Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385456 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel September 2019)
« Reply #2555 on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
Flying Colors is my favorite non-DT project of his. By Far. I even loved the 2nd album (minus that first song).

My only fear is that when MP gets super excited about this kind of stuff, it makes me worry that it's more super prog than I'd like. I hope they stick to the short catchy fun rock songs, and lesson the 10 minute Transatlantic style epics. But we'll see. I'm skeptical, but only because I think that Portnoy tends to go full prog when he has the chance.
Good points all round. Completely agree with you about both FC albums, and the opening track of Second Nature in particular. The other long songs weren't Transatlantic-prog style, they were much slower builds and I honestly really like them, but that opener is just so out of place on the album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2556 on: July 17, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
As much as I love Neal Morse's music and the songs where he sings, A Place in Your World has not aged well for me. The melodies sound clunky and it sounds like a song that was meant to be more simple, but was progged up a little, to where it sounds like the song that couldn't decide what it wanted to be, if that makes sense.  Maybe seeing it live will get me to like it again, as I am sure it will get played at Morsefest.

The Fury of My Love, on the other hand, has aged really well. I love that one.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2557 on: July 17, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
I've always been critical of Open up your eyes, but I listened to it last week and liked it more than I did before. I recall it being way more progressive and reminiscent of Translatlantic, but it was actually fairly poppy. Still, it is tad long, and I like my FC brief and concise.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2558 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
Only speculation perhaps, but MP is definitely someone who gets very excitable about things he's involved in (this is very much not a criticism, it's one of my favourite things about him) and so I don't interpret it as hype for marketing sake, but genuine excitement and love for what his band has produced.

Completely fair to poke fun at him for it and as some have remarked, I'm sure if anything it puts some people off because it's so over the top.

I agree, his excitement is genuine, I just don’t trust his excitement at all. Since leaving DT, Mike has released at least 10 of his top 5 albums... I’m joking, but you get the idea. There’s just no believing him when he releases a few albums every year and each one is “one of the best he’s ever done”. Oh, and how many “main bands” has he formed since he left DT? 3 at least...
Like I said before, there’s nothing wrong with standing 100% behind your art and being proud of that, I respect that, but Mike just overhypes every new thing he does and expects every single one of his fans to love it just because he’s involved with it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2559 on: July 17, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »
Well, I remember Mike being excited about The Similitude of a Dream and not as excited for The Great Adventure and he was right about both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2560 on: July 18, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
I really don't know what to make of Open Up Your Eyes. I enjoy it a lot, but I can also find much to criticize about it. I think it's too short to justify including a 4-minute "overture" section. The overture takes up about a third of the track. Then, apart from the first vocal section, the rest of it feels like a patching-together of climax sections from different epics.

And the issue I have with MP here is that when you keep saying each album is the best you've ever done, you cannot be correct for all of them. You can only be correct once. Does it mean the previous albums are all rubbish?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: July 18, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
In a related story, when asked what the top 5 films of his career are, Harrison Ford proudly said they are The Secret Life of Pets 2, Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Age of Adaline, and The Expendables 3.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2562 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »

And the issue I have with MP here is that when you keep saying each album is the best you've ever done, you cannot be correct for all of them. You can only be correct once. Does it mean the previous albums are all rubbish?

Only the ones that featured a Canadian and Kevin Moore. :P

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2563 on: July 18, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
Actually, it's quite possible.  Even if the second album is only slightly better that then first, it's still the best you've ever done, and it doesn't make the first album rubbish.  Then you make a third album, and it could be slightly better than the second; it is now the best you've ever done.  And so on.  There need only be marginal improvement each time to quality as "the best ever" and none of them render the previous works any less worthy.

I'm not saying that Mike isn't being fully hyperbolic as always; I'm just saying that what he says could actually be true.  Most artists continue to move forward, try to improve each time they do something.  He's not wrong to feel that way.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: July 18, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

Does that mean a double album?

Now that I think about it, maybe the lenght of the songs, are what made a doble vinyl album. But probably not a doble CD album unless the songs are shorter and we are getting a doble album (CD/LP)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:12:51 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2565 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:43 PM »
Actually, it's quite possible.  Even if the second album is only slightly better that then first, it's still the best you've ever done, and it doesn't make the first album rubbish.  Then you make a third album, and it could be slightly better than the second; it is now the best you've ever done.  And so on.  There need only be marginal improvement each time to quality as "the best ever" and none of them render the previous works any less worthy.

I'm not saying that Mike isn't being fully hyperbolic as always; I'm just saying that what he says could actually be true.  Most artists continue to move forward, try to improve each time they do something.  He's not wrong to feel that way.

Your entire post makes total sense, but I think it is worth pointing out that Portnoy's extreme hyperbole (if hyperbole, which is already extreme, can be even more extreme :lol ) is what some of us are poking fun at.  What it all boils down to is that Portnoy is a super excited music fan who goes nutty over who his own music quite often on a social media, which comes across as awfully self-congratulatory, but it comes from a good place, I think.  The fact that he does so much is always just more evidence that there is no bigger Mike Portnoy fan in the world than Mike Portnoy.  :lol :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2566 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
Absolutely true.

I was just feeling a bit literal.  I mean, we can bag on Mike for his choice of words, but usually that's because what he's saying is so ridiculous that it can't possibly be true, if it even makes literal sense.  I was looking at that and realizing that not only does it make sense, but it's also quite true, from a certain point of view.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2567 on: July 18, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »

Does that mean a doble album?

Now that I think about it, maybe the lenght of the songs, are what made a doble vinyl album. But probably not a doble CD album unless the songs are shorter and we are getting a doble album (CD/LP)

Nope. Remember, a standard vinyl record is good for 40-45 minutes. I would assume this new album is anywhere in that 60-80 threshold which necessitates a double vinyl release.

For instance, the new Opeth album has packages that include both the English and Swedish versions. They are 2 CD's and 4 LP's. So with FC it is safe to assume 1 CD and 2 LP's.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2568 on: July 19, 2019, 04:28:09 AM »
A Dooley Album?

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2569 on: July 19, 2019, 06:30:40 AM »
A Doble Dooley album? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2570 on: July 19, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
A double album with only Tom Dooley covers.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2571 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
Based on what Neal said in this month's newsletter (small quote below), looks like the 3rd album will be more like the 2nd than the 1st...

"I'm really happy with the way the album's turned out and there are some really nice regular songs, some very rocking edgy tracks, as well as some longer prog epics."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2572 on: July 23, 2019, 03:49:08 AM »
If I recall correctly, Mike's screenshot confirmed there was an 11-minute song on the album (the song is called Crawl, apparently), so if there's another epic, lets hope it's not longer than Blue ocean. That way, the album would be more similar to the debut.  ;D

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2573 on: July 23, 2019, 03:59:17 AM »
Fantastic! I don't care that Neal Morse does epics regularly. This isn't Neal Morse. This is Flying Colors. No one moaned about Liquid Tension Experiment sounding too much like Dream Theater, so why are people suddenly doing that now with Flying Colors and Neal Morse? Double standards, hypocrisy.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2574 on: July 23, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »
To be fair, I wasn't around for LTE.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2575 on: July 23, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
Got my ticket.   REALLY excited.  I'm seeing Rick Wakeman, Steve Hackett and (hopefully) Alter Bridge all around that time, and yet this is the show I'm really looking forward to.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2576 on: July 23, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »
Fantastic! I don't care that Neal Morse does epics regularly. This isn't Neal Morse. This is Flying Colors. No one moaned about Liquid Tension Experiment sounding too much like Dream Theater, so why are people suddenly doing that now with Flying Colors and Neal Morse? Double standards, hypocrisy.

??? ???

Not sure where you are seeing a double standard or hypocrisy, if you care to unpack that a little more.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2577 on: July 23, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
People seem to want Flying Colors to be non-prog, but that's not going to happen. All these musicians have prog in their DNA and it cannot be suppressed. It should not be suppressed. LET THE PROG FREE AND REACH FOR THE SUN, my glorious progressive warriors! I hope they put out a stonking epic (like, 25-30 minutes) at some point, if not on this album. It will be magnificent!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2578 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
I just hope Casey takes all the lead vocals this time, leaving MP and NM to do the backing vocals only. His voice is the draw for me.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2579 on: July 23, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
People seem to want Flying Colors to be non-prog, but that's not going to happen. All these musicians have prog in their DNA and it cannot be suppressed. It should not be suppressed. LET THE PROG FREE AND REACH FOR THE SUN, my glorious progressive warriors! I hope they put out a stonking epic (like, 25-30 minutes) at some point, if not on this album. It will be magnificent!

No, I think it's that many of us preferred the balance on the first album, where it was more straight forward with a little prog sprinkled in here and there, rather than tilting more towards that direction like it did on the second album.  Both Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy have multiple other projects to go full-on or heavy on the prog, and it is just a slight bummer to see this taking a more prog direction again, but hey, it's their band and they can do what they want, and I am sure I will still like this album either way. 

I still have no idea what double standard or hypocrisy you are talking about, though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2580 on: July 23, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »

I prefer FC to be proggy as opposed to the Beatles-ish sound some of the songs on the debut had, but I don’t want it to sound like TA or NMB either. There should be a balance.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2581 on: July 23, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
well Gabriel, IMHO, having both Neal and MP in the equation, the Beatles influences would be inevitable :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2582 on: July 23, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
From Neal's July IC Newsletter -

"We're looking for a release date in October, so look out for that."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2583 on: July 23, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
well Gabriel, IMHO, having both Neal and MP in the equation, the Beatles influences would be inevitable :D

But we got Steve Morse, Dave LaRue and Casey McPherson to fix that :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2584 on: July 24, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
Schedules worked out for the Philly show. In the afternoon 2:30-4:00pm I'll be in Rahway seeing Phideaux at ProgStock and this onto Philly for Flying Colors.

What are we doing about Dream Theater? Suppose I've been pretty lucky with conflicts such as this up till now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2585 on: July 24, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »
Flying Colors is my favorite non-DT project of his. By Far. I even loved the 2nd album (minus that first song).

My only fear is that when MP gets super excited about this kind of stuff, it makes me worry that it's more super prog than I'd like. I hope they stick to the short catchy fun rock songs, and lesson the 10 minute Transatlantic style epics. But we'll see. I'm skeptical, but only because I think that Portnoy tends to go full prog when he has the chance.

As long as its good, I really don't care what it is. But is does seem that less meandering is a strength of this band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2586 on: July 24, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
I just hope Casey takes all the lead vocals this time, leaving MP and NM to do the backing vocals only. His voice is the draw for me.

Don't think I'd mind that either.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel October 2019)
« Reply #2587 on: July 24, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
Already have my Flying Colors tickets, and unlike Dream Theater, they are one of the few acts Jennie goes with me to see, so the choice is easy. Had I not already seen SFaM earlier in the year it would be much tougher though.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2588 on: July 25, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »
I try to stay away from "I want..." when it comes to the bands I like - I'm well and truly interested in what the musicians want to do - I know for me I keep going to back to "Kayla", "The Storm" and "Better Than Walking Away", and I'd love to hear some more well-crafted, well-written, played-with-integrity music, and am not interested in how it fits in with any genre.   

I remember when FC first came out and the title and lengths were posted on a forum, and the place went (relatively) crazy about how "great!" the seven minute and twelve minute songs were going to be!  I thought then and still think that's ridiculous.  And for my money, they are not even top five on the album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2589 on: July 25, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
I try to stay away from "I want..." when it comes to the bands I like - I'm well and truly interested in what the musicians want to do - I know for me I keep going to back to "Kayla", "The Storm" and "Better Than Walking Away", and I'd love to hear some more well-crafted, well-written, played-with-integrity music, and am not interested in how it fits in with any genre.   

I remember when FC first came out and the title and lengths were posted on a forum, and the place went (relatively) crazy about how "great!" the seven minute and twelve minute songs were going to be!  I thought then and still think that's ridiculous.  And for my money, they are not even top five on the album.

Yup, this is me 99%. Well said, Stadler. I'm gonna hopefully see FC for the first time this fall, and I just want some good music from these super talented people. On their own I couldn't care less, especially about Neal Morse, but in this group, I look forward to hearing stuff like "The Storm." Not so much BTWA or Kayla, though - that's the 1% :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"