Author Topic: Sentimental Music  (Read 3196 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Sentimental Music
« on: November 27, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure we had a thread like this before, but I couldn't find it...

What are some of your most sentimental albums/songs.... things that bring you back to the moment you were listening to it and make you feel happy, or sad that you can't go back to that time?

Mine are:
Queen - Queen II
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Elton John - Dan Dare
Elton John - A Single Man
Rush - Xanadu/Cygnus X-1
Boston - Don't Look Back
Dream Theater - Scene From A Memory
Dream Theater - Octavarium (Song)
Blind Faith - Had to Cry Today

Those are the ones that spring to my mind.... what are yours?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sentimental Music
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
dredg for me.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
I'd say Master of Puppets, Cowboys From Hell and Reign In Blood. The first three metal CD's I bought and I was just blown away. I think I was around 14 years old at the time. I can still remember the first time I heard them, so in that way they are very sentimental.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
Every Rammstein song
Rush - The Camera Eye
Time Flies - Porcupine Tree

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
dredg - El Cielo, the album and feel of it brings back some of the happiest memories of my life. Almost all of dredg does, but this album in particular.

Kaki King - Legs To Make Us Longer, same as the above, it's a little bittersweet when I listen to it, it was a rough time in my life when I discovered this album but also a time that really made me grow up, so depending on how I'm feeling I'll either listen to it, or I'll stay away because it brings back some old memories. "Everybody Loves You" is also kind of the same way.

Candlebox - Candlebox - I first heard this album on a bus ride to miami and every time I put on the album I can almost feel being in the bus, the weather, the time of day it's crazy.

Rush - Hope - Same as above, except I was in my own car this time and I was driving from miami

Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence CD1 - Takes me back to sophomore year in High School. I remember driving my car to see my new gf and I was listening to the first disc, I actually circled the neighborhood because the first cd was so epic. Too bad the second disk was just terrible.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:26:51 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline ehra

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
I grew up listening to Styx, Yes, Genesis, Rush, and Dream Theater with my dad. Good times.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
P.O.D. - Satellite

Never fails to bring me back to when I started to listen to music I still love today. And it was during a rough patch in my life, but it was music that helped me deal.

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 1, TSCO, As I Am

The first three DT songs I heard, I loved them and it was also during a rough patch and I remember the music's general awesomeness blow me away every time I listened.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
Eric Clapton---Wonderful Tonight.    It's what my wife and I danced for our first dance at our wedding.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
I think Santana's first album because it was the first full album I listened to. Great old music there.

Other music would be various songs Hendrix played at Woodstock like Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Villanova Junction Blues (I dug the blues before I knew what the blues was :D).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
Going to California, Led Zeppelin.

Heard it on the plane after leaving Georgia after my divorce.  I literally broke down in tears, and now can't hear it without choking up.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:50:13 PM »
Sentimental - Porcupine Tree
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »
Radiohead - In Rainbows

reminds me of the weirdest period in my life so far. Great album, but sometimes it's just too much.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »
Spock's Beard - Snow. I've always enjoyed concept albums/rock operas (The Lamb, Tommy, Scenes From A Memory) and when I came upon SB's 6th album, I knew I found something special. The songs, the music, the themes and reprises, the ups and downs... it all filled me with emotion and feeling that I'd never felt before when listening to an album. In the 5-6 years since first hearing that album, it's become one of my favorite albums of all time, and definitely one of my Desert Island Discs. The last two songs are two of my favorite, and they're very moving - "I Will Go" and "Made Alive Again / Wind At My Back" - 12 minutes of just amazing music there at the end.

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever. The epics are definitely the band's shining moments, particularly the climax to "Stranger In Your Soul". That ending really gets to the center of my soul and fills it with emotion and power. Also, the title track is one of the most moving ballads I have ever heard in my life - it's one of those songs I know I want played at my funeral.

Rush - Vapor Trails. This album came out not long before I started getting into prog, and Rush were my favorite band through high school (98-02), so when this album came out, I was ecstatic. The rawness of the arrangements and sound, the pounding drums, the moving lyrics, the in-your-face feeling... I really connected with this album, and it helped me through some odd times in my life (starting college, rocky relationship, getting through college). I love the album, although I will occasionally gripe about the production just like most Rush fans, but beyond that, it's definitely one of my most played discs in my earlier years of getting into music. I think I played that album so much it's probably my most scratched up CD! And I rarely ever play my actual CDs anymore, I make copies to play in my car, or I listen to albums on my iPod. I've waited to buy a replacement of the album in hopes that they'd remaster the album...but as the years go by, I'm starting to think they won't...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 03:36:04 AM »
It's funny because most of the time when i listen to music, i play a game meanwhile, and looking back at many of my favorite albums, i connect them with a certain part of a game i was playing when i first heard it.
Most of these would be WoW-moments (mostly because that's what i mainly play), so for example i would connect a certain album with a certain character or zone, or whatever i was doing.
That makes me feel very sentimental. :P

I could make a list, but that would be many albums. ;)
There's also music i used to listen to when i was like 13-14 that i don't listen to anymore (that much at least), like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Iron Maiden, Metallica and In Flames (to name a few), and whenever i hear them i feel very nostalgic.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »
Disturbed's album Believe always reminds of going fishing with my dad and brother which makes me pretty happy.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »
Rush - Marathon

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
This is kinda crazy, but:

I have a playlist called "8th grade, semester 2," and it's basically my iPod from Jan. to June 2004.  It's really sentimental for me 'cause this was everything I was listening to when I started to seriously get into music: Linkin Park, Evanescence, P.O.D., Disturbed, Lostprophets, etc.

Sevendust (their first five albums) remind me of my first couple years in high school, which were also really important to me: my first love and my first love lost (obviously not actually love, but it certainly changed me forever).

There are others but it would be a long-ass list.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »
Green Day, all the 80s/00s pop songs our whole family listened to on long car journeys, EVERY Disney song, and Dixie Chick's Landslide which I first heard while catching Rayquaza in Pokemon Ruby, so I'll always connect it with that awesome moment.  :P

Offline jsem

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Duke Ellington - In A Sentimental Mood (ellington & coltrane version -definitely)

DT - The Best of Times

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
Comfortably Numb - pink floyd
wither - dream theater

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 06:40:34 AM »
What are some of your most sentimental albums/songs.... things that bring you back to the moment you were listening to it and make you feel happy, or sad that you can't go back to that time?

I can't really think of any songs like that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:37 AM »

You are not human and I'm calling the Men In Black.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »

Stop it.

JUST STOP IT IAN.

You've been taking the joy out of life since 1990.

EDIT - I BET YOU'RE THE ONE THAT KILLED CHRISTMAS

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 08:40:15 AM »
Tool - Stinkfist. Which is a weird one, I know, but I'm getting over it now. Likewise, A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me, although that's somewhat less weird.

Porcupine Tree - Always Never tends to upset me a bit as well.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (album)

Good times, but i really don't want to go back there

Devin Townsend - Canada 

It reminds me of the very cold winter morning that I was driving to school and the entire album clicked at the very last line: "Only the lonely (and maybe john denver) know the Canadian freeway". Such an epic moment.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick