Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 389095 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #1330 on: September 07, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »
We also had a quick run-in with Mike Orlando. Fun.

Did anyone go Psychosane?

Also, I'd probably go psychosane with temptation to make audible AMOB slagging comments... Just sayin'  :biggrin:

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1331 on: September 07, 2012, 07:15:33 AM »
No, but Nick and I made up a new freight train hand shake that's pretty gay... and were going to show Russell Allen one day.. hes going to hate us.. or love us.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
Mike sang awfully off pitch the whole song.

Mike portnoy sings like a bird.

Fascinating.

I think one reason for the discrepancy in opinion is that in the main room they had pulled down his voice quite a bit. In the lounge area you could clearly hear the mix though, and it was pretty bad.

Actually, I think the reason for the discrepancy is me consuming lots of alcohol.  But seriously, ZepDT and I were talking on the ride home and we thought he sang "Fool In My Heart" pretty well, but "Repentance" wasn't as good. 

That was a fun night tho.  I feel like I met a mini DT celebrity: rumborak.  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1333 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
The Storm was hands-down my favorite tune last night. So energy, so powah.

EDIT: Also, wtf at the Fonz joke!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1334 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »

Actually, I think the reason for the discrepancy is me consuming lots of alcohol.  But seriously, ZepDT and I were talking on the ride home and we thought he sang "Fool In My Heart" pretty well, but "Repentance" wasn't as good. 

That was a fun night tho.  I feel like I met a mini DT celebrity: rumborak.  :metal

You have bad luck with meeting celebs... You should probably get that checked out.  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1335 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
Portnoy's tweet yesterday:

To all the people commenting on my FC house music CD asking why no metal...I make diff playlists for different bands/tours...FC is NOT metal.

Just sharing!  :metal
I saw the playlist on facebook, that's one awesome playlist. Can't go wrong with Weezer, Muse, Coldplay, Travis and Radiohead.  :heart

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1336 on: September 07, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Steve Morse should take Casey to the side at some point and teach him how to prepare a guitar for a gig. His constant tuning was rather distracting.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1337 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
It's cool when you can hear a guitar solo or a guitarist's tone and know immediately who it is.  There are a couple of songs where there would be solo passages where even if I didn't know it was Steve Morse, I'd have guessed it to be him, simply because of the way some of his solos sound.  Which isn't a bad thing, of course.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #1338 on: September 08, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
Just watched the live videos on YouTube and they weren't very good live...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: September 08, 2012, 06:12:13 AM »
I saw a video of "The Storm" which seemed completely passionless. I saw "seemed" because you can never really tell if you weren't there.

Mike was trying to bring the energy to the performance, as always, but the rest of the band and the audience were just completely stationary. Neal Morse seemed like the most bored of all up there, too. Ultimately, I dunno, it doesn't look like a band up there. I could be wrong, but after watching some of these vids I'm kinda realizing why this is just a part-time gig.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1340 on: September 08, 2012, 06:24:38 AM »
Rumbo, I heard you yelled out at the top of your lungs, "Piss break" at the perfect moment. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1341 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
There are some nice videos to be found, I'm really digging them. I hope this won't be their only tour because I really couldn't really sort it all out in order to see them live this year. Casey is a pretty cool guy onstage, and it's so weird to see Neal Morse hanging in the background not being in the center of attention, that must feel weird for him as well.  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1342 on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
Yeah. I am too.  Wish I got to see them live.   I really dig the album. Hope to here more from them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1343 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
There are some nice videos to be found, I'm really digging them. I hope this won't be their only tour because I really couldn't really sort it all out in order to see them live this year. Casey is a pretty cool guy onstage, and it's so weird to see Neal Morse hanging in the background not being in the center of attention, that must feel weird for him as well.  ;D
Funny ol' performance in general - you can tell they're a new band. Just finding their roles. That's a good thing, though, I think. I like the unpolished nature. New, raw, unknown. Very nifty stuff. Vocals sound great to me. And how neat's the instrumental stuff in The Storm?

Though, Casey's not quite got the trademark JLB backstage-wander down pat.  That's fine, early days!

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1344 on: September 08, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
I saw a video of "The Storm" which seemed completely passionless. I saw "seemed" because you can never really tell if you weren't there.

Mike was trying to bring the energy to the performance, as always, but the rest of the band and the audience were just completely stationary. Neal Morse seemed like the most bored of all up there, too. Ultimately, I dunno, it doesn't look like a band up there. I could be wrong, but after watching some of these vids I'm kinda realizing why this is just a part-time gig.

Nah man, at the show i thought Neal Morse was the most energetic next to portnoy. Casey did kinda seem out of place, and his vocals weren't the strongest. but that's because I'm not used to that kind of show environment i guess? idk it looked like Larue and Morse were having a blast aswell. Casey just kinda sat there tho. he didnt seem to be all into it.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1345 on: September 08, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
How many people were there?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1346 on: September 08, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »
I'd say it was pretty close to full. Hard to tell becuase the venue is pretty spacious with some corridors. (First time I was there, Great place to see a show.)

It was great meeting everyone again and in some cases for the first time. It was a blast.

It felt great to hear some dynamic range on the Flying Colors tunes.   I'm glad Dave LaRue was unleashed. It was so sweet to hear the songs as they were meant to be heard. It's going to be hard going back to the album now.

A live album/DVD package would be great.

So would some 2013 shows.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1347 on: September 08, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
I'd say it was pretty close to full. Hard to tell becuase the venue is pretty spacious with some corridors. (First time I was there, Great place to see a show.)

Nah... definitely wasn't full.  Two of the three seating sections weren't even open, so it wasn't anywhere near capacity.  With full seating it holds 2,100.  But with the two sections closed, I would say there were closer to maybe 1,000 - 1,200 people there.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1348 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IJybiW-KstM

Couple of observations:

1) Cool thing they did the DT tune. Really, really cool. Also, I think that out of the AA suite Repentance is the song that will less likely get rotation in future DT tours, so it's good to see it live in one way or another.

2) With all due respect, how can there be people that argue that Portnoy sings better than LaBrie? I mean yeah, his lyrics and everything, but come on.

3) I'm all for cool new arrangements in music and stuff, but Steve Morse's solo wasn't the best thing ever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1349 on: September 08, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
This is just a hunch, and it's hard to tell with the distortion, but I think they're playing this in a different key. Probably E.

And yea, JP's solo is better. But it's hard to beat that awesome solo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1350 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
While this album isn't really my cup of tea, I got to hand it to Everything Changes; that's a quality tune right there.  :tup Hopefully in time, I can get the rest of the album to click too.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1351 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
IMO Portnoy should not have sang. It was still really cool to see them play it, but I feel Neal or someone should've sang. Not trying to be disrespectful but the vocals aren't the best :\ But he did a really good job singing "Fool In My Heart"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1352 on: September 08, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
This is just a hunch, and it's hard to tell with the distortion, but I think they're playing this in a different key. Probably E.

I think the original was in C# and this one is in C, down a semitone.

IMO Portnoy should not have sang. It was still really cool to see them play it, but I feel Neal or someone should've sang. Not trying to be disrespectful but the vocals aren't the best :\ But he did a really good job singing "Fool In My Heart"

Even though they have better vocalists in the band, I can see why that song is closer to MP and he wanted to sing it himself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1353 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »

I could've sworn that the original was in B.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: September 09, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

On second thought, the intro is in C#, the verses are in B, so I think we're both right. I think the majority of the song is in B though, so you're more correct. :P

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: September 09, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
2) With all due respect, how can there be people that argue that Portnoy sings better than LaBrie? I mean yeah, his lyrics and everything, but come on.

Kinda an "easier said than done" type of thing. I mean, if you like Portnoy's voice (which I don't) you can still easily see that he ONLY sang parts in DT which were completely in his comfort zone. Wasn't that why he'd sing in the first place? He'd hear a part of a song that was more suited to his voice than James' (allegedly), and he'd sing there. And he'd never try to sing any melody that wasn't outside his already pretty limited vocal range. 

Well, there's MP singing Repentance. It's not really in his vocal range, but there it is. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1356 on: September 09, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »

On second thought, the intro is in C#, the verses are in B, so I think we're both right. I think the majority of the song is in B though, so you're more correct. :P
Haha, OK. I can live with that :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1357 on: September 09, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Rumbo, I heard you yelled out at the top of your lungs, "Piss break" at the perfect moment. :lol
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

Kinda an "easier said than done" type of thing. I mean, if you like Portnoy's voice (which I don't) you can still easily see that he ONLY sang parts in DT which were completely in his comfort zone. Wasn't that why he'd sing in the first place? He'd hear a part of a song that was more suited to his voice than James' (allegedly), and he'd sing there. And he'd never try to sing any melody that wasn't outside his already pretty limited vocal range. 

I wish he did that live too.  Then we'd have a Schmedley Wilcox that wasn't ruined by his stupid falsetto.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
I just remembered: didn't Portnoy once say he has "perfect pitch" or something to that effect? I never really questioned it, because he always sounds right on the money with the live DVDs. But that performance was not what I'd expect "perfect pitch" to sound like.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1360 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »
He probably has relative pitch. At least he should, as a former music major. Perfect pitch, maybe, it's quite possible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1362 on: September 09, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

Strangely, I didn't hear that.

But I did look back briefly during the song (which for the record I enjoyed) and he was gone.

Definately a moment of levity right there.

Yeah, Zep Best Buy is quite the labyrinth. I found it hard to accuarate determine just how big the crowd was.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
I just remembered: didn't Portnoy once say he has "perfect pitch" or something to that effect? I never really questioned it, because he always sounds right on the money with the live DVDs. But that performance was not what I'd expect "perfect pitch" to sound like.

Then I'm not sure perfect pitch means what you think it means. It's to do with the ear/brain, not the voice. You can have perfect pitch, and still sing completely pitchy.
And singing is usually more difficult when you're also playing an instrument, especially drums I would imagine. MP should be used to it with his backup vocals in DT, but lead vocals are probably a bit more demanding.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1364 on: September 10, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »

Then I'm not sure perfect pitch means what you think it means. It's to do with the ear/brain, not the voice. You can have perfect pitch, and still sing completely pitchy.
And singing is usually more difficult when you're also playing an instrument, especially drums I would imagine. MP should be used to it with his backup vocals in DT, but lead vocals are probably a bit more demanding.

I can tell you from experience that it is. It´s not so difficult to sing backup a couple of lines in a chorus or something, but to sing lead all the way through while playing drums? That´s quite a different kettle of fish!

Kudo´s all the same!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....