Author Topic: Holiday Eats  (Read 3789 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Holiday Eats
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
funeral potatoes

WTF is that??   :laugh:

Seriously? You're from Arizona, certainly you've been exposed to enough Mormons to have gone to one of their after funeral food fests!  :biggrin:

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/funeral-potatoes-utah-potato-casserole-2108116

Maybe this should go on the "mildly irritating" board, but why do so many recipe writers feel the need to say, "kosher salt"?  If you care, do you really need to be told?  It's not like there's any real difference between kosher and non-kosher salt.  And the damn recipe doesn't say "kosher sour cream" and "kosher black pepper," etc.  For that matter, if you're really keeping kosher, are you even making this dish?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 05:58:05 PM »
Maybe this should go on the "mildly irritating" board, but why do so many recipe writers feel the need to say, "kosher salt"?  If you care, do you really need to be told?  It's not like there's any real difference between kosher and non-kosher salt.  And the damn recipe doesn't say "kosher sour cream" and "kosher black pepper," etc.  For that matter, if you're really keeping kosher, are you even making this dish?

As I understand it, primarily because of the preference of the cook. Because of the larger surface area of the flakes, kosher salt doesn't seem to be as salty for equal volumes as finer ground salt. In this recipe, for example, it lists 1-1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt. If all I had was iodized table salt, I'd probably cut it back to 1 teaspoon. If you tend to cook a lot, you probably have a salt pig near by with kosher salt in it so you can just grab a pinch an throw it in. The author of the recipe probably primarily uses kosher salt and is just being precise about what they used to get good results.

The difference is minor enough that it does come off as a bit pretentious, doesn't it. Wait until you see a recipe that specifies Himalayan pink salt because of the spiritual benefits!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
For the acorn squash, I usually halve it, remove seeds and put it skin side down on a sheet tray. Season the other side liberally with s&p and brown sugar, a slice of butter in the empty seed cup and some maple syrup. Roast at 350 for a good 45 minutes at least till tender, then scoop out the guts, mash and re-adjust seasoning. I always prefer roasting it to peeling and boiling, the texture is just so much more appealing.

Do you cook all squash cut-side up? I have seen recipes say either way and I never know which is better lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 10:24:59 PM »
I have never in my life heard that name.  But judging from the link, I know the dish.  :tup

The ultimate food for when you want to comfort a group of grieving folks. Unfortunately, I'm not able to eat them anymore due to dietary restrictions to combat high A1C numbers.

I feel ya on teh A1C thing, it's especially a bitch in my profession. Fortunately for me, staying active (I average 35k steps a day at work alone plus hiking on weekends) and metformin keep it in check enough to where I can eat liberally (just not stupid stuff like tons of cookies, soda, or whole loaves of bread)

For the acorn squash, I usually halve it, remove seeds and put it skin side down on a sheet tray. Season the other side liberally with s&p and brown sugar, a slice of butter in the empty seed cup and some maple syrup. Roast at 350 for a good 45 minutes at least till tender, then scoop out the guts, mash and re-adjust seasoning. I always prefer roasting it to peeling and boiling, the texture is just so much more appealing.

Do you cook all squash cut-side up? I have seen recipes say either way and I never know which is better lol

Yeah, that way the butter and all the flavorings, especially the maple syrup, work there way into the flesh as its roasting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
I have never in my life heard that name.  But judging from the link, I know the dish.  :tup

The ultimate food for when you want to comfort a group of grieving folks. Unfortunately, I'm not able to eat them anymore due to dietary restrictions to combat high A1C numbers.

I feel ya on teh A1C thing, it's especially a bitch in my profession. Fortunately for me, staying active (I average 35k steps a day at work alone plus hiking on weekends) and metformin keep it in check enough to where I can eat liberally (just not stupid stuff like tons of cookies, soda, or whole loaves of bread)

True. I shouldn't have said I can't eat them anymore. In reality I can have a little, I just shouldn't eat half a casserole dish worth like I used to.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
 :lol

I feel ya on that one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
Shoot, if you limited yourself to half, you've got me beat in the self-control department.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
I average 35k steps a day at work alone

Is your kitchen at work the size of a football field?   :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
I average 35k steps a day at work alone

Is your kitchen at work the size of a football field?   :lol

Nah, it's all done in fifteen foot chunks  :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
Not a fan myself, but it's really easy to make. Frozen cranberries, sugar, orange zest and a cinnamon stick. Simmer for hours.

Little Cognac livens my version up a bit and I use fresh cranberries... easiest is always best with me. :biggrin:

I'll borrower Chef's formatting as well

Thanksgiving- Spatchcock Turkey (think Good Eats from several years back) with the skin like cracklins (we need a drool character), homemade cranberry sauce (see above), homemade yeast rolls, roasted root vegetables and sprouts with honey mustard vinaigrette, mom's stuffing, wife's sweet potato pie

Christmas Eve: Crockpot Mulled Cider, my wife's double fudge cookies (these are the stars)... seared steak, roasted asparagus, homemade crusty bread, homemade steak sauce using the pan drippings

Christmas Dinner: Spiced Pork roast, roasted sprouts with sweet peppers, shallots, and dijon mustard vinaigrette, sweet cornbread, wife's pumpkin or apple pie

New Years Eve: Homemade tomato soup, grilled cheese (using the remaining crusty bread... if there is any :biggrin:), Apricot and Fig Bread Pudding, and Thai iced tea (made with half n half)

New Years Day: Spring Rolls (not the fried type; I think its Vietnamese style) and garlic and sesame sticky noodles.... and a long run  :lol

Edit:  forgot the holiday spiced kombucha that I brew that's consumed liberally throughout the holidays.  My standard brew that gets a second bottle ferment with clove, cinnamon, and star anise.  For some of my family, this is the only one they'll drink.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:09:14 PM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 07:32:35 AM »
Yeah, that reminds me... my wife makes the best egg nog.   And yes, I'm a fan, whether it's homemade or store bought, but her's is really good (it's "high test"; there's a liberal amount of Tito's in there). 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
Yeah, I love egg nog too, all types.  I've actually taken to the Almond Milk version as well and it makes a great ice cream mix when a little more fat is added... and some rum.

So, after speaking with my wife last night, Christmas Dinner's desert will be Tres Leche cake this year, God love her!   Where's that drool emoji?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2019, 05:52:56 AM »
Most searched side dishes by state in 2019.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2019, 06:03:06 AM »
Keto Soup?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
Keto Soup?

I'm more concerned that peeps in Texas have to Google fruit salad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Fruit salad, yummy yummy. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
Acorn squash success!  So I did the trial run about a week ago using Lonestar's advice and the squash turned out way undercooked.  (I'm certain the size of the squash is a factor here.)  But it did allow me to play around with the flavors.

Today, I nuked the squash for 3 minutes - to make it easier to halve and scoop out the seeds - roasted them in a 425 degree oven for 90 minutes.  Salt and pepper on the cut sides up, then drizzled with quality maple syrup, a tablespoon each of butter and brown sugar, then a generous sprinkle of cardamom.  Once out and cooled a bit, I dumped the buttery goodness into my food processor, then scooped out the squash and added a drizzle of heavy cream and hit pulse a couple of times.

The consistency may be a tad bit thinner than I'm used to, but the flavors are heavenly.  No disrespect to my mom, but I think this is the best prep I've ever tasted.  Yay to trying new things!  And thanks to Lonestar for the nudge.   :tup
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
Awesome, glad it worked out...nuking it is an interesting trick, never thought of it. We did 8 cases of squash (18 per case) for our client's Thanksgiving last week, and just plowed through it. (probably would've burnt out the microwave on that hahah). :RJ:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »
Acorn squash, fruit salad, keto soup, green bean casserole... The lack of discussion about meat in this thread is making me reconsider my forum membership.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
Acorn squash, fruit salad, keto soup, green bean casserole... The lack of discussion about meat in this thread is making me reconsider my forum membership.

For our client's Thanksgiving we also did 80 turkeys and 40 stone ground mustard glazed hams.

Happy now?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2019, 12:25:15 AM »
Thanks lonestar. Thank you for getting us back on track!

Incidentally, I went to my sister's house Thursday, and she and my husband are better than average cooks, so I decided to give their green bean casserole a try. I must say it was mildly tasty. That sounds like faint praise but it isn't considering how much I generally hate that dish. It tasted like others I've had (except it might have been more mushroom-y) so I don't think they did anything particularly unique to their recipe. It just somehow managed to mask the horrible taste of green beans enough to make it palatable for me.

They also made some dish with yams, pineapple, and marshmallows. I cannot think of an odder threesome to end up in a dish together. I was too terrified to try it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
LoL - Chris, life is short!  Try new things*

My green bean casserole was better than ever this year!  I used a combination of white and yellow sharp cheddar and my kids claimed the cheese to bean ratio was perfect.  So well in fact, that one of them is going to the store today for more beans and I will demonstrate my green bean casserole-making technique.  FTW, I used Red Robin's seasoning in place of Paula Deen's seasoning.   :P

*exception for eating bugs and any kind of offal.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You can add cheese?! No one in my family has ever included cheese in their recipe!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
I'll say it again - Paula Deen has got the goods for the green bean casserole.  Nothing a pound of butter and cheese can't make better.   :laugh:

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/southern-green-bean-casserole-recipe/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
I've got nothing against green bean casserole, but it honestly just seems like an excuse to eat baked cheese sauce with fried onions on top. The beans just seem like an afterthought, put in place because they're a fairly benign veggie. Nothing at all wrong with that, but I can think of better vehicles for it than green beans. I've made it from scratch and it turned out pretty good, but really there are plenty of other casseroles to go for.

I really want to like sweet potatoes, but every fucking person on earth drowns them in sugar, and often plenty of other too sweet things. And every damn one of those assholes says "you'd love mine, I don't make them very sweet at all," before bringing out a god damned twenty-thousand calorie mess of sugar, butter, syrup, marshmallow, and gods know what else.

My standard holiday takealong side has switched to a hasselback gratin. I prefer it to my mac and cheese, but often times I'm out-voted (and occasionally threatened), so I don't always have the choice. Still, it's cheaper, healthier, easier, and looks magnificent, so that's my preference.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
On Thanksgiving I had Smoked Stuffing with Bacon. Holy shit that was good.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
I've got nothing against green bean casserole, but it honestly just seems like an excuse to eat baked cheese sauce with fried onions on top.

LoL, that's exactly right!  Honestly though, I'm with you.  I'd rather have sautéed green beans but I'd be the only happy person at my table, so the much-loved casserole gets the nod. 

My standard holiday takealong side has switched to a hasselback gratin. I prefer it to my mac and cheese, but often times I'm out-voted (and occasionally threatened), so I don't always have the choice. Still, it's cheaper, healthier, easier, and looks magnificent, so that's my preference.

That sounds amazing.  I tried a hasselback-type dessert once that was essentially a baked apple dish.  It was a lot more work than I had anticipated and the finished product was just ok.  I've sort of steered clear of hasselback recipes since then.  If you have it in recipe form, could you PM it to me or post it here?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
My standard holiday takealong side has switched to a hasselback gratin.

What the heck are those? Potatoes that guarantee a win in OT and then toss a pick-6 to lose?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
I stumbled across Kenji Alt-Lopez Epstein Smith's recipe and made a couple of changes. If you only cover the spuds half way the tops will be hard rather than nicely crispy. You need 3/4 or 7/8 covered. Also, for my money asiago's the way to go with potatoes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-hasselback-potato-gratin-the-best-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

The downside is that it really does take 90 minutes to cook. That complicates things when you're taking it elsewhere to cook. You have to get their pretty early, and at family holidays I'm usually nicely toasted an hour after I get there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
That recipe looks amazing and I book marked it for future reference.  TY

My kid is obsessed with the funeral potatoes.  I tried to swap the Christmas feast from the funeral potatoes to the hasselback recipe and while the kid was definitely interested the swap idea got a resounding "NO WAY" with a very whiny "It's the only thing I like to eat at Christmas!"   ::) :laugh:

Then a hasty, "Why not both?"  That ain't happening but I admire the attempt.   :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
eggnog ROCKS
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"