Author Topic: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It  (Read 26642 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Yngwie Malmsteen Thread v. He's Better Than You and He Knows It
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2021, 08:49:18 PM »
Hes fkn unreal live,  Id advise anyone who has never seen him to see him once
He's going out on tour this fall with John 5 supporting:

Nov. 18 - Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre
Nov. 19 - Buffalo, NY - Showplace Theater
Nov. 20 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance Theater
Nov. 21 - Albany, NY - Empire Theatre
Nov. 23 - Munhall, PA - Carnegie of Homestead Hall
Nov. 24 - Harrisburg, PA - HMAC CENTER
Nov. 26 - Derry, NH - Tupelo Music Hall
Nov. 27 - Newton, NJ - Newton Theater
Nov. 28 - Richmond, VA - The National
Nov. 30 - Ashwaubenon, WI - EPIC Event Center
Dec. 01 - Columbus, OH - King of Clubs
Dec. 02 - Des Plaines, IL - Des Plaines Theatre
Dec. 03 - Detroit, MI - Diesel
Dec. 06 - Grand Junction, CO - Mesa Theater
Dec. 08 - Reno, NV - Virginia Street Theater
Dec. 09 - Agoura Hills, CA - Canyon Club
Dec. 10 - Fresno, CA - Tower Theater
Dec. 11 - Montclair, CA - The Canyon Club
Dec. 12 - Santa Clarita, CA - Canyon Club
Dec. 14 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Dec. 16 - Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Hall

wow w John 5    simoly wow   J5 is insane also
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2021, 10:38:57 AM »
Here's my interview with Yngwie - hope you like it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa3q-95Mm0I&t=116s

Feel free to comment here, but it would be great if you also commented on the video.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
It's more interesting than his blues covers album, but that's not saying much, is it?

I didn't even give that a single listen.  I heard the sample song, some shit cover I can't even remember and almost vomited. 

It's anything but fresh.

agreed ... Hes consistent for sure   would love to see him do something wild totally different but heck he is mind numbing great live... I hated how late hed come on sometimes.,

I've only seen him once back in 2008 or 2009 with Doogie and it was a great show.  not sure I'd see him now with no real singer and more instrumentals but that show had quite a few instrumentals but a lot of vocal songs like the old days and it was very entertaining.

You know I was a huge Yngwie fan but I’ve been very disappointed seeing him live. He was great on the Odyssey tour but every time after that it was just guitar wankery that was just the same five licks rearranged for an hour and a half. Plus, Gorman Edman was terrible.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
I just love everything about Yngwie.  It's so ridiculous and unapologetic you almost have to dig it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
I just love everything about Yngwie.  It's so ridiculous and unapologetic you almost have to dig it.

Yep.  He's so self indulgent yet simply doesn't apologise or give a shit.  I love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2021, 02:46:51 AM »

Yep.  He's so self indulgent yet simply doesn't apologise or give a shit.  I love it.

I have a grudging respect for him for this, but the music has really suffered for it in the last 20 years. He needs a great singer and a producer. He’s making a big thing of spending a year on this album. Ten months of that will have been spent on autotuning the vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2021, 06:23:34 AM »
Totally agree in regards to the decline in the studio outputs Paul.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2021, 06:36:01 AM »
 The headline on the Blabbermouth repost of my interview with Yngwie was "I don't collaborate with people". The absolute best response was "At least collaborate with a drum software from the 21st century".  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2021, 12:42:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/5OFfX8h8YDM

The latest track from the new one. There’s a cool track in here trying to get out. Production and mix is hopeless and the drums sound like cardboard boxes. At least he’s not singing. There seems to be delay on everything making it all sound muddy. Maybe standing in front of Marshalls all these years has taken effect.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »

The latest track from the new one. There’s a cool track in here trying to get out. Production and mix is hopeless and the drums sound like cardboard boxes. At least he’s not singing. There seems to be delay on everything making it all sound muddy. Maybe standing in front of Marshalls all these years has taken effect.

Yeah, sounds shit, but I didn't mind that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »

Yeah, sounds shit, but I didn't mind that.
Kind of me, too.  I get the complaints, and I hear them (except the drums; the drums have never really sounded great to me; I think back to the first two Rising Force records and it doesn't sound much different to me), but it's Yngwie.  Those arpeggios!  The cheese in the video; I love how they recycled certain stage shots ("the kick" in particular)! 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »

I'm struggling to hear the cool track  :lol  I lasted about 90secs and turned it off.   Last album of his I bought was Facing The Animal and haven't been convinced that's a bad thing yet.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
I'm sorry, I had to..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
I'm sorry, I had to..

This is the greatest fucking thing in the world, ever!!!  :hefdaddy :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
 :lol

As soon as I saw him running backwards like an ass, I immediately thought GIF!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »
:lol

As soon as I saw him running backwards like an ass, I immediately thought GIF!!

It's an absolute thing of beauty, I'm still almost in tears, greatest GIF ever!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2021, 09:35:14 PM »
When I saw him, he did that kick like 8,000 times, usually launching a pick off the toe.   At the end of the show, there were picks on the floor and one guy said to his friend "want a pick?"  "no I have about 10 already". 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2021, 02:06:14 AM »
When I saw him, he did that kick like 8,000 times, usually launching a pick off the toe.   At the end of the show, there were picks on the floor and one guy said to his friend "want a pick?"  "no I have about 10 already".

:rollin

I must say, he has wonderful flexibility for a man of his age.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »

ESPECIALLY in those tight leather pants.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I wish Yngwie would do ONE MORE decent album- get Jeff Scott Soto in there, write a bunch of songs about dragons and wizards and shit. There’s a huge resurgence in nostalgia for that 80’s D&D high fantasy crap that he could totally be capitalizing on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »

ESPECIALLY in those tight leather pants.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I wish Yngwie would do ONE MORE decent album- get Jeff Scott Soto in there, write a bunch of songs about dragons and wizards and shit. There’s a huge resurgence in nostalgia for that 80’s D&D high fantasy crap that he could totally be capitalizing on.

And the heels!

Yeah, I'd love an album like that too but sounds like that's just never going to happen.  Soto hates his guts anyway lol.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2021, 06:35:50 AM »

Of his age and WEIGHT.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2021, 07:19:57 PM »
Jokes aside, Parabellum is a massive improvement from his latest works. Best album since Alchemy, IMHO.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2021, 03:58:53 AM »
I wouldn't go that far, probably the best since Perpetual Burn for me.  Not fantastic, but a definite improvement.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »
Anyone familiar with the re-issue of the "Inspiration" set?  It's got the second disk with the interview and a couple songs.   One from Powerhouse in '78, two from "Rising Force" in '80//82, one song from Magnum Opus (Voodoo), and one from "the Malmsteen files".   That song, "Evil" is pretty darn good, but there's no info on it.  No date, no personnel...  Anyone familiar with that, and know who is singing?  It sounds a little like Tim Owens, but to my knowledge he didn't work with Yngwie until AFTER this release (I think that was re-released in 2000). 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »
I wouldn't go that far, probably the best since Perpetual Burn for me.  Not fantastic, but a definite improvement.

It’s so annoying that he won’t just get a singer and put out something of quality though. I’m stubborn too but he beats me hands down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2022, 12:03:32 PM »
Anyone familiar with the re-issue of the "Inspiration" set?  It's got the second disk with the interview and a couple songs.   One from Powerhouse in '78, two from "Rising Force" in '80//82, one song from Magnum Opus (Voodoo), and one from "the Malmsteen files".   That song, "Evil" is pretty darn good, but there's no info on it.  No date, no personnel...  Anyone familiar with that, and know who is singing?  It sounds a little like Tim Owens, but to my knowledge he didn't work with Yngwie until AFTER this release (I think that was re-released in 2000).

First I've heard of it mate.  I'll try and sample that song if I can find it anywhere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2022, 12:04:14 PM »

It’s so annoying that he won’t just get a singer and put out something of quality though. I’m stubborn too but he beats me hands down.

100% agree.  This album was a vast improvement but still such a massive and wasted opportunity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »

First I've heard of it mate.  I'll try and sample that song if I can find it anywhere.

I'm not really a fan of Ripper Owens, but it DOES sound like him, and it's a good track, actually.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »
Stadler, that's Jeff Scott Soto, not Ripper Owens. Sounds like Marching Out era. The first riff sounds just like I'll See the Light Tonight soundwise, and that definitely sounds like Anders Johannson on drums.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2022, 07:11:19 AM »
Stadler, that's Jeff Scott Soto, not Ripper Owens. Sounds like Marching Out era. The first riff sounds just like I'll See the Light Tonight soundwise, and that definitely sounds like Anders Johannson on drums.

I gotta go back and listen; I'm not a huge fan of JSS, frankly, and yet that was really good. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2022, 07:18:27 AM »

I gotta go back and listen; I'm not a huge fan of JSS, frankly, and yet that was really good.

Marching  Out is easily a TAC Top 10, maybe even Top 5 vocal performance.