Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386010 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2695 on: August 16, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
If that's wrong, I don't want to be right!  :)

That would explain your posts in P/R  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2696 on: August 17, 2019, 07:23:22 AM »
So "spot check" muse and decide you don't like them, yet you would probably listen to a known prog bands song 100 times until you liked it.

Go listen to the entirety of Absolution a couple of times and get back to me.

Not getting in the middle but I think about that theory . For a song or album I give multiple listens to it has time to click but other songs or albums I'll discard quickly. I wonder if I gave ALL music multiple listens if I'd appreciate more.

Offline Skeever

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel October 2019)
« Reply #2697 on: August 17, 2019, 07:27:24 AM »
That sounded very in the box to me, I hope the rest of the album is more interesting than the single.

First thought was Muse...surely I’m not the only one

The same was absolutely said about Mask Machine from the second album and Shoulda Woulda Coulda from the first. It's just the vocoder. Any time someone adds distortion to their voice it's automatically compared to Muse. Why? Why not just enjoy this song on its own merit? Why does it always have to be pointed out?

Because it sucks.   :)   

I love the first record, it's one of my favorites of the MP (post-DT) catalogue, but the closer it gets to Muse territory, the less I like it.  If this is a "Muse-inspired record", my excitement is tamed significantly. 

EDIT:  Listened to the single.  Not jazzed.  It's not the vocoder; it's the legato vocal lines (those verses might as well BE off a Muse record).  That's kind of my least favorite side of Flying Colors.   I'll give it a shot - I want to hear the "Beach Boys meets Asia" song - but I prefer the more poppy, song-oriented material.  Ah well, it's not about me.

For the love of God please go back to Gene Simmons ;D

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2698 on: August 17, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
So "spot check" muse and decide you don't like them, yet you would probably listen to a known prog bands song 100 times until you liked it.

Not getting in the middle but I think about that theory . For a song or album I give multiple listens to it has time to click but other songs or albums I'll discard quickly. I wonder if I gave ALL music multiple listens if I'd appreciate more.

I can tell you that this works with some music, but some it absolutely doesn't. My wife listens to some music that drives me more bonkers the more I hear it.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2699 on: August 17, 2019, 10:02:55 AM »

I can tell you that this works with some music, but some it absolutely doesn't. My wife listens to some music that drives me more bonkers the more I hear it.

For sure. Some it's the opposite for me hip hop or rap gets worse and some others. Some music I think just has one layer.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2700 on: August 17, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I guess I'm THAT guy.

So I stumbled on the email that had the More video last night and in a moment of weakness I decided to click on it.

Not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this.  I only watched it once and I'm trying to avoid anything else before it shows up in the mail.

I'm kind of glad that it doesn't sound too much like what came before.  Not knowing anything about it other than watching it once, I'm really looking forward to this.  Can't wait for the live gig. Hopefully they play most of the new album.

They really seem to be having a blast with this one.  Seems like it would be tough to top a lot of the songs on the first two albums, but I think they've moved the needle which really is getting me psyched.

I love that they just went for it in that video.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2701 on: August 18, 2019, 05:40:23 AM »
Finally got a chance to listen to More.

I am baffled at how this excellent group of musicians made a song this terrible. I was excited about FC3 too. Second Nature was definitely a step in the wrong direction with the overdone Open Up Your Eyes but it still had promising stuff like A Place In Your World, Cosmic Symphony (a long song done well unlike OUYE), and Peaceful Harbor. I was really hoping they'd scale back and go more towards the poppier sound of their debut but this is just bland trash. It took 5 years to create this? I disliked Mask Machine and still do so maybe this is the worst song on the album, but with the track lengths trending towards 7+ minutes, I'm not expecting the other songs to sound much different. The Muse-inspired vocal melody is heavily apparent too. Who is still ripping off Muse in 2019?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2702 on: August 18, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »
(Not me, I hasten to add. I am so looking forward to Taylor Swift's new album. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks!)

Well, if there is one thing I can safely say about the new Taylor Swift album it's that it'll probably be better than The Astonishing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2703 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
Bought the first album to support Mike in his early post DT days and because it also featured Neal Morse, who’s music I’m a huge fan of and Steve Morse who is an incredible guitar player. It had it's moments but ultimately I couldn’t bear the singer. The album went up about 6 notches every time Neal Norse sang anything although I get why Mike may not have wanted to be in another Neal fronted band. For that reason I gave album two a miss and, having listened to the new song, my opinion on the singer has not changed. I so wish they hadn’t gone with a singer I just can’t listen to as, him aside, it’s a stellar lineup. The song is very average though in my opinion, sounds like a totally uncool cringey, middle aged version of Muse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2704 on: August 18, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Swing and a miss on your part. Dude has a great voice and I enjoy different styles of singing.   Sounds to me you are close minded.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2705 on: August 18, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »
I'm a big fan of Casey's voice.  :tup :tup

I am still pretty optimistic that the new album will be good, and that More will end up being this album's Shoulda Coulda Woulda or Bombs Away (two songs I also find bland and rarely re-visit).

I'll be curious to see what songs from the first two albums they play at Morsefest in 12 days.  At the risk of being greedy, I hope we get Blue Ocean, Infinite Fire, The Storm, Love Is What I'm Waiting For, Peaceful Harbor and The Fury of My Love, among others. I'd love to get Better Than Walking Away, but I suspect that is a long shot.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2706 on: August 18, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
Swing and a miss on your part. Dude has a great voice and I enjoy different styles of singing.   Sounds to me you are close minded.

Sounds like he doesn't like Casey's voice. Not close minded. Maybe he wanted this to be more like Neil Morse's solo stuff, or Transatlantic. Maybe not.

It's all good. I still love Casey's voice and wish Neil sang even less.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: August 18, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »
Sure but we are on a prog metal board.  I see so many close minded when it comes to music 

I know you for one can at least appreciate that. I'm not putting down his opinion  but saying, be open. 

Maybe I worded it poorly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2708 on: August 18, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »
Sure but we are on a prog metal board.  I see so many close minded when it comes to music 

I know you for one can at least appreciate that. I'm not putting down his opinion  but saying, be open. 

Maybe I worded it poorly.

Oh I see close minded people all the time. But he just seemed like he didn't like Casey. That's cool. Plenty of "great" singers I don't like. It happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Agreed. I see many complain about Casey like he's kn a metal band.

Example  from the 1st album.  "I don't like falsetto."

So every time I read a complaint. I question it since that was the high % on the 1st album.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: August 18, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »
I just checked out More and it's another miss for me but I was never a big fan of FC. I will say I don't really care for Casey's singing in general but I do think he does a good job here even if it's doing his best Matt Bellamy impersonation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2711 on: August 18, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
I'm a big fan of Casey's voice.  :tup :tup

I am still pretty optimistic that the new album will be good, and that More will end up being this album's Shoulda Coulda Woulda or Bombs Away (two songs I also find bland and rarely re-visit).

I'll be curious to see what songs from the first two albums they play at Morsefest in 12 days.  At the risk of being greedy, I hope we get Blue Ocean, Infinite Fire, The Storm, Love Is What I'm Waiting For, Peaceful Harbor and The Fury of My Love, among others. I'd love to get Better Than Walking Away, but I suspect that is a long shot.

Along those lines, I wonder if they'll finally play "Lost Without You" since it was the only song from Second Nature that wasn't played live on their last tour.

With nine (ten?) new songs to play, I'd imagine they'll play at least 6 or 7 of them, which probably means about 6 or 7 songs from their first two albums. I think it's safe to say that we probably won't see either "Infinite Fire", "Open Up Your Eyes" or "Cosmic Symphony" since the older long-songs would take up a lot of set list realty. The return of "Blue Ocean" would be welcomed, and I think, from the first album, we'll probably see "Everything Changes", "The Storm" and "Kayla", with the last two being two of their more popular/more accessible songs from their debut. As for songs from Second Nature, I would love to hear them bring back "Peaceful Harbor", as well as "A Place In Your World".

Honestly, from their first two albums, they could probably play anything and it would be enjoyable! I just hope they play ONLY Flying Colors songs, now that they have enough material to fill a whole 2.5 hour show. I also hope that their Morsefest set is a bit different than what they plan on touring with, because I know we'll get CD/DVD/BD releases of both Morsefest 2019 AND the Third Degree Tour, but given our luck, they'll use the same songs/set list for Morsefest as they will for the upcoming tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2712 on: August 18, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »
I get the complaints about Casey's voice - even if I don't share them - as he doesn't sound like anyone that Mike has worked with (on a regular basis) before.

Having said that, I don't know how you listen to "Better Than Walking Away" and not acknowledge that it works, even if it's not your thing. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2713 on: August 18, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
Casey is a great singer with a great voice, just don’t make him try to sound like the guy from Muse :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: August 19, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

This is all I say for now:

Third Degree > Flying Colors > Second Nature

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: August 19, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
I think it's fair to mention that only MORE has that effect on Casey's voice. So, don't expect to listen to the same effect other tracks. The album seems short after listening to it, and I listened to the regular version with 9 tracks only, which is 1 hour 6 minutes and some seconds long but it pass flying. The trading vocals it's present in 4 songs, in those songs Casey trades vocals with Neal for only a verse, and in other song he trades vocals with NM and MP for a verse each and that's it. Casey sings ALL the songs except what I just mentioned. There's one song with a HUGE Beatles vibe (I think it's my favorite of the album). The longer tracks are magical specially CRAWL. This album it's really good, and IMO for those that were put off by the Muse vibe of MORE don't let that prevent you from getting/giving this album a chance, it will be worth!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2716 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
Alright nerds... I've got my tickets for Ventura!

GA, because I've never liked the Balcony at Ventura Theater. I'm a Ventura local so if anyone is coming in for this show and has questions about parking or food or anything in the area let me know!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2717 on: August 20, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
I think it's fair to mention that only MORE has that effect on Casey's voice. So, don't expect to listen to the same effect other tracks.

Intriguing that they've chosen the "Muse"-effect tracks as lead singles for the last two albums. Judging by this comment and the vitriol directed towards More earlier in the thread, maybe the band should have chosen another track for the lead single. It's not even like length is an issue, as More is 7:10. It might have staved off the criticism at least until the album came along.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2718 on: August 20, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
I think it's fair to mention that only MORE has that effect on Casey's voice. So, don't expect to listen to the same effect other tracks.

Intriguing that they've chosen the "Muse"-effect tracks as lead singles for the last two albums. Judging by this comment and the vitriol directed towards More earlier in the thread, maybe the band should have chosen another track for the lead single. It's not even like length is an issue, as More is 7:10. It might have staved off the criticism at least until the album came along.
maybe they deliberately chose this one, because they want to trigger lively discussions about it ?(in that case, they succeded) (btw, IMHO Muse had a good run of albums from Absolution until The 2nd Law, I like Simulation Theory quite a bit too, but then again I love Queen a lot and Muse seem to follow in their footsteps, so that's a win win for me)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
Mike Portnoy Drum & Vox Cam - Flying Colors' More - THIS IS A SPLIT HEADPHONE MIX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8R_995fE_I&feature=youtu.be

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2720 on: August 20, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Btw, I only just noticed MP's drumsticks being toppled in the YT thumbnail as opposed to the dominoes. Funny detail IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2721 on: August 20, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever found myself liking something, reading criticism, and then changing my mind or feeling off about it. If anything, there have been occasions where it's actually strengthened how much I've liked it - not sure I can really explain why though. Maybe on a subconscious level it feels like it's more "for me" if it's less for everyone else.

I do sometimes feel a bit of sadness for the artist if something that really speaks to me isn't going down well more generally, but that's quite natural I think.

I certainly haven't changed my mind about things. But when the majority tell you indirectly that something that you absolutely love, something you listen to that gives you the butterflies and that wonderful euphoria that only music can provide, is terrible, trash, the worst thing the band has ever made, it does make you question things. Are these feelings the music is evoking in me wrong? Are we even listening to the same music? It feels like I'm fighting a battle every single time, and you see so much vitriol for an album that those who appreciate it feel small and insignificant and too scared to speak out because the positive will get utterly crushed by the negative.
I have been proclaiming my love of Hudson Hawk since I first saw it in the theater in May 1991.  Still holding my head up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel October 2019)
« Reply #2722 on: August 24, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »

There's a contest over FB to win a litograph signed by the entire band.

All you have to do is to reply with the titlw of the 2 epics of the album. I am sure the lenght of the tracks were posted here before, so, if you want to take a chance: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2506652359378236&set=gm.902125110167606&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2723 on: August 24, 2019, 10:58:27 AM »
In the meantime, enjoy the new video from Melanie Mau & Martin Schnella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcICFwl9oPk

:hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2724 on: August 24, 2019, 07:11:48 PM »
I like the album, but nothing in it stands out for me like many tracks did on the first and second album. Maybe they'll grow on me over time, but for now, I feel that while enjoyable, most tracks are kind of bland.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2725 on: August 26, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
On Wednesday, August 28th, at 10am EST, the band will drop the official video for "You Are Not Alone".

Can't wait to hear it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2726 on: August 27, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
I'm going cheesy schmaltzy ballad a la Peaceful Harbor or Better Than Walking Away.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: August 28, 2019, 06:06:13 AM »
You Are Not Alone:

https://youtu.be/bMy8QeDnEXI

It will be available by 10am

---------------

Audio only: https://open.spotify.com/album/4g8eXw6P5Tqtl2vqWnN8Rm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:24:19 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:39 AM »
FLYING COLORS LAUNCH THEIR SECOND VIDEO FOR THE SONG “YOU ARE NOT ALONE”

View Video Here: https://youtu.be/bMy8QeDnEXI

Pre-Order Live Here: https://smarturl.it/Flying-Colors

BAND WILL TOUR IN SUPPORT OF UPCOMING RELEASE WITH

APPEARANCES PLANNED IN BOTH THE UNITED STATES AND EUROPE

Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group and Flying Colors have announced the global release of the band’s third studio album THIRD DEGREE on October 4.  Third Degree did not come effortlessly, nor too quickly. “It took time — but that’s the thing with Flying Colors,” Portnoy admits. “It’s very hard to get the five of us in the same room at the same time. But once we do, it flows so easily.”

The second video release is for the song “You Are Not Alone” on which Portnoy comments: “It’s one of the softer songs on the album...a side of Flying Colors that we always try to incorporate on every album...absolutely beautiful melodies, chord progressions and key changes. And Casey’s delivery is just absolutely goosebump worthy!”

The first sessions for Third Degree took place at Steve Morse’s studio in Florida in December 2016, wherein seven songs were written. From there, the bandmembers had to scatter back to their other personal and professional obligations, eventually reconvening two full years later in December 2018.

Portnoy agrees the future of Flying Colors looks quite bright indeed. “Our mission statement when we came together is still the same now,” he affirms. “It’s the same five guys with extremely different musical personalities and backgrounds coming together into a giant melting pot where it all comes out on the other end with music that’s accessible, melodic, deep, and colorful. That’s always been the goal of this band, and so far, I think we’re three for three.”

With Third Degree, Flying Colors continue to fire on all cylinders — and, in the process, they also handily prove the third time’s an unquestionable sonic charm.

Flying Colors have booked nine live dates on their calendar, mostly split evenly between the U.S. and Europe — in essence, to perform as many shows for their fans as they can possibly fit in between their many other band and touring commitments. “There’s an evolution happening within our sound on this record, and I’m excited to explore that onstage,” McPherson notes. “We’ve seen that evolution start with this record, and we’re going to see it happen even more so on the fourth record, in terms of capturing all our beautiful differences.”

Flying Colors will make the following appearances in 2019:

8/30       Cross Plains, TN                                                               MorseFest 2019

9/05       Ventura, CA                                                                      Ventura Theater

10/07    New York, NY                                                                   Sony Hall

10/11    Glenside, PA                                                                     Keswick Theater

10/17    St. Charles, IL                                                                    Arcada Theater

12/11    Pratteln, Switzerland                                                      Z7

12/12    Cologne, Germany                                                          Essigfabrik

12/13    Tilburg, Netherlands                                                       013

12/14    London, England                                                              Shepherd’s Bush Empire
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:11:08 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2729 on: August 28, 2019, 06:56:29 AM »
Not yet, they haven't. Launches at 3pm UK/10am EST.