Iron Maiden
116 (77.3%)
Judas Priest
12 (8%)
Both / Undecided / HOW DO I CHOOSE?
13 (8.7%)
neither. not much of a fan of either
8 (5.3%)
(enter random former DT band member here)
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )  (Read 12537 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
this thread is a big FAIL. the intent was to see who everyone thinks is the BIGGER band, not which ones you prefer. but it's not obviously stated in the OP, but a few replies down...  :facepalm:  not to mention the unnecessary extra options.

Who cares what that other thread was about?  That was that thread.  This is this one.  You don't need a poll to show which band was bigger--you can do the research and see what the numbers say.  Last time I checked, you aren't in charge of deciding what any particular thread is or is not about, so kindly take your complaining somewhere else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:27 AM »
Yeah, you did.  I wasn't around in the 80s, so I had no idea that Priest were bigger than Maiden, though I can understand why they were.
If you count 1980-1982, then Priest was bigger, but Maiden owned the 80's versus Priest.

Not according to record sales here in the states .....they were both pretty much equal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography (1980-1990) 7 albums 4 plat (one 2 plat)  3 gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography  (1980-1990) 8 albums 4 plat 4 gold

Wki, both links are the same..but I get your point. And both bands played arenas, but I don't know..the "eyeball" test tells me that Maiden was far more popular. But I'm probably not very objective.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »
this thread is a big FAIL. the intent was to see who everyone thinks is the BIGGER band, not which ones you prefer. but it's not obviously stated in the OP, but a few replies down...  :facepalm:  not to mention the unnecessary extra options.

Who cares what that other thread was about?  That was that thread.  This is this one.  You don't need a poll to show which band was bigger--you can do the research and see what the numbers say.  Last time I checked, you aren't in charge of deciding what any particular thread is or is not about, so kindly take your complaining somewhere else.

the OP stated a few replies down from the original post, that this poll was about who is the bigger band, no necessarily preferred by the members. That is also the reason this whole topic got started.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

Even if he did have a complaining tone, in darkshade's defense, the other thread was debating who was bigger, and this thread was made to take the off-topicness somewhere else...but the OPs thread seems to be about who everyone thinks is better, as opposed to some kind of observable popularity (which is more objective, IMO).  Oh well.  Not that big a deal anyways.

In any case, darkshade, I am not the OP.  lrn2readlol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
Maiden has the volume of music, but to me. much of it is soooo similar that I just yawn.
And that's a valid criticism, but rarely did Maiden do something that just sucked.  Priest's catalog is very diverse, but it's littered with bad songs and bad albums.  Once you get past the first 5, they're remarkably hit & miss.

Maiden is nothing if not consistent.  Honestly, I don't think they became formulaic until the last few albums.  And even then, each of those have some oddball tracks that aren't even remotely their customary style. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »
Yeah, you did.  I wasn't around in the 80s, so I had no idea that Priest were bigger than Maiden, though I can understand why they were.
If you count 1980-1982, then Priest was bigger, but Maiden owned the 80's versus Priest.

Not according to record sales here in the states .....they were both pretty much equal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography (1980-1990) 7 albums 4 plat (one 2 plat)  3 gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography  (1980-1990) 8 albums 4 plat 4 gold

Wki, both links are the same..but I get your point. And both bands played arenas, but I don't know..the "eyeball" test tells me that Maiden was far more popular. But I'm probably not very objective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden_discography  my bad....Maiden merchandise definately outsold that of Priest..I mean come on who during the 80's didn't own an Eddie shirt of some kind
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
In 1988, I probably could've worn a different Eddie shirt every day for about 3 weeks! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
I cant see Bruce really doing the beautiful vocals of Rob.. like last rose of summer etc.

Amen to that.  I think everyone, even though of us who greatly prefer Priest and/or Halford, would agree that Dickinson's voice has aged better than Halford's, but in his heyday, Halford was far superior, IMO.  And like you said, Dickinson couldn't touch Halford when it came to doing mellower, beautiful vocals.  I have never heard anything by Dickinson that can touch the sheer combined power and beauty of Halford's vocals in "Before the Dawn."

or anything on Sad Wings of Destiny.. Robs vocals are superior in so many ways.. Bruce is very one dimensional..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »
Halford sounds like a metal Neil Young on SWOD. A great album, but sometimes I'm thinking.. what's he singing to?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
Maiden has the volume of music, but to me. much of it is soooo similar that I just yawn.
And that's a valid criticism, but rarely did Maiden do something that just sucked.  Priest's catalog is very diverse, but it's littered with bad songs and bad albums.  Once you get past the first 5, they're remarkably hit & miss.

Maiden is nothing if not consistent.  Honestly, I don't think they became formulaic until the last few albums.  And even then, each of those have some oddball tracks that aren't even remotely their customary style.  

Maiden plays way too safe for my liking...to me they havent changed since powerslave very much.. Id welcome the "hit and miss" and when Maiden writes a song that hits as hard at STEELER, then I will elevate them
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:39:42 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
In 1988, I probably could've worn a different Eddie shirt every day for about 3 weeks! :D

And I dont doubt that for a minute  :tup
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »

I bet you probably wore the same Eddie shirty every day for 3 weeks.. :biggrin:

Halford sounds like a metal Neil Young on SWOD. A great album, but sometimes I'm thinking.. what's he singing to?

Actually, that's what I like about his vocals on SWOD.  He's sort of in a middle ground between hippie/hard rock vocals and developing that distinct metal style of his.  I think Halford was very much influenced by the Neil Young folky side of things as evidenced by covers like Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez, Better By You, Better Than Me by Spooky Tooth and Green Manalishi by Fleetwood Mac.

edit:  3 AMAZING covers, I should add
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:21:27 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »

I bet you probably wore the same Eddie shirty every day for 3 weeks.. :biggrin:

I'm sure it happened! :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »
I love how some one keeps saying I said this was about who is bigger. I even stated that I prefer Maiden over Priest... which would mean the direction of the thread was leaning towards favourites and not with "how big they are"  (giggity).

go ahead and argue both. Its all good. Just be nice
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
Its not about who is bigger, as how is bigger defined.?

its about who is better, more influencial, and subjectively makes better music.

to me the nod again goes to JUDAS, as without Judas taking Maiden out on the killers tour, who knows if Maiden would have been so accepted, remember that JUDAS took Maiden out on a few tours, it got the point that we only thought of them as "Judas's opener"  remember there were lots of rock/quasi metal bands( Saxon) that would have sold their soul for that opening gig...most metal bands failed, Maiden was not nearly as mind blowing back then..Paul I thought was a more interesting front man..his voice seemed to allow the band to show through better, Bruce to me was them trying to get their own Halford..

Plus: Rob was larger then life.. he was magic, his presence was unreal.. his voice was mind numbing. I remember being at the Paladium in NYC( 1980?) and when he brought the bike out we thought the building was going to cave in, he OWNED.

Bruce just ran around howling in comparison..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:49:17 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »
Two problems there.  For one thing, opening for Priest really had nothing to do with most of their popularity.  They were already signed with a major label and quite popular in the Uk.  Their US success was more the result of Run to the Hills and Trooper/Flight of Icarus.  Their world-wide popularity is the culmination of a shitload of touring over the years. 

The other thing is that it wouldn't matter if they did owe their success to Priest.  The topic isn't who was better in 1979.  I'd say that Maiden surpassed them in nearly every way over the last 30 years.  Priest was an awesome band for about 10 years then fizzled out.  Maiden's more popular now than ever.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
Iron Maiden :birch:

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Both have had a massive influence on metal, both have gained a huge popularity for a reason, and I love both for different reasons. Can't choose.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
Maiden

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »

Plus: Rob was larger then life.. he was magic, his presence was unreal.. his voice was mind numbing. I remember being at the Paladium in NYC( 1980?) and when he brought the bike out we thought the building was going to cave in, he OWNED.
Listening to the 11/4/79 Palladium show right now! :metal

Offline TL

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
These days, Maiden are definitely bigger than Priest. I know a ton of people who are moderate to hardcore IM fans, whereas with Priest, while I certainly know people who have an album or some songs on their MP3 player, I don't know anyone who specifically claims to be a Judas Priest fan.

I like both, but Iron Maiden are definitely bigger now. Here in Canada, I think IM have always been bigger.

Looking at their discographies, Canadian certifications (studio albums only);
Iron Maiden: 3 Multi-platinum, 5 Platinum, 3 Gold
Judas Priest: 0 Multi-platinum, 3 Platinum, 3 Gold

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
Iron Maiden played arenas in the early/mid 80s.

Iron Maiden still plays those same arenas.

Judas Priest has been recently playing multi-thousand venues, not multi-ten thousand venues.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
Two problems there.  For one thing, opening for Priest really had nothing to do with most of their popularity.  They were already signed with a major label and quite popular in the Uk.  Their US success was more the result of Run to the Hills and Trooper/Flight of Icarus.  Their world-wide popularity is the culmination of a shitload of touring over the years. 

The other thing is that it wouldn't matter if they did owe their success to Priest.  The topic isn't who was better in 1979.  I'd say that Maiden surpassed them in nearly every way over the last 30 years.  Priest was an awesome band for about 10 years then fizzled out.  Maiden's more popular now than ever.

I agree... but history will be the final judge ;), Maiden is obviously very popular as this poll shows..

but which will history say was the better... I know there is no real answer.. sorta a Beatles vs Stones debate

Offline TL

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Two problems there.  For one thing, opening for Priest really had nothing to do with most of their popularity.  They were already signed with a major label and quite popular in the Uk.  Their US success was more the result of Run to the Hills and Trooper/Flight of Icarus.  Their world-wide popularity is the culmination of a shitload of touring over the years.  

The other thing is that it wouldn't matter if they did owe their success to Priest.  The topic isn't who was better in 1979.  I'd say that Maiden surpassed them in nearly every way over the last 30 years.  Priest was an awesome band for about 10 years then fizzled out.  Maiden's more popular now than ever.
I agree... but history will be the final judge ;), Maiden is obviously very popular as this poll shows..

but which will history say was the better... I know there is no real answer.. sorta a Beatles vs Stones debate

Except that the Beatles are obviously way better than the Stones, whereas Maiden and Priest are both awesome.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:25:38 PM by TL »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »

Listening to the 11/4/79 Palladium show right now! :metal
:metal  I didnt even know that show can be had..wow
was Maiden the opener on that show? I think it might be the actual show!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »
Two bands that shouldn't be compared.  Priest musically are the better band, albums like Painkiller would make Maiden cry in their boots, and a lot of Glenn's leads run circles around Dave and Adrian.  Priest are also the band who have taken risks, tried many different styles, sounds and concepts.  Maiden have always played it safe.

That being said, Maiden are my all time favourite band.  Their simple yet clever approach to melodic metal left its mark on me.  Amazing songs, great harmonies and great bass lines and of course Bruce Dickinson.

wut

He's a very good guitarist, but... Adrian Smith.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably rank Adrian higher than Glenn, but technically, Glenn is a better guitarist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
The only thing Priest has over Maiden is hit radio singles in constant rotation. I used to own JP's entire discography but could really only listen to a select few albums because most of them just weren't that interesting. IM on the other hand has their entire 80's output that I enjoy and only stunk in the 90s. I don't care for their last 3 albums because only then did they start to REALLY sound samey, but their older material kicks the shit out of every thing JP has done. So JP may be bigger in the mainstream sense, but IM owns them in the Metal world.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
To me Maiden >>> JP

Just seems like JP has always had really old thin sound. Maiden sure has it too on the earlier albums but it got a lot better really fast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »
Regardless of history or influence, there is no doubt that right now, Maiden are the bigger band by far. Both are household names, everybody has heard of them, so the only difference is the size of the fanbase, and Maiden's is simply bigger and more dedicated these days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
out of these bands Halford remains the true star of both bands, he is unrivaled as the METAL GOD!

anyone who saw the bands in the 80s would have no doubts. to me Maidens star is Harris, and to me again the songs are written around his bass style. I also am not a big fan of History lessens and Warlocks in my Metal..

what song would the Maiden fan consider to rival  Steeler ?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
Powerslave.

I don't even know Steeler.  But that's my answer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
out of these bands Halford remains the true star of both bands, he is unrivaled as the METAL GOD!

anyone who saw the bands in the 80s would have no doubts. to me Maidens star is Harris, and to me again the songs are written around his bass style. I also am not a big fan of History lessens and Warlocks in my Metal..

Rapid Fire would have been a better example.  Steeler's a good song, but it's not what I'd consider indicative of what Priest did so well.  Rapid Fire's an onslaught. 

However, the point is meaningless since they're really not similar bands.  Trying to compare them at the song level isn't going to get anywhere.  I could ask for a Priest song that compares to Powerslave and you wouldn't find one. 
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

Rapid Fire would have been a better example.  Steeler's a good song, but it's not what I'd consider indicative of what Priest did so well.  Rapid Fire's an onslaught. 

However, the point is meaningless since they're really not similar bands.  Trying to compare them at the song level isn't going to get anywhere.  I could ask for a Priest song that compares to Powerslave and you wouldn't find one. 

FUN FACT: I threw up during the song Powerslave on the Powerslave tour... Steve Harris's bass line vibrated it out of me

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
That's a good point, Barto.  Priest has a lot more "hard rock" in them than Metal.  More lyrics about partying, more 8th-note chords chugging away, that sort of stuff, while Maiden seems to have a heavier sound and, of course, the gallop while singing about history or ripping off popular fiction.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »
EB,
good points you make!! they are not similar... Rapid Fire is off the chart. my point is that Maiden just doesnt ever really rip it up and smash it down like some Priests tune. IM songs are more story time , long, meandering...

Preist is like recess at school, a 500hp muscle car.your first game of spin the bottle LOL, beautiful

Maiden is more like a history class, long ..interesting, fun at times, some monsters, Halloween..and thinking " whats this scary movie all about"? Bruce just doesnt do it for me.. I appreciate him.. but..its like the ole " we are smarter then you attitude" Ive met him and he is a nice guy.. but thats the persona I get off his music and antics..I know he can fly a plane..he is mr wonderful..LOL