Author Topic: Can an album be too long?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Can an album be too long?
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
The first thing I would think is "no." Off the top of my head, the more music, the better, right? But, man, I'm listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the songs range from pretty cool to really awesome. Only one clunker. One would think that that is really good but the album is 74 minutes long and has 17 tracks, and I have to say, it is exhausting listening to it. I am not sure I like doing this. I always enjoyed albums with less tracks. My favorite albums usually don't have more than 9 or 10 tracks and are relatively short.

So, I ask you...

Can an album be too long or have too many songs?

Oh, and inb4AnalCunt

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Can an album be too long?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
Yes, in two ways.

1) the album is too samey, at which point even a short album drags.
2) It's just...long, even if the songs are great and all.

Example of 2 would be Orphaned Land's latest effort or 01011001. Amazing albums, but if I want to actively listen then it feel exhausting, so I won't listen to it twice in a row (unless i'm really obsessed at the time).

edit: I remember Steve Wilson talking about how fans whined when FoaBP was 'only' 50 minutes long.

Of course, Nil Recurring the EP was then nearly long enough to be an album so...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:46 PM »
Perhaps, but because everyone's feelings on an album are so different, you'll get varying opinions for either answer.

I don't think an album can be too long, but then again, I am a fan of longer albums, usually 2 disc albums (like nearly half of the albums by The Flower Kings). I think a longer album can mean a band/artist has more time to fully express what they want to say through their music, but fans may see some of it as "filler", which can be a problem with double albums, particularly concept albums.

I think for concept albums/rock operas/thematic albums/narratives, longer can be better. I think Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is the perfect length, and works really over the four sides, and over the course of it's 23 tracks, the band performs a well thought-out story through music and lyrics. I wouldn't say any of it is "filler" per se, but some tracks may be weaker than others (as with ANY album), but IMO, a band/artist wouldn't write a song if it didn't have some meaning to the overall story/concept/theme.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »
What you said brings up an interesting point. The Wall is 7 minutes longer than Blood Sugar Sex Magik but it does not feel that long at all. I think it is because it is telling a story so nothing really feels like "filler."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
Yes.

If the songs are too samey, but also if the album have 4-5 good songs and the rest is filler. I would prefer a solid EP than an album that drags a bit too much...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
The first thing I would think is "no." Off the top of my head, the more music, the better, right? But, man, I'm listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the songs range from pretty cool to really awesome. Only one clunker. One would think that that is really good but the album is 74 minutes long and has 17 tracks, and I have to say, it is exhausting listening to it. I am not sure I like doing this. I always enjoyed albums with less tracks. My favorite albums usually don't have more than 9 or 10 tracks and are relatively short.

So, I ask you...

Can an album be too long or have too many songs?

I see what you're saying about Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but I don't think the album being exhausting and challenging makes it "too long".  I too prefer to listen to albums in their entirety when I can, but there are some albums that are just too much.  In those cases, I don't consider the album too long; I'm still glad to have all of it, if it's all great.  I just think of it as an album I have to take in smaller doses.

As others have mentioned, an album can also be too long if it's crappy or has too much filler, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
Yes.  Tool is a prime offender of this, IMO.  If you do have a 70 min.+ album, it better move by like its an hour, otherwise you start to feel the drag.  Scenes and Act II by the Dear Hunter are great examples of good long albums, but ideal length for me is 45 minutes to an hour.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
Rap albums are usually a little long.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
Definitely. In fact it's gotten to the point where even an album over or near 70 minutes looks daunting before I first listen to it. I just haven't seen enough artists utilize that time well enough for me to trust album lengths that long.

I think it is because it is telling a story so nothing really feels like "filler."

Only if the story is interesting. The Wall's story is, sadly, not very interesting at all.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
I'm a fan of having longer albums, around 60 mins is about ideal for me.  I think that if the album is good then make it as long as possible.  When I see albums that are 30-45 mins it gets me kind of disappointed because that may be a bands only album for a long time.  If there's more I feel like I've been given enough to satisfy my musical needs till the next album but that depends on the band and how frequently they make albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
yes, but if it flows really well, the actual length in terms of minutes/hours, or number of songs/tracks has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
Yes.  Tool is a prime offender of this, IMO.  If you do have a 70 min.+ album, it better move by like its an hour, otherwise you start to feel the drag.  Scenes and Act II by the Dear Hunter are great examples of good long albums, but ideal length for me is 45 minutes to an hour.

Yep. Tool albums do feel really long.
I've found the last 3 Iron Maiden albums are a bit too long to fully enjoy. The Final Frontier was a great album, but man, I found myself just totally zoned out by the time the album came to a close.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
I actually don't mind AMOLAD's length, just because all the songs are great.  The other three reunion albums, yeah, little too long.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
It depends on the music really. It's more whether the album feels too long or not. Thrice's Alchemy Index doesn't feel that long even though it's like 80 minutes or so (I might be wrong on the length), but the last Maiden album just feels wayyy too long.

Nick Drake's Pink Moon, on the other hand, is a pretty short album (about 25 mins, maybe), that is absolutely perfect in terms of length. One more song would have ruined it just as much as one less.

Also, I am drunk and I apologize if this makes little to no sense.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
Yes, every album I don't like is too long.

But seriously, if an album doesn't have any weak spots (which for me is EXTREMELY rare, if not nonexistent), I generally won't think it's "too long" even if it's a double album, because I enjoy all of it.  If I consider an album too long, it's probably more a function of the music dragging or dipping in quality or something.

Although, it's not that often that I have the chance to sit down and listen to music for even the length of a normal album, so I guess practically, albums could be "too long" in that sense.

-J

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
It depends on the quality of the songs also...like listening to a long "album" like The Alchemy Index all the way through is not hard to me at all.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »
It depends on the quality of the songs also...like listening to a long "album" like The Alchemy Index all the way through is not hard to me at all.

I think with The Alchemy Index, Thrice treats it as 4 different EPs. Each one is stylistically different, so the variation livens things up a little bit, making it seem more as though you are listening to 4 30-min albums as opposed to 1 2-hour one.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:42:38 PM »
Music, much like film, requires editing to tighten it up. Whether that be removing entire songs or simply sections, it is definitely something that greatly improves the impact of a record from start to finish.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:38:19 AM »
To me, it all depends on the music.
A good example of a long album i love, would be The River Empires - Epilogue which clocks in at around 1 ½ hour, but i never feel like it's dragging.
All the way through it's amazing and enjoyable, and i enjoy listening to it.
Then i could add The Incident by Porcupine Tree, which is like 75 minutes (around there), but i very rarely listen to it, because it feels really long, which feels strange to say considering how much i love PT.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 06:30:36 AM »
Yes.  Tool is a prime offender of this, IMO.  If you do have a 70 min.+ album, it better move by like its an hour, otherwise you start to feel the drag.  Scenes and Act II by the Dear Hunter are great examples of good long albums, but ideal length for me is 45 minutes to an hour.

Yep. Tool albums do feel really long.
I've found the last 3 Iron Maiden albums are a bit too long to fully enjoy. The Final Frontier was a great album, but man, I found myself just totally zoned out by the time the album came to a close.

I actually kind of like how long Tool albums feel, they feel long without being long in a dragging kind of way to me.

Offline faemir

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 06:54:01 AM »
I actually kind of like how long Tool albums feel, they feel long without being long in a dragging kind of way to me.

do we have the same album? 10k days draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 07:04:28 AM »
True, 10K Days does, but I think Aenima and Lateralus go by in a nice way. The only albums that really drag to me are some DT ones, and, *blasphemy* The Whirlwind does towards the end.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 07:28:54 AM »
Easily. I tend to enjoy shorter albums and EPs the most, they feel more concise and focused. I'm not sure there are any double albums that I find myself wanting to listen to all the way through, it just becomes a chore.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »
I thought of an idea in the future of releasing a triple album with each disc full (about 75 minutes each) with brand new music...it would be like over 3 1/2 hours long.....followed by a giant world tour!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
I just thought of a downside to having longer albums - unless it's a concept album that warrants playing the whole thing live (a la The Wall or The Lamb), chances of playing every song from the album live diminishes. With shorter albums, a band is more likely to play nearly every song live and still work in older songs in their set.

For example - Rush. Back in the 80s, they played nearly every, if not all, the songs from their new albums live. From Permanent Waves to Power Windows, only 4 songs went unplayed live (and since then, one of those has been played live, "Entre Nous"), but when they went from 40 minute albums to 50+ with the use of CDs, they started playing less and less. From Hold Your Fire onward, they've played half-or-less of the album live with the recent exception of Snakes & Arrows. The major downside is not being able to hear some of these songs live and even after 2 decades, over 40% of their studio catalog from HYF-S&A has gone unplayed live and chances are, most of that 40% will never get played live.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
The most recent album I can recall with this 'problem' is Alter Bridge's new record.

I love the album, but there could be a bit less songs on there. The fact that the band put on fourteen tracks because they couldn't disagree on eleven.. I don't know. On one side I can appreciate the democracy in the band, on the other side, some songs just make the album drag a bit.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
I thought that The River Empires' album was far too long tbh.

Also, The water part of Thrice's Alchemy Index is  :heart :heart :heart, thank you to whoever turned me on to them (think it was sigz.)
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
What you said brings up an interesting point. The Wall is 7 minutes longer than Blood Sugar Sex Magik but it does not feel that long at all. I think it is because it is telling a story so nothing really feels like "filler."
For me The Wall feels like an eternity. I understand why people would like it, but for me it's absolute crap.

inb4wat

Kosmo

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
Final Frountier drags on forever..

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
For me The Wall feels like an eternity. I understand why people would like it, but for me it's absolute crap.
This

is an abomination.  WTF
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline faemir

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
I just thought of a downside to having longer albums - unless it's a concept album that warrants playing the whole thing live (a la The Wall or The Lamb), chances of playing every song from the album live diminishes. With shorter albums, a band is more likely to play nearly every song live and still work in older songs in their set.

For example - Rush. Back in the 80s, they played nearly every, if not all, the songs from their new albums live. From Permanent Waves to Power Windows, only 4 songs went unplayed live (and since then, one of those has been played live, "Entre Nous"), but when they went from 40 minute albums to 50+ with the use of CDs, they started playing less and less. From Hold Your Fire onward, they've played half-or-less of the album live with the recent exception of Snakes & Arrows. The major downside is not being able to hear some of these songs live and even after 2 decades, over 40% of their studio catalog from HYF-S&A has gone unplayed live and chances are, most of that 40% will never get played live.

-Marc.

Very good point, never thought of that. We're lucky with DT playing nearly all their material..

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »

inb4wat

Agreed 110%.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

-Marc.

Add the The Camera Eye to being played.  I would love to hear Losing It and Afterimage.

To the OP.  Beatles the White Album is a great example.  Cut that to one album and wow.  That would kill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »
With an album or a film, if you're going to have a long runtime, you'd better have the content to back it up.

When you get a really good long album, it can provide an incredible listening experience. If you reach that runtime with filler/padding, it's going to hurt the overall work.

As was just pointed out, The White Album, edited down to one vinyl could be absolutely amazing. Another one; I've always felt that, if you made one disc out of G'n'R's Use Your Illusion albums, you could have something pretty solid, whereas the two albums as they exist now are packed with filler.