Author Topic: What If The Music Died? Hypothetically.....  (Read 1695 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What If The Music Died? Hypothetically.....
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Another thing this draws me to is that I think there's too much reverence for the pure album format and listening experience.  It's really a whole other topic, and I continue to listen to full albums often, but there are many times when I find more value in listening to 3-4 favorite songs from a dozen different albums each than 3-4 albums all the way through.  The opportunity cost of always listening to the "worst" tracks on even a great album is sometimes outweighed by the value of hearing songs I otherwise wouldn't have had time for.  So I'm quite amenable to playlists, singles and such, the entire album session isn't sacrosanct.

I'm with you on this. I have a number of Best Of (insert band name) playlists and compilation CD's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 04:18:25 PM »
I have a much smaller music library than most of you here, but I am trending the other way, as I listen to full albums more and more these days.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2022, 04:23:16 PM »
I have a much smaller music library than most of you here, but I am trending the other way, as I listen to full albums more and more these days.

Time for another roulette??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2022, 05:10:16 PM »
 :) I was thinking about that, but I have found some other new music over the past year or so that I am still fully digesting. I also have a different job than I did before, this one haviung me either driving or doing manual labor, and while listening to music during both is great and helps the day go by, it is harder to fully focus on new music. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2022, 06:53:55 PM »
I am loving all of these viewpoints on this topic. I think if nothing new came out it would give us the chance to sit with albums longer and paying closer attention to them as well as finding new gems that have already been released. The fact that so many albums are still coming out and trying to keep up with it is making it nearly impossible to fully enjoy all we have already. Lets all be honest with ourselves that we have the tendency to skip over albums much quicker because we just move on to the next. I'm still discovering albums from the 90's I never heard or just didn't give a fair listen to. No new music would give us the opportunity to just slow down and really dive into existing albums. I honestly believe all of us would still discover new music that has already been released on top of the stuff we already enjoy. We would never stop discovering new music. New to me is still new right? Most people in general do not have the time to just listen to music on a constant basis. We would all be fine in this hypothetical situation.