Author Topic: Harvard scientists reverse aging process in mice.  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Harvard scientists reverse aging process in mice.
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
I am posting this here because I would like a legitimate discussion on it.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov/28/scientists-reverse-ageing-mice-humans

I am all for science exploring every aspect of life, but this article for the first time made me question if it is the right thing to do. Say in theory that this does show promise with humans and becomes a normal practice. How old will people live? What age would retirement be changed to? What do we do about over population? ETC...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Harvard scientists reverse aging process in mice.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
Any chance you can post a legitimate source? If this is true, it will be very interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
Even if they could stop people from aging, I don't think it would effect longevity past a certain point.  The body will still wear out.  The heart, kidneys other fairly important organs all have a finite lifespan.  What this would do is make living to be 108 a whole lot more enjoyable. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
I have often wondered whether there will be a point at which humans will have to start "choosing" to die in order to make space for new people, as opposed to being forced by nature to die. (Logan's Run, anyone?)

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
Even if they could stop people from aging, I don't think it would effect longevity past a certain point.  The body will still wear out.  The heart, kidneys other fairly important organs all have a finite lifespan.  What this would do is make living to be 108 a whole lot more enjoyable. 

But the body wearing out is aging, not just the appearance on the outside. The kidneys and other organs aging will be able to be reversed. The general rules of aging apply to everything in the body. If you can stop one thing from aging, you can in theory stop the aging of anything else. (I think)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
i read on the article when it came out, and the way they do it is to suppress the enzyme then reintroduce in high levels. apparently that is a major cause for cancer in humans, so even though it's interesting to study, it's definitely not the way to go.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »

But the body wearing out is aging, not just the appearance on the outside. The kidneys and other organs aging will be able to be reversed. The general rules of aging apply to everything in the body. If you can stop one thing from aging, you can in theory stop the aging of anything else. (I think)
In some cases, yes.  However, the kidneys, for example, take damage from the very act that they perform.  In some of these organs, it's not a matter of wearing out, it's a function of being used up.  You might be able to stop decay, but depletion is a different story. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
i read on the article when it came out, and the way they do it is to suppress the enzyme then reintroduce in high levels. apparently that is a major cause for cancer in humans, so even though it's interesting to study, it's definitely not the way to go.

This + Naked mole rat genes = immortality.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline j

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »

In some cases, yes.  However, the kidneys, for example, take damage from the very act that they perform.  In some of these organs, it's not a matter of wearing out, it's a function of being used up.  You might be able to stop decay, but depletion is a different story. 

The aging process on a cellular level has a huge number of effects, many of which are poorly understood, if at all.  But if senescence were stopped, most diploid cell types (including specialized cells that make up specific tissues and organs) would continue to undergo mitosis and proliferate indefinitely, and thus not "deplete", etc.

Research regarding stem cell use could be used in tandem to address other problems, as they can be differentiated in practically any way as necessary.

Disease, particularly cancer, would persist, and probably increase (in the case of cancer).  At this point, the longer you're around, the more likely you are to experience one or more of the many mutations/exposures that lead to cancer.  Cellular aging is one of the body's ways of protecting against cancer.

-J

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
Looks like I need to abandon my live fast die young philosophy.

wtf is the internet?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
apparently a friend of mine worked on this in harvard. i am a little star struck now.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »
I had a teacher that went to a conference and the speaker told them "If the advances in medicine continue at their current pace, nobody in this room will need to die."

Still seems a little far fetched considering it was probably a room full of 60 year olds, but for kids now... a hell of a lot can happen in 80 years. I could see some kind of fake organs going into people, but at what point do you become Darth Vader?

Offline ehra

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
When you get to ravage Natalie Portman and can force choke people.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
When you get to ravage Natalie Portman and can force choke people.

I want to be Darth Vader.
fanticide.bandcamp.com