Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385876 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #3045 on: July 25, 2020, 04:10:24 PM »
I was initially underwhelmed with Third Degree but it really grew on me after several listens.  So much so that I now consider it their best work!  I like it even better than their debut - it's close though.  In my opinion Second Nature is their weakest work - but curiously it contains my two favorite Flying Colors tracks (Peaceful Harbor & Cosmic Symphony)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3046 on: July 29, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
Rod Morgenstein is the smiliest person I’ve ever seen when he’s playing. His drum solo on that night was one of the coolest things musically that I’ve witnessed in person.

Still remember a few of those shows they did while opening for Dream Theater. Morgenstein sure was smiling a lot.  Jordan too as I recall.  Probably should say this was Rudess-Morgenstein and not the Dregs who I also saw open for Dream Theater, but I seem to remember less about those gigs possibly because of the intense focus on hearing Scenes From a Memory for the first two or three times.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3047 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
Anybody got the new live blu-ray yet?  I got my signed copy in the mail last week.

I'm about halfway through.  Pretty good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3048 on: September 10, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Anybody got the new live blu-ray yet?  I got my signed copy in the mail last week.

is there anything that's different to their other two live albums? (and yes, I know there is the new material on this new one of course)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3049 on: September 10, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
Nope. Boring me to tears. Switching off.

I tried to get into this album too but it just doesn't do anything for me.  I might try coming back to it at some point in the future.

Online HOF

« Reply #3050 on: September 10, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »
I haven’t felt compelled to listen to Third Degree at all since I got it back when it was released. But I did enjoy Crawl when it popped up on shuffle the other day.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3051 on: September 10, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

is there anything that's different to their other two live albums? (and yes, I know there is the new material on this new one of course)
Well, it's the same people doing the same thing. 

Other than the new material, I'm not sure what else would be different.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3052 on: September 11, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »

Have you heard the "Storytellers" version of Mask Machine from Morsefest 2016? I love that version and it's pretty different than the normal version. It'd be cool if Flying Colors did something like that.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3053 on: September 11, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »

Have you heard the "Storytellers" version of Mask Machine from Morsefest 2016? I love that version and it's pretty different than the normal version. It'd be cool if Flying Colors did something like that.
I haven't heard it, but I also don't really like that song very much.

Although I may like some different rendition, I suppose.

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3054 on: September 11, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »
Here's an audience recording of it if you're interested. Mask Machine is at 1:13:30.

https://youtu.be/bzXbW8eH00w
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #3055 on: September 11, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
I listened to this album, and as much as I like the music, the singer spoils it for me - I can't listen to him. He doesn't have the same level musically as the others IMO, he would suit better in a band like Oasis...
And what is it I don't like? His voice is hoarse in an artificial way, I use to call it pop-hoarse. I have their first album, and it's collecting dust on the shelf...sorry to say.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3056 on: September 11, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »
Well I have to disagree.  I see so many fans who hate singers that use falsetto like it's a taboo technique.  His voice is a breath of fresh air of the same old same in this genre.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #3057 on: September 11, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
Well I have to disagree.  I see so many fans who hate singers that use falsetto like it's a taboo technique.  His voice is a breath of fresh air of the same old same in this genre.
It's all opinions. I remember when the first album came out, I was initially interested, even though others in here didn't like the singer. I thought they must be wrong in their heads and bought the album. And I liked the music for some time, until his singing started to annoy me, then it was all over for me to listen to this band. I still gave the new one a chance though - but no. Luckily I have a streaming opportunity, so nowadays I only buy when I'm sure about the music. I have tons of CDs I don't like, and it must stop...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3058 on: September 11, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »
Last couple of days I decided to give the Flying Colors albums another spin.  What I came away with was kind of unexpected but I've seen it before.

I like each of this band's successive releases a little bit less than the previous one.

I rank them in the order in which they were released - the debut is still their best album, the middle one is the next best and the most recent one is the one I like the least.  It's really not related to the vocals at all.  In fact, it's the vocals and the vocal melodies that I thought were this band's strength, and they still are, but there's just something about these songs, especially on this most recent release, that makes me have very little interest in listening to them again. 

To me it's almost like a really great prog band trying to be commercial or a really great commercial band trying to be proggy, but they're both pushing against their better instincts and I think where in most cases that kind of tension would spark something great, here it only seems to result in a rather musically schizophrenic offering, veering in and out of the two genres but never really pulling off either in a great or remarkable or memorable enough way to compel me to keep listening.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3059 on: September 11, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Last couple of days I decided to give the Flying Colors albums another spin.  What I came away with was kind of unexpected but I've seen it before.

I like each of this band's successive releases a little bit less than the previous one.

I rank them in the order in which they were released - the debut is still their best album, the middle one is the next best and the most recent one is the one I like the least.  It's really not related to the vocals at all.  In fact, it's the vocals and the vocal melodies that I thought were this band's strength, and they still are, but there's just something about these songs, especially on this most recent release, that makes me have very little interest in listening to them again. 

To me it's almost like a really great prog band trying to be commercial or a really great commercial band trying to be proggy, but they're both pushing against their better instincts and I think where in most cases that kind of tension would spark something great, here it only seems to result in a rather musically schizophrenic offering, veering in and out of the two genres but never really pulling off either in a great or remarkable or memorable enough way to compel me to keep listening.

The debut was a great album that offered something new for NM/MP fans. I think they just tried too hard on Second Nature (and probably Third Degree which I still haven't heard) to appeal to the prog audiences since most FC fans probably came from Neal and Mike. To me, this ultimately makes the band completely useless as it's too much in the vein of TA/NMB.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3060 on: September 14, 2020, 09:45:05 AM »

Oh boy, how immense is the number of bands for which this statement applies, in all kind of genres?

BTW I agree that the biggest draw of Flying Colors was seeing super skilled musicians try their hand at "pop" and easy songs, having some substance and great musicianship to sustain catchy and short songs. The drift over more proggish territories and the long songs left me kinda meh. Love the debut and I would still spin it right now, kinda like the second album, forgot that the third album is even a thing, one day I'll give it another chance.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3061 on: September 14, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
I've been listening to a TON of FC albums this past week or so, and have really been digging Third Degree even more than ever. I think I like it just a bit more than Second Nature, over-all, and as individual songs, there are some killer tracks on there. I feel like Third Degree has a bit more of the spirit of the first album than Second Nature did.

I'm super hyped for the new live album set, and I can't wait for my pre-ordered Earbook to come in! I'm excited to see/hear all of the Third Degree songs played live!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3062 on: September 14, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »
I was lukewarm to Third Degree at first but now I think it's better than Second Nature. But the first is still the best imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3063 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
I interviewed Steve Morse, and we spoke about Flying Colors for a bit. Here's the link: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-morse-steve/

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: September 16, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »

Oh boy, how immense is the number of bands for which this statement applies, in all kind of genres?

BTW I agree that the biggest draw of Flying Colors was seeing super skilled musicians try their hand at "pop" and easy songs, having some substance and great musicianship to sustain catchy and short songs. The drift over more proggish territories and the long songs left me kinda meh. Love the debut and I would still spin it right now, kinda like the second album, forgot that the third album is even a thing, one day I'll give it another chance.

Boston is another great example of a band that totally blew their wad on their debut.  "Don't Look Back" was pretty great too, but it wasn't as good as the s/t debut and it went downhill from there

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3065 on: September 20, 2020, 04:51:01 AM »
My Limited light blue vinyl of Second Nature just arrived.

I'm not the biggest FC "fan", but I definitely enjoy their music. I didn't hear SN as often as the debut when it came out. But now that I revisit it, I gotta say, it's a strong album. Their biggest strength is definitely the chemistry between the musicians in my opinion.

My favourites are Cosmic Symphony and Lost Without You. The first is a 12 minute track that finally doesn't completely sound like a Neal Morse composition. Very welcome change. And Steve Morse's guitar solo? WOW.
And Lost Without You is this album's The Storm. In my opinion, this is one of their most under appreciated songs. Personally, I even think it's the album's best "song". Can't get enough of those harmony vocals during the chorus.

I already have the first pressing of their debut but while listening to Second Nature I ordered the new blue pressing for 20 bucks, so I have all their albums in blue. Just my slight OCD kicking in haha...
any rock can be made to roll

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: September 23, 2020, 12:15:02 AM »
I had the same reaction as you two. Maybe it's time I gave it another go, too :biggrin:

Gave it another go.

Nothing's changed. I found it utterly soporific, disappointingly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3067 on: September 23, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »
Ho-hum. Maybe "Fourth Amendment" will blow our socks off.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3068 on: September 23, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »

For sure it won't be called "Fourth Wall", even though it's a common expression and a logical title, MP will never allow the risk of "lol they copied DT's live album" comments to be made  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3069 on: September 23, 2020, 09:09:40 AM »

For sure it won't be called "Fourth Wall", even though it's a common expression and a logical title, MP will never allow the risk of "lol they copied DT's live album" comments to be made  :D

Maybe it'll be called "Four On The Floor" and the album will all be in 4/4?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #3070 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Let’s just hope they steer clear of calling it “Four Play.”

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3071 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »
How about Fourskin?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3072 on: September 23, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
Four Score...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3073 on: September 23, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
The Shattered Fourtress.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3074 on: September 23, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
I'm a bit surprised that so many seem not pleased with the third album.  It took me one or two listens to get into, but I think it's pretty good.  Definitely #3 out of 3 for me, but not bad in any way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3075 on: September 23, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
Third Degree is one of those albums I just can't seem to get into, or more, want to listen to it. I listened to a couple songs, but then nothing really stood out. There are good songs though from what I can remember. One of them is Geronimo.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3076 on: September 23, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
This might be the most controvertial opinion here, but I find the song stretch between Forever in a Daze - Better Than Walking Away from the debut album a bit boring. The first 4 songs are much much better than these 4. I don't care much about Fool in my Heart either.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3077 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »
 :lol at the name ideas.

Infinite Fire is my least enjoyed track on the debut.

Better Than Walking Away is a big favourite for me. Nice to hear a song about something so down to earth.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3078 on: September 23, 2020, 12:05:01 PM »
Infinite Fire is awesome and so is Better Than Walking Away. Fool In My Heart and All Fall Down are the lesser tracks on the debut imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3079 on: September 23, 2020, 12:16:07 PM »
The highs of that first album are SO high:  Kayla, The Storm, Everything Changes, Better Than Walking Away (that song makes me cry to this day; I LOVE that song).   

The lows:  Shoulda Coulda Woulda, All Falls Down are pretty low.  I don't like the "Muse" songs (that's what I call them).   Forever In A Daze and Love Is What I'm Waiting For are okay, but not at the level of the four above. 

Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire are very good, but I think they get undue focus just because of their length.