Author Topic: Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?  (Read 12201 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Thread title thanks to Fiery Winds.

Conversation started here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=18406.msg687098#msg687098

We left off here:

Interesting. What about a verse like this: 

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20, NIV

?

That seems to imply that there is an afterlife for believers at least. Those are Jesus' words.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
 :lol

I'm getting ready to leave for my in-laws for Thanksgiving Part 2: The Return of the King.  I'll try to get to this later on.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Thread title promises a fight to the death between Jamesman and Hefdaddy.

Thread does not deliver.

Thread is a disappointment.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
Thanksgiving Part 2: The Return of the King
:lol

But I think I'm siding with Jamesman with the whole Heaven and Hell both exist thing.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
as hef noted, the concept of heaven in jewish scriptures is vague, at best, though it is there (Ps 133:3, etc).  heaven can often be interpreted as space/sky in tanach.
nevertheless, the christian scriptures are much more clear.
is heaven and hell pitchforks and pearly gates?  doubtful.
is there some sense in which those metaphors depict the reality that there is an afterlife and that He will divide the sheep from the goats (Mt 25)?  absolutely!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »
I believe neither of you will go to heaven, but that is just because I think it's a non-existant place.

Related to the true conversation; I am kinda leaning towards Jamesmans side. If there is no 'saving from hell', why should I 'join' the religion?

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
as hef noted, the concept of heaven in jewish scriptures is vague, at best, though it is there (Ps 133:3, etc).  heaven can often be interpreted as space/sky in tanach.
nevertheless, the christian scriptures are much more clear.
is heaven and hell pitchforks and pearly gates?  doubtful.
is there some sense in which those metaphors depict the reality that there is an afterlife and that He will divide the sheep from the goats (Mt 25)?  absolutely!

Actually, Christian scriptures are pretty ambiguous about both heaven and hell. You could easily make an argument based on the scripturesa about there being nothing before the second coming (am I allowed to call it the parousia?) and then a new heaven and earth will be created. Instead peolpe enter some sort of soul sleep or once we die we're instantly taken to the judgement  or something. I don't subscribe to that. I think heaven is an interim between death and the New Creation.

However there is certainty about a future kingdom of God and a day when Jesus will come to Judge everyone.

Offline j

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
If there is no 'saving from hell', why should I 'join' the religion?

And conversely, if being saved from hell is supposed to be the motivation to "join the religion", lots of insincere believers would seem to be an inevitable side effect.

However, I agree with Hef's assessment of hell (as it is typically understood) as hugely contradictory to many other aspects of Christian theology.  Unfortunately, at this point my scriptural knowledge is way too shaky to comment on that side of things.

-J

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
If there is no 'saving from hell', why should I 'join' the religion?

And conversely, if being saved from hell is supposed to be the motivation to "join the religion", lots of insincere believers would seem to be an inevitable side effect.

However, I agree with Hef's assessment of hell (as it is typically understood) as hugely contradictory to many other aspects of Christian theology.  Unfortunately, at this point my scriptural knowledge is way too shaky to comment on that side of things.

-J

I would say it is contradictory to many other misrepresentations of christian theology.  from genesis to revelation, God has always been perfect love and perfect justice.  whether reading the law, the prophets, the writings or the new covenant, God spoke words of immeasurable mercy mingled with fierce warnings of justice

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
Here's my thing:

We are told to stay on the narrow path

Quote from: Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

and from what?

Jesus has a good amount of references to Heaven and Hell (not the band har har). Results on BibleGateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=hell&x=0&y=0

One verse that is interesting is 1 John 2:17:

The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

I think that speaks for itself.

Also, what of the request of James and John:

Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”

“What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.

They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”

“You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”

“We can,” they answered.

Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”

This implies something happens when we die, or there is some extension of our lives after our death.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
Thread title promises a fight to the death between Jamesman and Hefdaddy.

Thread does not deliver.

Thread is a disappointment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 03:15:03 AM »
James, you keep posting things from the New Testament.  My argument was mostly from the history of Israel.  I stated that the concept of an afterlife of rewards and punishments was a late development.  That would be reflected in the New Testament.

I have no doubt that the authors of the New Testament believed in such an afterlife.  I also have no doubt that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Aaron, David, Solomon, Jeremiah, etc. lived fruitful, faithful lives without any such belief.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »
I believe neither of you will go to heaven, but that is just because I think it's a non-existant place.

It will be for you.
:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 08:14:27 AM »

It will be for you.
I surely hope so. I wouldn't want to be in a place full of condescending Christians.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »

It will be for you.

What the hell, tick?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »

It will be for you.

What the hell, tick?
It was a joke. Sorry.
I'm batting a thousand the last couple of days.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
lol. Happens to us all I think. Best just to step away sometimes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »

It will be for you.
I surely hope so. I wouldn't want to be in a place full of condescending Christians.
I wouldn't either.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
hef will die a more reasonable and happier man, and they will both be great fertilizer.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
James, you keep posting things from the New Testament.  My argument was mostly from the history of Israel.  I stated that the concept of an afterlife of rewards and punishments was a late development.  That would be reflected in the New Testament.

I have no doubt that the authors of the New Testament believed in such an afterlife.  I also have no doubt that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Aaron, David, Solomon, Jeremiah, etc. lived fruitful, faithful lives without any such belief.

So what do you believe they believed? Or, maybe, what do you think happened with their souls after they died?

I'm trying to gauge where on this stuff. I've been thinking about it a lot, which is why I haven't immediately responded.

Fake edit: A few other questions:

Do you believe that when we die, we just die and that's it?
Do you believe that the dead ("those who are sleeping") will rise if/when Jesus comes back on Judgment Day?
Do you believe that Christians will never enter Heaven (which goes to the next question, kind of)?
Do you believe that Heaven will come to Earth when all is said and done (from the end of Revelation)?

Like I said, I'm trying to see what you believe Hef, I just sort of know what you don't believe. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 05:24:42 PM »
I second the fertilizer statement.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
I second the fertilizer statement.

I hope I die a dirty old man, then. :neverusethis:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »
So what do you believe they believed? Or, maybe, what do you think happened with their souls after they died?
I see no evidence that they believed in souls.  I believe that they believed that when you die, it's over.

Do you believe that when we die, we just die and that's it?
I don't know.  Maybe. 

Do you believe that the dead ("those who are sleeping") will rise if/when Jesus comes back on Judgment Day?
I don't believe in Judgement Day.

Do you believe that Christians will never enter Heaven (which goes to the next question, kind of)?
If there is a Heaven that dead people can enter, then Christians will enter it.

Do you believe that Heaven will come to Earth when all is said and done (from the end of Revelation)?
I don't believe Revelation is meant to be taken literally.  I think it is all metaphorical.  But that's just me.

Like I said, I'm trying to see what you believe Hef, I just sort of know what you don't believe. :lol
On a lot of this stuff, I'm not sure what I believe, because some of the evidence is contradictory.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
the evidence is contradictory, but it is only because the Spirit is trying to communicate to physical beings a spiritual world.  physical metaphors cannot begin to explain a world that is without time, without space and without flesh.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »
the evidence is contradictory, but it is only because the Spirit is trying to communicate to physical beings a spiritual world.  physical metaphors cannot begin to explain a world that is without time, without space and without flesh.
I understand that possibility, but it can't be too hard for the Spirit to answer a yes/no question.

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »
I see no evidence that they believed in souls.  I believe that they believed that when you die, it's over.

Not to be confrontational, but I'm curious what you do with passages that mention the existence of a soul and/or something occurring after death.  A few examples listed below:

Gen 35:18:  "And so it was, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she called his name Ben-Oni; but his father called him Benjamin."  Where was Leah's "soul" departing to if there was no afterlife (not to mention that fact that the existence of a "soul" is clearly mentioned)?

Leviticus 17:11:  "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul."  This is an interesting passage.  I'm not sure the word that is translated "soul" really goes to what we are talking about in the thread.  But interesting nonetheless that it discusses atonement for part of us that is beyond the physical body. 

1 Kings 17:21:  "And he stretched himself out on the child three times, and cried out to the LORD and said, 'O LORD my God, I pray, let this child’s soul come back to him.'"  This is clearly talking about a spiritual component to our being that is separate from our physical body.  Here, the boy's "soul" had left him at death, and Elijah prays for the boy's soul to return that he might live again.  Return from where if it had not gone somewhere?

Psalm 16:10:  "For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption."  So, according to this Psalm of David, the soul will not be left in the grave.  Where would it go if there is no afterlife? 

It is an interesting study because, much how the work "spirit" in modern English carries multiple meanings, some of which pertain to very earthly emotions while others are meant to convey a more supernatural existence, the Hebrew also seems to use the terms for "spirit" and "soul" in various ways, many times clearly not pertaining to any supernatural part of ourselves.  But there are plenty of references to belief in an extra-eartly part of our being that, at least to me, clearly imply a belief in the afterlife.  I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation from any biblical scholars as to how these passages can support a view that the Jews living in the various OT time periods did not believe in an afterlife. 
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline ehra

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
Assuming those passages are talking about the same "souls" we are, they don't necessarily say anything about any afterlife. If a "soul" simply disappears or whatever after death then it could still be said that it has "departed" from the body.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
OK, but what about this verse:

Quote from: Isaiah 26:19, NIV-2010
But your dead will live, LORD;
   their bodies will rise—
let those who dwell in the dust
   wake up and shout for joy—
your dew is like the dew of the morning;
   the earth will give birth to her dead.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
all i know is that ehra's avatar is soooooooo darn cute
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ehra

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »

their bodies will rise—

I'm not sure what I think on this topic. Was just replying to that particular post/argument.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
Gotcha, although really this is for hef in a sense, but I see what you're saying.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »
Not to be confrontational, but I'm curious what you do with passages that mention the existence of a soul and/or something occurring after death.  A few examples listed below:

Gen 35:18:  "And so it was, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she called his name Ben-Oni; but his father called him Benjamin."  Where was Leah's "soul" departing to if there was no afterlife (not to mention that fact that the existence of a "soul" is clearly mentioned)?
It's only mentioned in some English translations like the KJV, and unfortunately the NRSV.  The word translated here as "soul" (nephesh) doesn't really mean soul as we envision it - it refers to tangible signs of life, such as breath.  A better translation of the above passage would be "And with her dying breath, she called his name Ben-Oni"

Leviticus 17:11:  "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul."  This is an interesting passage.  I'm not sure the word that is translated "soul" really goes to what we are talking about in the thread.  But interesting nonetheless that it discusses atonement for part of us that is beyond the physical body. 
Again, this is the same word in Hebrew as your previous example, nephesh.  It is the same word that the beginning of this passage translates as "life."  It doesn't refer to a soul as we understand the term, as you alluded.

1 Kings 17:21:  "And he stretched himself out on the child three times, and cried out to the LORD and said, 'O LORD my God, I pray, let this child’s soul come back to him.'"  This is clearly talking about a spiritual component to our being that is separate from our physical body.  Here, the boy's "soul" had left him at death, and Elijah prays for the boy's soul to return that he might live again.  Return from where if it had not gone somewhere?
Well, again, this is nephesh, and basically means "breath" or "life."  The boy was no longer living, and Elijah prayed that life be returned to him.  This isn't talking about a spiritual component, just to life itself.

Psalm 16:10:  "For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption."  So, according to this Psalm of David, the soul will not be left in the grave.  Where would it go if there is no afterlife? 
Nephesh again.  This isn't talking about a soul in our understanding of the word.  And according to what we know, Sheol was not a definite place, such as Heaven or Hell.  It just meant, as you said, the grave.  Besides, the Psalms are basically poetry and, by nature, poetic and metaphorical.  While one of my favorite books of the Bible, and full of rich imagery which is important in a full relationship with God, I would never take any of it literally as a basis of forming any kind of doctrine.  That wasn't its purpose.

It is an interesting study because, much how the work "spirit" in modern English carries multiple meanings, some of which pertain to very earthly emotions while others are meant to convey a more supernatural existence, the Hebrew also seems to use the terms for "spirit" and "soul" in various ways, many times clearly not pertaining to any supernatural part of ourselves.  But there are plenty of references to belief in an extra-eartly part of our being that, at least to me, clearly imply a belief in the afterlife.  I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation from any biblical scholars as to how these passages can support a view that the Jews living in the various OT time periods did not believe in an afterlife. 
Well, it is certainly interesting.  But I've just given a little explanation, at least on the four passages you listed, so if I could do that, I'm not sure what kind of scholars you've been examining.

But the possibility remains that some ancient Israelites may have believed in an afterlife of some kind.  But my main point (which started all of this) is that there was no ancient Israelite conception of a Hell to which people are doomed that don't believe a certain way, or of a Heaven to which true believers would go to be rewarded.  I still see no evidence of such a belief on their part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 05:00:25 AM »

their bodies will rise—
I agree that this verse seems to clearly show some kind of belief in an afterlife.  This is part of the section known as the Isaiah Apocalypse, which includes chapters 24-27.  A majority of scholars date this section much later than the rest of proto-Isaiah (chapters 1-39), most dating it to the third century BC, but some dating it as late as Daniel (the second century BCE).  In other words, this would go along with my understanding of the belief in an afterlife as a later development in the history of the religion of ancient Israel.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »
Hey Hef,

Could you please give a biblical explanation of what Christianity is?

You could use these questions to help you on your way.

Define concisely what the Good News is. You should answer this with refference to Mark 1:1 et al

Define why people should become a Christian. Included in this answer you should define the hope of the Christian life.

Define what the importance of Jesus death on the cross.

Explain how Zechariah was not talking about Jesus and then why we should ignore his apocalypse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
Hey Hef,

Could you please give a biblical explanation of what Christianity is?

You could use these questions to help you on your way.

Define concisely what the Good News is. You should answer this with refference to Mark 1:1 et al

Define why people should become a Christian. Included in this answer you should define the hope of the Christian life.

Define what the importance of Jesus death on the cross.

Explain how Zechariah was not talking about Jesus and then why we should ignore his apocalypse.
Why?  And how is this on topic?