Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386082 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Flying Colors (Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson)
« Reply #2520 on: June 01, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
I will be in NYC on October 7th, if anyone cares. :)

Hey baby.

NYC is only a 6 hour drive from me now... but it is a Monday night.   :-\

Drive 8 hours for a Friday night?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Flying Colors (Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson)
« Reply #2521 on: June 01, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
Quote from: The Letter M in lieu of Mike Portnoylink=topic=18702.msg2555803#msg2555803 date=1559330415
So PLEASE do not bombard us with “Come To Brazil”, “Come To Italy”, & “Come To Saskatchewan” posts...It has been quite difficult to coordinate these 10 appearances as it is...so if we can’t come to you, please do your best to come to us!!! We promise it will be worth the effort...

Someone on FB asked what's wrong with fans asking bands to come to play where they are, and I replied explaining briefly how every musician must be fed up with endless "Come to my backyard" posts, considering that it's not their job in the first place and that most are out of place, such as asking for european dates when there's an american tour.... Portnoy (and no one else) liked my comment, I like to imagine him reading and going "yeah.... at least this guy gets it"  :lol

That said, I wonder why he singled out Italy in his example - it's just a random pick or my fellow citizens go overboard in asking for it?  :biggrin:

About the album I'm interested to see what it will be like, I loved the first but never really cared for the second - I should give it one more try I guess...

There are plenty of bands that will play backyards these days, but Flying Colors, obviously, is not one of them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel September 2019)
« Reply #2522 on: June 01, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »

Hey baby.

As a bonus you could hit Philly Friday, and then Saturday's Progstock lineup Saturday and/or Sunday.

That's what I'd like to do, but I already know this will play out to optimally fuck me. Phideaux will be scheduled for Friday forcing me to ProgStock that night and into NYC on a Monday night for Flying Colors.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2523 on: June 02, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
I'll be there for the Morsefest and NYC shows. I'd be doing PA as well, but ProgStock.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2524 on: June 02, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
If the album is dopping in September, when can we expect a single to be released?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2525 on: June 02, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
Neal sent out an Inner Circle update on 5/30 and he mentioned that Rich was mixing the album right now. Rich has to deliver it and then it needs to be mastered so I'm guessing a single is still some time away.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2526 on: June 02, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
So, Ticketmaster's site mentions a June 5th resale for the NYC show.  Has anyone seen anything about a password or anything?  There is next to no information on the TM site.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2527 on: June 02, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
Neal sent out an Inner Circle update on 5/30 and he mentioned that Rich was mixing the album right now. Rich has to deliver it and then it needs to be mastered so I'm guessing a single is still some time away.

Thank you! New FC is worth the wait, and we'll have it in a couple months anyway. Excited for this album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2528 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »
I will get this either way, but I really hope this album is more like the first album stylistically (short catchy songs mostly with a hint of prog) than the second (which was heavier on the prog). 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2529 on: June 03, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
I will get this either way, but I really hope this album is more like the first album stylistically (short catchy songs mostly with a hint of prog) than the second (which was heavier on the prog).
Agreed. But if they self-produce like they did for Second Nature, and which I suspect they will again (remember the "too many chefs in the kitchen" comment?), I have a feeling it will be closer to it than the debut.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2530 on: June 05, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »
Just bought tickets for the Arcada show. As usual, they just went on-sale without warning. Nice little b-day present for myself that week.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2531 on: June 07, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
Can't wait for European dates. I've never seen Neal live FC are my only real choice these days.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2532 on: June 09, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »

Hey baby.

As a bonus you could hit Philly Friday, and then Saturday's Progstock lineup Saturday and/or Sunday.

That's what I'd like to do, but I already know this will play out to optimally fuck me. Phideaux will be scheduled for Friday forcing me to ProgStock that night and into NYC on a Monday night for Flying Colors.

I'm waiting for single tickets to go on sale for that likely looking at Saturday though.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2534 on: July 16, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
Dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but I feel like I'd enjoy FC much more if vocals were strictly Casey's. Not a fan of Neal Morse's vocal contributions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2536 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
VIP tickets just announced:

http://www.radiantrecords.com/products/779-flying-colors-2019-vip-passes.aspx

Are the actual tickets on sale yet?

I bought tickets a while ago to the NY show. So.......I hope so haha
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2537 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
Ehh...call me when we have album info.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2539 on: July 16, 2019, 06:04:13 PM »
Schedules worked out for the Philly show. In the afternoon 2:30-4:00pm I'll be in Rahway seeing Phideaux at ProgStock and this onto Philly for Flying Colors.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: July 17, 2019, 01:42:38 AM »
Good news, folks! Guess what?!

MP has just declared that not only is this new album "hands down" his favourite Flying Colors album, it may also be in the top five of his career!

Who'd have thought, eh? :biggrin:

(I say this as someone who's generally a fan of MP and usually thinks this board's reaction to pretty much anything he does is a a smidge OTT :lol)

Anyway, it's being brickwal-- sorry, mastered today.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2541 on: July 17, 2019, 06:19:26 AM »
Good news, folks! Guess what?!

MP has just declared that not only is this new album "hands down" his favourite Flying Colors album, it may also be in the top five of his career!

Who'd have thought, eh? :biggrin:

(I say this as someone who's generally a fan of MP and usually thinks this board's reaction to pretty much anything he does is a a smidge OTT :lol)

Anyway, it's being brickwal-- sorry, mastered today.

I’m shocked! :rollin

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: July 17, 2019, 06:59:15 AM »
Let me guess.... his 5 most favorite records could be

Sons of Apollo - Album nr 2
Flying Colours - Third Degree
The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure
The Winery Dogs - Dog Years
The Neal Morse Band - Similitude of a Dream

;)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: July 17, 2019, 07:07:06 AM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #2544 on: July 17, 2019, 07:15:16 AM »
What kind of fans would buy into that sort of promotion these days? I can't believe there are still musicians that bother with building hype that way. At this point in time, most fans would be put off by this.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2545 on: July 17, 2019, 07:21:41 AM »
I guess the very fact we're talking about it proves that sort of promotion works. All publicity is good publicity.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2546 on: July 17, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
I guess the very fact we're talking about it proves that sort of promotion works. All publicity is good publicity.

I don't think making fun of MP counts as "good publicity".

Online Mladen

« Reply #2547 on: July 17, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
I am by no means making fun of Mike, I like him a lot. I'm just wondering what fan goes "Whoa, MP says Third degree is a top 5 album of his career! Better buy it!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2548 on: July 17, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »
Can I quote myself from last week? ;)

Mike Portnoy: Taking hyperbole to the next level since the invention of the internet!!

I am pretty sure he said a while back that he considers the best 3 albums he's been on to be Similitude, Scenes and The Whirlwind, so if this is top 5, what's the 4th?  Probably not Adrenaline Mob. :lol :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #2549 on: July 17, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
Either Images and words or Psychotic symphony.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2550 on: July 17, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
Wasn't Systematic Chaos his favorite non-concept album by DT?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2551 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
Whoa, MP says Third degree is a top 5 album of his career! Better buy it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2552 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
:lol

Only speculation perhaps, but MP is definitely someone who gets very excitable about things he's involved in (this is very much not a criticism, it's one of my favourite things about him) and so I don't interpret it as hype for marketing sake, but genuine excitement and love for what his band has produced.

Completely fair to poke fun at him for it and as some have remarked, I'm sure if anything it puts some people off because it's so over the top.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2553 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
Flying Colors is my favorite non-DT project of his. By Far. I even loved the 2nd album (minus that first song).

My only fear is that when MP gets super excited about this kind of stuff, it makes me worry that it's more super prog than I'd like. I hope they stick to the short catchy fun rock songs, and lesson the 10 minute Transatlantic style epics. But we'll see. I'm skeptical, but only because I think that Portnoy tends to go full prog when he has the chance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2554 on: July 17, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
:lol

Only speculation perhaps, but MP is definitely someone who gets very excitable about things he's involved in (this is very much not a criticism, it's one of my favourite things about him) and so I don't interpret it as hype for marketing sake, but genuine excitement and love for what his band has produced.

You said it in a way much better than I could have. As soon as I saw MP's post the first thing that came to mind was, 'Great, DTF is going to rip this apart.'

Your explanation is exactly how I always take his comments.