Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385453 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #3080 on: September 23, 2020, 03:16:12 PM »
I don't like the "Muse" songs (that's what I call them).

I like the first two, but More... nope.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3081 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
The highs of that first album are SO high:  Kayla, The Storm, Everything Changes, Better Than Walking Away (that song makes me cry to this day; I LOVE that song).   

The lows:  Shoulda Coulda Woulda, All Falls Down are pretty low.  I don't like the "Muse" songs (that's what I call them).   Forever In A Daze and Love Is What I'm Waiting For are okay, but not at the level of the four above. 

Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire are very good, but I think they get undue focus just because of their length.

I agree with the highs. I actually dig Shoulda Coulda Woulda and All Falls Down but they're a bit more....stock I guess, as Metallica would say. And I love Muse, so the Muse songs don't bug me.

I really like Forever in a Daze, but Love is what blah blah is a bit bland.

I agree about Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire. I think they are a double edged sword. They're good songs, and in my opinion did a good job walking the line between the band's pop sensibilities and the typical transatlantic prog stuff. But the band, I guess, maybe saw their popularity as an excuse to go full Neal Morse prog stuff on future albums, which most fans were not wanting. Essentially, it was a good hat trick and the band couldn't duplicate and maybe learned the wrong lessons from.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3082 on: September 23, 2020, 08:35:13 PM »
I love me some Forever in a Daze
Photobucket sucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3083 on: September 24, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
I love me some Forever in a Daze
Same.  That song brings the funk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3084 on: September 24, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
It absolutely does. That song is an example of Flying Colors nailing it from the get-go and represents what I like about them. The live version from the first tour is also tremendous, the chorus works even better when it's half step down.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3085 on: October 03, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

Holy crap!  Finally cracked the artbook open a few days ago. Can't get past the Morsefest performance. Watched the studio videos first (Other than More a few times pre-release I had not seen them. They were pretty cool. Not something I'd go back to a lot but I'm happy to have them. Next thing was the Morsefest clips because I didn't have a lot of time to watch and wanted to head to bed and that set featured a lot on my favorite tracks and though it would keep me happy until I dug into the rest of it.

I was not prepared for how awesome this was. I knew it would be great, but I had NO idea it could be this good. I don't know if this will beat the main concert, but right now I don't how it can. I've watched that portion 3 times each night for the last three nights.  This is off the charts. Steve Morse and Dave LaRue are leaving nobody left alive. Can't imagine what it was like to be there.

Very hesitant to move on, but I know I have to at some point. Just want to savor it for as long as it lasts.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3086 on: October 03, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
That Morsefest set was so good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3087 on: October 04, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
I spun Third Degree again the other night around its 1st anniversary. This was one of the big parts of the soundtrack to my winter of 19/20, so the songs brought back memories. Again, Love Letter is such a fun song! It's impossible for me to not smile when it's on. Probably my favourite FC song now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3088 on: October 11, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »

You're not kidding. This package has totally disrupted any listening plans I may have had.    The new Fish, Neal Morse (and the Covers Box) and the Scottish Rush Tribute CD are sitting here unopened until they can be given the proper time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3089 on: October 17, 2020, 02:20:06 PM »

You're not kidding. This package has totally disrupted any listening plans I may have had.    The new Fish, Neal Morse (and the Covers Box) and the Scottish Rush Tribute CD are sitting here unopened until they can be given the proper time.

This one is still kicking my ass - primarily the Morsefest set but the proper show still has my attention too. Broke away for the Scottish Rush Tribute CD for two listens (Good stuff.) but went back to Flying Colors. This live album is ruling my life right now. How is this one that much better than the previous two live albums? I guess it's the set.....

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: October 19, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
Hey Fritzinger I finally published your review: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/flying-colors-third-stage-live-in-london-review-by-friedrich-stenzenl

Sorry it took me this long to do it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3091 on: February 25, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »

Holy crap!  Finally cracked the artbook open a few days ago. Can't get past the Morsefest performance. Watched the studio videos first (Other than More a few times pre-release I had not seen them. They were pretty cool. Not something I'd go back to a lot but I'm happy to have them. Next thing was the Morsefest clips because I didn't have a lot of time to watch and wanted to head to bed and that set featured a lot on my favorite tracks and though it would keep me happy until I dug into the rest of it.

I was not prepared for how awesome this was. I knew it would be great, but I had NO idea it could be this good. I don't know if this will beat the main concert, but right now I don't how it can. I've watched that portion 3 times each night for the last three nights.  This is off the charts. Steve Morse and Dave LaRue are leaving nobody left alive. Can't imagine what it was like to be there.

Very hesitant to move on, but I know I have to at some point. Just want to savor it for as long as it lasts.

I finally watched it last night...pretty great.  The London crowd was lame for much of the show, but they finally got a little energy later in the show and made some noise.  Casey going out into the crowd during the last section of Cosmic Symphony was so good.  Love moments like that. Itching now for a fourth album by these guys!  :hat :hat

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:12 AM »
ALPHA REV to Perform a Two-Hour Online Show to Launch “To Cure A Rose” Foundation

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/alpha-rev-to-perform-a-two-hour-online-show-to-launch-to-cure-a-rose-foundation/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3093 on: February 27, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »
ALPHA REV to Perform a Two-Hour Online Show to Launch “To Cure A Rose” Foundation

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/alpha-rev-to-perform-a-two-hour-online-show-to-launch-to-cure-a-rose-foundation/

My older brother, who is a major Casey fanboy at this point :lol, mentioned this the other day. Very cool.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3094 on: February 28, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »

I finally watched it last night...pretty great.  The London crowd was lame for much of the show, but they finally got a little energy later in the show and made some noise.  Casey going out into the crowd during the last section of Cosmic Symphony was so good.  Love moments like that. Itching now for a fourth album by these guys!  :hat :hat

Still really enjoying this. I'm good without a Flying Colors for a while (since there won't be a live album for who knows how long) I'm still trying to get through Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment (when it shows up) etc....

I don't know if this live album will ever be topped, but I'd love to see them try it one day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3095 on: February 28, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »

Still really enjoying this. I'm good without a Flying Colors for a while (since there won't be a live album for who knows how long) I'm still trying to get through Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment (when it shows up) etc....

I don't know if this live album will ever be topped, but I'd love to see them try it one day.

Assuming they do a 4th album and tour at some point, I sure hope they play the songs from Third Degree that didn't get played last time, especially Guardian and Last Train Home, and I'd love to see some of the songs from the first album find their way back. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3096 on: February 28, 2021, 05:23:32 PM »

Assuming they do a 4th album and tour at some point, I sure hope they play the songs from Third Degree that didn't get played last time, especially Guardian and Last Train Home, and I'd love to see some of the songs from the first album find their way back.

They will have a lot of options.
Difficult to top the last set list but adding those two songs would do it. It would almost be perfect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3097 on: February 28, 2021, 05:27:16 PM »

They will have a lot of options.
Difficult to top the last set list but adding those two songs would do it. It would almost be perfect.

Very true.  I don't think Mask Machine works well as an encore (put that one early in the set where it belongs and make Kayla, which is a major fan favorite, as the last encore), but the set list was otherwise pretty great.  On paper it looked weird to have all of the longer songs one after another, but it worked pretty well when watching the show.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3098 on: April 14, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Listening to Flying Colors right now. If Casey was the only one that did vocals, they would be one of my favorite bands.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3099 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:31 AM »
Listening to Flying Colors right now. If Casey was the only one that did vocals, they would be one of my favorite bands.

I think for me if they had a different singer altogether (like Ted Leonard as Neal initially proposed) I'd like them more. I like Casey, I just don't LOVE his voice.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3100 on: April 14, 2021, 09:38:23 AM »
I'm glad they didn't go with Ted Leonard.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3101 on: April 14, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
I can’t help but feel Neal’s vocals bring down the music. I don’t know why but when I used to listen to them I didn’t mind ‘em. Now I find it hard to listen to.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3102 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:59 AM »

I agree it was probably best to stay away from the more typical prog type vocalist, though I think Ted has the voice for pop too. I just prefer his voice to Casey's quite a bit. Mostly I just find Casey's voice a little annoying at times (same way I don't care for the Coldplay guy).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3103 on: April 14, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
This is the only project that involves Neal Morse where I like each successive album a little bit less than the previous one. 

The only one I ever go back to is the debut. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3104 on: April 14, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »

Same here. I like Ted's voice, but I can't say I love it.  Casey's voice is a big part of the Flying Colors magic, IMO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3105 on: April 14, 2021, 06:52:37 PM »

Same here. I like Ted's voice, but I can't say I love it.  Casey's voice is a big part of the Flying Colors magic, IMO.

The Storm, showcases this for me. From the intro with Caseys vocals behind that piano, drum, and bass line, that is a very pop beat and rhythm. The entire song, I would say defines Flying Colors for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3106 on: April 15, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »

Same. The first was really good, the second one was kind-of alright and the third one was boring.

For me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3107 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:53 AM »
The Storm, showcases this for me. From the intro with Caseys vocals behind that piano, drum, and bass line, that is a very pop beat and rhythm. The entire song, I would say defines Flying Colors for me.

I totally agree. I wish they would make more of those songs, instead of Transatlantic-light 12 minute mini epics. Another song like The Storm that comes to mind is Lost Without You. I have said this before, but this is one of the band's best songs ever. This is exactly the kind of songs I want to hear from Flying Colors.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3108 on: April 15, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »

Same. The first was really good, the second one was kind-of alright and the third one was boring.

For me.

Kinda in the same boat, but I do go back to Second Nature as well (I thought it was ALMOST as good as the debut).  The last one was as bland as a popcorn fart.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #3109 on: April 15, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
I don’t really spin any of these albums all the way through. My favorite FC song and one I will still listen to frequently is A Place In Your World, but the Storm, Kayla, and Lost Without You are also favorites from the poppy side. In that vein, Love Letter is the highlight on Third Degree. I do like some of the proggier stuff like Blue Ocean, Infinite Fire, Peaceful Harbor, and Cosmic Symphony. The one proggier song that has kind stuck with me from Third Degree is Crawl.

Each of the first two albums has a few songs I don’t care for, but the first one is still the most complete. The only two songs I really don’t like on that are the heavy/Muse ones.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3110 on: April 15, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »

One of Mike Portnoy's finest hours; when he plays that fast bit during the first part of the chorus - "The storm...We will dance as it breaks
The storm...It will give as it takes" - then goes into half-time (i guess, I'm not a drummer) for the "And all of our pain is washed away" part I think is just musical perfection.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3111 on: April 15, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
I bought the debut to support Mike. The thing with any band is, if you don't really like the vocalist, it's kind of pointless. He has a very distinctive voice which works great for some and not for others. I just can't get into him. Bottom line.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3112 on: May 08, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
Had the debut album in the car last week. Been ages since I listened to it as I always go for a live album  or more specifically the most recent live album. I forgot about many of those incidental studio sounds that weren't replicated live. Still like the album but they seem to be in a totally different place now.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3113 on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:07 PM »
I got my Morsefest 2018 package in the mail today, and the Flying Colors portion sounds really good. The blu-ray looks great as well. I listened to Cosmic Symphony all the way through, and what a phenomenal performance. Casey is so talented vocally - powerful and fragile and just dripping with emotion.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying this release so far.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #3114 on: September 17, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »
Agreed. I never really got into them when the first album came out. But I've really enjoyed the Morsefest 19 performance. Not sure what about it that has finally sunk in with me, but glad that it has.