Author Topic: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It  (Read 26697 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
Yes, this record (at least the 6 tracks with Ripper singing) are left over from the last record. Tim is upset because he only had a one album contract, so the management is supposed to re-up it for this record to come out, regardless of when it was recorded. I will discuss it further with him Saturday, as I'm going to his restaurant in Ohio for his unplugged show. I'll be hanging with him for the better part of a day, so we'll likely have time to jive.

I am so jealous of you.

And is there really only 6 tracks with Ripper singing?  I was actually a bit dissapointed at the amount of instrumentals on Perpetual Flame and now it seems over half of the new album are instrumentals.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
That is what I was told, although I haven't heard the record myself yet. I won't buy it as Tim doesn't approve of it and it isn't available by other means yet. Dude, you don't know the half of my good fortune. He just booked me a hotel room on the house and inadvertently sent me the e-mail confirmation with his home address and credit card number :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
That is what I was told, although I haven't heard the record myself yet. I won't buy it as Tim doesn't approve of it and it isn't available by other means yet. Dude, you don't know the half of my good fortune. He just booked me a hotel room on the house and inadvertently sent me the e-mail confirmation with his home address and credit card number :lol

Don't forget to help me get Tim to sing on my CD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »

wat??

You are so lucky.  Can you just tell him this for me.  I am from a little city called Brisbane in Australia and I saw Tim live with Priest on the Demolition tour in 2001 (I think).  It was my first concert as I was 17 and most shows up to that point were 18+, lucking this was all ages.  It was a small intimate venue and to this day that was possibly the greatest metal experience of my life.   His vocals that night still leave me floored to this day.  The whole band were just pure metal.  It was loud, very loud and it was amazing. 

Seeing Priest with Tim perform classic tracks and new ones just made me a true metal head for life.  I have seen many metal acts since including Maiden, Queensryche, DT etc. but I still hold that concert the best.  Five real men playing amazing music for the love of it.  I owe Tim a lot.  To be honest, I wish that Priest lineup still existed.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
I have Yngwie's instructional video somewhere in storage.  Its pretty funny.  He's like: "Here, I'll play this figure here."  *shreds balls at ridiculous speed* "Here it is again, slower" *shreds balls at same ridiculous speed*.

He has some awesome songs, I think his biggest problem is exactly what the OP says.  I imagine if he were a more humble character like JP he'd get a lot more respect.  Definately appreciate his ability though.  Shredalicious.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »

wat??

You are so lucky.  Can you just tell him this for me.  I am from a little city called Brisbane in Australia and I saw Tim live with Priest on the Demolition tour in 2001 (I think).  It was my first concert as I was 17 and most shows up to that point were 18+, lucking this was all ages.  It was a small intimate venue and to this day that was possibly the greatest metal experience of my life.   His vocals that night still leave me floored to this day.  The whole band were just pure metal.  It was loud, very loud and it was amazing. 

Seeing Priest with Tim perform classic tracks and new ones just made me a true metal head for life.  I have seen many metal acts since including Maiden, Queensryche, DT etc. but I still hold that concert the best.  Five real men playing amazing music for the love of it.  I owe Tim a lot.  To be honest, I wish that Priest lineup still existed.

Oh don't worry, I have no intent on doing no good with the info, just likely send him Christmas cards :P

You and me both though, man. I never got to see him with Priest (or Iced Earth...OR Yngwie for that matter). I'm very lucky and very fortunate, but in all honesty, he's just a stand up guy. Very easy to get along with and completely humble. If you show the guy respect, he'll give it right back.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
I saw and met Malmsteen on his first shows with JSS, saw him many times in the 80's, he changed after the car accident. I used to really enjoy his amazing style it was ground breaking at the time, I think this was about 1982. He was beyond loud also, ear splitting..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:18:28 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline PaulEMoz

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
Jesus!  I don't pop in for a while, and when I come back, I find a positive Yngwie Malmsteen thread!

I absolutely love Yngwie, he's my favourite musician by miles, and he was really cool on the two occasions I was lucky enough to meet him.  Even though Tim Owens is my least favourite Malmsteen singer so far, I still enjoy Perpetual Flame by virtue of the fact... it's Yngwie!  I haven't had the opportunity to give the new album a listen yet (unthinkable for me), but what I have heard is good old Yngwie.  The fact there are more instrumentals sits well with me.

Yngwie is awesome.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 02:30:31 AM »
Holy crap guys. I dig Yngwie's way of playing blues. It's a shred style and he pulls it off nicely too. :o

Never thought I'd also like that from him.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 02:57:39 AM »
Even though Tim Owens is my least favourite Malmsteen singer so far,

Courtesy of Ripper and I... :loser:

But in all seriousness, got to chat with him. Not quite sure where things lie with Yngwie. He didn't seem too terribly upset over it, so I imagine if the price is right, they will tour sometime soon. But who knows. We will have to wait and see...The one REALLY interesting bit is how I took a complete shot in the dark with suggesting that Wendy Dio's statement that Heaven & Hell should continue under a different name and make new music with a new singer was in some way a wink wink towards him (as Wendy is Tim's manager)...and wouldn't you know it...there are rumblings of that being a possibility. Ripper in Sabbath. Ah, in a perfect world. We shall see.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 03:05:32 AM »
yes, Yngwie is an amazing blues player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWUYNUPa90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLFoJtOn2I

Fuck yeah man. I already viewed the first, but the second is just great. What guitar player DOESN'T know blues? :lol
Can't wait to try out that style for myself.

Offline PaulEMoz

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 07:04:57 AM »

:P

Actually, I don't think that's entirely Tim's fault, I don't think Yngwie is using him to his strengths.  I thought Tim was really good in the live setting with Yngwie, particularly on Soto and Vescera-era songs, and I reckon he would be better on the records if he was used a little differently.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
Ripper in Sabbath could be quite interesting. As long as he doesn't pretend to be Dio, and uses his own style to a certain extent, I think it could be great.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »

:P

Actually, I don't think that's entirely Tim's fault, I don't think Yngwie is using him to his strengths.  I thought Tim was really good in the live setting with Yngwie, particularly on Soto and Vescera-era songs, and I reckon he would be better on the records if he was used a little differently.

I can agree to an extent. I think he's fine on the record. He does do the older songs awesome as well. I even like his spin on the Turner stuff, as it's different. Sadly, it seems the artist to utilize his skills the best was Iced Earth (especially on Framing Armageddon).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:11 AM »
Hmm...Tim with Sabbath, I don't know if I see that actually.  I'm actually wishing they do some new material with Jorn Lande.

Speaking of Jorn, how good would it have been if Malmsteen did an album with Jorn!!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
I do think Jorn wouldn't be a bad choice by any means and would fit more in with Ronnie's image. But if they were to try something new and different, I think Tim's style could really benefit the sound. A Jorn and Yngwie record would've been cool, as his rendition of the older tunes was great.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Oh and I am giving the new Yngwie record a spin finally. Obviously too many instrumentals. The track's with Ripper are cool. I think if you took all the tunes with vocals from this and the last record you'd have a more solid album start to finish. And then saved all the instrumentals for one of those type of records. Either way, the promo was dealt with messily and very well might spell the end for the Yngwie/Ripper collaboration, which would keep true to Yngwie's average 2 record per singer schedule. Truly sad, as they seemed like they'd work together forever judging by how fond they got on. And Yngwie was even throwing tunes like Green Manalishi in the set, which is an accommodation he has never taken with any other singer. But Tim's letting it roll off his back, as this sort of thing isn't anything new to him. He's getting by just fine with Hail, his solo runs, album guest spots etc. And if he does land the Sabbath gig, obviously that would be the top priority, as he'd be set for some time with that.  

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »
Perpetual Flame is a great album. I haven't heard the new one yet.

..and I'm casting my vote for Ripper to NOT join Sabbath.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »
You. Go away :P

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
I used to listen to Yngwie until one day I was like, what the fuck am i listening to this is bullshit garbage shit shit shit.

HEAVEN TONIGHT WAS HIS ONLY REAL SUCCESS ON GUITAR

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »
I do think Jorn wouldn't be a bad choice by any means and would fit more in with Ronnie's image. But if they were to try something new and different, I think Tim's style could really benefit the sound. A Jorn and Yngwie record would've been cool, as his rendition of the older tunes was great.

I wish there were vids or even audio lying around of these shows.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
And Yngwie was even throwing tunes like Green Manalishi in the set, which is an accommodation he has never taken with any other singer.

REALLY??  Wow, that's cool, never thought Yngwie would ever do that.  I don't even think he did Rainbow songs when JLT was in the band.

And, I don't know how much I'm gonna enjoy Relentless, as I thought Perpetual Flame had way too many instrumentals.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
I used to listen to Yngwie until one day I was like, what the fuck am i listening to this is bullshit garbage shit shit shit.

HEAVEN TONIGHT WAS HIS ONLY REAL SUCCESS ON GUITAR

Offline PaulEMoz

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
I thought Jorn was poor with Yngwie.  Notwithstanding the whole sorry mess that happened, I really didn't like his delivery of the songs.  He can be awesome, but he wasn't at the Yngwie show I saw.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »
I'd love some vids or a boot of one of those shows.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
TBH, I've gone back and forth with Ripper & Sabbath. It wasn't that long ago that I thought he'd be great with them. I do still think that. Just seems kind of mercenary-ish, that's all. I wouldn't have a problem with Tony Martin returning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
TBH, I've gone back and forth with Ripper & Sabbath. It wasn't that long ago that I thought he'd be great with them. I do still think that. Just seems kind of mercenary-ish, that's all. I wouldn't have a problem with Tony Martin returning.

Tony Martin returning would make me so happy.  The martin era was easily the best Sabbath IMO.  Forbidden was by far the weakest, but after 15 years, I'd love to see what him and Iommi could do.  Martin's lost a lot of his range too which would make it difficult.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »

Tony Martin returning would make me so happy.  The martin era was easily the best Sabbath IMO.  Forbidden was by far the weakest, but after 15 years, I'd love to see what him and Iommi could do.  Martin's lost a lot of his range too which would make it difficult.

I agree. Forbidden was bad, but the other 4 Martin albums are really strong. He was a beast. And he did great live versions of songs like Children Of The Sea and Die Young.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
I'd say the other 4 are perfect albums.  Forbidden had a few good songs but a few stinkers too.  I mean, was it Ice T on one track!?  :facepalm:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
ILLUUUUUUSION OF POOOOWW-UHHH

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
Recent youtube vids of Tony Martin weren't too good.  Most of the vocals were doubled by somebody else, and what he was singing wasn't very strong.  And honestly, he wasn't ever a great live singer.  Awesome in the studio but only occasionally passable live (from what I've seen--I'm definitely no expert on the guy). 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
Recent youtube vids of Tony Martin weren't too good.  Most of the vocals were doubled by somebody else, and what he was singing wasn't very strong.  And honestly, he wasn't ever a great live singer.  Awesome in the studio but only occasionally passable live (from what I've seen--I'm definitely no expert on the guy). 

This is unfortunately true.  I remember watching the Cross Purposes VHS and thinking how the same man, that couldn't sing a mid range song properly live perform all those amazing highs.  He just never could cut it live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »

This is unfortunately true.  I remember watching the Cross Purposes VHS and thinking how the same man, that couldn't sing a mid range song properly live perform all those amazing highs.  He just never could cut it live.

Though apparently, he was sick when they filmed this.