Author Topic: Abraham's Bosom  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Abraham's Bosom
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
Revelation talks about a new heaven and new earth, so I wouldn't be surprised if both were accessible in the afterlife.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Wait, but just so I get this straight: You have consoled yourself to the fact that you're not going to heaven, since you're not following Jesus' demands? Or do you just assert Paulian superiority over Jesus' teaching?

rumborak

I agree that your reading of jesus' hard claims is more accurate than modern Christendom.  While Jesus was often using hyperbolic language (eg. cut off hand, cut out eyes, etc), he used it for us to be devestated with how serious his call to discipleship is.  the minute we begin to water it down (which Paul did not, btw), we miss the point.  I am not going to heaven because I kept Jesus' commands perfectly (in fact, to the contrary I keep them miserably), but because Jesus kept them perfectly.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
And because you believe he is God or because you acknowedge he is God according to the texts?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »
Well, I think Jesus had a few words to say on that approach to belief.

rumborak

Agreed.  One of the challenges a disciple faces is to constantly question whether or not he is being a true disciple, or merely hypocritically viewing the Bible through an improper lense that causes him to merely explain away that he isn't living up to Jesus' standards.  Christians should examine themselves daily to be sure they are properly living their faith.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
Everyone dies forever. So smile.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
I'm sure we'll all be o.k.