murray (I don't think I can name any KK or Glenn solo quite like, say, Another Life).   

Full disclosure, my first concert ever was Priest on the Screaming tour with Maiden (on the Beast tour) opening.   It literally changed my life.  That 45 minutes of Maiden was like nothing I've ever seen.  I can't really remember it now, it's more a feeling and an impression, but it was something else.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
This thread is back from the dead!

8 years and nothing has changed for me Maiden > Priest all day every day.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
Maiden, easily. But over the last decade or so, I've really become a Judas Priest fan. So technically, both, but I like Iron Maiden more.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online pg1067

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »
These are surprising results.  I voted for Maiden, but 78-11?!  Wow.

I guess it's just because Priest had twice as may albums as Maiden when I first got into both bands (after Piece of Mind and Screaming for Vengeance, but before Powerslave and Defenders of the Faith), I always viewed Priest as more of an "older" band.  Priest albums always had a few skippable tracks, and certainly more than Maiden.  Priest was also more overtly blues-based than Maiden.  Also,

Halford > Dickinson >> Di'Anno
Murray/Smith = Tipton/Downing
Harris >>>>> Hill (this is particularly important because I've always been drawn to bands with strong bass players)
McBain >> Downing (although Travis > McBain)

All that puts Maiden on top, but it's not by a wide margin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
Heh, when this popped back up I started reading back from the beginning (I'd forgotten that EPICVIEW posted outside of PR :lol). Now I'm at the restart 9 years later and people are making the exact same comments. Some things never change.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
 :lol

And these results are not surprising.

Judas Priest are starting to play theaters or need another big name to play the amphitheaters here in the states while IM are still selling out arenas on their own.  JP just aren't as popular with younger people like IM are.  I'm not a JP fan, but I understand their recent output was fairly popular with their fans, but they don't have 20 years of consistency like IM do since the 99 reunion.  Its why IM have a huge fan base of the next generation of metal fans where as JP do not. 

Offline max_security

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
35 years ago this poll would be much closer ( and done with pencil and paper , lol ). Couple tokes of good stuff and " To Tame A Land " through a decent stereo settled this discussion on a few occasions for me ( regarding who is " better " ). Priest was the more popular band in my area by far however.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
:lol

And these results are not surprising.

Judas Priest are starting to play theaters or need another big name to play the amphitheaters here in the states while IM are still selling out arenas on their own.  JP just aren't as popular with younger people like IM are.  I'm not a JP fan, but I understand their recent output was fairly popular with their fans, but they don't have 20 years of consistency like IM do since the 99 reunion.  Its why IM have a huge fan base of the next generation of metal fans where as JP do not.

Why do you think that is?  Lineup changes?   The material?  The fact that Rob is older and - no disrespect - maybe isn't holding up as well as Bruce? 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2019, 07:49:28 AM »
If we want to compare reunions:

Iron Maiden:
20 years, five studio albums with various degrees of acclaim but no real turd, constant touring alternating album tours and classic tours, no line up chganges.

Judas Priest:
16 years, four studio albums with a very controversial one (I love it but let's face it, I'm in the vast minority), and just regular tours with the only exception being the farewell tour except it wasn't, and one key member retiring and now a second one forced to step down by health issues.

Also, Maiden always played the shit out of new albums and one in its entirety, while Priest just went along with the usual 3-4 new songs routine and then all classics.

I think Iron Maiden managed to create fans in the third millennium while Priest just carry on with their older ones. Of course there are tons of young Priest fans but they didn't even come close to how Maiden managed to reinvigorate and sustain a whole new fanbase.

BTW, I like a LOT Judas Priest, I've always enjoyed their live shows, but when it's a match against Iron Maiden....... Maiden win by a gigantic landslide.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
As a more relatively younger guy that didn't see Priest or Maiden in the 80s, I would have to say Maiden by a distance.  It's for reasons that's already explained.  It's quite telling when I decided to pass on a Groupon deal for Judas Priest and Deep Purple at the local amphitheater for around $35.00 or so for a nosebleed seat, but for Iron Maiden's upcoming show in LA in a larger venue, it was a no brainer at all to spend $70 (fees included) on Ticketmaster for a nosebleed seat for one of their classic tour sets.  I would always prefer new album tours > classic, but at this point, who knows when Maiden will come back to LA anyway?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »
Both bands are in the Big 4 along with Sabbath and Metallica. I go through phases - sometimes I’m in the mood for Priest’s more concise, harder-hitting approach and sometimes I’m in the mood for the epicness of Maiden. I slightly prefer Maiden in general but in the past 6 months it’s been mostly JP due to the release of Firepower, and me wanting to back to stuff I rarely listened to like Rocka Rolla. But it’s like choosing between 2 kids right? Between the two bands they’ve written dozens of the best songs to ever grace a metal album. Almost impossible to create a combined top-ten list of songs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »
Both bands are in the Big 4 along with Sabbath and Metallica. I go through phases - sometimes I’m in the mood for Priest’s more concise, harder-hitting approach and sometimes I’m in the mood for the epicness of Maiden. I slightly prefer Maiden in general but in the past 6 months it’s been mostly JP due to the release of Firepower, and me wanting to back to stuff I rarely listened to like Rocka Rolla. But it’s like choosing between 2 kids right? Between the two bands they’ve written dozens of the best songs to ever grace a metal album. Almost impossible to create a combined top-ten list of songs.

Well, the Big Four are Sabbath, Purple, Maiden, and Priest, but that's a quibble.  Even Lars will tell you that (he said as much in the induction speech for Purple into the Rock Hall, though he had a "Big 3" of Purple, Sabbath, and Zeppelin).

By the way, anyone else think Rocka Rolla is an EXCELLENT album?  I've been threatening a Priest discography for a while now, and I think some people will be stunned how high on the list is Rocka Rolla (and what it's higher than). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
Rocka Roll is a damn fine album, and one of the better debuts. I just think some are thrown because it is so different from what they became.  It is more of a hard rock album than a metal one. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
I think the later half of Rocka rolla is incredibly strong and it's a good album overall. Run of the mill might be a top 5 Priest song for me. Also, I love that album cover.  :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2019, 05:44:45 AM »

Well, the Big Four are Sabbath, Purple, Maiden, and Priest, but that's a quibble.  Even Lars will tell you that (he said as much in the induction speech for Purple into the Rock Hall, though he had a "Big 3" of Purple, Sabbath, and Zeppelin).

Deep Purple is not heavy metal, same with Zeppelin. Big Four of British heavy metal are Sabs, Maiden, Priest and Motorhead.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2019, 06:49:59 AM »

Deep Purple is not heavy metal, same with Zeppelin. Big Four of British heavy metal are Sabs, Maiden, Priest and Motorhead.

I don't know if there's an official big 4 of british metal, but I'd put Def Leppard over Motorhead personally.  Although if Deep Purple aren't metal, and I get it, they might not be (although they inspired many metal bands that would come) then maybe Def Leppard isn't so much metal either.  I just think Def Leppard is a bigger and better band than Motorhead essentially.  (the better part is my opinion, I dont think theres any doubt who is bigger between those two)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »

If you listen to Lemmy, neither is Motorhead.   He hated being called that (and musically, I think he was on to something). 

EDIT:  I think Cram is on to something, with the Deep Purple.   No, I get it, you listen to, say, Woman From Tokyo and there is almost zero metal in there, but to his point, there's not a metal player out there that wasn't in some form or fashion influenced by them.   Bruce Dickinson - the greatest metal front man in history, in my opinion, yes, over Dio and Halford - swears on the bible that is "Deep Purple In Rock".  Dio, obviously, was affiliated with the Purple universe (via Rainbow) but what people don't realize is that he (in Elf) opened for Purple early on, worked with Glover on side projects before leaving Elf, and several of the Elf guy went on to work with Ian Gillan in later incarnations of his solo work.  They were HEAVILY influenced by the Mark II Purple.   Don't even get me started on Blackmore's influence; I know I'm biased (he's my favorite musician of all time, ever) but I put him in the same league - in terms of INFLUENCE - as Hendrix, Van Halen, Page and Iommi.  (Interesting tidbit that's not really related to this idea:  there's a very similar riff that appears in Zeppelin (Dazed And Confused), Sabbath (Iron Man) and Purple (Highway Star)).   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:42:42 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »

I don't know if there's an official big 4 of british metal, but I'd put Def Leppard over Motorhead personally.  Although if Deep Purple aren't metal, and I get it, they might not be (although they inspired many metal bands that would come) then maybe Def Leppard isn't so much metal either.  I just think Def Leppard is a bigger and better band than Motorhead essentially.  (the better part is my opinion, I dont think theres any doubt who is bigger between those two)

I can't imagine ever calling Def Leppard a metal band.  Granted, how bands are labeled sometimes changes over time - Blue Oyster Cult was often called metal back in the 70's, but never is anymore - but aside from being thrown into the "hair metal" pile in the later 80's (a subgenre that was more rock than metal in actuality), was Def Leppard even called metal back in the day?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
I see the whole this is metal / this is not metal thing as something that needs to be put into context with the time.

As an example, take the "tallest buildings in the world" list. Once it was the Great Pyramid. Then the Washington Monument I believe, and then a german church. By now it's all super skyscrapers, dwarfing what were once the tallest buildings.

Look at the London Skyline, there's a load of supertall skyscrapers, who almost cast a shadow on the famous St. Paul Cathedral which has a huge, tall circular dome. Is the St. Paul Cathedral a tall building or not? well, sure it is, but now our definition of "tall" has been redefined by giant skyscrapers.

The labels with heavy rock and the likes is the same. Deep Purple were "metal" back in their age, where "metal" replaces "heavier than the rest at the time". Then the actual heavy metal bands arrived and put into context the definition of what heavy was, and of course we realize that Iron Maiden is heavier than Deep Purple. But back when there was no Maiden, to the average listener the riff of Smoke in the Water sounded pretty heavy than most anything.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!