Author Topic: Queensryche (original band only) appreciation thread  (Read 15788 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Queensryche (original band only) appreciation thread
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
Ok fans that are out there, lets hear some love for the ORIGINAL Queensryche. DeGarmo, Jackson, Rockenfield, Tate, Wilton. None of the other bullshit, but the original band.

Mindcrime, Rage, Promised Land...

APPRECIATE.

:metal

www.anybodylistening.net (in case anyone needs a refresher...and shameless plug).  :biggrin:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Queensryche (original band only) appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
Operation: Mindcrime and Empire :metal

The other ones haven't clicked for me, although a few songs from Rage For Order is great (The Whisper!).

*Appreciated*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:43:03 AM »
Been a ryche fan for many years, own all their albums (original lineup and later).  They were such a force all the way up to Empire, such amazing, melodic, clever metal.  And Tate simply is one of the greatest voices to walk the earth.  Fav albums;

Warning
Empire
Mindcrime
Rage For Order
Tribe (underrated)
Promised Land
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:47:41 AM »
EP-Promised Land is one of the most stunning runs of music by any artist ever. Long live the classic era of QR :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:01:52 AM »
Operation Mindcime and Empire are great. I can't really get into Promised Land, though.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
Operation: Mindcrime is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's strange, none of their other albums resonate with me the way that it does. Empire and Promised Land are fantastic albums, but they fall short.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
1984.  Opening for Kiss on the Animalize tour.  I only heard Take hold of the Flame on MTV Headbangers Ball.  I liked the song but when they opened up for Kiss it blew me away.  I went out the next day and got The Warning and the EP. Chris Degarmo is Queensryche.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
Tribe (underrated)
I agree. There are quite a few good songs on Tribe and it's easily the best of 'newer' Queensryche.

My favorites:
Mindcrime (one of my top 3 albums of all time)
Rage For Order
Promised Land
Empire

I still can't get into The Warning for some reason.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »
I think mindcrime is a little overrated, still a fan though. I am a huge fan of empire however!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »
Some of you might not know this, but Tribe was originally supposed to have the song "Justified" (on the Sign of the Times The Very Best of Queenryche compilation) and a different version of "Hostage" (the demo of the song -- which that demo is MUCH better and included a ripping Wilton solo instead of the boring one done by Mike Stone with a harmonizer on the officially released version -- found on Mindcrime II).

You add those two songs, cut off "Losing Mysh*t" (which was the only track written by that guy Mike Stone who toured with them, and would NOT have been on the record had DeGarmo stayed with the band), and you easily can see the classic Ryche sound and vibe. It's a natural progression for the band, and sorta bridges the gap between Promised Land/Hear in the Now Frontier, and more chunky riffing.

So I agree with those that say the album is vastly underrated...IF you cut out that terrible Stone track. I listen to the album with that track deleted and enjoy it very much.

Those of you who don't "get" Promised Land -- put it on with headphones, and go into listening to it with this thought in mind...Queensryche formulated its sound as a hybrid between Judas Priest and Iron Maiden with Pink Floyd. If Mindcrime is more toward the Priest/Maiden vibe, then PL is their crack at a Floyd-esqe album...with Empire being the natural fit between the two sides.

That might help you have a better appreciation for what they were trying to do. It's also an album about achieving fame, success and everything people strive for, and finding out it's not all that great, and dealing with the fallout from that and a midlife crisis.

The really sad thing about Queensryche is that Chris DeGarmo really was the brains and creativity behind the band. He came up with most of the music, did most of the arrangements, at least half the lyrics and vocal melodies, etc. Wilton had some bad ass riffs and solos and Tate had about half the lyrics and vocal melodies, so the three-headed monster made the band's sound. But Chris was the glue that kept it all together.

By themselves, the four remaining original members just can't get on the same page or relate to one another, without someone else providing the template for them. It's a shame. But it goes to show you, without DeGarmo, it really is NOT Queensryche. It's Tate's solo outfit.

Anyway, just been on a Queensryche tear lately. Been awhile and wanted to shout out some appreciation. Long live the original (and only) QUEENSRYCHE. Accept nothing else other than the original five guys. Because THAT was the band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 03:51:17 AM »
I actually quite liked Mike Stone, he was a decent guitarist, and when I saw them live on the Mindcrime 2 tour, he was very, very solid.  I haven't seen what the new guy has to offer.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
As wonderful an album as The Warning is, I appreciate the way the Qryche practically made a complete 180 in sound/style with Rage For Order.  I thought it was extremely bold for them to tinker with their sound in such a drastic way, especially on just their 2nd album.  With RFO, they took a major step towards broadening their musical scope, much the same way that Led Zeppelin III did for that band.  Both those albums took fans by surprise (and had some scratching heads thinking WTF), but in the end, they were both turning points toward bigger and better things.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
I actually quite liked Mike Stone, he was a decent guitarist, and when I saw them live on the Mindcrime 2 tour, he was very, very solid.  I haven't seen what the new guy has to offer.

Doesn't really matter for purposes of THIS thread. I just brought him up to explain what the deal was with Tribe as an album.  :)

@LV - agreed. That whole reinvention of their sound was a wise marketing move as well. Bold, but wise. Since each record they did as a band had some major stylistic differences in sound, it opened the band up to a wider fan base had they not done that. It might have been unintentional or a natural evolution (stating back then that each album never really repeated itself), but it served them well from a marketing angle. Not many bands could get away with that coming out of the early 1980s.

It's a testament to their skill as musicians and knack of being able to do the right thing at the right time (up until about HITNF when things arguably went too stripped back even for most of QR's wide-listening fan base).

Kosmo

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
Recommend a noob some Queensryche.  :corn

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
Operation: Mindcrime is a classic. Rage for order is pretty cool as well. I'm not a huge fan of the rest, although I haven't heard any works from the late 90s onwards.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
I first got in them with the EP...picked it up on vinyl and cassette and was blown away by it. Picked up Warning as soon as it was released and all the others up through Empire...at this point in my life I was listening to the entire Thrash scene and Queensryche never really clicked with me, they way they originally did, I wanted my music louder and faster. Eventually picked up Tribe but it just didn't work for me like the older albums. I have Operation Livecrime box with the accompaning VHS tape as well as the Art of Live. I rarely find myself listening to them anymore and when I do its mostly the EP.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »
Operation: Mindcrime is one of favorite albums ever, but I can't really get into anything else besides Emprie...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
I wish I had gotten in to this band back in their heyday. Not sure why I didn't. And I'm from Seattle!  :facepalm:

I remember seeing Silent Lucidity on MTV all the time and liking it. Apparently not enough to buy any of their stuff too. Turns out I didn't bother checking them out in earnest until I started reading about them on the DT forums. So I eventually bought the EP through HitNF. I need to listen to them more though, they usually get played while I'm doing stuff and not totally focused, like when I'm driving. Haven't heard much of anything post-HitNF, again based largely on comments here.

The thing I find when listening to QR is that I know I enjoy the music when I listen to it, but it doesn't really move me, for lack of a better word. I don’t expect much out of music when listening to it, I just want to enjoy it. But with some bands, like DT, the music hits a little deeper, stays with me a little longer. With QR, when the CD stops, I know I enjoyed what I just listened to, but that’s it. Can’t explain it better than that. Regardless, I appreciate EP-PL.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
I was a fan from hearing Queen of the Reich in the eighties. Absolutely loved everything until Promised Land. That was the begining of the end for me and I've found very little of what drew me to them in the first place in any of their stuff since Empire.
I did enjoy a couple of tracks on MCII (and Dio was a star as Dr X) but that's about it.
I liked the technical, futuristic sound they had and when they started to strip it back they lost me. I love GT's voice but if I met him I thin k I would have to punch him...
They were my favourite band but DT came along at just the right time to take over as QR went shit (IMO of course).

Kosmo

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
Okay so i started to check them out, i had heard of them numerous times but never really tried them out.
Operation: Mindcrime blew me away, the other albums still need some listening through although i think Tribe is nearly there.  :tup

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Promised Land is in my top ten albums of all time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

It's very underrated, One More Time is one of their best songs.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
It's very underrated, One More Time is one of their best songs.
I don't even know what my favorite track would be from PL; they're all so good: maybe "Damaged" or "Lady Jane?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
I'm very fond of Bridge, DeGarmo's solo is amazing.  I Am I and Damaged are awesome and I love the bonus track Real World.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
Yeah, I remember hearing "Bridge" on alternative radio as a single before I had even bought the album; great song.  I don't know the bonus track you mentioned.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:19 PM »
Yeah, I remember hearing "Bridge" on alternative radio as a single before I had even bought the album; great song.  I don't know the bonus track you mentioned.

It's on the reissue of Promised Land, a really great cut.  I think it was on the Last Action Hero soundtrack originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71yzrqrCdoI

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »

It's on the reissue of Promised Land, a really great cut.  I think it was on the Last Action Hero soundtrack originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71yzrqrCdoI
Assuming it was on the Last Action Hero soundtrack, it had quite the lineup. Alice in Chains were featured on that soundtrack as well.

Kosmo

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
The movie itself was rather silly though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
The movie sucked but look at the soundtrack;

1."Big Gun" - (AC/DC) – 4:24
2."What the Hell Have I" - (Alice in Chains) – 3:58
3."Angry Again" - (Megadeth) – 3:47
4."Real World" - (Michael Kamen and Queensr˙che) – 4:21
5."Two Steps Behind" - (Def Leppard) – 4:19
6."Poison My Eyes" - (Anthrax) – 7:04
7."Dream On" - (Aerosmith) – 5:42
8."A Little Bitter" - (Alice in Chains) – 3:53
9."Cock the Hammer" - (Cypress Hill) – 4:11
10."Swim" - (Fishbone) – 4:13
11."Last Action Hero" - (Tesla) – 5:44
12."Jack and the Ripper" - (Michael Kamen & Buckethead) – 3:43

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
I love the bonus track Real World.
After one listen, it definitely sounds very PL-esque.  Nice track!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »

This and Bride of Chucky were my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Queensryche...  Isn't that the band Jason Slater formed after leaving Snake River Conspiracy?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »

This and Bride of Chucky were my favorite soundtracks of all time.

I always wanted to get that soundtrack but never got around to it, I mean, Trumpets of Jericho and Blood Stained instantly make this great.

Always loved Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey too;

1. Shout It Out - Slaughter
 2. Battle Stations - Winger
 3. God Gave Rock and Roll to You II - Kiss
 4. Drinking Again - Neverland
 5. Dream of a New Day - Richie Kotzen
 6. Reaper, The - Steve Vai
 7. Perfect Crime, The - Faith No More
 8. Go to Hell - Megadeth
 9. Tommy the Cat - Primus
 10. Junior's Gone Wild - King's X
 11. Showdown - Love on Ice
 12. Reaper Rap, The - Steve Vai

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
Queensryche...  Isn't that the band Jason Slater formed after leaving Snake River Conspiracy?  ???

No, I believe Slater formed this band:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
WTF?  :lol