Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 383819 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #2310 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »
I hope they dial back the prog a little and make it more like the debut. More songs like Forever In a Daze and Love Is What I'm Waiting For.

Funny you say that - someone on the Facebook post by the PROG Magazine that posted this story said they hoped the next album would be as proggy as their last one, if not proggier. :rollin

Guess you can't please'em all...

-Marc.

I think the non-prog askers have more of a leg to stand on since the being less prog thing was really what separated this out form most of MPs other projects. Might as well just listen to Transatlantic if you want Flying Colours to go full prog.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2311 on: July 04, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
I hope they dial back the prog a little and make it more like the debut. More songs like Forever In a Daze and Love Is What I'm Waiting For.
This, please!  :heart
Definitely.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2312 on: July 04, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »

Funny you say that - someone on the Facebook post by the PROG Magazine that posted this story said they hoped the next album would be as proggy as their last one, if not proggier. :rollin

Guess you can't please'em all...

-Marc.

I think the non-prog askers have more of a leg to stand on since the being less prog thing was really what separated this out form most of MPs other projects. Might as well just listen to Transatlantic if you want Flying Colours to go full prog.
My thought exactly. Open Your Eyes (the proggiest song on the last album IMO) sounded like a Transatlantic leftover. They advertised this as a bunch of prog musicians doing something different.

I think the first album nailed it. It was a really interesting blend of prog and poppier stuff. Unfortunately I can only imagine them going proggier with every album and this eventually turning into a smaller scale Transatlantic.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2313 on: July 05, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
The first album was great, but I never really got into the second album apart from a few songs. As said before, too much prog, and too little of the poppy stuff like on the first album to have it stand apart from projects like Transatlantic.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2314 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:18 AM »
I don't mind them going prog as long as they don't sound like one of the member's other bands. The problem of Open Up Your Eyes wasn't that it was prog, it was that it sounded like Transatlantic and that it wasn't a very good song.

On the other hand, songs like Blue Ocean, Infinite Fire and Cosmic Symphony also have a strong prog influence but do sound like Flying Colors and are much better songwise.

So, for me, they should go prog for some songs and leave the prog out for others, mixing it up like they had before. As long as it's an collaborative effort and not one member get's too strong a say, I think they will come up with another good blend of songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2315 on: July 05, 2016, 02:56:28 AM »
I hope we get more great slap passages from LaRue. Like Forever in a Daze, Open Up Your Eyes or Bombs Away. That's one of the things that distinguishes Flying Colors from other Morse/Portnoy bands. That and Casey's vocals.

I know a lot of people don't want FC to be prog, but it would be cool to see them do a proper epic (15 or even 20 mins +). With that group of musicians.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2316 on: July 05, 2016, 03:12:32 AM »
I still think that if Open Your Eyes wasn't on there, people wouldn't have this idea that the album is materially more proggy than the debut. I really don't think it is, apart from that song, but as it comes first, it colours (lol) the tone.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2317 on: July 05, 2016, 07:45:43 AM »
I still think that if Open Your Eyes wasn't on there, people wouldn't have this idea that the album is materially more proggy than the debut. I really don't think it is, apart from that song, but as it comes first, it colours (lol) the tone.

Yes, plus great choruses on the album as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2318 on: July 05, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
I don't give a crap about the label, I just care if the album has good music on it.  And both albums were full of good music, prog or non-prog. 

So whatever they do will be fine with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2319 on: July 05, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »

Totally, this.

I don't give a crap about the label, I just care if the album has good music on it.  And both albums were full of good music, prog or non-prog. 

So whatever they do will be fine with me.

And this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2320 on: July 05, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
There's some truth to that, but whenever I listen to the album I skip Open Your Eyes and it still isn't as good as the debut. Not only is it proggier, but it feels like they're using a smaller palette of sounds than on the first album. It also takes a few songs to really get going.

I wouldn't care about the label either if the music was good. But like I said, Open Your Eyes just sounds like a Transatlantic outtake to me. If it was like a 12 minute version of Stranger In Your Soul or something I probably would be fine with it, even if I was a little disappointed that they weren't exploring the poppier side more. It's not so much that the label is important as much as it is that this project was billed as something different for Neal Morse and Portnoy. If the next album has more music like Open Your Eyes and less like Lost Without You (to use a song from the last album as a positive example), it's just going to feel like another typical Portnoy/Morse project.

That said, I do like when they really blend the pop and prog sound. Cosmic Symphony does this perfectly and it's actually my favorite Flying Colors song. I just think Second Nature didn't capture that balance as well as the first album did overall.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2321 on: July 05, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »
I love Cosmic Symphony and Peaceful Harbor.  Just glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2322 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
Best FC songs in my opinion. You know your stuff, Mr. Jeremy.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2323 on: July 05, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
Best FC songs in my opinion. You know your stuff, Mr. Jeremy.
*bows with a flourish*

Staying on the second album, One Love Forever is fantastic, and Fury of my Love really scratches my itch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2324 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »
The version of One Love Forever on the live album is so damn good.  I love how they slightly changed it up live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2325 on: July 05, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »
The version of One Love Forever on the live album is so damn good.  I love how they slightly changed it up live.
Yeah, that was cool.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2327 on: December 07, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
That is fantastic. Once again, fingers crossed for a poppier, less proggy release.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2328 on: December 07, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
That is fantastic. Once again, fingers crossed for a poppier, less proggy release.

Why not a double album? Disc one with poppier songs, and disc two with proggier epics.

Anyway, really excited about this!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2329 on: December 07, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
Couldn't be more excited for this.   I love Flying Colors.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2330 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »
I just hope for good music.

First album had good music.  I was happy.

Second album had good music.  I was happy.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2331 on: December 07, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
I'd be fine with whatever they do. I'd actually like to hear a proper 20-minute epic with this combination of musicians.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2332 on: December 07, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »
Aside from the first track, I really don't see how the 2nd album is the massive departure from pop and into prog territory. I think it lacked a Beatles rip off song, but aside from that, the songs from either album could fit on the other.

I'm hoping they keep that up. I don't want them to go pure prog with a 20 minute epic. We have Neil Morse, or Transatlantic for that. Not everything has to do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2333 on: December 08, 2016, 02:07:10 AM »

Nothing more to say
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: December 08, 2016, 03:54:47 AM »

Nothing more to say

Ditto
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2335 on: December 08, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
I would prefer a more pop orientated prog album like the first one, but offcourse would be happy regardless of their direction if the music is great. I think their debut album nailed a certain balance of pop and prog that none of the other NM/MP projects have, thus it stood out more as it's own thing. Not to say the second album wasn't good or wasn't it's own thing, but the debut hit a certain sweet spot the second one did not for me personally.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2336 on: December 08, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
Firstly, the album being good is the most important thing, but with that said the further the project goes from prog the better. These guys, especially Neal and Mike have plenty of other outlets for prog music. I'd rather they do something fresh and exciting if possible.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2337 on: December 09, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »

Personally I'm hoping for really bad music

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2338 on: December 11, 2016, 05:18:05 AM »
I'm hoping they utilise Steve Morse...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2339 on: December 11, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
Firstly, the album being good is the most important thing, but with that said the further the project goes from prog the better. These guys, especially Neal and Mike have plenty of other outlets for prog music. I'd rather they do something fresh and exciting if possible.

Agreed. Seems like the more prog the album gets, the more it sounds like "another Neal album". I'd rather it just be fresh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2340 on: December 11, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
I would prefer a more pop orientated prog album like the first one, but offcourse would be happy regardless of their direction if the music is great. I think their debut album nailed a certain balance of pop and prog that none of the other NM/MP projects have, thus it stood out more as it's own thing. Not to say the second album wasn't good or wasn't it's own thing, but the debut hit a certain sweet spot the second one did not for me personally.

Agreed.  I like the second one a lot, but the first one just had that really special vibe about it.  And heck, the first even had two songs I flat-out do not care for (Shoulda Coulda Woulda and All Falls Down), and I still think it was pretty special. 

I'd be fine with the balance that the second one had, as long as they avoid nonsense like we heard at the end of Open Up Your Eyes. Leave that kind of self-indulgent "look at how fast we can play together" crap for other projects.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2341 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:58 AM »
As much as I do enjoy Open Up Your Eyes, it does feel like a sequence of rejected 'final choruses' for other songs.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #2342 on: September 25, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »
Bump

https://www.facebook.com/flyingcolorsofficial/photos/a.274616282601220.68378.173369602725889/1572776916118477/?type=3&theater

Hey folks! We're about to announce some recorded music from Flying Colors, but it's not the third album. Really. It's just a small something we think is cool, and hope you'll enjoy. Stay tuned!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2343 on: September 25, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
Bump

https://www.facebook.com/flyingcolorsofficial/photos/a.274616282601220.68378.173369602725889/1572776916118477/?type=3&theater

Hey folks! We're about to announce some recorded music from Flying Colors, but it's not the third album. Really. It's just a small something we think is cool, and hope you'll enjoy. Stay tuned!

:omg: :omg: :omg:

I wonder what this will be...maybe another live release, with all tracks from the first album?

Offline Adami

« Reply #2344 on: September 25, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »
I think it's a re-release of their first two albums with MP rapping over the entire thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com