Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386171 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2660 on: August 14, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
Yeesh. Just spot checked a bunch of samples of songs from various Muse albums. It was all mostly terrible. The vocalist is super annoying and the music seemed dreadful, for the most part. I recognized nothing. Even the 'popular' songs from the various albums didn't ring a single bell.

I can tell that I don't think I like Muse. I love FC. I'll just leave it like that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2661 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
So "spot check" muse and decide you don't like them, yet you would probably listen to a known prog bands song 100 times until you liked it.

Go listen to the entirety of Absolution a couple of times and get back to me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2662 on: August 15, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I don't think just spot checking samples of any artist is giving them a fair shake. Muse has some really good tunes, I've never actually heard a full album and I've heard some songs I dislike but Knights of Cydonia is a banger. There are some songs on Absolution I know I like, that's a good suggestion. Stockholm Syndrome!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2663 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »
I gave the song a second listen and, aside from whatever that effect is that they use on the vocals, it really sounds nothing like Muse.  The song sounded a little less bland on the second listen. Still not impressed, but maybe it will be a grower.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2664 on: August 15, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
I gave the song a second listen and, aside from whatever that effect is that they use on the vocals, it really sounds nothing like Muse.  The song sounded a little less bland on the second listen. Still not impressed, but maybe it will be a grower.

Haha, what? It's obviously Muse. Even the Melodies are the same as Stockholm or Apocalypse. Apparently you don't listen to Muse much.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2665 on: August 15, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
still waiting on noticing that Kevin Gilbert/Jellyfish influence.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2666 on: August 15, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »

Haha, what? It's obviously Muse. Even the Melodies are the same as Stockholm or Apocalypse. Apparently you don't listen to Muse much.

The vocals are pretty Muse, but the music isn't really. And they aren't really like either Stockholm or Apocalypse. But really they remind me more of Mask Machine, which is a better song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2667 on: August 15, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »

You're right. Muse is only one of my most-listened-to bands of the last 13 years. :P :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2668 on: August 15, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
I clearly set off some fuses so I will just shut it down for now. Don't want to argue with people. It's just not fun. I vaguely got a prog snob accusation which is about as far from me as possible.

I jump back into this thread after the album drops.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2669 on: August 15, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
That would be the worst time to drop back into this thread. Can you imagine what they'd be like with a whole bunch of other songs to criticize? Best to stay away from critics, even after you've formed your own opinion on the music. They will wear you down, like they did me with The Astonishing, to the point where you feel ashamed to like the album, like you have to hide that fact.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2670 on: August 15, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
I clearly set off some fuses so I will just shut it down for now. Don't want to argue with people. It's just not fun. I vaguely got a prog snob accusation which is about as far from me as possible.

I haven't posted here in some time. I forget the atmosphere tends to be... different. Don't take me too seriously.

Also, does this mean you won't give Absolution a few spins and let me know what you think?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2671 on: August 15, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
That would be the worst time to drop back into this thread. Can you imagine what they'd be like with a whole bunch of other songs to criticize? Best to stay away from critics, even after you've formed your own opinion on the music. They will wear you down, like they did me with The Astonishing, to the point where you feel ashamed to like the album, like you have to hide that fact.

You LIKE The Astonishing?!?

(I'm kidding, friend.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: August 15, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »

I haven't posted here in some time. I forget the atmosphere tends to be... different. Don't take me too seriously.

Also, does this mean you won't give Absolution a few spins and let me know what you think?

<---- Help me out.  Monkey Island? 

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2673 on: August 15, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »

<---- Help me out.  Monkey Island?

Indeed. Stan the used ship/coffin salesman.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2674 on: August 15, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
I've finally listened to the song, I enjoyed it, it lacks a memorable chorus IMO. I hope the rest of the album is better in that regard. I didn't liked the "prog" section in the middle, it feels unnecessary to me. Also, it definitely sounds like Muse to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2675 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »

Oh, come on.  Should we all just genuflect to every song the band releases?

Also, if you feel ashamed of liking an album that others do not...wow. Maybe the internet is not for you? :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2676 on: August 16, 2019, 04:03:57 AM »
If people just hate on something I like for no reason without any constructive criticism, I will find it empowering and probably like the thing even more.

But when people provide legitimate reasons why they do not like something, I take them into consideration and try to figure out if I feel the same. And if I don't, I still like it. I don't know if balanced criticism can destroy one's enjoyment like that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2677 on: August 16, 2019, 04:11:49 AM »

The vocals are pretty Muse, but the music isn't really. And they aren't really like either Stockholm or Apocalypse. But really they remind me more of Mask Machine, which is a better song.
Yep, agreed with Kev and Adami. This isn't a particularly Muse-sounding song compared to quite a few other FC songs. What I'm surprised by is anyone being surprised by a Muse influence in their music, particularly in Casey's vocals. That's always been there. And I dig it.

I like the song, but it's not desperately exciting on first listen. I can see it being a bit of a grower though, there's a nice moodiness to it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2678 on: August 16, 2019, 04:14:34 AM »

Oh, come on.  Should we all just genuflect to every song the band releases?

Also, if you feel ashamed of liking an album that others do not...wow. Maybe the internet is not for you? :P
I'm not sure I've ever found myself liking something, reading criticism, and then changing my mind or feeling off about it. If anything, there have been occasions where it's actually strengthened how much I've liked it - not sure I can really explain why though. Maybe on a subconscious level it feels like it's more "for me" if it's less for everyone else.

I do sometimes feel a bit of sadness for the artist if something that really speaks to me isn't going down well more generally, but that's quite natural I think.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2679 on: August 16, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »
I'm not sure I've ever found myself liking something, reading criticism, and then changing my mind or feeling off about it. If anything, there have been occasions where it's actually strengthened how much I've liked it - not sure I can really explain why though. Maybe on a subconscious level it feels like it's more "for me" if it's less for everyone else.

I do sometimes feel a bit of sadness for the artist if something that really speaks to me isn't going down well more generally, but that's quite natural I think.

I certainly haven't changed my mind about things. But when the majority tell you indirectly that something that you absolutely love, something you listen to that gives you the butterflies and that wonderful euphoria that only music can provide, is terrible, trash, the worst thing the band has ever made, it does make you question things. Are these feelings the music is evoking in me wrong? Are we even listening to the same music? It feels like I'm fighting a battle every single time, and you see so much vitriol for an album that those who appreciate it feel small and insignificant and too scared to speak out because the positive will get utterly crushed by the negative.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2680 on: August 16, 2019, 07:09:18 AM »
*Shrug* when it comes to music, I'm past the point of being ashamed of my tastes.

I love The Astonishing, by now I don't really listen to it anymore but I wore out a lot my own edit version of the album. Brilliant songs through and through. And I also like some Lady Gaga songs here and there, lately I've listened to A Million Reasons more than Distance Over Time. Come at me.

About More... weird video! the song didn't really grab me, I'll have to listen to it, ehr, more, and see how the rest of the album goes. I never really gave the second album that many listenings, I should go back to it sometimes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »

I certainly haven't changed my mind about things. But when the majority tell you indirectly that something that you absolutely love, something you listen to that gives you the butterflies and that wonderful euphoria that only music can provide, is terrible, trash, the worst thing the band has ever made, it does make you question things. Are these feelings the music is evoking in me wrong? Are we even listening to the same music? It feels like I'm fighting a battle every single time, and you see so much vitriol for an album that those who appreciate it feel small and insignificant and too scared to speak out because the positive will get utterly crushed by the negative.

I just won a roulette with Voyager and a bunch of responses were "MEH VOYAGER IDK WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS." Stop caring what other people think and enjoy whatever it is you like. :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2682 on: August 16, 2019, 07:18:04 AM »

I just won a roulette with Voyager and a bunch of responses were "MEH VOYAGER IDK WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS." Stop caring what other people think and enjoy whatever it is you like. :) :)

Same. I did a top 50 albums thread a while back and there was a lot of criticism.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2683 on: August 16, 2019, 07:19:52 AM »
Love the dragons and the castles.  Don't listen to the guys that have fun with what you love.   :biggrin:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: August 16, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »

Dude, How can the feelings music is evoking in you be wrong? It's not like it's driving you to do something bad. Euphoria, happiness, butterflies, all those things are great. If other people don't get the same, why does that matter? You are in a forum where most people like progressive music which is by no means a popular genre, yet all of us get some kind of pleasure out of it. Are we all wrong for that?
Just enjoy the music and be happy with what it makes you feel  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2685 on: August 16, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
But when the majority tell you indirectly that something that you absolutely love, something you listen to that gives you the butterflies and that wonderful euphoria that only music can provide, is terrible, trash, the worst thing the band has ever made, it does make you question things.
Why? Like all art forms, whether music speaks to someone is subjective. Everyone has different tastes, preferences, likes, dislikes. It's completely normal, expected and actually a positive that there will be a spectrum of different views on literally everything. Otherwise we'd all like the same thing, and nobody would ever innovate or create anything new or different.

Are these feelings the music is evoking in me wrong?
No, obviously not. They're awesome, that's exactly what music should do.

Are we even listening to the same music?
Yes, see above.

It feels like I'm fighting a battle every single time, and you see so much vitriol for an album that those who appreciate it feel small and insignificant and too scared to speak out because the positive will get utterly crushed by the negative.
I'm confused about the relevance to this thread. Nobody is talking in the terms you've just described.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2686 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:22 AM »
RoeDent, lets get together, listen to The Astonishing and compare the goosebumps.  ;)  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: August 16, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
BTW I also love The Astonishing. I couldn't give a dusty fuck if everyone else in the world hates it, it makes me happy and that's all that matters.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2688 on: August 16, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
BTW I also love The Astonishing. I couldn't give a dusty fuck if everyone else in the world hates it, it makes me happy and that's all that matters.
Definitely going to start using this.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2689 on: August 16, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
I think The Astonishing is awful, but I'm glad others enjoy it. Music is subjective!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: August 16, 2019, 08:24:53 AM »
Music is subjective!

Not according to at least one frequent flyer here! :lol

(Not me, I hasten to add. I am so looking forward to Taylor Swift's new album. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: August 16, 2019, 09:07:33 AM »

Do you have kids?  Serious question. 

I kind of - not exactly, but sort of - know what you're saying.  I have been a Kiss fan since I was 10 years old.  I have not wavered (much; the early '90's were a tough time to be a Kiss fan) in all my years, but I know what you mean.  Is it too derivative, and I just don't know my music well enough?  Is it bad to be so simple?   I got into other music - more metal, prog, alternative - but I always seemed to get as much pleasure as anything else when putting on a Kiss record (and forget about live; seeing them at their best - the first reunion tour - was a life-changing experience).   

Then I had a kid.  And she LOVED music as much as I did, in terms of almost needing it during her day.  And she started listening to Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers.  And I was, at first, "WTF?".   Then she migrated to Taylor Swift and One Direction.   And I took her to a couple shows (The Joe Bros. were the biggest at the time), and it struck me:  the music itself doesn't matter.  There's nothing inherently "better" about Dream Theater or Frank Zappa over Taylor Swift.  Sure, there might be a complexity to some of the musical passages, or the lyrical content may be more in depth, but that's really the difference between The Sopranos or Breaking Bad and Seinfeld or Cheers.  Is "The Sopranos" better than "Seinfeld" because there is sex and violence?  Nope.   And so to me, Taylor Swift is no better or worse - objectively - than Zappa because it's simpler, or it talks about - GASP! - feelings.   I watch my kid get as giddy for One Direction as I did for Maiden and Kiss, and I'm just happy she found something to immerse herself in.  And, truth be told, we've shared our music.  She's now a Kiss, Queen, Def Leppard and Fleetwood Mac fan (I feel Elton John is next, though maybe Van Halen) and I think Swift's "Wildest Dreams" is one of the greatest pop songs ever written, "Once In A Lifetime" by One Direction makes me cry every time I hear it, and I went and saw Harry Styles at MSG on his last tour (and he KILLED it).  His solo album is WAY underrated, too.  If you're a Bowie fan I can see you liking it.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: August 16, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »

Dude, How can the feelings music is evoking in you be wrong? It's not like it's driving you to do something bad. Euphoria, happiness, butterflies, all those things are great. If other people don't get the same, why does that matter? You are in a forum where most people like progressive music which is by no means a popular genre, yet all of us get some kind of pleasure out of it. Are we all wrong for that?
Just enjoy the music and be happy with what it makes you feel  :smiley:

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right!  :)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2693 on: August 16, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
Enthusiasm is infectious, and meeting people who share the same enthusiasm for the music you love is one of the greatest things ever. But music is also an intensely private and personal experience for each of us. And yet it also can be a public experience.

Anyway, I apologise for diverting the thread. I am super super hyped for Flying Colors' return. It's one of my most anticipated albums of the autumn, alongside IQ's Resistance.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2694 on: August 16, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »
But when the majority tell you indirectly that something that you absolutely love, something you listen to that gives you the butterflies and that wonderful euphoria that only music can provide, is terrible, trash, the worst thing the band has ever made, it does make you question things.
Why? Like all art forms, whether music speaks to someone is subjective. Everyone has different tastes, preferences, likes, dislikes. It's completely normal, expected and actually a positive that there will be a spectrum of different views on literally everything. Otherwise we'd all like the same thing, and nobody would ever innovate or create anything new or different.

Are these feelings the music is evoking in me wrong?
No, obviously not. They're awesome, that's exactly what music should do.

This.  If that's how The Astonishing, or Flying Colors, or anything else makes you feel, then that's how it makes you feel.  It's something special, I think, to feel that way about music.  I do get that it can be frustrating to read certain comments - especially those with vitriol.  It's normal I think; it's normal to sometimes want to jump in and defend something you love.  Or to avoid a particularly vitriolic thread or page of a thread - I've done that before too.  But don't let it ruin your enjoyment of something.

BTW, I *love* The Astonishing.  I like Flying Colors.  Oddly, I really like their long songs like Infinite Fire even though I've never been much of a band of NMB or Transatlantic.  It's weird how things hit you in different ways.