Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385452 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2940 on: November 18, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
I like Cadence a lot, but I simply like five of the songs from the album more.  I have a feeling my order of the top 5 will not be the same in a few months.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2941 on: November 23, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
There all pretty evenly amazing for me although Crawl and Last Train Home appear to be rising above at this point.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2942 on: November 23, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
Crawl is something really special to me.  The rest of the album ranges from good to great, with Love Letter probably being my second favorite, but I am in love with Crawl.  I actually can't remember the last time a song hit me as hard as  this one has. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2943 on: November 24, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
I like Crawl, but to me it fell far short of expectations. I felt like it was going to be this album's Infinite Fire or Cosmic Symphony, but it just doesn't deliver the killer blow those tracks do.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2944 on: November 25, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Crawl may be my least favorite on the album. It seems like it's pasted together to make an epic. The chorus to me just doesn't fit in and then after Neal's obligatory "God" part it seems like an intrusion.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2945 on: November 28, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »
Neal's obligatory "God" part

Great phrase! See also Last Train Home.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2946 on: November 28, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
Silly question about the album names... after Second Nature and Third Degree, do you think they'll keep up with naming the album referencing its progressive number in the discography? the next album could be called Fourth Wall but I think DT's live release blacklisted forever that title for MP  :D

How could they go on for the fourth and fifth album?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2947 on: November 28, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
Silly question about the album names... after Second Nature and Third Degree, do you think they'll keep up with naming the album referencing its progressive number in the discography? the next album could be called Fourth Wall but I think DT's live release blacklisted forever that title for MP  :D

How could they go on for the fourth and fifth album?

If Fourth Wall is out of the question, how about Perfect Fourth? It's a bit presumptuous, but it's also a term used in music theory.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2948 on: November 28, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
Considering we had Six Degrees, Train of Thought and Octavarium, I'd say Mike likes to match album titles with their number in the catalog :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2949 on: November 28, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »
It'll be "FOUR Those About to Rock (We Salute You)". My source is very reliable.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2950 on: November 28, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
Fourskin
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2951 on: December 07, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
I like Crawl, but to me it fell far short of expectations. I felt like it was going to be this album's Infinite Fire or Cosmic Symphony, but it just doesn't deliver the killer blow those tracks do.

Of those I like Infinite Fire least. Those other songs are among my favorites on those albums and were highlights of this year's live show. Infinite Fire is likely my least favorite on that first album. Didn't really seem to fit.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2952 on: December 09, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
FC4 title: Go Fourth and Conquer

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2953 on: December 09, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
Fourclosed. Final album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
Fourth Kind.

Sci fi alien abduction concept album. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2955 on: January 08, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
Just to report a really nice Facebook post from the great bassist Bryan Beller about the band:

“FLYING COLORS: I’ve been sleeping on this band and I’m just waking up to how great their new(est) album “Third Degree” is. Setting aside the obvious fact that everyone in the band is a monster player, I’m blown away at the writing and arranging. Just in the first three songs along - “The Loss Inside”, “More” and “Cadence” - you can really feel the emotional lifts of each properly written and song-formed progressive rock piece, complete with super-satisfying mid-song odysseys, breakdowns, and delicious tag-final-choruses that drive the weight of the pieces home without overindulging. I felt like standing up and applauding!

Also, I never knew who Casey McPherson was before this, which just shows my utter caveman-like ignorance. Such an emotive voice, man alive. I’m a fan of the Jeff Buckley/Matt Bellamy world of male frontman singers, so having that touch of vulnerability in there really does it for me. And then, you know, Dave LaRue is a god, plus Steve Morse, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy…and still, it sounds complete, like a band, not a collection of players. I know, you’re probably thinking, “Yeah dude, uh, this band has been good for a while.” But I’m waking up to a lot of things now that I’m not buried in my own album production, which was all-consuming for me.

So in case you were sleeping on this album as well, check it out. It’s pretty freaking great. “
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2956 on: January 08, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
I didn't know who Bryan Beller was (had to google him), but he has 11+K followers on Twitter, and with any luck this kind of shout-out will get the band some new fans.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2957 on: January 08, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »
His last album, Scenes from the flood, is excellent. Instrumental rock with diversity and very well composed. Anyway I always think it’s great when a great musician admires a band that we’re fans and it’s not very much known.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2958 on: January 08, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »
Gotta say nothing's really stuck with me from this one since it came out aside from Guardian and Geronimo. Those are two cool songs. I'm just not feeling it with the rest. It's fine when it's being played but nothing more than that and I don't really want to revisit the record as a whole. Just two more to the 'main' playlist, as it is. Oh well.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2959 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:10 PM »
I didn't know who Bryan Beller was (had to google him), but he has 11+K followers on Twitter, and with any luck this kind of shout-out will get the band some new fans.

The guy's recorded and/or toured with Mike Keneally, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, The Aristocrats (Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann), Dethklok, James LaBrie (first 3 solo albums), among others. And he's a beast on bass :metal

His last album, Scenes from the flood, is excellent. Instrumental rock with diversity and very well composed.

Ditto. I can't recommend this album enough. Plus, it has a couple little know guests such as John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Gene Hoglan, Ray Hearne... ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2960 on: April 09, 2020, 05:53:40 PM »
I saw Mike post on FB (or Twitter, can't remember which, maybe both) that he's currently working on the third Flying Color live album, from their last tour. Does anyone know which show(s) they filmed? I'm curious since the second leg of the tour featured more new songs on it than the first leg did.

Either way, this looks to be another MP/Neal release-heavy year, with FC's third live album, TA5, and now some solo Neal Morse album (NOT the Neal Morse Band), with Mike and Randy on it, something that hasn't happened since Momentum.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2961 on: April 09, 2020, 06:12:41 PM »
I think they filmed the Tilburg show?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2962 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20:08 AM »
I saw Mike post on FB (or Twitter, can't remember which, maybe both) that he's currently working on the third Flying Color live album, from their last tour. Does anyone know which show(s) they filmed? I'm curious since the second leg of the tour featured more new songs on it than the first leg did.

Either way, this looks to be another MP/Neal release-heavy year, with FC's third live album, TA5, and now some solo Neal Morse album (NOT the Neal Morse Band), with Mike and Randy on it, something that hasn't happened since Momentum.

-Marc.

Its' the London show at Sheperds Bush Empire, same venue as the Whirld Tour release. Should be Great   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2963 on: April 10, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »

-Marc.

Its' the London show at Sheperds Bush Empire, same venue as the Whirld Tour release. Should be Great   ;D

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/flying-colors/2019/o2-shepherds-bush-empire-london-england-339bb4e9.html

This one? Looks like a great set, and it has all of the Third Degree songs they played on tour! Can't wait for this one!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2964 on: April 14, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Should be a good one. It was a great set.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2965 on: April 14, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
I guess it was London.

Why was I thinking Tilburg? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2966 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
I guess it was London.

Why was I thinking Tilburg? :lol

Because 90% of all prog live recordings are done at Tilburg. :neverusethis:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2967 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/flying-colors/2019/o2-shepherds-bush-empire-london-england-339bb4e9.html

This one? Looks like a great set, and it has all of the Third Degree songs they played on tour! Can't wait for this one!

I didn't keep up on their set lists, but that is awesome to see that Geronimo found its way into the sets at the last few shows.  The whole album is really good, but Geronimo and Love Letter have held up as my two favorites from Third Degree.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2968 on: April 17, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »

I didn't keep up on their set lists, but that is awesome to see that Geronimo found its way into the sets at the last few shows.  The whole album is really good, but Geronimo and Love Letter have held up as my two favorites from Third Degree.

The more from Third Degree the better....

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2969 on: April 23, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »

Flying Colors (Casey McPherson, Steve Morse, Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Dave LaRue) are pleased to announce the Flying Colors Backstage Summit, a 4-day online interactive music experience set to take place May 5th through May 8th.  The event will feature all 5 members of the band taking part in songwriting instructions and tips, Q&A sessions, and even a chance to submit your own music and have it critiqued by the band.

“In a world now where there’s a lot of anxiety and stress for things we can’t control - we need music more than ever!! But we have to think outside of the box of how we give, and get our musical creative experiences. I think this is going to be an incredibly fun way to do it.. both for us as a band and for our fans!” ~ Casey

The schedule is as follows:

Tuesday, May 5th - 1:00pm EST | 7:00pm CET - Casey McPherson
Wednesday, May 6th - 1:00pm EST | 7:00pm CET - Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse
Thursday, May 7th - 1:00pm EST | 7:00pm CET - Steve Morse and Dave LaRue
Friday, May 8th - 1:00pm EST | 7:00pm CET - Full band Songwriting Session Live!

For more information and to register visit
https://www.flyingcolorsbackstagesummit.com/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2970 on: April 23, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
That actually sounds pretty cool.  I might consider that.  I'm a sucker for the "song writing process", even if I do deep down think it's kind of like trying to draw a ghost.

I had a great question for Mike that popped into my head about a week ago, and now I can't remember what it was!   :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2971 on: April 23, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »
I expected insane prices but that is damn reasonable. Hell, I'd call it a steal.

Sadly those are my work hours or else I'd consider it for sure. If you can make that, I'd suggest it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #2972 on: April 23, 2020, 03:16:54 PM »
In the past 20 minutes or so, both Blue Ocean and A Place in Your World have come up on shuffle. That’s good stuff and the sweet spot for these guys.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2973 on: April 24, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Love to but the timing is going to work for me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2974 on: June 08, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »