Iron Maiden
116 (77.3%)
Judas Priest
12 (8%)
Both / Undecided / HOW DO I CHOOSE?
13 (8.7%)
neither. not much of a fan of either
8 (5.3%)
(enter random former DT band member here)
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )  (Read 12517 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »
Because of the huge debate going on in the thread about DT + Priest headling High Voltage 2011. I'm sure that a poll has been made sometime but it needs to be brought back up.

Just like High School Algebra. Don't just stat your answer... show your work.   :)

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! :metal :corn :metal

EDIT: people are arguing over whether this is supposed to be who is bigger or just who you like... dammit go for both
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:37:46 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest (I had to do it... )
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
And honestly I prefer Maiden by a slight hair. Steve Harris's basslines are so fucking epic
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:15:23 AM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:42 AM »
I can't decide, I love them both.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »
Both. The 2 greatest metal bands of all time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:14:04 AM »
I can't split 'em. They both have many of my favourite moments in Metal and many of my top albums. Both were awesome live. Both tried new singers which didn't work and both had re-unions that whilst inevitable, weren't a patch on there old stuff for me (but I accept many people disagree).

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:23:49 AM »
And honestly I prefer Maiden by a slight hair. Steve Harris's basslines are so fucking epic

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:50 AM »
Guys, this isn't ''which band is your favorite'' poll - it's ''which band is bigger'' poll. That's what we were discussing.

And it's obviously Maiden, duh.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:33:51 AM »
This isn't even a contest.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:37:28 AM »
Iron Maiden.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:40:05 AM »
Judas Priest
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
Judas Priest

You ruined it! They didn't have any votes 'till you came along.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 04:44:41 AM »
Two bands that shouldn't be compared.  Priest musically are the better band, albums like Painkiller would make Maiden cry in their boots, and a lot of Glenn's leads run circles around Dave and Adrian.  Priest are also the band who have taken risks, tried many different styles, sounds and concepts.  Maiden have always played it safe.

That being said, Maiden are my all time favourite band.  Their simple yet clever approach to melodic metal left its mark on me.  Amazing songs, great harmonies and great bass lines and of course Bruce Dickinson.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »
I did a topic like this last year, and included a member-by-member comparison as well as lyrics, etc. I've always liked Maiden a little better, but JP's best ranks right up there.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
Neither, both are incredibly dull.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 07:34:21 AM »
Iron Maiden has been my #1 (or at leat 1A) band growing up.
To me, the big difference is that Iron Maiden really captured my imagination. I like Priest, but but they sit in my band listings near Saxon, and a little ahead of classic Scorpions.
Priest has had some great moments, but they never really touched me. Way too inconsistent if you ask me. Maiden surely hasn't been perfect either, but they are far stronger overall.

Two bands that shouldn't be compared.  Priest musically are the better band, albums like Painkiller would make Maiden cry in their boots, and a lot of Glenn's leads run circles around Dave and Adrian.  Priest are also the band who have taken risks, tried many different styles, sounds and concepts.  Maiden have always played it safe.

That being said, Maiden are my all time favourite band.  Their simple yet clever approach to melodic metal left its mark on me.  Amazing songs, great harmonies and great bass lines and of course Bruce Dickinson.

I agree with most of this. Maiden are what they are. I wouldn't call it playing it safe. And Painkiller also dwarfs anything Priest has done too, and what most metal bands have done.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:45:32 AM »
I think the debate on the DT-side was whether Priest was BIGGER than Maiden or not.  i.e. more fans, more public recognition from more than just metalheads, and just more popular in general.  As I said in the DT thread, in my personal experience, I've met or read about more people who know Eddie, "Run to the Hills," "Number of the Beast," and "The Trooper" than people who have even heard of "Breaking the Law."  So, from what I can tell, even though Priest came first, Maiden is bigger/more popular. 

That's what the debate was about, so that should be, hypothetically, the basis on which people should be voting on in this poll.

IMHO, Priest has some kickass songs, but the really early stuff seems less heavy than it should be, and Halford's voice isn't that appealing (Screaming for Vengeance is great, though).  Maiden has a bunch of great songs, even though 99% of them are in the same key, a better singer, and "Powerslave," so they win out for me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »
this thread is a big FAIL. the intent was to see who everyone thinks is the BIGGER band, not which ones you prefer. but it's not obviously stated in the OP, but a few replies down...  :facepalm:  not to mention the unnecessary extra options.

anyway, i say Iron Maiden is bigger, now. Back in the 70s (obviously) it was Priest, and in the 80s, I'd say Priest were bigger (though not by much), since they had bigger radio hits than Maiden, and had been around longer. The 90s were bad for both bands, but i think Maiden has topped Priest in the last 10 years, having much more critically acclaimed albums in recent times, better sales, and generally better shows. Priest is still cool, since theyve gotten heavier with the times, but as someone said before me, theyre more of a nostalgia act these days. At least Maiden perform a lot of their newer stuff.

Iron Maiden for me

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »

wut

He's a very good guitarist, but... Adrian Smith.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
I think the debate on the DT-side was whether Priest was BIGGER than Maiden or not.  i.e. more fans, more public recognition from more than just metalheads, and just more popular in general.  As I said in the DT thread, in my personal experience, I've met or read about more people who know Eddie, "Run to the Hills," "Number of the Beast," and "The Trooper" than people who have even heard of "Breaking the Law."  So, from what I can tell, even though Priest came first, Maiden is bigger/more popular. 

That's what the debate was about, so that should be, hypothetically, the basis on which people should be voting on in this poll.

IMHO, Priest has some kickass songs, but the really early stuff seems less heavy than it should be, and Halford's voice isn't that appealing (Screaming for Vengeance is great, though).  Maiden has a bunch of great songs, even though 99% of them are in the same key, a better singer, and "Powerslave," so they win out for me.

damn, you beat me by a few minutes, haha. Though i did bring up some other points.

anyway i agree.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
Yeah, you did.  I wasn't around in the 80s, so I had no idea that Priest were bigger than Maiden, though I can understand why they were.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »
Yeah, you did.  I wasn't around in the 80s, so I had no idea that Priest were bigger than Maiden, though I can understand why they were.

i mean, im only 23, but i know from research that Priest's 80s hits charted better than Maiden's, and you'll hear their music on classic rock radio a lot (at least in the NY tri-state area). Maiden songs are only on if they have a 'metal hour' or something on.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
Huh, classic rock radio rarely plays metal at all down here  :lol.  There's a general "rock" station in Raleigh that will play Maiden, don't recall hearing any Priest on it.

But I just use my iPod in the car anyways.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
Huh, classic rock radio rarely plays metal at all down here  :lol.  There's a general "rock" station in Raleigh that will play Maiden, don't recall hearing any Priest on it.

But I just use my iPod in the car anyways.

only songs like "Living After Midnight", "Breaking the Law", and "You Got Another Thing Coming". Those songs are 'rock' enough to be on classic rock radio, theyre not the most metal songs. Theyre also the bands' biggest hits.

during metal shows on the same station (Q1043, by the way, for you NY/NJ members, which i rarely listen to anymore) ive heard Painkiller, Victim of Changes, and other more metal songs of theirs. Maiden is generally only played during these shows

i only listen to my 160gb iPod these days too. 63 days worth of music should not be wasted listening to the radio  :yarr

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »
PRIEST!

without Priest there is nothing.. Maiden was the warm up act.. always will be. Plus Halfords voice has beauty, Bruces voice never had that, never will..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
  • If I were to put together a greatest hits of both bands, I think the Priest one would be much better than the Maiden one, but overall I think Maiden has a much superior volume of music.
  • Maiden's more talented across the board.  Les Binks was the best drummer of either band, but they fired him to hire Dave Holland.  Both Nicko and Clive Burr are/were great drummers.  Rob was the better singer 20 years ago, but Bruce sounds better than ever and Rob's struggling to continue.  Steve Harris.
  • Priest always tried to change to whatever style was popular at the time, with frequently disastrous results.  While you could argue that Maiden was too safe and inflexible in their style, when they did venture away from it (AMoLaD), it was usually bad ass.
  • Maiden is one of the greatest live bands you'll see.  Priest was never all that exciting outside of hearing Rob's spectacular screams.
  • Maiden writes cool lyrics.  Priest writes about partying.
  • While you can say that Priest pioneered the NWoBHM, I think Maiden perfected it.  More often than not, they utilized the twin guitars better.

As much as I love Priest, I think Maiden wins out in most capacities.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
I'm a Priest fan first and foremost

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:21 AM »
Neither, both are incredibly dull.
LOLSIGZ

Iron Maiden by miles!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »
To me, to continue on EB's well said post... Maiden has the volume of music, but to me. much of it is soooo similar that I just yawn.

Priest was first, Preist has Halfords voice.. and Glen to me is the best player as far as style.

I guess seeing Maiden since Paul D was in the band on the Killers tour opeing for Priest, to me it will always be Priest. and I do not like Bruces voice nealry as much...I cant see Bruce really doing the beautiful vocals of Rob.. like last rose of summer etc..Preist is a more diverse sounding band..and Preist has the crushing sound ( think British Steel) that Maiden never really was able or wanting to do
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 09:43:51 AM »
I cant see Bruce really doing the beautiful vocals of Rob.. like last rose of summer etc.

Amen to that.  I think everyone, even though of us who greatly prefer Priest and/or Halford, would agree that Dickinson's voice has aged better than Halford's, but in his heyday, Halford was far superior, IMO.  And like you said, Dickinson couldn't touch Halford when it came to doing mellower, beautiful vocals.  I have never heard anything by Dickinson that can touch the sheer combined power and beauty of Halford's vocals in "Before the Dawn."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
definately Maiden

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Yeah, you did.  I wasn't around in the 80s, so I had no idea that Priest were bigger than Maiden, though I can understand why they were.
If you count 1980-1982, then Priest was bigger, but Maiden owned the 80's versus Priest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
I cant see Bruce really doing the beautiful vocals of Rob.. like last rose of summer etc.

Amen to that.  I think everyone, even though of us who greatly prefer Priest and/or Halford, would agree that Dickinson's voice has aged better than Halford's, but in his heyday, Halford was far superior, IMO.  And like you said, Dickinson couldn't touch Halford when it came to doing mellower, beautiful vocals.  I have never heard anything by Dickinson that can touch the sheer combined power and beauty of Halford's vocals in "Before the Dawn."

Navigate the Seas of the Sun?  Jerusalem?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
If you count 1980-1982, then Priest was bigger, but Maiden owned the 80's versus Priest.

Not according to record sales here in the states .....they were both pretty much equal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography (1980-1990) 7 albums 4 plat (one 2 plat)  3 gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography  (1980-1990) 8 albums 4 plat 4 gold
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »

You need to hear Blood brothers, Journeyman and Out of the shadows. Also, the intros to The Legacy and The Talisman, as well as a good chunk of Lord of light, are fine examples of the power and beauty of his lower register. Some people that are more familiar with his solo work can direct you to some other amazing tracks. But the thing is, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are just very different bands, and you can't expect to hear a melancholic love ballad like ''Before the Dawn'' when you put on a Maiden record. That's the reason why Bruce isn't experimenting with emotional vocals as much as Rob. But that doesn't mean he's not able to deliver such a performance - in fact, if you search around youtube, you'll find some amazing covers with Bruce justifying the diversity of his voice.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
I can't decide, I love them both.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol