Author Topic: [Video Game] UFC 2009: Undisputed  (Read 4834 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
[Video Game] UFC 2009: Undisputed
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »
Name: UFC 2009: Undisputed
Publisher: THQ
Developer: Yuke's Media Creations
Genre: Fighting/Sport

I have to be honest here. I love sports games. I love hockey, football, golf, racing, whatever. I love the roster updates, playing through seasons as my favourite team, and the gameplay intricacies from year to year. I, however, am not the biggest fighting game fan. I enjoy Soul Calibur and Super Smash Bros, but I find fighting games, in general, don't appeal to me. Well, UFC 2009: Undisputed mixes a beloved genre and a so-so genre for me. So does the game overcome my distaste for fighting games, and prove itself to be a worthy game to be played over and over again? Read on...

Graphics
This is a pretty game! Oh man. Rarely have I seen such lifelike character models. The sweat, the cuts, the bruises; they're all here, and they look terrific. The game simply is one of the greatest looking games on the 360. From a game that only starting building up hype in the past few months, it's surprising how terrific it looks. Forrest Griffin looks like how he should, Chuck Lidell looks just as ferocious as in real life, and Rampage Jackson...well, he needs no introduction. The visuals in the game are just terrific.
1/1

Audio
There is something about UFC 2009 that I find just tremendously appealing. The audio is certainly one of these areas. It is clear from the get-go that Yuke's put in a great deal of work into how the game sounds. Hard-hitting rock opens up the main menu, while it fades out every now and again to play sound clips of fights or interviews of actual UFC matches. This really adds to the immersion of the game, and thats only in the menus. In-game, the grunts, the hits, and the deep breathing of sweaty, winded guys really blasts from the speakers. The commentary is varied and delivered well. Overall, well done.
1/1

AI
You are able to choose which weight class you want your character to be in at the beginning of your career, so that determines which opponents you will face throughout the tournament. However, don't expect every opponent to be the same fighter. Each AI opponent has different variations to their fighting style that will mean you need to plan out how you will attack and defend in the match. Also, don't expect an easy time with this game. Even on the game's easiest setting, it will challenge you. So, even if you have a 3-win streak, you can still get owned in the next match, if you aren't prepared. The variety and challenge on the AI make it a constantly interesting game to play.
1/1

Variety
The game modes are all fairly standard. You have your career mode, your exhibition, single match, and classic fights, along with multiplayer modes. The classic fights are the most interesting of these modes, as you need to try to relive the classic fights and win them exactly as the fighters themselves had won. The career mode is deep and lengthy. The fights themselves can be played out in many different ways. Of course, because of the nature of mixed martial arts, you can fight from a distance, or up close. Standing or grappling on the ground. Fights never play out the same, and within the various fighting styles everyone will find some kind of style they enjoy.
1/1

Innovation
UFC has been seen on game systems before: the last being UFC Sudden Impact for the PS2, released in 2004. After five years, UFC 2009 is the first MMA game to appear on next-gen consoles. Yuke's Media Creations has gained fame for developing the WWE games. UFC 2009 bears many similarities to these games. While more realistic, the grappling mechanics and wrestling mechanics have been pulled straight from the Smackdown series. While they function quite well, the gameplay doesn't feel as fresh for those who are familiar with the WWE series. Even so, Undisputed brings MMA to the next-gen and that's good enough for me.
0.5/1

Value
Buy it. Don't rent. Buy. It's simple enough to say. There is just too much here to do. All the game modes, the long career mode, the customization, the achievements. And that's not even including the multiplayer, which is a whole other game in itself. No more words. Just buy it.
1/1

Presentation
The game stumbles a lot in the menus. There are oddly long load times between menu screens, so navigating anywhere or customizing your character is very time consuming. The menus are also pretty bland to look at. They worked well at getting the UFC vibe in the game though. The visuals and sound display that, but also in the backgrounds, in game. The octogan looks like it should, the crowd is lively, and Bruce Buffer is there, so automatic win. But seriously, the game needs work on cutting down the load times and the 8 saves it has to do at the end of every fight.
0.5/1

Difficulty
Challenging but fun. Simply put, UFC 2009 falls into that great zone of challenge without frustration. Because of the varied opponents, and the constantly changing of position on the tier system, you will always be thinking of how you should fight next match. The tutorial is a bit on the long side, though, reaching around 45 minutes to get you into all the basics of fighting. However, this is necessary for the game to really come alive. If can handle the long introduction, the game will keep you interested.
1/1

Gameplay
The gameplay of UFC Undisputed feels super tight. It's main problem is separating itself from its competitors, which at the moment is the WWE franchise, and EA's new MMA series. Undisputed is different enough from WWE, and it still has the headstart on EA's new franchise, but it needs to come up with its own style. Yuke's did a fine job on this game, but if they are doing both WWE and UFC games every year, they need to separate the gameplay between the two. The game is also a bit too complicated for most to get into it. If the long tutorial doesn't scare off casual gamers, the insane fighting certainly will. Every button does something, and does something different when another button is held. Memorizing all this is very tricky, so you'll likely find yourself button mashing for the first few matches, until you learn every last thing. This being said, when the gameplay train gets moving, its deep and enjoyable ride with lots of variety and flashy moves. There are improvements to be made, but its a fine first attempt.
0.5/1

Fun
Yes, I had fun. Here's why:
+ deep and varied combat system
+ lots of modes
+ great value

Here's what pissed me off:
- long load times
- overly complicated combat
- felt too much like WWE
1/1

To close, I see great things for UFC in video games. I believe that this will make a great series, and it will be a much better game next year. For UFC's first gig on a next-gen console this was great attempt. It has potential, and I'll be watching it closely over the next year. Still, this installment impressed me, so I can safely say I liked this game.

8.5/10
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
Re: [Video Game] UFC 2009: Undisputed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
Awesome review man!
Cool breakdown of the game elements.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »
Awesome review man!
Cool breakdown of the game elements.

Yeah, I think the video reviews should work that way too. It worked on our rehearsal type thing the other day.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »
I might just do this breakdown for my next review.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
Good review!  I'm a huge fan of this game, and MMA in general.  It'll be interesting to see how EA Sports does w/ their MMA game.
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
i own u at this game

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »
I like your reviews, but you never review any games that I like :p.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »

Well, I have some more reviews to write, but you will probably find a game in there that sparks your interest...
Or you're a Wii owner :P

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »

Well, I have some more reviews to write, but you will probably find a game in there that sparks your interest...
It's the second one ;).

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »

It's the second one ;).

Can't really help you there. I play all consoles, but Xbox 360 is the only one I own, so that's what I review games for.