Author Topic: Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
Re: Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
Well, Considering you're a christian that denies the day of the Lord; I want to know how you would answer those questions biblically.

It's on topic because it is, how is it not on topic?

EDIT: Jamesman can answer too. there you go J v H as well to make it more relevant.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:50:08 AM by Philawallafox »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
New Testament, but straight from the Savior's mouth:

"This day you shall be with me in paradise."

Jesus' words to the man next to him on a cross, before Jesus' death. What of this verse, heffather6*7?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »

Jesus' words to the man next to him on a cross, before Jesus' death. What of this verse, heffather6*7?
I always thought that verse was interesting.  It means that when Christ died he when to the Abraham's bosom side of Hell (in my opinion).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

I always thought that verse was interesting.  It means that when Christ died he when to the Abraham's bosom side of Hell (in my opinion).

I'm not sure if you have some typos in that, but I have no idea what this means.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

I'm not sure if you have some typos in that, but I have no idea what this means.
I tihnk James and hef get it, but basically....

When old testament saints died, they didn't go to heaven--they went to Hell.  But Hell is not entirely comprised of torturous fire.  It's actually divided into two sections--Abraham's bosom, and Hades.  Hades is the side with the fire and stuff.  Abraham's bosom is the nice side, and is basically a holding tank for the saints before the cross.  Once Christ died, those saints' sins were taken care of, and then they could go to heaven.

Not that this has anything to do with the topic.  Just kind of an aside.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
I would caution anyone trying to formulate a chronology of afterlife events.  as stated earlier, we are trying to understand a spiritual realm with a physical mind.  for one thing, the spiritual realm is outside of time.  when we try to chronologize the afterlife events, we are trying to pigeon hole them into time.  we are wiser to simply agree with the point of the teachings on the afterlife (ie. there is one and it ought to cause us to live soberly and righteously).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »
I would caution anyone trying to formulate a chronology of afterlife events.  as stated earlier, we are trying to understand a spiritual realm with a physical mind.  for one thing, the spiritual realm is outside of time.  when we try to chronologize the afterlife events, we are trying to pigeon hole them into time.  we are wiser to simply agree with the point of the teachings on the afterlife (ie. there is one and it ought to cause us to live soberly and righteously).

Good point. Really, I am interested in their mere existence.

So preacher man, what do you believe?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »
Another thread derailed by boobs.

And it wasn't even CountVoorhees this time.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »

Good point. Really, I am interested in their mere existence.

So preacher man, what do you believe?

I agree with Jesus :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
What leads you to believe that the afterlife is outside of time?

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »

hmmm...good question, I will have to think that through.  I guess I assumed it was a given, but thinking about it, maybe it isn't.  off the top of my head I think of Gen 1:1.  "In the beginning" implies that there was something before time, but this is when "time" began

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »

hmmm...good question, I will have to think that through.  I guess I assumed it was a given, but thinking about it, maybe it isn't.  off the top of my head I think of Gen 1:1.  "In the beginning" implies that there was something before time, but this is when "time" began

I think it would be awesome if the bible had started with "once upon a time". Then you guys could argue about what could possibly stand on top of time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 04:57:22 AM »
Could you please give a biblical explanation of what Christianity is?
I don't believe the Bible is divinely inspired like you do.  But I would say that Christianity is faith in Jesus as the definitive manifestation of God.

Define concisely what the Good News is. You should answer this with refference to Mark 1:1 et al
I don't see what Mark 1:1 necessarily has to do with anything, but the Good News is that God is real and can be experienced in your everyday life.

Define why people should become a Christian. Included in this answer you should define the hope of the Christian life.
People should become Christian so that their lives can be enriched by a relationship with the Spirit of God as expressed through Jesus.  Life is more with this faith.

Define what the importance of Jesus death on the cross.
Jesus was executed by the powers of this world, the domination system as manifest in the rule of the Roman Empire.  His resurrection showed that God is more powerful than the ways of the world, and thus Jesus was justified.  Therefore, we can proclaim (as they would have back then) that Jesus is Lord, and Caesar is NOT (Caesar representing the powers of this world).

Explain how Zechariah was not talking about Jesus and then why we should ignore his apocalypse.
WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 05:34:43 AM »
I don't know if you intend for it, but if life is here and then gone and then there is nothing else, why should I worship the Most High? What does it matter?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
I don't know if you intend for it, but if life is here and then gone and then there is nothing else, why should I worship the Most High? What does it matter?
What did it matter for Moses?  Or David?  Or Solomon?

BTW, I'm not saying there is definitely no existence beyond this life.  There very well may be, and I hope that there is.  I just don't think there is a Heaven for the in-crowd, and a Hell of eternal punishment for the outsiders.  That is my thrust here. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »
Hef - A thought occurred to me.

From what I can tell, your view of God, Christianity, and the Bible are based on a large variety of extra-Biblical sources.  It's difficult enough to resolve the Bible's own internal contradictions.  I think for a lot of people in this thread, it's near impossible to understand the Bible outside of historical context they aren't aware of.

Jamesman mentioned the passage where Jesus tells the thief they will meet again in paradise.  By itself, that seems to be clear evidence for the existence of heaven in some form.  So why isn't that valid?  In the historical context the Bible was written, is it too likely that line was inserted by someone with an agenda?

I have no idea, and I think that applies to most people, even Christians unfortunately.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 08:41:04 PM »
Could you please give a biblical explanation of what Christianity is?
I don't believe the Bible is divinely inspired like you do.  But I would say that Christianity is faith in Jesus as the definitive manifestation of God.

I know you don't but the bible is the only reliable source for describing Christianity, surely you can agree on that? Surely you can agree that it's better to look to the primary text for the best explanation of what we believe?

Also, could you explain what you mean by definitive manifestation?

I would have said something along the lines of "The belief that Jesus was the Son of God (both God and Man) and that he died our deaths so that we might live. (Because we were/are dead in our sins) He rose again to prove that he had conquered Sin and Death and was the first fruits of the Kingdom of God." but that's long and convoluted because I'm trying to fit alot into a short statement.
Define concisely what the Good News is. You should answer this with refference to Mark 1:1 et al
I don't see what Mark 1:1 necessarily has to do with anything, but the Good News is that God is real and can be experienced in your everyday life.

Mark 1:1 says "The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God" It's probably the most explicit reference to the good news about Jesus. That's what I was trying to point you towards because there's alot of good news out there obviously.

Interestingly the word we translate in the NIV to "good news" is euangelion it's the word we get "gospel" from. (The romans translated it to "evangelium" the robbers, as if stealing the greek's gods weren't enough, they had to steal the language too?) When a king/country/Lord/whatever went to war and won there would be heralds who would proclaim the victory in the street to demonstrate the might and power of the sovereign which they represented. so it's really "...good news of the victory won by Jesus Christ, the Son of God" and with that in mind...Why would Mark seem to think there was a war and why Jesus (who  had died on the cross) had won?

That leads me to this answer I guess. The Gospel (or good news) is That Jesus died. He died to conquer death. He died to conquer death because death is the symptom of sin (Gen 3:15) and sin currently rules in this world. Jesus conquered the ruler of this world. That is my view of what the gospel is. What do you think about it?

Define why people should become a Christian. Included in this answer you should define the hope of the Christian life.
People should become Christian so that their lives can be enriched by a relationship with the Spirit of God as expressed through Jesus.  Life is more with this faith.

I don't think I've heard of this before, where'd you get it from? Why don't you believe that Christianity is about after death? I mean, it's what all the early christians believed. Divinely inspired scriptures or not, they thought that was what Jesus taught them. These were guys who had conversed with Jesus himself AND had the Holy Spirit. You think they got it wrong?

Jesus was executed by the powers of this world, the domination system as manifest in the rule of the Roman Empire.  His resurrection showed that God is more powerful than the ways of the world, and thus Jesus was justified.  Therefore, we can proclaim (as they would have back then) that Jesus is Lord, and Caesar is NOT (Caesar representing the powers of this world).

That's another answer you've worded interestingly. So you believe that the people who killed Jesus are a metaphor for the whole world? Does this mean that there is something bigger than us that rules the world (like what I said in the above response) and dominates it? I dunno, I'm a little confused, I've never heard it described like that.

Explain how Zechariah was not talking about Jesus and then why we should ignore his apocalypse.
WTF

This is pretty simple really. Matthew quotes Zechariah 9:9 directly. (Mt 21:5) It's just one xplicit reference to Zechariah. I'm saying if that part should be regarded as biblical (and therefore true) we should regard the whole book as true because it's the same book. So we look at Zechariah's apocalyptic stuff and look forward to the instatement of the Kingdom of God which will be like Eden again.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
hef, I was thinking about this tonight while taking a break from my studies...

Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose again 3 days later?
Does that not relate to some way about an afterlife, about death being defeated at the cross?

And I still do not see a satisfactory reason to follow Jesus if there is only this world to live in. It's not to sound greedy and want a reward, but realistically and technically, if there is no consequence of my actions from an eternal perspective, then why bother trying to live for God? Surely you see this dilemma?

BTW, my brain is fried and don't feel like proofreading this post, so hopefully that made sense...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
Hef - A thought occurred to me.

From what I can tell, your view of God, Christianity, and the Bible are based on a large variety of extra-Biblical sources.
???  I'm not a Mormon.  When have I cited extra-biblical sources?

It's difficult enough to resolve the Bible's own internal contradictions.  I think for a lot of people in this thread, it's near impossible to understand the Bible outside of historical context they aren't aware of.
They should become aware of the historical context in which it was written.  That's always a good start.  But the internal contradictions are where a lot of this started.

Jamesman mentioned the passage where Jesus tells the thief they will meet again in paradise.  By itself, that seems to be clear evidence for the existence of heaven in some form.  So why isn't that valid?  In the historical context the Bible was written, is it too likely that line was inserted by someone with an agenda?
I don't know that I would use the word "agenda."  But the passage isn't proof of anything, unless you are a believer that the Bible is the inspired word of God.  The only thing it really proves is that the author of Luke thought it should be included.  Luke was not an eyewitness to the event, and someone correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a Bible here with me at work), but I don't think the passage is found in any of the other Gospels.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »

Does that not relate to some way about an afterlife, about death being defeated at the cross?
I believe that Jesus died on the cross.  I believe that is now living, and was experienced as such by his followers after his crucifixion.  I do not believe in the literal truth of the 3 day timeframe, but I think the Easter story is powerfully true nonetheless.  And yes, it may have some relation with an afterlife (although I don't think that is its primary purpose).  Again, my main point was that I don't believe in Hell.

And I still do not see a satisfactory reason to follow Jesus if there is only this world to live in. It's not to sound greedy and want a reward, but realistically and technically, if there is no consequence of my actions from an eternal perspective, then why bother trying to live for God? Surely you see this dilemma?
No, I don't see the dilemma.  Don't you experience God as a reality here and now?  Don't you believe in the power of prayer?  Haven't you felt the Spirit of God move in your life, and in the lives of those around you?

And you never responded to my question about what you thought that Moses or David got out of their relationship with God.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
Phil, I don't have time to get to yours right now.  Later.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »
No worries Hef. Take your time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »
the bible is the only reliable source for describing Christianity, surely you can agree on that?
I don't agree with the way you're wording it, but I think I agree with what you meant by that.  I think.

Surely you can agree that it's better to look to the primary text for the best explanation of what we believe?
It's better to look to the primary text to properly delineate what the authors of the text believed.  But I think the decision on whether or not to believe what they believed depends on more than just the words they wrote (they wrote it, therefore I must believe it!).

Probably not.  :lol

I would have said something along the lines of "The belief that Jesus was the Son of God (both God and Man) and that he died our deaths so that we might live. (Because we were/are dead in our sins) He rose again to prove that he had conquered Sin and Death and was the first fruits of the Kingdom of God." but that's long and convoluted because I'm trying to fit alot into a short statement.
Yes, I know you would have said something along those lines.  So would the vast majority of Christians I know.  But that is a lot more orthodox than I am willing to be.

Interestingly the word we translate in the NIV to "good news" is euangelion it's the word we get "gospel" from. (The romans translated it to "evangelium" the robbers, as if stealing the greek's gods weren't enough, they had to steal the language too?) When a king/country/Lord/whatever went to war and won there would be heralds who would proclaim the victory in the street to demonstrate the might and power of the sovereign which they represented. so it's really "...good news of the victory won by Jesus Christ, the Son of God" and with that in mind...Why would Mark seem to think there was a war and why Jesus (who  had died on the cross) had won?
I don't know that this is how Mark meant the term.  Just because kings used the term that way doesn't necessarily mean that Mark used it that way.  Of course, it's possible that he did.  But even if so, his opinion on what it meant is still just his opinion.

That leads me to this answer I guess. The Gospel (or good news) is That Jesus died. He died to conquer death. He died to conquer death because death is the symptom of sin (Gen 3:15) and sin currently rules in this world. Jesus conquered the ruler of this world. That is my view of what the gospel is. What do you think about it?
I think that I can mostly agree with you on a figurative or metaphorical level, but not on the literal level that you intend it.

I don't think I've heard of this before, where'd you get it from?
The wording is original, but it represents a sum total of a lot of different things.

Why don't you believe that Christianity is about after death? I mean, it's what all the early christians believed. Divinely inspired scriptures or not, they thought that was what Jesus taught them. These were guys who had conversed with Jesus himself AND had the Holy Spirit. You think they got it wrong?
I don't think that any of the people who actually conversed with Jesus wrote any of the Biblical texts, but that's neither here nor there.  Do I think they got it wrong?  Well, I think they are a product of their culture and times.  By the time of the first century CE, there was a belief among many (but not all) Jews in a form of afterlife in a bodily resurrection.  Paul speaks of this as well, which makes sense, since he was a Pharisee, and that belief was chiefly among them.  However, the Christian vision of afterlife, including a Hell from which all men need saving, and the only thing that can save them is a correct understanding of and belief in the person of Jesus, IS NOT CONSISTENT WITH anything taught in the Old Testament.  It is relatively easy to track the development of this belief.

I think they wrote about what they actually believed.  So, I don't think they were lying.  But I don't think their belief in this area was accurate.  If it was accurate, then the children of Israel shouldn't have been instructed to enter the Promised Land and destroy the Canaanites - they should have evangelized and attempted to convert them.  But such a teaching was NEVER part of the religion of ancient Israel.  So, did God get it wrong with his initial instructions to the Israelites?  Or did humanity get it wrong as they went along, like they do with every other phase of human life as we know it?

That's another answer you've worded interestingly.
Thanks.  :biggrin:

So you believe that the people who killed Jesus are a metaphor for the whole world?
Not exactly.  I would word it that what is wrong with the world was made a perfect example of by what happened to Jesus.

Does this mean that there is something bigger than us that rules the world (like what I said in the above response) and dominates it?
Not a personal force, a la Satan.  Not in my opinion.  But human nature is bad enough as it is, there is no need to blame things on a Satan.

I dunno, I'm a little confused, I've never heard it described like that.
Do you mean the term "domination system"?  It's not really a religious term, but rather a socio-economic one.  It refers to forms of government in which the many are completely subjugated to the will of the few.  The depiction of God as a God of righteousness and justice in the Bible puts him at odds with domination systems again and again.  Here is a link to a neat little blog post that might also be informative. https://mysticalseeker.blogspot.com/2006/07/domination-system.html

WTF

This is pretty simple really. Matthew quotes Zechariah 9:9 directly. (Mt 21:5) It's just one xplicit reference to Zechariah. I'm saying if that part should be regarded as biblical (and therefore true) we should regard the whole book as true because it's the same book. So we look at Zechariah's apocalyptic stuff and look forward to the instatement of the Kingdom of God which will be like Eden again.
OK.  First of all, in no way do I agree with the proposal that if something is Biblical, it is therefore true.

Secondly, Zechariah is an odd bird of a book to begin with.  It is divided into two distinctly separate parts.  Chapters 1-8 (also known among scholars as Proto-Zechariah) is the work of the prophet Zechariah, whose prophecies date from around 520-518 BCE.  However, for many reasons, most scholars view chapters 9-14 to be a later addition to the original text. 

Thirdly, this is a good example of how the narratives of Jesus that eventually became Christian doctrine were initially devised.  Matthew is not describing an actual event in the life of Jesus.  He is inserting into his depiction of Jesus's life a story he based on this passage from Zechariah.  This is seen by his complete misunderstanding of the writing style of the passage.  Matthew depicts Jesus riding into Jerusalem while straddling a donkey and a colt.  However, Zechariah isn't talking about two different animals; he is using the well-known and common Jewish writing convention known as parallelism (stating the same thing twice, in two subtly different ways); Zechariah was writing about one animal, not two.  Note that the other three Gospel writers correctly described Jesus entering Jerusalem on one animal, not straddling two (even though only John makes the explicit reference to the prophecy).  Also note how in each story, Jesus went out of his way to make sure that "prophecy" came true.  That says more about Jesus than about Zechariah.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 11:48:36 PM »
Hef I have a question.

Quite often Jesus endorses/quotes old testament scripture as if it were true.  What do you make of that?  Did he really endorse it?  Or was that edited in?

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »
the bible is the only reliable source for describing Christianity, surely you can agree on that?
I don't agree with the way you're wording it, but I think I agree with what you meant by that.  I think.

I'm saying that the bible is the Primary text. I'm saying that as the primary text we should treat it as such. The people who wrote it were close enough to be corrected, they were accurate and they weren't self serving.

Surely you can agree that it's better to look to the primary text for the best explanation of what we believe?
It's better to look to the primary text to properly delineate what the authors of the text believed.  But I think the decision on whether or not to believe what they believed depends on more than just the words they wrote (they wrote it, therefore I must believe it!).

It's not so much a matter of what they believed as what happened. The Bible places itself in history and is thus historically accountable. You'll find that even non christian historians wont deny the historicity of the bible, they'll just stay agnostic about it.

Probably not.  :lol

:rollin
Yes, I know you would have said something along those lines.  So would the vast majority of Christians I know.  But that is a lot more orthodox than I am willing to be.

What's wrong with being Orthodox? Surely orthodox Christians who trace their orthodoxy back to the inception of Christianity (with Christ) who are the majority must be right? (Yes I know this is an argument of "everyone says so therefore it must be right". However I see no reason to believe that Luke in fact wrote Luke and Mark wrote his gospel etc.)
I don't know that this is how Mark meant the term.  Just because kings used the term that way doesn't necessarily mean that Mark used it that way.  Of course, it's possible that he did.  But even if so, his opinion on what it meant is still just his opinion.

That's your way of saying he's wrong and stupid. It's a despicable argument tactic.

Of course he meant it that way. It was purposefully written there. Greeks are not ambiguous. Just look at their grammar. He meant exactly what he wrote. Look at the end of his book (original ending) it ends with the resurrection. Jesus conquered death and sin. The story ends how it begins so to speak.

I think that I can mostly agree with you on a figurative or metaphorical level, but not on the literal level that you intend it.

And why's that?

I don't think I've heard of this before, where'd you get it from?
The wording is original, but it represents a sum total of a lot of different things.

What are the different things?

Why don't you believe that Christianity is about after death? I mean, it's what all the early christians believed. Divinely inspired scriptures or not, they thought that was what Jesus taught them. These were guys who had conversed with Jesus himself AND had the Holy Spirit. You think they got it wrong?
I don't think that any of the people who actually conversed with Jesus wrote any of the Biblical texts, but that's neither here nor there.  Do I think they got it wrong?  Well, I think they are a product of their culture and times.  By the time of the first century CE, there was a belief among many (but not all) Jews in a form of afterlife in a bodily resurrection.  Paul speaks of this as well, which makes sense, since he was a Pharisee, and that belief was chiefly among them.  However, the Christian vision of afterlife, including a Hell from which all men need saving, and the only thing that can save them is a correct understanding of and belief in the person of Jesus, IS NOT CONSISTENT WITH anything taught in the Old Testament.  It is relatively easy to track the development of this belief.

I think they wrote about what they actually believed.  So, I don't think they were lying.  But I don't think their belief in this area was accurate.  If it was accurate, then the children of Israel shouldn't have been instructed to enter the Promised Land and destroy the Canaanites - they should have evangelized and attempted to convert them.  But such a teaching was NEVER part of the religion of ancient Israel.  So, did God get it wrong with his initial instructions to the Israelites?  Or did humanity get it wrong as they went along, like they do with every other phase of human life as we know it?

The belief in the afterlife was actually around before Jesus. Just so you know. The pharisees didn't pop up out of nowhere when Jesus started preaching. They along with the zealots (I think) believed in the afterlife and were around a couple of hundred years before Jesus. The only source they had for an afterlife was the Tanak. In fact the Pharisees were so infatuated with the tanak (which had been closed from at least the third century BC when they started translating it into greek in the LXX. Along with that there were even scholars of the time before Jesus that believed in a trinitarian God or at least dinitarian.) that they wore it and memorised it. They breathed Tanak. The Pharisees and the scribes were synonymous.

There was also a "day of the Lord" which was talked about where everyone would be judged.This is why the Jews were so proud of their lineage and snobs to the Samaritans who had intermarried. They thought that by being able to trace their family back purely they would be saved by being part of God's chosen few.

That's another answer you've worded interestingly.
Thanks.  :biggrin:

:-\
So you believe that the people who killed Jesus are a metaphor for the whole world?
Not exactly.  I would word it that what is wrong with the world was made a perfect example of by what happened to Jesus.

And you would be right. But you neglect to define what is wrong with the world. You also neglect to delineate the consequences of there being something wrong with the world.

Does this mean that there is something bigger than us that rules the world (like what I said in the above response) and dominates it?
Not a personal force, a la Satan.  Not in my opinion.  But human nature is bad enough as it is, there is no need to blame things on a Satan.

I was thinking more along the lines of Sin. Satan is the Prince of this world still but I was thinking that sin is what is wrong with this world. It tarnishes everything and even the earth is groaning under it. sin is what drives our every decision and what separates us from God. Satan just helps sin along as bnest he can. Sin is our attitude to serve ourself first.

I dunno, I'm a little confused, I've never heard it described like that.
Do you mean the term "domination system"?  It's not really a religious term, but rather a socio-economic one.  It refers to forms of government in which the many are completely subjugated to the will of the few.  The depiction of God as a God of righteousness and justice in the Bible puts him at odds with domination systems again and again.  Here is a link to a neat little blog post that might also be informative. https://mysticalseeker.blogspot.com/2006/07/domination-system.html

I think I get it now. So, Do you view Christianity as more of a socio political movement than God choosing his people to be set apart from the rest of the world?

Is this why you don't believe in the afterlife? Is it because you think that Christianity is for the people and Jesus has already instated the kingdom of God?

So I think that this means that the difference between us is that I believe that there is injustice in the world and that God can and will fix it. However my theological leanings determine that i look for that to come at the day of the Lord and in the mean time I try and be as much gospel focused as I can, whereas you don't believe that there is anything past this life and Jesus isn't going to come back so you are working to change the world (an honourable attitude) as it is.

Question: Why do you think Humans - which are flawed - can fix the world?

WTF

OK.  First of all, in no way do I agree with the proposal that if something is Biblical, it is therefore true.

Secondly, Zechariah is an odd bird of a book to begin with.  It is divided into two distinctly separate parts.  Chapters 1-8 (also known among scholars as Proto-Zechariah) is the work of the prophet Zechariah, whose prophecies date from around 520-518 BCE.  However, for many reasons, most scholars view chapters 9-14 to be a later addition to the original text. 

Thirdly, this is a good example of how the narratives of Jesus that eventually became Christian doctrine were initially devised.  Matthew is not describing an actual event in the life of Jesus.  He is inserting into his depiction of Jesus's life a story he based on this passage from Zechariah.  This is seen by his complete misunderstanding of the writing style of the passage.  Matthew depicts Jesus riding into Jerusalem while straddling a donkey and a colt.  However, Zechariah isn't talking about two different animals; he is using the well-known and common Jewish writing convention known as parallelism (stating the same thing twice, in two subtly different ways); Zechariah was writing about one animal, not two.  Note that the other three Gospel writers correctly described Jesus entering Jerusalem on one animal, not straddling two (even though only John makes the explicit reference to the prophecy).  Also note how in each story, Jesus went out of his way to make sure that "prophecy" came true.  That says more about Jesus than about Zechariah.

You know, Jesus said, go and get this mule, it will be here in this person's yard. He didn't say "Oh look a Mule". and a colt of a donkey is called a mule dupkis. Matthew didn't say he rode in on two things, he said Jesus rode in on a mule. It's still a donkey but it's the colt child of a donkey, known as a MULE. It's a tautology. like "therefore and hitherto" "here and now" "omnipotently all powerful"

Yeah, Jesus knew about Zechariah's prohpechy. He also knew Isaiah's prophecy. He opened his ministry reading from Isaiah. He ended his ministry quoting from Psalms on the cross. That doesn't mean it's therefore negated as prophecy. Jesus had to fulfil the prophecy to confirm to the spectators that he was the messiah. Actually, have a look at Isaiah. You'll see OODLES of messianic prophecy. Only a small amount of messianic prophecy is actually stuff you can consciously fulfil.

I don't know why you think a prophet can't switch between Prophecy and Apolcalyptic text. It's not like he has to be profoundly different and his message is still the same. He just uses a different style of language. I think it's rather arrogant to say that critical scholars think they can just chop books up to get "the real purpose" of the book when to get the real purpose of the book you should be viewing the whole text as a unit. Would you say that James Joyce didn't write Ulysses because of the difference in use of punctuation from the start to the end? The third section of the book completely neglects punctuation.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
Brother, He denies that the people who wrote the bible didn't actually meet Jesus and therefore can't be trusted when they quote him.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:28 AM »

I believe that Jesus died on the cross.  I believe that is now living, and was experienced as such by his followers after his crucifixion.  I do not believe in the literal truth of the 3 day timeframe, but I think the Easter story is powerfully true nonetheless.  And yes, it may have some relation with an afterlife (although I don't think that is its primary purpose).  Again, my main point was that I don't believe in Hell.

Why do you not believe the 3 day time frame?

The primary purpose of the cross is the cleansing of our sins. But why should we be cleansed of sin if, when we die,  there is no Hell. Like I've said, if I have choice between Heaven (or some sort of afterlife free of pain and living with God) or just ceasing to exist, does it really matter if I choose to give my life to the Most High? In either case, I will be free from pain in this world and can find "peace" in both, at least in the sense that I will no longer experience pain here on Earth.

No, I don't see the dilemma.  Don't you experience God as a reality here and now?  Don't you believe in the power of prayer?  Haven't you felt the Spirit of God move in your life, and in the lives of those around you?

I do experience God as a reality here and now, I believe in the power of prayer, and have felt the Spirit move many a time. But we all die, and, like I have said above, if what we do in this life does not matter insomuch as we are not judged on those actions, then who should bother trying to follow God? It would not matter. I could say "Screw you, Lord" and when death comes for me (and probably rather quickly after saying that), I would cease to exist. But what does that matter? As long as there is no more pain to look forward to, then I would live how I would want. But a coming judgment...that's completely different. That is motivating for my wicked soul.

And you never responded to my question about what you thought that Moses or David got out of their relationship with God.

Sorry, missed it before.

They got a lot of comfort and protection and guidance in their earthly lives from Him. They gained a lot of valuable time with the Lord. Interesting question that I would have to look into.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2010, 06:14:26 AM »
I'm saying that the bible is the Primary text. I'm saying that as the primary text we should treat it as such. The people who wrote it were close enough to be corrected, they were accurate and they weren't self serving.
Do you treat every other primary text from every other religious discipline as such?  Or, for that matter, every other primary text that ascribes supernatural deeds to historical figures?

It's not so much a matter of what they believed as what happened. The Bible places itself in history and is thus historically accountable. You'll find that even non christian historians wont deny the historicity of the bible, they'll just stay agnostic about it.
It is only historically accountable in instances where actions described in the Bible are also part of the historical record outside of the Bible, and can therefore be corroborated or contradicted.  Most of the events recorded in the Bible, including everything recorded about the words and deeds of Jesus, fall outside of the historical record.  So yes, it is a matter of what they believed.  Belief is the whole point of the gospels.

What's wrong with being Orthodox?
Nothing, on the face of it.  If it works for you, great, have at it.  But it doesn't work for me, and it doesn't work for a lot of other people, either.  Unfortuately, most of them wind up losing their faith, leave the church, and became atheists.

Surely orthodox Christians who trace their orthodoxy back to the inception of Christianity (with Christ) who are the majority must be right? (Yes I know this is an argument of "everyone says so therefore it must be right". However I see no reason to believe that Luke in fact wrote Luke and Mark wrote his gospel etc.)
You've already answered your own question.  I'm not going to comment any further than that.

That's your way of saying he's wrong and stupid. It's a despicable argument tactic.
DON'T put words in my mouth.  My way of saying he's wrong and stupid is saying "He's wrong and stupid."  I didn't say either one, and I used no despicable argument tactic.  Keep it civil or take a vacation.

My point was that just because kings used that phrase that way doesn't mean that the phrase wasn't ever used any way except that way.  Was there never any good news in the ancient world except that a king had conquered a foe?  There was never any other good news? 

The way they used it isn't necessarily the way that Mark had intended it.  That's all that I was saying.

Of course he meant it that way. It was purposefully written there. Greeks are not ambiguous. Just look at their grammar. He meant exactly what he wrote. Look at the end of his book (original ending) it ends with the resurrection. Jesus conquered death and sin. The story ends how it begins so to speak.
OK, whatever.

And why's that?
Because of arguments you won't accept and will grill me for.

What are the different things?
Things that won't make sense to you and don't fit into your worldview and for which you will further persecute me.

The belief in the afterlife was actually around before Jesus. Just so you know. The pharisees didn't pop up out of nowhere when Jesus started preaching. They along with the zealots (I think) believed in the afterlife and were around a couple of hundred years before Jesus.
Yes, I know.  Don't insult my intelligence.  I have said over and over again that the belief in an afterlife was a relatively late development in the history of Israel.  Are you also aware that the Pharisees were a relatively small group within Judaism?  And that the Sadducees NEVER accepted a belief in an afterlife?  That was because they understood that such a belief was not original to Judaism, but a later development.

The only source they had for an afterlife was the Tanak.
And to which sections are you referring?

In fact the Pharisees were so infatuated with the tanak (which had been closed from at least the third century BC when they started translating it into greek in the LXX. Along with that there were even scholars of the time before Jesus that believed in a trinitarian God or at least dinitarian.) that they wore it and memorised it. They breathed Tanak.
Please show me some evidence of Jews that believed in a trinitarian or dinitarian God.

The Pharisees and the scribes were synonymous.
That's not necessarily true.

There was also a "day of the Lord" which was talked about where everyone would be judged.
The "day of the Lord" mentioned in the prophets is not coequal with the Judgement Day of Christian thought.  They describe the Lord as a divine warrior and are about the destruction of Israel's enemies or as a warning of destruction to Israel itself.  It doesn't have anything to do with judging all the peoples of the earth and sending the true believers to Heaven and the non-believers of Hell.  Which is the only thing I've been talking about, once again.

This is why the Jews were so proud of their lineage and snobs to the Samaritans who had intermarried. They thought that by being able to trace their family back purely they would be saved by being part of God's chosen few.
There are many reasons that the Jews and Samaritans despised each other, but the afterlife was not one of them.

And you would be right. But you neglect to define what is wrong with the world. You also neglect to delineate the consequences of there being something wrong with the world.
I don't think there is anything mystical or supernatural wrong with the world.

I was thinking more along the lines of Sin. Satan is the Prince of this world still but I was thinking that sin is what is wrong with this world. It tarnishes everything and even the earth is groaning under it. sin is what drives our every decision and what separates us from God. Satan just helps sin along as bnest he can. Sin is our attitude to serve ourself first.
I don't subscribe to the concept of "sin" as a supernatural or metaphysical problem in the world.  I accept "sin" as a synonym for human nature, and all of the problems associated with it.  Humans, left to their own devices, pretty much suck.

I think I get it now. So, Do you view Christianity as more of a socio political movement than God choosing his people to be set apart from the rest of the world?
I don't view it as only socio-political, but I think there is an inherent and important socio-political element to it that seems to be ignored by many Christians.

Is this why you don't believe in the afterlife? Is it because you think that Christianity is for the people and Jesus has already instated the kingdom of God?
I do think that when Jesus taught about the Kingdom of God, he was referring to life here for us and not an afterlife.  And again, I didn't say that I think there is no afterlife at all.  I said that I don't believe in a Hell to which non-believers are consigned.  Please stop misconstruing or misrepresenting what I say.

So I think that this means that the difference between us is that I believe that there is injustice in the world and that God can and will fix it. However my theological leanings determine that i look for that to come at the day of the Lord and in the mean time I try and be as much gospel focused as I can, whereas you don't believe that there is anything past this life and Jesus isn't going to come back so you are working to change the world (an honourable attitude) as it is.
That's not completely accurate, but it's close enough.

Question: Why do you think Humans - which are flawed - can fix the world?
I don't think they can on their own.  But if everyone were exposed to Jesus's kingdom teachings, and bought into them completely, then the world would definitely be changed.

You know, Jesus said, go and get this mule, it will be here in this person's yard. He didn't say "Oh look a Mule".
Yes, he knew where it (or, as in your example from Matthew specifically, they) would be and told his disciples to go and get them.  And he told them what to say if anyone said anything to them about taking the animals.  Ergo, according to this story, he made specific arrangements beforehand to ensure that he would be seen as "fulfilling a prophecy."

and a colt of a donkey is called a mule dupkis. Matthew didn't say he rode in on two things, he said Jesus rode in on a mule. It's still a donkey but it's the colt child of a donkey, known as a MULE. It's a tautology. like "therefore and hitherto" "here and now" "omnipotently all powerful"
That's  how Zechariah wrote it, sure, which I noted by saying it was parallelism, a common writing technique among the classical prophets.  But that's not how Matthew read it.

Mat 21:1  The Triumphal Entry 

Now when they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples,
Mat 21:2  telling them, "Go to the village ahead of you. Right away you will find a donkey tied there, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them to me.
Mat 21:3  If anyone says anything to you, you are to say, 'The Lord needs them,' and he will send them at once."
Mat 21:4  This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet:
Mat 21:5  "Tell the people of Zion,
   'Look, your king is coming to you,
   unassuming and seated on a donkey,
   and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.' "
Mat 21:6  So the disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them.
Mat 21:7  They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them, and he sat on them.

I used the New English Translation for this example, but check whatever version you desire.  Matthew got it wrong.  Of course, if he was divinely inspired, and his writing was literally and factually true, he wouldn't have been ABLE to get it wrong, but hey, that's not a problem for me since I don't believe in divine inspiration of the Bible anyway.  It's OK to me that he got it wrong.

Yeah, Jesus knew about Zechariah's prohpechy. He also knew Isaiah's prophecy. He opened his ministry reading from Isaiah. He ended his ministry quoting from Psalms on the cross. That doesn't mean it's therefore negated as prophecy. Jesus had to fulfil the prophecy to confirm to the spectators that he was the messiah. Actually, have a look at Isaiah. You'll see OODLES of messianic prophecy. Only a small amount of messianic prophecy is actually stuff you can consciously fulfil.
Yes, that is the standard Christian viewpoint.  Of course, another viewpoint is that the earliest Christians used things from the Hebrew Scriptures that didn't have anything to do with "predicting a Messiah" and shaped them into the depiction of Jesus's life.

I don't know why you think a prophet can't switch between Prophecy and Apolcalyptic text. It's not like he has to be profoundly different and his message is still the same. He just uses a different style of language. I think it's rather arrogant to say that critical scholars think they can just chop books up to get "the real purpose" of the book when to get the real purpose of the book you should be viewing the whole text as a unit. Would you say that James Joyce didn't write Ulysses because of the difference in use of punctuation from the start to the end? The third section of the book completely neglects punctuation.
This sounds like the argument of someone that doesn't fully understand what critical scholars are talking about.  Have you actually read any critical scholarship on the authorship of Zechariah?  Or of any other Biblical text?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, Phil.  Because these posts of yours are long, drawn-out, and frankly tiring.  I've been working on this response for... *looks at watch* ...entirely too long.  No more 17-part responses from me.  If you have any other questions or comments, please go one at a time.  I don't mind discussing this stuff, but I frankly don't have the time to do it this way.

And again, the point of ALL of this was that I don't believe in a Hell, and I don't believe that the earliest Israelites did either.  Please discuss that, rather than the entire length and breadth of Christian doctrine point by point.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2010, 06:16:41 AM »
Hef I have a question.

Quite often Jesus endorses/quotes old testament scripture as if it were true.  What do you make of that?  Did he really endorse it?  Or was that edited in?
I think that Jesus understood the Hebrew Bible as the sacred text of his people, just like most other Jews did, and that he most likely used references to it in his teaching. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2010, 06:25:50 AM »
The primary purpose of the cross is the cleansing of our sins. But why should we be cleansed of sin if, when we die,  there is no Hell. Like I've said, if I have choice between Heaven (or some sort of afterlife free of pain and living with God) or just ceasing to exist, does it really matter if I choose to give my life to the Most High? In either case, I will be free from pain in this world and can find "peace" in both, at least in the sense that I will no longer experience pain here on Earth.

I do experience God as a reality here and now, I believe in the power of prayer, and have felt the Spirit move many a time. But we all die, and, like I have said above, if what we do in this life does not matter insomuch as we are not judged on those actions, then who should bother trying to follow God? It would not matter. I could say "Screw you, Lord" and when death comes for me (and probably rather quickly after saying that), I would cease to exist. But what does that matter? As long as there is no more pain to look forward to, then I would live how I would want. But a coming judgment...that's completely different. That is motivating for my wicked soul.
James, it sounds like you are looking for an excuse to live life as a non-Christian.  If you would deny living how God (through the Hebrew Scriptures and the teachings of Jesus) has asked you to live, even though you have admitted that you can experience God as real here and now, that sounds pretty weak.  You go ahead and keep believing in a Judgement Day and a Hell.  It sounds like you need that.  But it seems to me that faith in a loving God shouldn't be based on a fear.

And, again, I never denied the possibility of any afterlife whatsoever.  Just a Hell to which non-believers are consigned.

Sorry, missed it before.

They got a lot of comfort and protection and guidance in their earthly lives from Him. They gained a lot of valuable time with the Lord. Interesting question that I would have to look into.
Please do so.  Because that has been my whole point all along.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »
Brother, He denies that the people who wrote the bible didn't actually meet Jesus and therefore can't be trusted when they quote him.
That's not exactly what I said. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »

James, it sounds like you are looking for an excuse to live life as a non-Christian.  If you would deny living how God (through the Hebrew Scriptures and the teachings of Jesus) has asked you to live, even though you have admitted that you can experience God as real here and now, that sounds pretty weak.  You go ahead and keep believing in a Judgement Day and a Hell.  It sounds like you need that.  But it seems to me that faith in a loving God shouldn't be based on a fear.

And, again, I never denied the possibility of any afterlife whatsoever.  Just a Hell to which non-believers are consigned.

Come on, this has nothing to do with anything in my life in particular (as in, for an agenda of mine). I was giving the assumptions of "what if." I thought you would have understood that. Not looking for excuses, just trying to give reason for what I am saying with examples of the consequences. I have no desire to look for a way to live as a non-Christian.

I mean, really, yes, I PERSONALLY do believe in God and Jesus Christ, but these cases I am making should not be including that so inclusively, because we are talking generally. What of the atheist who you may try to tell of God's existence to? They've no reason to believe if in the end it does not matter.

And saying that I need a Judgment Day and Hell is not the point. The point is that Christianity does not make sense without them.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »

Come on, this has nothing to do with anything in my life in particular (as in, for an agenda of mine). I was giving the assumptions of "what if." I thought you would have understood that. Not looking for excuses, just trying to give reason for what I am saying with examples of the consequences. I have no desire to look for a way to live as a non-Christian.

I mean, really, yes, I PERSONALLY do believe in God and Jesus Christ, but these cases I am making should not be including that so inclusively, because we are talking generally. What of the atheist who you may try to tell of God's existence to? They've no reason to believe if in the end it does not matter.

And saying that I need a Judgment Day and Hell is not the point. The point is that Christianity does not make sense without them.

I don't think atheists are waiting around to see which religion has the best retirement benefits before choosing one.  Just like I doubt that your reason for being a Christian is because you believe in Hell.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
I don't know what Jamesman thinks, but I can respond to that.

I am a person that is much more interested in eternal things over temporal things.  This life on earth is infinitely insignificant.  One of the reasons my faith remains strong is because I care about the eternal benefits it has.  While I didn't exactly come to the faith because of a fear of Hell, it is the eternal aspects of the religion that keep me interested ("rewards in heaven").

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2010, 07:28:17 AM »
But then why Christianity over other religions with afterlifes?  Buddhism has some kickin' bennies too.