Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386069 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #2240 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »
Mine was the same... I guess he was the only one they could get?!  :|

-Marc.

Dunno.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2241 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
Just for record purposes, I got the package the DAY BEFORE I got the shipping notice, and mine had only Dave's signature as well. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2242 on: November 11, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
Mine arrived Monday. Dave Larue was the only signature on the insert. Disappointing, but I couldn't remember what they said we were getting anyway. For some reason I thought it was a signed poster by the band. I got a poster, but it wasn't signed by anyone, so...

EDIT: But I watched the BR last night. It was awesome. Colder Months->Peaceful Harbor was super cool. I'll be listening to this for a while.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2243 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Just for record purposes, I got the package the DAY BEFORE I got the shipping notice, and mine had only Dave's signature as well. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline r0cken

« Reply #2244 on: November 12, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
I was just watching (again) the video for "The Fury of My Love", and thinking - how perfect it is, in every way. It's just this bunch of super-humans nonchalantly playing the most beautiful, accessible yet intelligent music I ever heard.
I mean you could replace the Avengers with Casey, Neal, Steve, Dave and Mike, and Ultron would just, like, surrender at the first notes of that solo at 3:30.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
I was just watching (again) the video for "The Fury of My Love", and thinking - how perfect it is, in every way. It's just this bunch of super-humans nonchalantly playing the most beautiful, accessible yet intelligent music I ever heard.
I mean you could replace the Avengers with Casey, Neal, Steve, Dave and Mike, and Ultron would just, like, surrender at the first notes of that solo at 3:30.
They really do deserve super stardom. I wish they'd tour extensively so I could see them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2246 on: December 30, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »
I got both live video releases for Christmas.

They are both fantastic.  Watching them within a day or three of each other, I was struck by how much more at ease Casey was with his bandmates in the second.  Which is to be expected, I suppose.

Also, Dave LaRue is the man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2247 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
My favorite Blu-Ray concert of the year.  They sound so damn good live.  The harmonies are unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2248 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
Wow, I forgot this even existed.  Have to get it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2249 on: December 30, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Yes.

Yes you do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2250 on: December 30, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
They really do deserve super stardom. I wish they'd tour extensively so I could see them.

I have a man crush on his voice!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2251 on: March 21, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
From Neal's Inner Circle Newsletter today:

Miracle of Miracles! A tentative writing and recording gathering has been called for later on this year.  I am super excited that something is on the books for a 3rd record of this amazing, special group of men. 

Looks like a third FC album will be in the works later this year, which likely means a 2017 release for the next album!!! I'm excited to see what these five come up with this time, though I kind of wish they'd get another outside producer, not that the stuff on Second Nature was BAD, but it wasn't QUITE fresh when it comes to music that is generally associated with the band's five members.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2252 on: March 21, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
Second Nature had some good moments, but didn't do much for me. I get the feeling that the outside producer on the debut helped reign them in a bit, because the other album felt a lot less focused.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2253 on: March 21, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »
While I defended the second album, I do hope that they go back to an outside producer to keep most of the songs short and concise like on the first album.  I still like Second Nature quite a bit, but after a while, it did sort of feel like they tried to prog it up a bit too much, unlike the first, where the focus was obviously on songs and not stretching them out needlessly at all.  The end of Open Up Your Eyes is still an utter travesty; I still need to make a more concise edit of that one.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2254 on: March 21, 2016, 08:52:21 PM »
The entire Open Your Eyes is a mess, it had no business being on the album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2255 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:25 AM »
Second Nature is hard for me to listen to it as an album. Open Up Your Eyes is the main reason, it's too long.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2256 on: March 22, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »
While I defended the second album, I do hope that they go back to an outside producer to keep most of the songs short and concise like on the first album.  I still like Second Nature quite a bit, but after a while, it did sort of feel like they tried to prog it up a bit too much, unlike the first, where the focus was obviously on songs and not stretching them out needlessly at all.  The end of Open Up Your Eyes is still an utter travesty; I still need to make a more concise edit of that one.
I agree with every single word.

The new album needs more songs like Kayla, Love is what I'm waiting for and Forever in a daze and less songs like Open up your eyes.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2257 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
Second Nature is hard for me to listen to it as an album. Open Up Your Eyes is the main reason, it's too long.

I agree which is why I deleted it from my phone. That being said, the rest of the album is amazing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: March 22, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
I like both albums a lot but agree they should go with an outside producer. Also, I'm not getting excited until they actually meet and start recording. It's 5 guys who usually have a lot on their plate
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2259 on: March 22, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
Not entirely sure about the outside producer thing - apart from Open Your Eyes, which simply doesn't fit on the album, Second Nature is fantastic and equal to the debut.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2260 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:08 AM »
I think the point some of us are making is that the first album focused more on keeping things concise.  There are four songs under four minutes on the debut record; there are no songs under four minutes on the second, and in fact, every song on the second album is over five minutes, but one. Now, as a prog fan, I obviously don't mind longer tunes :lol, but again, the debut had this really cool charm about it, hearing these prog guys do a bunch of short, catchy songs, all of which packed major punches in small packages.

I was on your side when the album first dropped, but nowadays, I go back to the first album way more than the second. I still like the second quite a bit (although Bombs Away is a snore-a-thon and Open Up Your Eyes is maddening since it has great parts, but way too much padding), but the first is just better all-around, IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2261 on: March 22, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »
I love the second album.  Yeah, it's different than the first one.

What would the reactions have been if it was the same? 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2262 on: March 22, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
It doesn't have to be the same. I have a felling they could have gone to a lot more places had they stuck to their pop sensibilities. However, they decided to go with the sound that was familiar to them and stuck with the prog aspect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2263 on: March 22, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
I think the point some of us are making is that the first album focused more on keeping things concise. 

I don't know that it "focused" on anything.  I think they just wrote, and the shorter songs happened to be the result.  I could be wrong, but I've never read anywhere that they consciously made a decision to go for certain song lengths.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2264 on: March 22, 2016, 09:22:06 AM »
I think the point some of us are making is that the first album focused more on keeping things concise.  There are four songs under four minutes on the debut record; there are no songs under four minutes on the second, and in fact, every song on the second album is over five minutes, but one. Now, as a prog fan, I obviously don't mind longer tunes :lol, but again, the debut had this really cool charm about it, hearing these prog guys do a bunch of short, catchy songs, all of which packed major punches in small packages.

I was on your side when the album first dropped, but nowadays, I go back to the first album way more than the second. I still like the second quite a bit (although Bombs Away is a snore-a-thon and Open Up Your Eyes is maddening since it has great parts, but way too much padding), but the first is just better all-around, IMO.
Just to point out that shorter =/= concise. In my opinion, nothing on Second Nature (apart from Open Your Eyes) feels dragged out or too long. Even the longer songs at the end are such because they contain slow build ups that are a huge part of makes them so great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2265 on: March 22, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »

I agree which is why I deleted it from my phone. That being said, the rest of the album is amazing.

If it was closer towards the end or in the middle, I'd probably enjoy it more. The rest of the album does have good songs though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2266 on: March 22, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
Cosmic Symphony is my favorite song by them, and probably one of my favorite 'prog rock' songs from the past 4 years or so.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: March 22, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »

yiss

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2268 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Fuggn' A. 2017 can't get here soon enough.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2269 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Sweet! I've enjoyed their first two albums, looking forward to this for sure!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2270 on: March 22, 2016, 11:47:52 AM »
I guess my point is that I listen to the first album way more than the second, and I'd like to see them return to the style of the first record on the third. That's really it. :big grin:

Regardless, the next album of theirs is still an auto-buy for me. :coolio

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2271 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Phwoar! More FC! Woo!

Love the first one. Second one sags in the middle a bit for me but Cosmic Symphony rocks my world. The "I'm neither more I'm neither less..." part is up there with my favourite prog moments.

Gives me as much joy as SB and TA, pound for pound.  :P
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2272 on: March 22, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
Phwoar! More FC! Woo!

Love the first one. Second one sags in the middle a bit for me but Cosmic Symphony rocks my world. The "I'm neither more I'm neither less..." part is up there with my favourite prog moments.

Gives me as much joy as SB and TA, pound for pound:P
I see what you did there.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2273 on: March 22, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
I like both, the first maybe a little bit more, but then Cosmic Symphony is one of the best tracks in recent prog and I don't even mind Open Your Eyes.

So bring on a new one. Flying Colors is, for me, the most exciting project where MP is involved. And also where Neil Morse is involved.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2274 on: March 22, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
I don't know that I prefer one over the other; I think there is more that I like on the second, but then again...

Kayla is still one of my favorite songs of all time by any band.

The Storm is still one of my favorite Portnoy moments in his career.   When Casey is singing the chorus and Mike is playing that "rat-a-tat" figure - "the storm" and then when the band sings "and all our pain will be washed away" he switches (I don't drum, so I don't know the term, is it a "straight four"?) to a less syncopated, more "smooth" rhythm reflecting the song.... talk about playing to the music.   It's just about perfect for me.   

He does the same thing in the build up to the solo as well.    Fucking A. 

So either way, I'll take a third helping of this.