Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 383797 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors (Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson)
« Reply #2485 on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
Lyrics for the new album aren't finished yet.  :facepalm:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »

Did you interview one of the guys recently or did you happen to read this somewhere? Please provide a link so that we can all  :facepalm: together
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2487 on: March 20, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
That's a very strange thing to bump this thread for with zero context whatsoever. If we're not expecting this album until late summer at the earliest, and it's only March...give them time. I'm sure they've got this.

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #2488 on: March 20, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
it was mentioned in Neal's inner circle newsletter

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2489 on: March 20, 2019, 02:53:37 PM »

Did you interview one of the guys recently or did you happen to read this somewhere? Please provide a link so that we can all  :facepalm: together

I believe he read it the same place I did - Neal's Inner Circle Newsletter. I typically would post the whole quote and give context, but looks like he brought it up before I could (I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to stop and post here til now). Here's what Neal has said about it:
For me personally, I'm not even thinking about Morsefest yet because I'm in the middle of The Great Adventour and writing lyrics for the Flying Colors album still. I didn't get as many lyrics together as I had hoped to because I got inspired in other areas while on the road in the U.S.. I wrote quite a few LIFE & TIMES - type songs, just because I felt inspired. I'm sure more of the Flying Colors lyrics will be coming to me. We always have to follow our inspiration and sometimes it doesn't have a timeline, at least one that we understand. But I digress...

Seems like Neal is working on his lyrics, though I wonder if the others (particularly Casey) are also working on lyrics. I suppose the songs are all done, and Mike has tracked his drums, which probably means they all picked songs to write lyrics for, and I doubt Neal is writing ALL of the lyrics. I can't find any information online at this moment about who wrote which songs, so I can't be too sure that Neal *didn't* write all of the lyrics on the first two albums, but given how many vocalists there are, I would think that Casey, and maybe Mike, have written or contributed to the lyric-writing on the first two albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: March 20, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
Oh, yes, sorry. I was just a bit dissapointed and forgot to write more context

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2491 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Oh, yes, sorry. I was just a bit dissapointed and forgot to write more context

It's still Mid-March, and even if they release the album in September, which sounds likely given that Neal has teased that Morsefest might get some new FC songs (which would sound enticing if the album wasn't out yet), they still have about 6 months to finish everything. Lyrics typically come late in the game of finishing an album anyway, so hopefully everyone else has their instruments tracked and sent to Rich for the mix already. I'd be more worried if they were still recording their tracks!!! Neal (and the others) can take another 2-4 months doing lyrics for all we know, and they would still be on time to roll out the album in September.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2492 on: March 21, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be. They've already recorded the instrumental tracks and they're just writing some words for the vocalist to make their instrument (the voice) sound vaguely coherent (ie. using words in a language that sounds vaguely like English, not necessarily in an order we understand).

Also, I checked the first two album booklets, and they're no help at all in terms of who wrote lyrics for those albums. Just the get-out clause that is "All songs written by Flying Colors". Come on, give the individual writers some credit!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: March 21, 2019, 05:54:27 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be.

That depends on the band. I remember an Interview in that metal show where JP asked Geddy how they worked writing songs and Geddy told him that Neal would bring lyrics to him and Alex and they would work the music around them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2494 on: March 21, 2019, 06:32:23 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be.

That depends on the band. I remember an Interview in that metal show where JP asked Geddy how they worked writing songs and Geddy told him that Neal would bring lyrics to him and Alex and they would work the music around them.

Then Geddy would go back to Neil and try to phrase it  differently to help Geddy sing the melody he saw fit the music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2495 on: March 21, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »

I loved that interview. I remember watching it, wishing
1. That it would go on forever
2. That those hosts would just stfu while two Gods are talking
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2496 on: April 22, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
Neal just wrote on FB:

Writing lyrics with Casey McPherson today on Skype. Workin on FC3. Really good stuff coming!

https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/videos/321062171914707/?lh=115ff26f2c758753dcda4f7995a17e49

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2497 on: April 22, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
Neal just wrote on FB:

Writing lyrics with Casey McPherson today on Skype. Workin on FC3. Really good stuff coming!

https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/videos/321062171914707/?lh=115ff26f2c758753dcda4f7995a17e49

I don't know why this popped into my head imagining that.

NM: So then during the bridge, you can say "Watch me walking away..."
CM: Yes! I can say "Watch me walking away from Jesus"
NM:.............no

That's inspired by the movie Saved! by the way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: May 31, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »

NEW DATES and Title album revealed

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: May 31, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
Nice

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2500 on: May 31, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »
I was just gonna post and say "you're not gonna tell us?" then the picture showed up in the previous messages bit on this reply page.

Maybe people should post details in text form as well. Pictures don't always load, and there was no indication that a picture was even supposed to be there.

Anyway, cool title!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2501 on: May 31, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
I will be in NYC on October 7th, if anyone cares. :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2502 on: May 31, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
HOLY SHIT THEY ARE COMING TO VENTURA!??!?!?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I literally spat out my drink upon seeing this!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2503 on: May 31, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »
Yes....Your eyes are not deceiving you...FLYING COLORS 2019 TOUR DATES!!!

The good news: Flying Colors’ long awaited 3rd Studio Album “Third Degree” is being finished as we speak and currently set for a September release (a lot more info on that coming very soon!)

The bad news: Steve will be on tour with Deep Purple upon the album’s release...

But wait...there’s more good news: our fearless guitarist has offered himself on DP’s days off to be able to swing some FC shows in select cities throughout their US Tour!!! (Hurray Steve!! Thank you)

And guess what?? There’s even MORE good news: We are going to be able to swing 4 shows in Europe in December as well!! (We will likely be announcing those next week)

Now, the only remaining bad news: THESE ARE IT!!! These 5 US shows, the coming 4 EU shows TBA and our appearance on Cruise To The Edge 2020 are *IT* (at least for the foreseeable immediate future)...

So PLEASE do not bombard us with “Come To Brazil”, “Come To Italy”, & “Come To Saskatchewan” posts...It has been quite difficult to coordinate these 10 appearances as it is...so if we can’t come to you, please do your best to come to us!!! We promise it will be worth the effort...

--------
I wonder who they will have to cover for Steve...

-Marc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
No one is covering for Steve.

These dates are on his days off with Deep Purple.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2505 on: May 31, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
No one is covering for Steve.

These dates are on his days off with Deep Purple.

Oh you're right, I was misreading it. Well that's good for Steve then.

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #2506 on: May 31, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »

Hey baby.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2507 on: May 31, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »

I care.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #2508 on: May 31, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »

I care.

Please tell me you're, somehow, going to be there.

I feel like if I ever wanted to destroy all of existence, getting to be with both you and Stadler at the same time is an assured way to do it. If it's just Stadler and me, then maybe only like half of the universe would implode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: May 31, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
It's not on Ventura Theater's calendar yet. I wanna know when they are going on sale. Anyone else planning on going?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2510 on: May 31, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »
Cool news about FC3! Shame there won't be more tourdates, but something's better than nothing, especially given Steve's gig with DP. Once they retire, I would imagine FC will get more road time.

Coincidentally, I happen to be looking at Hugh Syme's website today, and I happened to stumble across this:
http://www.hughsyme.com/#212

Seems what we recognize as the cover art for Second Nature isn't what was the original idea, based on what he wrote below it: "The real cover". Thoughts?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2511 on: May 31, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
Bummer to see so few shows, but it's pretty understandable as to why. I'll be there for the first show at Morsefest. :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2512 on: May 31, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »

I care.

I feel like if I ever wanted to destroy all of existence, getting to be with both you and Stadler at the same time is an assured way to do it. If it's just Stadler and me, then maybe only like half of the universe would implode.

Oh, no, I'm not going to be there.  I just care, that's all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #2513 on: May 31, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »

I care.

Oh, no, I'm not going to be there.  I just care, that's all.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel September 2019)
« Reply #2514 on: May 31, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
Anyone else thinking about the title? Interesting that they're using "Third" as a follow-up to "Second" in "Second Nature". Makes me wonder how they'll incorporate "Fourth" in their following album.

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2515 on: May 31, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
I predict the fourth one will be The Fourth wall, and MP will be pissed about the inevitable comparison to Dream Theater's live album of a similar name.  ;)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2516 on: May 31, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »
Cool news about FC3! Shame there won't be more tourdates, but something's better than nothing, especially given Steve's gig with DP. Once they retire, I would imagine FC will get more road time.

Coincidentally, I happen to be looking at Hugh Syme's website today, and I happened to stumble across this:
http://www.hughsyme.com/#212

Seems what we recognize as the cover art for Second Nature isn't what was the original idea, based on what he wrote below it: "The real cover". Thoughts?

Ugh, glad they didn't use that one. I'm not a big fan of the artwork they used for Second Nature (it's ok), but it's much much better than what is shown here.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2517 on: May 31, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »
Money's tight, but I'm going to do everything I can to catch the Arcada show. Saw them there on the last tour from something like the 5th row. It was an amazing show. Plus, this is right after my birthday so I can use that as leverage for tix.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2518 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »

Hey baby.

NYC is only a 6 hour drive from me now... but it is a Monday night.   :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2519 on: June 01, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »
Quote from: The Letter M in lieu of Mike Portnoylink=topic=18702.msg2555803#msg2555803 date=1559330415
So PLEASE do not bombard us with “Come To Brazil”, “Come To Italy”, & “Come To Saskatchewan” posts...It has been quite difficult to coordinate these 10 appearances as it is...so if we can’t come to you, please do your best to come to us!!! We promise it will be worth the effort...

Someone on FB asked what's wrong with fans asking bands to come to play where they are, and I replied explaining briefly how every musician must be fed up with endless "Come to my backyard" posts, considering that it's not their job in the first place and that most are out of place, such as asking for european dates when there's an american tour.... Portnoy (and no one else) liked my comment, I like to imagine him reading and going "yeah.... at least this guy gets it"  :lol

That said, I wonder why he singled out Italy in his example - it's just a random pick or my fellow citizens go overboard in asking for it?  :biggrin:

About the album I'm interested to see what it will be like, I loved the first but never really cared for the second - I should give it one more try I guess...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!