Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386136 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel October 2019)
« Reply #2625 on: August 14, 2019, 06:54:48 AM »
Except that it's not only about the vocoder. The vocal melodies sound like they are very much inspired by Matt, and I am convinced Casey would be the first to admit it.

The song kind of turned out to be a snoozer for me. I like my Flying Colors a bit more concise and to the point. But I guess people like me who are expecting to hear another debut will get tedious over time. We need to get over it.

I’m right there with you. Adored the debut. Second Nature didn’t grab me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2626 on: August 14, 2019, 07:10:48 AM »
First thought was Muse...surely I’m not the only one

The same was absolutely said about Mask Machine from the second album and Shoulda Woulda Coulda from the first. It's just the vocoder. Any time someone adds distortion to their voice it's automatically compared to Muse. Why? Why not just enjoy this song on its own merit? Why does it always have to be pointed out?

Because it sucks.   :)   

I love the first record, it's one of my favorites of the MP (post-DT) catalogue, but the closer it gets to Muse territory, the less I like it.  If this is a "Muse-inspired record", my excitement is tamed significantly. 

EDIT:  Listened to the single.  Not jazzed.  It's not the vocoder; it's the legato vocal lines (those verses might as well BE off a Muse record).  That's kind of my least favorite side of Flying Colors.   I'll give it a shot - I want to hear the "Beach Boys meets Asia" song - but I prefer the more poppy, song-oriented material.  Ah well, it's not about me.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:22:16 AM by Stadler »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2627 on: August 14, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
No idea on the other members but I know Portnoy loves Muse, so I’m not surprised if it is.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2628 on: August 14, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
Yes, as others have mentioned, the vocal lines and delivery are VERY Muse-inspired, and this is the same case as with Shoulda Coulda Woulda and Mask Machine (some of the instrumentation on More also reminded me of Mask Machine a lot). However, I wouldn't lose my hope for the album after this song, as the previous 2 albums have only had 1 Muse sounding song, don't worry just yet.

Btw, I'm not one of the "I want another album like the debut" fans, and actually enjoyed Second Nature quite a bit, but I'd LOVE to have more songs in the vein of Kayla or The Storm. Just leave all super proggy stuff for NMB and TA and write great catchy songs.

...also no more Muse influences, please :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: August 14, 2019, 07:41:18 AM »
Lyrics

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: August 14, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »
Yes, as others have mentioned, the vocal lines and delivery are VERY Muse-inspired, and this is the same case as with Shoulda Coulda Woulda and Mask Machine (some of the instrumentation on More also reminded me of Mask Machine a lot). However, I wouldn't lose my hope for the album after this song, as the previous 2 albums have only had 1 Muse sounding song, don't worry just yet.

Btw, I'm not one of the "I want another album like the debut" fans, and actually enjoyed Second Nature quite a bit, but I'd LOVE to have more songs in the vein of Kayla or The Storm. Just leave all super proggy stuff for NMB and TA and write great catchy songs.

...also no more Muse influences, please :biggrin:

I couldn't have said it better (I liked Second Nature too, after the first song).   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2631 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
Not a bad song. Don't mind the Muse influence. It wasn't as catchy as I'd like, but it wasn't bad.

Could have been edited down a minute or two though for sure.

Also that video is horrible. Just horrible. With that make up, the guys all look like 60-70 years old. At least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2632 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
I don't mind the Muse influence, but that song was pretty bland. My older brother, who loves the band and is a huge Casey fan, thought the same thing.  Hopefully, the rest of the album is a lot better...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2633 on: August 14, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
Not a bad song. Don't mind the Muse influence. It wasn't as catchy as I'd like, but it wasn't bad.

Could have been edited down a minute or two though for sure.

Also that video is horrible. Just horrible. With that make up, the guys all look like 60-70 years old. At least.

I agree with the first two parts, but not the third - I thought the video was cool, not amazing, but I don't think they look THAT old. Neal is 59, Steve is 65, but everyone looks normal imo. Song could definitely use some trimming, I just thought it was 'meh.' I don't mind the Muse influence - that said, I thought Shoulda Coulda Woulda was way better than this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2634 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »
They should do a cover of Never Enough by Dream Theater.. it’d be like Muse-inspired cover of a song inspired by Muse.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2635 on: August 14, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
I think I just need to stay away from this thread. I really really want to like this song and this band, and everyone's opinions are telling me that that is wrong.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2636 on: August 14, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
I mean, it’s just discussion, right?

If you enjoy it, you enjoy it!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2637 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
I think I just need to stay away from this thread. I really really want to like this song and this band, and everyone's opinions are telling me that that is wrong.

Do you like the song?

Awesome! Like it god dammit!

I enjoyed it for the most part, but I just didn't love it. I'll likely enjoy more with more listens and not watching the video. The video I did dislike, however.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2638 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »

I don't see anyone telling people not to like it. Why are you letting others' opinions dictate how you feel? If you like it that's great. Share your opinions. Besides, people here love Flying Colors. Not being blown away by one song isn't the end of the earth. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2639 on: August 14, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
Holy crap. That muse influence is strong. I didn't enjoy the song at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2640 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »
I actually don't mind the Muse influence, since I love Muse. It's not about that. I just didn't find the melodies all that convincing, so much so that I lost the attention halfway through. And that instrumental prog section kind of kicked in at the most predictable moment. Maybe the song will grow on me, but we'll see.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2641 on: August 14, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
I didn't hate it, but I didn't immediately love it. It's a grower, but it doesn't now surprise me that their lead single, the Muse-inspired song, is once again Track 2 on the album. Guess that's the spot for such a track! At least they didn't open the album with a long song again. Regarding song lengths, though, I am more interested in the back half (6-9) than the front, given there are three 7-minute songs in a row at the front, but I'm sure they all sound varied and different enough from each other to warrant such placement. The second half, with its shorter songs, intrigues me more.

At any rate, I might keep my Amazon order for the 2cd set and order the marble vinyl with shirt from Mascot. That vinyl looks gorgeous, and I don't even OWN a record player - I just want it cuz it's pretty.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2642 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
Meh.

It's a single.

Gimmie the whole album before I judge
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2643 on: August 14, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Meh.

It's a single.

Gimmie the whole album before I judge

Exactly.  I liked the video a lot.  The song while ok doesn't have the hooks that I like from them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: August 14, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
I still think that what lacks on Second Nature (and probably on Third Degree) is PETER COLLINS (the producer, and fresh ears) from the first album. I know NM, MP and company can be producers of their own music as they have done in the past, but with that formula it all starts sounding samey. But IMO the reason the self title sounded so fresh and it's among my favorite records of all time seems to be Peter. I will have to check Third Degree to be completely sure.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: August 14, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
All vinyls come with a code to download the album on mp3 format
Source: https://usa.mascotlabelgroup.com/flying-colors

Offline emtee

« Reply #2646 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:06 AM »
Nope. WAY too close to Muse for me. I just can't connect
with the music this band creates. Glad others do though.
Sadly, try as I might, MP related projects are harder and
harder for me to connect with and purchase. Hoping
The new SOA album changes that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2647 on: August 14, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »
I still think that what lacks on Second Nature (and probably on Third Degree) is PETER COLLINS (the producer, and fresh ears) from the first album. I know NM, MP and company can be producers of their own music as they have done in the past, but with that formula it all starts sounding samey. But IMO the reason the self title sounded so fresh and it's among my favorite records of all time seems to be Peter. I will have to check Third Degree to be completely sure.

I think the press release said Rich Mouser produced this one? His influence might have changed the music direction a bit, but this first track just isn't a good starting point. Guess we'll have to wait to find out.
Completely agree with the bolded part, though. NM, NMB and TA music all sound too samey nowadays, and if you add FC using the same approach, it just makes having all these bands pointless.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2648 on: August 14, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »

I think the press release said Rich Mouser produced this one? His influence might have changed the music direction a bit, but this first track just isn't a good starting point. Guess we'll have to wait to find out.
Completely agree with the bolded part, though. NM, NMB and TA music all sound too samey nowadays, and if you add FC using the same approach, it just makes having all these bands pointless.

That's what's turning me off of them now. Their first album was amazing and different for each member. Now, it's just another Portnoy Morse fest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2649 on: August 14, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
I liked it! Wasn't very keen on Second Nature, like others, and didn't know what to expect from this but really enjoyed it. The voc was Musey but nothing else about it sounded like it to me.

Looking forward to the rest.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: August 14, 2019, 10:50:19 AM »

I just read the full press and seems he did (Rich Mouser) produce this one. But, he has always being part of the equation too, on TA, NMB, NM solo, etc, so he is not at all fresh ears here either.

I am still anxious to hear the whole thing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2651 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
First thought is that this is my least favorite of the Muse-inspired tracks they've put out, though I could see it growing on me. I also personally would have liked to have seen a few more shorter runtimes in the track listing, but I'm still very much looking forward to the new album.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2652 on: August 14, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
still hoping for some Kevin Gilbert/Toy Matinee/Jellyfish -like tunes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: August 14, 2019, 11:07:54 AM »
still hoping for some Kevin Gilbert/Toy Matinee/Jellyfish -like tunes.

I'd certainly go in for that, but I'm not optimistic.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2654 on: August 14, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
I know absolutely zilch about Muse so I guess I am glad I don't get all of the Muse references. Pretty sure I have never heard a single song from them. Maybe snippets if they were in a commercial or TV show or something.

Thankfully, I guess, 'it sounds like Muse' isn't in my vocabulary.

Oh, pre-ordered the deluxe from Amazon last night after MP shared that it was popping up. I'll be all ready for the show at the Arcada.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline JLa

« Reply #2655 on: August 14, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »
I didn't really think "Muse" when I heard this, but then again I'm not the biggest Muse fan out there. I know a few of their songs and that's it.

Listened to "More" twice and, what to say? Nothing really stood out. I don't remember anything of the song now. Still excited about the new album though!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: August 14, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »
I know absolutely zilch about Muse so I guess I am glad I don't get all of the Muse references. Pretty sure I have never heard a single song from them. Maybe snippets if they were in a commercial or TV show or something.

Thankfully, I guess, 'it sounds like Muse' isn't in my vocabulary.

If you want to hear some Muse to compare, try this:

Music video for More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNEW042p0CM

;D :D ;D :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2657 on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
I know absolutely zilch about Muse so I guess I am glad I don't get all of the Muse references. Pretty sure I have never heard a single song from them.

Have you heard Never Enough? :P

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
I know absolutely zilch about Muse so I guess I am glad I don't get all of the Muse references. Pretty sure I have never heard a single song from them.

Have you heard Never Enough? :P

Or this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRg33VDFZE

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2659 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Real question: Is it bad that, after listening to the new song a couple times, I now have Mask Machine stuck in my head? :o