Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 389089 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #595 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »
Can someone tell me what the limited edition includes? If anything.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #596 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

AFAIK, the only releases include:
The Limited Edition CD (which is just limited in that it is a digi-pak, all pre-orders seem to state this)
The Double Vinyl Edition
Both above come with free posters, from most pre-order sites (through the band/label)
And if you order from the band's webpage, you can order either of the above with a t-shirt

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #597 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
From their FB

It looks like people are really enjoying the music they've heard, and that's great! Some journalists have heard the album…if you're sharing about it, it probably makes sense to identify yourself as one.

If you're someone who managed to get the album…some other way…maybe don't share about it? It's not really fair to everyone else. We won't censor anything—just asking.

Glad you posted this since the band themselves asked not to talk about it. Makes us who want to wait, crush under pressure. Spoiler warnings would be cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #598 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
As the band themselves had said, I'm NOT saying you CAN'T talk about it.  But since the band have expressed their wishes, I am stating my preference that we honor that and that folks keep discussion on the down low until release date.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »

AFAIK, the only releases include:
The Limited Edition CD (which is just limited in that it is a digi-pak, all pre-orders seem to state this)
The Double Vinyl Edition
Both above come with free posters, from most pre-order sites (through the band/label)
And if you order from the band's webpage, you can order either of the above with a t-shirt

-Marc.

I preordered from Neal's site in the hopes of getting it signed by Neal and Mike but the server was so slow that I probably missed out on that despite logging in at the moment it went live. (Took 20 minutes to complete the order.)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »
When is this album going to be released? Because I already have good things to talk about it.

Offline Pieps

« Reply #601 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:49 AM »
When is this album going to be released? Because I already have good things to talk about it.

March 27th :)

By the way, Flying Colors started a series of contests now. Somebody won a Skype lesson with Dave yesterday. Check their Facebook page to stay up-to-date.
Also, somebody here in this thread wanted to ask Steve a few things. I suggest posting the questions on his Facebook page (facebook.com/stevemorseguitar), because Steve answers a batch of questions there regularly.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #602 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:04 AM »
Too bad that there's no extra material, no demo's, no making of, nothing. I'd be happy to pay an extra 20 bucks for a limited edition like NM's Testimony 2.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #603 on: February 21, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »
I'm hoping Mike releases a Drum-Cam studio video of this recording! Might be the closest thing we get to a Making Of DVD for awhile, although the band's Facebook page say they DID recording footage in the studio so a DVD later on might be possible.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #604 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
Well, let's not forget that Neal Morse was involved in recording this album.  Of course there is recording footage.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #605 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »
I'm hoping Mike releases a Drum-Cam studio video of this recording! Might be the closest thing we get to a Making Of DVD for awhile, although the band's Facebook page say they DID recording footage in the studio so a DVD later on might be possible.

-Marc.
I would say chances of this happening are pretty good.  ;)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #606 on: February 21, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »

-Marc.
I would say chances of this happening are pretty good.  ;)

Haha, how I love insiders!  :tup

Oh and Bosk, silly of me, of course there'll be a making of. We'll just have to wait another 5 years for it, as with V, Snow and One, haha.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #607 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »
Oh hey, this shit is good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #608 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #609 on: February 25, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »
Listening to this for the second time and I think it has potential to be a grower. So far it's very cool, a lot of catchy bits in there, I especially dig The Beatles influences.

And, oh my God, Kayla!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #610 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
Yeah this is really good.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #611 on: February 25, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
I think my favorite song from this album is now Everything Changes. Fantastic melodies, and I love the ending.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
This album keeps getting better with each listen. Though "All Falls Down", IMO, feels so out of place with the flow of the album. I think it's a good song, but it could have been excluded.

Offline j

« Reply #613 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
This is good, y'all.

-J

Offline unklejman

« Reply #614 on: March 02, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Cool Q&A with Steve Morse:
https://flyingcolorsmusic.com/steve-answers-part-i/#more-424

Daniel Veloso
Steve, are there any young guitar players who you particularly like? I mean we all know what your influences are but is there any new name that has caught your attention lately?

I’m not sure how young any of them are, but have recently enjoyed more visibility: Alexi Laiho, Guthrie Govan, Gus G, Corey from Jason and Massive Attraction (we just had them open up for us), and about a million others that are so good that I don’t have their names readily at hand. The list of guys that I know have been around for a long time and are great, is huge, too!

Jon Wynn
Hi Steve, who are some of your favourite bands at the minute?

I like the depth of Dream Theater, the pure musical joy of The Chieftans, anything done in Nashville that has guitar, banjo, or pedal steel, like Brad Paisley, and the Tallis Scholars for vocal perfection…many more, just like the last list, first ones I thought of.

Cody McKenna
Steve, you’re the man. Question: Out of all the amazing guitarists who have listed you as an influence, which means the most to you and why?

When I found out that John Petrucci and Joe Bonamassa had said nice things about me, I was blown away, since they are right up in the center of the music business radar and are incredible talents. One time in an interview, I specifically mentioned one of my instructors, Stan Samole; he later told me thanks, and that nobody really ever does that, which stuck with me. It’s quite special for people who have the world’s respect to mention my name, so I’m very impressed with those. Vinnie Moore is another…

Jan Hoffmann
Hey Steve, my idol, I would like to know how you build up your solos, which scales do you use and how you are using chromatic notes in the scales. I know, 3 questions at once, but I’m really, really impressed by your playing. You play like no other one out there

I do a lot of instrumental music, where I’m playing a planned out melody, so the solos must be spontaneous. Still, I wait until I have a decent try before I save it and start repairing any really bad moments. I try not to overdo the perfecting it, so that it does indeed sound like it was as spontaneous as it was…just without the few mistakes that I tend to make while aiming for something that I just thought of!
I use, most often, a mixolydian scale, plus a flat 5, and a minor 3rd as leading tones to the adjacent notes that are in that scale. For a minor piece, I often switch between natural minor and harmonic minor, and use harmonic minor most when the dominant (5) chord is major, of course.

Kalen Meyer
When you solo, do you just improvise most of your stuff or do you sit down and write out the solo on staff based on the chords/what’s happening under the solo?’

Like the answer above, it has to be a spontaneous solo, or it isn’t a solo! I mean, I improvise, but I’m not above fixing a basically good take in order to fix the notes that didn’t come out as well as I intended at the moment.

Finn Ruschke
Hi Steve, my favourite guitarist in every way! I would so much like to know how you played this incredible solo in “The Bash” on California Sceamin’! Which scales are you using? Was it all improvisation or did you have a plan?

It’s improvisation, but the very end lick is almost the same every time, to cue the band that I’m ending. I use the same scale I mentioned above, mixolydian plus an extra flat 5, and minor 3rd as passing notes.

Dave Eichenberger
Hello Steve – can you give me an idea in milliseconds how long your normal “long delay” is? How many repeats do you have it set for?

Roughly 420 ms. and the repeat is about 3, degrading each time. On the TC Flashback delay, if you download my “Toneprint”, and set the delay and feedback near 12 o’clock, it is the exact delay that I use on everything, and is the pedal that I use, also.

Christopher Eklund
Hi Steve! I wonder how long it takes for you to warm up to be at your best? Because I’ve noticed since I got serious with my alternate picking, it takes like 1-2 hours of playing stringskipping licks and arpeggios with alternate picking for me to be really warmed up. That is what I’ve noticed since I started to practice alternate picking, it requires a lot of upkeep, more than the “regular” way of playing, so to speak.

Great question…as I’m only 20 years old, I don’t need to warm up…OK, seriously, it takes some doing, for the reasons you are noticing. The timing, accuracy of string skips, all require practice. I can be at my best of any particular day within 45 minutes of steady playing, but usually there are interruptions, so it takes longer. However, to be at my best, it takes me at least twice that to get a basic practice session in that is only technical. And music should be more than just technical, so it takes hours to progress at a good clip. That’s why I recommend full time playing only for those that really love it, since it’s a lifelong commitment to keep in shape.
You are correct that alternate picking is labor intensive, but it is also very easy to jump to any style, too, since the lines aren’t dependent on guitaristic fingerings.

Noah Berryman
Steve, do you still own or play any of your old Ampeg heads that you used in the 70′s and 80′s? I was watching the Dixie Dregs Live at Montreux 1978 DVD and you had such a unique tone on it (not that your current tone is lacking!).

Yes, still own a few. I need to learn more about testing audio circuits, or how to accurately test components while ‘in circuit’, since every old piece of equipment I have needs new electrolytic capacitors, power supplies, or corrosion control!

Eric Porter
Steve – Will there be another Dregs tour/album?

I’m sure there will. Rod, Jerry, Dave and I want to play more, and we have heard rumors that we might be able to talk Jordan into coming to sit in with us again.

Duds Rocha
Hey Steve, what is your favorite Flying Colors song?

“Infinite Fire” was the first thing I wrote with Neal, so I love that, but “Better than Walking Away”, “Kayla”, “All Falls Down”, shoot, I love all of the songs on the album. They are some of the most constructively creative people I have ever worked with.

Randy Hedrick
Hey Steve, are you still a fan of Oreos and milk?

Actually, who doesn’t like them? I can’t indulge as much, it’s almost as if I’m getting older!

Ben Agata
Steve, I know that you were a commercial pilot way back in the day, do you still fly? Ever talk shop with Bruce Dickinson?

Sure have, and he was very cordial, and opened right up. Because of Deep Purple, I have met lots of folks with British accents. I was amazed to find that Bruce had a Cessna 421 that he flew the band around in, before he started flying as a heavy jet pilot for a charter company. It sounds like he is one of those people that can do, and handle, any kind of challenge and have fun doing it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #615 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
Steve seems like a cool guy, I've never really followed his career. I'm glad he likes Dream Theater, and it's nice to see Bruce Dickinson and John Petrucci being mentioned.

The album is growing on me quite a bit, although the only two songs that completely blew me away are Kayla and Love is what I'm waiting for. Infinite fire is also pretty awesome. The rest of the album is good, every song is catchy in its own way, but I'm not that crazy about them. The chemistry seems to work overall, and if the guys ever decide to record another album, it's gonna be even better, that's for sure.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #616 on: March 02, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
Cool Q&A with Steve Morse:
https://flyingcolorsmusic.com/steve-answers-part-i/#more-424

Jon Wynn
Hi Steve, who are some of your favourite bands at the minute?

I like the depth of Dream Theater, the pure musical joy of The Chieftans, anything done in Nashville that has guitar, banjo, or pedal steel, like Brad Paisley, and the Tallis Scholars for vocal perfection…many more, just like the last list, first ones I thought of.

Nice to see he answered me. Cheers Steve.  Cool that he likes DT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »

Eric Porter
Steve – Will there be another Dregs tour/album?

I’m sure there will. Rod, Jerry, Dave and I want to play more, and we have heard rumors that we might be able to talk Jordan into coming to sit in with us again.
:eek :coolio :hat :tup :millahhhh
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #618 on: March 03, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
So the chorus to Forever In A Daze is just about the best thing that's happened to my ears in a while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
The Storm, Kayla, and Blue Ocean are probably my favorites so far. Overall it seems like they loaded the first half with all the good songs though.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
The Storm, Kayla, and Blue Ocean are probably my favorites so far. Overall it seems like they loaded the first half with all the good songs though.

I think that could just be our perception of albums, sometimes. I think if I had heard "Everything Changes" and "Better Than Walking Away" earlier in the track list, I may like them more. It's easy to be blown away by what you hear first and then compare that to what comes after.

I adore those two above tracks and "Infinite Fire" and they're in the second half of the album. I don't really enjoy "Shoulda Coulda Woulda" as much as the tracks before and after it, while "All Falls Down" has begun to grown on me.

It's a great mix of songs, and they could all do so well anywhere in the track list. I could probably listen to the album on shuffle and be okay with it because the songs range from 3/5 to 5/5.

-Marc.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
I still don't get why people don't like Fool in My Heart. I actually kind of like it.

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
Love it with the exception of the two "metal" tracks. They don't work in my opinion. Love the rest.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2012, 01:35:21 AM »
I still don't get why people don't like Fool in My Heart. I actually kind of like it.
It's not bad. Probably MP's best vocal attempt, ever.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »

Which still isn't saying much  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #625 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »
I don't like All Falls Down.  Weak point of the album, by far.

Better Than Walking Away is amazing.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #626 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
I agree, All Falls Down is a bit weak. Loving the rest of it. Reminds me of a well planned Rabin-era Yes album. Lots of good pop hooks, interesting guitar tones, splashes of keyboards in just the right spots, varied vocals between several good singers (including Mike!). Best thing by far that MP's done since Bridge Across Forever. Hope they'll tour and do it again. Sad that most of Mike's eggs are in the AM basket instead of this - this actually has a chance of hitting Top 40 radio.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #627 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »

I really enjoy it. Nice vocals from Mike and Neal leave room for Casey to come in for that little bridge, and I *love* the tone (and the playing) on Steve's solo that comes right afterwards
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »
That's one fine song as well. I think it was a good idea to let Mike sing it, he did a great job. Casey, on the other hand, didn't really fit in that song, he sounds a little bit out there when his bridge kicks in. They obviously didn't have his voice in mind when they made that song.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

This.