Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386221 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel October 2019)
« Reply #2590 on: July 25, 2019, 07:39:02 AM »
"The Storm" has one of my two favorite Mike Portnoy moments ever (I love how he shadows the lyric, playing fast while Casey sings about the "storm", then slows it to half time as the "storm" washes everything away (lyrically).  I don't know if he intended that or not, but it's beautiful).   

"BTWA" makes me cry every time I hear it, to this day, since it resonates very strongly with my personal life (I played it once for my ex-wife and... let's just say it was an emotional moment.  The first verse hit wayyyyyyy too close to home for her.)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: July 25, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
It seems there are 2 versions of the album (regular, and special ed.) the latter with a bonus track. More info coming soon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2592 on: July 25, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Better Than Walking Away is definitely one of my favorites as well. And as much as I like the shorter songs the band has done, Infinite Fire is pretty sweet.  I like how that one is proggy, but never feels overcooked or like the band felt the need to show off.  Even though Open Up Your Eyes is a good tune, the part before the first verse were the drums take the lead with the synths feels totally shoe-horned in, and that ending feels way too much like "Hey, look at how great we can play!"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2593 on: July 27, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »
Even though Open Up Your Eyes is a good tune, the part before the first verse were the drums take the lead with the synths feels totally shoe-horned in,

The slap bass bit? Oh I love that part! LaRue's slap bass parts are one of the main things I associate with Flying Colors, and makes it stand out from other NM/MP projects. I know it's not used enormously often (Forever in a Daze, Open Up Your Eyes and Bombs Away), but it stands out to me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2594 on: July 28, 2019, 07:59:13 AM »
Love the bass playing in Forever in a Daze
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2595 on: July 31, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
Already have my Flying Colors tickets, and unlike Dream Theater, they are one of the few acts Jennie goes with me to see, so the choice is easy. Had I not already seen SFaM earlier in the year it would be much tougher though.

Guess I'll see you guys there. (Got tickets the day they went on sale.) At least I know I'll see Dream Theater again down the road.  Can't say with much certainty if I'll ever have the opportunity for another (fourth) Flying Colors gig. Just not used to having to make these decisions.

Offline siebzehnx

« Reply #2596 on: August 12, 2019, 08:06:27 AM »
I can confirm there will be two CD editions. I was lucky to work on the design of the extended version. It will include a bonus track indeed and several other additional stuff. I can't disclose anything else at the moment, but it'll be an excellent and lavish package

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2597 on: August 12, 2019, 08:43:44 AM »
Anyone have any idea on how the tickets are selling?

I won't be able to buy my tickets for Ventura until the 23rd at the earliest. I will hate myself if they sell out before then...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2598 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3226763594007927&id=116713035013014

New cover art revealed! Love that the figure from the debut album is there!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2600 on: August 12, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
I know it's early to start planning, but anyone going to the NY show, I'm going to likely head down early that day, and would enjoy pre-game company....

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:55 PM »
I prefer the cover of the deluxe edition

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2602 on: August 12, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
I know it's early to start planning, but anyone going to the NY show, I'm going to likely head down early that day, and would enjoy pre-game company....

I'm going but it's a work day, not sure how early I can get down there. What time is the show?

Oh wait, it's you. Nevermind.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2603 on: August 12, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »

I'll be heading into the city after work, Monday is usually my day to leave early so should be able to be in the area for 6pm or so.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2604 on: August 13, 2019, 03:43:04 AM »
"More coming Wedneday", MP says on the FB post showing the album cover. :caffeine:

Offline mikewillettmusic

« Reply #2605 on: August 13, 2019, 04:00:57 AM »
Oh, "More" coming Wednesday. I get it now! So this showed up in my Spotify New For You list but I couldn't play it.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2606 on: August 13, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Really? Really?!! In that case I hope we get "More" info tomorrow, like an actual release date or something.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2607 on: August 13, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
Oh, "More" coming Wednesday. I get it now! So this showed up in my Spotify New For You list but I couldn't play it.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

The single is titled "More". Hilarious. I'm sure they'll drop the release date, pre-orders, and track listing all tomorrow. Neal said the release date would be in October, so we're, at most, 10 weeks away from the last Friday of October (the 25th), which seems like the right amount of time before the album promotional cycle begins. I'm excited to hear the single! Hard to believe it's been 5 years since Second Nature. I hope we get an album that is all the best parts of the first two, along with some new, fresh and exciting things!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #2608 on: August 13, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
   Amazon Shows

Third Degree (Limited Deluxe CD Box Set)

Third Degree Limited Deluxe
Box Set
Flying Colors (Artist) Format: Audio CD
See all formats and editions

Editorial Reviews

In chemistry, when certain galvanizing elements come together, they become quite explosive. In music, when certain galvanizing artists come together, they become Flying Colors. In fact, whenever the five gentlemen who encompass Flying Colors - guitarist Steve Morse, drummer Mike Portnoy, keyboardist/vocalist Neal Morse, bassist Dave LaRue, and powerhouse vocalist and songwriter Casey McPherson are able to conjoin their collective talents, the result is a sweet sonic bouillabaisse that reflects where their inherent mastery of melody intersects with top-shelf progressive musicianship. Flying Colors soar to even loftier heights with Third Degree, their third studio album in a decade that's set for release on October 4, 2019 via Music Theories Recordings. Produced by longtime band associate Rich Mouser, Third Degree builds upon the genre-bending momentum of 2012's self-titled Flying Colors and the aural template ascension of 2014's Second Nature. "There's a lot of ear candy sprinkled throughout every song," observes Mike Portnoy, "and each one takes you on a little journey. As albums go, Third Degree is a complete piece that I don't think ever overstays its welcome. I think it's an enjoyable ride from start to finish." Third Degree continues to build upon the deep-rooted musical connection the members of Flying Colors established on their first two boundary-stretching albums. "There's a real special chemistry between the five of us," Portnoy confirms. "We keep getting better and better as we get more comfortable and more familiar with each other, and the music itself keeps getting more and more mature." Adds Steve Morse, "This one, dare I say it, explores new ground for the band. We just do what makes us smile and sounds good, instead of wondering how critics or program directors will like it. It makes for the best music!" "Our mission statement when we came together is still the same now," Portnoy affirms. "It's the same five guys with extremely different musical personalities and backgrounds coming together into a giant melting pot where it all comes out on the other end with music that's accessible, melodic, deep, and colorful. That's always been the goal of this band, and so far, I think we're three for three."

The Deluxe CD box set contains a 40 page photobook, 2 coasters and an extra CD with 6 bonus tracks.
Track Listings
Disc: 1
  1. The Loss Inside
  2. More
  3. Cadence
  4. Guardian
  5. Last Train Home
  6. Geronimo
  7. You Are Not Alone
  8. Love Letter
  9. Crawl

Disc: 2
  1. Waiting For The Sun (Bonus Track)
  2. Geronimo (Alternate Version)
  3. Crawl (Alternate Version)
  4. Love Letter (Alternate Version)
  5. You Are Not Alone (Alternate Version)
  6. Last Train Home (Alternate Version)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
Those are such non-MP quotes. He didn't deal in absolutes, hyperbole, or excessive praise.

Also...

....powerhouse vocalist... Casey McPherson...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2611 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
 :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2612 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
Pre order:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLBQWQB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26I9NO7HKMMAM&keywords=flying+colors+third+degree&qid=1565745780&s=gateway&sprefix=flying+colors+third+deegr%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-1

Thanks for the link! Just pre-ordered, since the price seems fairly low considering what you get in the package, so I was worried the final price might go up. Either way, since it's Amazon, I won't get charged til it ships, so if I see a better deal (or a bundle from Music Theories Recordings with a t-shirt or a poster), I may order that instead.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2613 on: August 13, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
Thanks to the track list being posted, I found this on Google:
https://www.wizard.bg/main.php?page=shop&section=article&mid=23636

Looks like we'll be getting a sweet-looking blue vinyl set, and on that same page, we get vinyl track listing, which gives us a better idea of how long the songs might be:

A1    The Loss Inside
A2    More
A3    Cadence
B1    Guardian
B2    Last Train Home
C1    Geronimo
C2    You Are Not Alone
C3    Love Letter
D1    Crawl

(Note - the linked page above erroneously lists a Beth Hart album track listing as well. Might be due to that album also being from Mascot)

Looks like "Crawl" is long enough to warrant it's own side of vinyl, so I suspect another closer like "Infinite Fire" and "Cosmic Symphony". If the album is about as long as Second Nature, and being only nine songs, I think we can expect songs in the average range of 5-7 minutes, since each of the first three sides only have two or three songs each. My excitement for this album grows more and more!

EDIT - Link to Amazon's page for the Blue Vinyl pre-order:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6C9R4M/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1565755558&refinements=p_32%3AFlying+Colors&s=music&sr=1-3

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2614 on: August 14, 2019, 01:46:12 AM »
That Amazon pages gives a release date of October 4th.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2615 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:18 AM »
Music video for More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNEW042p0CM

Release date for Third Degree is confirmed as October 4th.

Also, Google has lengths:

1. The Loss Inside - 5:50
2. More - 7:10
3. Cadence - 7:40
4. Guardian - 7:10
5. Last Train Home - 10:31
6. Geronimo - 5:19
7. You Are Not Alone - 6:21
8. Love Letter - 5:09
9. Crawl - 11:14

TOTAL: 66:24

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: August 14, 2019, 06:06:37 AM »
Just listened to the new single. While I love the rocking vibe of the song, I think this guys lost the essence of what made the first album so good. This song suffers of trying to be more than it really needs to be and stretches for too long. Given that all the songs are in a similar time range I don't have much hope for the rest of the album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2617 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:09 AM »
First thought was Muse...surely I’m not the only one

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: August 14, 2019, 06:14:12 AM »
The new Flying Colors album "Third Degree" has been announced, along with the video for the single "More". All the details below #flyingcolors #thirddegree

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/progressive-rock-supergroup-flying-colors-reveal-details-of-new-album-third-degree/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:23:08 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2619 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »
Guys, I don’t get it, the video says Flying Colors, but YouTube keeps playing a Muse song :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2620 on: August 14, 2019, 06:29:56 AM »

The same was absolutely said about Mask Machine from the second album and Shoulda Woulda Coulda from the first. It's just the vocoder. Any time someone adds distortion to their voice it's automatically compared to Muse. Why? Why not just enjoy this song on its own merit? Why does it always have to be pointed out?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: August 14, 2019, 06:31:09 AM »
Pre order:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLBQWQB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26I9NO7HKMMAM&keywords=flying+colors+third+degree&qid=1565745780&s=gateway&sprefix=flying+colors+third+deegr%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-1

Thanks for the link! Just pre-ordered, since the price seems fairly low considering what you get in the package, so I was worried the final price might go up. Either way, since it's Amazon, I won't get charged til it ships, so if I see a better deal (or a bundle from Music Theories Recordings with a t-shirt or a poster), I may order that instead.

-Marc.

Pre order with shirts and other things

https://usa.mascotlabelgroup.com/flying-colors

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2622 on: August 14, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »

The same was absolutely said about Mask Machine from the second album and Shoulda Woulda Coulda from the first. It's just the vocoder. Any time someone adds distortion to their voice it's automatically compared to Muse. Why? Why not just enjoy this song on its own merit? Why does it always have to be pointed out?

Because it’s an observation I made. That’s all. I never said I couldn’t enjoy it.

I didn’t know about the vocoder though, I’m not familiar with it. Thanks for educating me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2623 on: August 14, 2019, 06:52:26 AM »
Except that it's not only about the vocoder. The vocal melodies sound like they are very much inspired by Matt, and I am convinced Casey would be the first to admit it.

The song kind of turned out to be a snoozer for me. I like my Flying Colors a bit more concise and to the point. But I guess people like me who are expecting to hear another debut will get tedious over time. We need to get over it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2624 on: August 14, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »
I liked this song a lot! I guess the Muse’s influence is there (also in the bass lines), but it’s really far from any plagiarism.
Nekov said something interesting about their change of style. I also think that something (really unique) in their original sound was lost when they found their own sound in the second album.
What is that? Neal using a different keyboard sound?!?!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)