Author Topic: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It  (Read 26702 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
Recent youtube vids of Tony Martin weren't too good.  Most of the vocals were doubled by somebody else, and what he was singing wasn't very strong.  And honestly, he wasn't ever a great live singer.  Awesome in the studio but only occasionally passable live (from what I've seen--I'm definitely no expert on the guy). 

This is unfortunately true.  I remember watching the Cross Purposes VHS and thinking how the same man, that couldn't sing a mid range song properly live perform all those amazing highs.  He just never could cut it live.

Though apparently, he was sick when they filmed this.

I heard that too, but other videos I've seen haven't been major improvements over this performance.  There's a pro shot concert around '88 where he sings quite well, but you can still see he's not the best live singer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »
I also read in a Sabbath biography that Iommi wasn't thrilled about Tony Martin's performance in a live setting.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »
I also read in a Sabbath biography that Iommi wasn't thrilled about Tony Martin's performance in a live setting.

I'd still rather see Martin over Ozzy IMO.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2010, 03:52:35 AM »
Yngwe is a master, and the last album is just amazing!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »
He is undoubtedly a great guitar player, and my band had the privilege of opening for him in the early 90's. It was a blast playing for the large crowd in attendance.

:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline LTE

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
I'm not doubting Malmsteen's skill as a guitarist, but he is by the douchiest and pretentious virtuoso and I prefer many others.

Also he plays practically everything in harmonic minor, it gets boring.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »

Hmm...yes, but he also widely utilizes the major, blues scale, pentatonic, natural minor, diminished and the phryigan dominant scale.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:13:13 PM by wolfking »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »
I'm not doubting Malmsteen's skill as a guitarist, but he is by the douchiest and pretentious virtuoso and I prefer many others.

Two of the biggest misconceptions about the man.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

I met him when I opened for him. He was not a nice guy at all. I did not enjoy meeting him at all.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

I met him when I opened for him. He was not a nice guy at all. I did not enjoy meeting him at all.

:lol  I think he has chilled out a bit now compared to the late 80's early 90's.  I remember back then when he criticized people like Vai and Satch yet, since the G3 tour he seems to be a bit more humble.  I could be totally wrong though.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
I met him a few times, in the early days he was very nice.. after his accident he changed.
when I met him on his first tour he was very gracious, showed me his guitars, gave us time to talk, showed me a few tricks, showed me some cool things on the back of his guitars, ( girls had written him notes, phones #s  etc).. JSS was cool with him back then.. teased Malm about using his eyeliner would give JSS herpes...etc, he was bone straight ealry on, but little doubt the spoils and pressures got to him to repeat his greatness,

after he crashed his car, he changed.. gained weight, was on steriods, unhappy..etc
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jsem

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »

Hmm...yes, but he also widely utilizes the major, blues scale, pentatonic, natural minor, diminished and the phryigan dominant scale.

Oh.. don't even mention yngwie and blues scale in the same sentence. He is one of the finest guitarists out there imho but he should NOT... and I repeat NOT play the blues.. ever

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »
I don't think that's what he meant.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2010, 02:55:14 PM »

Oh.. don't even mention yngwie and blues scale in the same sentence. He is one of the finest guitarists out there imho but he should NOT... and I repeat NOT play the blues.. ever

Dude, calm the fuck down.  He uses the blues scale, he utilizes the b5 in his pentatonic and minor licks, deal with it.

I can understand why people wouldn't like his blues playing, but he's easily one of the greatest guitarists ever, face the fact.  But I was just stating the scales that he uses in his solos.  Oh and..

yes, Yngwie is an amazing blues player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWUYNUPa90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLFoJtOn2I

Fuck yeah man. I already viewed the first, but the second is just great. What guitar player DOESN'T know blues? :lol
Can't wait to try out that style for myself.

I don't think that's what he meant.

Thank you.

Offline PaulEMoz

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »
I met him in 1996 and 1998, and on both occasions he was funny, intelligent and generous.  Very long story so I won't post the whole thing, but suffice to say I came away from both meetings with nothing but positives to say.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
I guess he's one of those people that cannot hide his emotions and what he is feeling at the time.  If he's having a bad day, he'll be pissed and won't care who is in his way.  No excuse to be rude to fans though.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2010, 12:02:11 AM »
I appreciate that Malmsteen has proved that the Fender Strat is probably the most versatile guitar on the planet and is capable of anything. Not sure about that blues playing though. I mean, it is the blues scale, but the only thing blues about it is in the back track that's running through the 12 bars. You could apply the same solo to just about any rock song in the same key. I don't deny the man's skill, but I don't seem him pulling off any 6/8 blues shuffles ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2010, 03:45:19 AM »
I appreciate that Malmsteen has proved that the Fender Strat is probably the most versatile guitar on the planet and is capable of anything.

I've always thoought that yngwie's stuff shows why strats shouldn't be used for metal. Yngwie's lead tone is fine but his rhythm tone has never been anything but awful. Unfortunately I loved his stuff so much I bought one of his USA strats and it's so hard to play and hard to get a decent tone out of. Not a problem I've ever had out of the Jem.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
I met him in 1996 and 1998, and on both occasions he was funny, intelligent and generous.  Very long story so I won't post the whole thing, but suffice to say I came away from both meetings with nothing but positives to say.

I'd be interested in the story   :)
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
just missed a meet and greet with Yngwie at Guitar Center by a couple of hours.  I went in to buy a mic, and saw the flyer. 
I then learned he is playing in Hollywood tomorrow, so I am going.
the setlist looks AMAZING!
haven't seen him in years
kind of funny that this thread has been dormant since 2010

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
Who is singing at his live shows now?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2013, 01:06:03 AM »
I was curious about that as well.  It seems like the majority of songs on the setlist are his instrumentals, though

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2013, 04:44:30 AM »
The footage I saw was the keyboard player, but I'm not sure who it is.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
I'm resurrecting this thread because I just finished reading an "unauthorized biography" on Yngwie, written by a Swedish journalist who followed him throughout his whole career.

If anyone on this forum has any memory of me, then it seems very unlike me to read anything related to the infamous Swedish meatball, but I've always had a passing intrigue in the guy and found him to be sort of an attractive novelty.

Anyway, I blazed through the ebook in 3 days, and....I'm SHOCKED.

I knew Yngwie was an arrogant prick and an ass clown at times, that he was a control freak, that he was insufferable...but I had no idea it was this bad. Some parts I read with my eyes wide and my jaw dropped. I can't fucking believe this guy! The shit he got away with and that he did! Some of it is so unbelievable and outrageous, like a really over-the-top soap opera...but it can't be embellished, because all of the stories of the interviewees (ex-vocalists, musicians, techs, friends, school teachers, girlfriends, wives) are so consistent and in line with each other. Even if only 75% of it is credible (I believe every word personally), it's still a baffling, jaw-dropping read.

It all makes sense. His otherworldly, borderline supernatural, abuse of alcohol, cocaine, and junk food was matched only by his inability to function as a basic human being--on a level that I can only describe as profound. Even death and destruction followed him throughout his career, on small scales and large scales. The fat bastard did everything short of murdering someone, and he came extremely close to doing that on several occasions, too.

There's the typical rock star diva behavior, and then there's the Yngwie rock star diva behavior. Let me tell you: It's on a level that you can't imagine until you read this book.

Other than his blatantly bad upbringing as a child, several theories passed through my mind as I tried to pinpoint the source of his insanity, all related to mental illnesses, of course: autism, psychotic depression, bipolar disorder, sociopathy, narcissistic personality disorder, multiple personality disorder, some kind of personality disorder. I even considered schizophrenia for a moment.

I'm dead serious. This guy's life would make for an incredible documentary or case study for a wide audience. He is the rock star archetype, but I mean that in the worst way possible. Pure darkness follows this guy wherever he goes, despite his talent.

Even if you've never had even the slightest interest in Eengwee, I highly recommend this book. It's an astonishing aggregation of insight into arguably one of the most self-destructive and dysfunctional people ever, let alone rock stars.

https://www.amazon.com/As-Above-Below-Unauthorized-Biography-ebook/dp/B00COUA2VG/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398040448&sr=1-3&keywords=yngwie+malmsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
I haven't read the book, but you make him sound like he's the devil.  I definitely should pick it up as he as always been one of my music idols.  I know he's got a pretty bad history but he seems to have become a lot better in his recent years. 

I know his singers bag him out, but Tim Ownes has always said that he has no issues with Yngwie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
I think Phil Anselmo depicts him pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZAiKSQL99Y and the fact that it comes from Phil himself makes it even better.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
I haven't read the book, but you make him sound like he's the devil.  I definitely should pick it up as he as always been one of my music idols.  I know he's got a pretty bad history but he seems to have become a lot better in his recent years. 

I know his singers bag him out, but Tim Ownes has always said that he has no issues with Yngwie.

I won't spoil it for you, but I'll say this much: His second ex-wife Amber's recollection of their relationship is heartbreaking.

If you don't have a kindle, you can download a free Kindle e-reader as an extension for chrome at read.amazon.com.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
I think Phil Anselmo depicts him pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZAiKSQL99Y and the fact that it comes from Phil himself makes it even better.  :lol

Can Anselmo even play guitar ?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »

Actually, yes. Admittedly not very WELL, but he can play guitar.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »

Well enough to be in Slayer apparently  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Calvin6s

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
Sources Report Keyboardist Mats Olausson Found Dead In Thailand
https://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=110912

:(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Sad news

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
That's awful, he was an incredible keyboard player. 

They found seven empty bottles of whisky?  Good lord!

Calvin6s

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »

On a somewhat lighter note, it takes me year to finish a bottle of whisky.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »

On a somewhat lighter note, it takes me year to finish a bottle of whisky.

It takes me a whole evening to drink one small glass.