Author Topic: My frustrations with Growls, Screams, and other Harsh Vocals  (Read 16863 times)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: My frustrations with Growls, Screams, and other Harsh Vocals
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
I can see where people say rapping is a lot like growling.  The only difference is that while growls suck 90% of the time, rap sucks 100% of the time.

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

0:23 onwards
Thanks for proving my point.
The flow and rhythm is incredible. It's requires careful thought about the right words with the right rhymes with the right inflection with the right timing. Definitely not as easy as it sounds. I actually used to think most/all rap was terrible :facepalm: It's just an easier thought than learning to understand something. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm as white as anyone and I love rap. Go figure  :millahhhh
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2010, 03:24:11 AM »
To be honest I really can't get into rap. I've tried multiple times, and there are a few artists I quite like, but as a whole I simply don't find myself enjoying it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2010, 03:25:20 AM »
To be honest I really can't get into rap. I've tried multiple times, and there are a few artists I quite like, but as a whole I simply don't find myself enjoying it.
So...was your "lol" an "lol, so true" or "lol, you fail"?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2010, 03:25:52 AM »
It was a lol, you fail.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
Yeah it's just like a guy saying "all metal sucks". Most genres are simply too broad and too varied to dismiss (especially when you know little about them). Of course, you can dislike a genre, but can't you make a broad generalization and expect it to be received with any respect. I think it's better to have the stance "well I haven't heard anything from x genre that interests me yet, but I will keep an open mind" and so forth. Because more often than not in my experience, eventually you do find something that interests you.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 03:36:15 AM »
Ok.  I will no longer say "all rap sucks."  I will instead say, "all rap I have heard so far has sucked."  Happy?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Ok.  I will no longer say "all rap sucks."  I will instead say, "all rap I have heard so far has sucked."  Happy?
yes  ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:40 AM »
I don't really listen to a lot of rap music, but I can definitely appreciate a well written rap.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 07:16:01 AM »
One of the reasons I hate rap with a passion is that it totally took over MTV, Grammys, etc and it's so saturated into the music biz it's just pathetic. Even if some people found enjoyment in it, it should not have become as prevalent as it has.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:42 AM »
That's basically how I feel about harsh vocals in metal. It's bad enough that they're awful most of the time, but the fact that they've come to almost completely dominate it over time, and bands pretty much seem to insist on them nowadays, makes it even worse.