Author Topic: My frustrations with Growls, Screams, and other Harsh Vocals  (Read 16864 times)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Re: My frustrations with Growls, Screams, and other Harsh Vocals
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
I'm going to be the first, and most likely last, person to say the following:

Harsh vox > clean vox

Offline j

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, can I ask what it is that you prefer about harsh vocals?  That is, what makes them "superior" to clean vox, in your view?

-J

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
Out of curiosity, can I ask what it is that you prefer about harsh vocals?  That is, what makes them "superior" to clean vox, in your view?

-J

Most people in this thread have stated that growls have to be very well done for them to appreciate them at all.  For me, that's essentially the way I view clean vocals.  Most of it just doesn't do anything for me.  And like many here find growls to be annoying at times, I find singing to be annoying at times.  For example, Neil Young's vocals completely kill his music for me.

Also, I find anger and aggression to be the emotions I get the most out of when it comes to music in general.  A large part of why I enjoy bands like Opeth so much is the "evil" sound you get from Mikael's, along with other harsh vocalists', growls.

Offline j

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

-J

Most people in this thread have stated that growls have to be very well done for them to appreciate them at all.  For me, that's essentially the way I view clean vocals.  Most of it just doesn't do anything for me.  And like many here find growls to be annoying at times, I find singing to be annoying at times.  For example, Neil Young's vocals completely kill his music for me.

Also, I find anger and aggression to be the emotions I get the most out of when it comes to music in general.  A large part of why I enjoy bands like Opeth so much is the "evil" sound you get from Mikael's, along with other harsh vocalists', growls.

Gotcha.  For the record, clean vocals can definitely suck too, and they can really bring down music at times.  But I see what you're saying.

-J

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »
I think this has been around forever. The first times people really heard harsh vocals was in punk and hardcore punk, then thrash metal. I think there's the roots to what metalcore became like.

It was like when music was becoming more noisy, even in the 60s when simple rock music was absolute shit to people. The kids liked it though, see?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
Thanks Marty. Now I understand.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »
the reality, though, is that the fad will pass away soon enough

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »
the reality, though, is that the fad will pass away soon enough

exactly

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »

-J

I agree with this post. Growls can bring down music, but so can clean vocs. As long as it's well executed, I really don't complain with growls or clean vocs.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »
Bunch of slack-jawed f*ggots around here. Harsh vocals will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 05:33:16 AM »
Bunch of slack-jawed f*ggots around here. Harsh vocals will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Only if your butt slamming your metal boyfriend.

And if you find a girl that likes to have sex to growls, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

She'll eat you alive and wear your skin. :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
Growls are good when executed well, by that I mean when the music calls for them, not when you use them just too. It shows basically an angry emotion. Its pretty hard to make clean vocals fit the hardcore metal style most bands do nowadays, but then again I'm one who thinks those bands needs female vocals since it works well. Examples are The Agonist, Deadlock, Luna Mortis.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
if others understood what I like to call 4C-Syndrome I could totally relate to this with production/compression/mixing/mastering issues.

But as far extreme metal vocals, I have come to the point where if the clean vocals suck; i.e. in tone or frankly, if the singer is sounding totally cheesy buttrock to me (Scar Symmetry for example), I would much rather hear any kind of extreme vocals.

Now on the flipside, a few bands who do them like Dillinger Escape Plan and Deftones (and I'll include Exotic Animal Petting Zoo) the punk-screaming seems so upfront and eventually grates on me, I can't tolerate it.

I might add as well, a few of these immature sounding high-pitched singers like Anthony Green of Circa Survive I have the exact same issue with that others have with extreme vocals. It's like fingernails-on-a-chalkboard that anything good with the music is totally moot given how distracting/annoying/unstomach-able the vocals are. And how high in the mix/upfront they are, that they stick out too much and ruin it.

But most extreme vocals are not so high in the mix, that I tend to focus on the other parts of the music and at times, eventually the vocals start to stand out and become a better part of the band's sound.

But 1st and foremost, I take them in like a rhythm guitar part.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
You know what? Flame me all you want, but I'm gonna say it.

No vocals > Vocals.

In fact:

No music > Music
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
well one day I think I may give up with music and just watch movies and read books, so I'm with you Adami.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin Oh my FUCKING god!! I only just remembered where that's from :D :tup

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »
if the singer is sounding totally cheesy buttrock to me (Scar Symmetry for example), I would much rather hear any kind of extreme vocals.

Huh. Most people regard Christian very very highly, even on the internet.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »

If ever a post and an avatar went perfectly together, this was it!

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
It seems more and more like I have to choose between interesting new stuff with vocals I'm not crazy about or standard metal fare I've heard by a hundred bands already with vocals that are pretty tolerable.

Or you could just listen to instrumental music!  ;D
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
if the singer is sounding totally cheesy buttrock to me (Scar Symmetry for example), I would much rather hear any kind of extreme vocals.

well, apparently I'm not most people. He sounds like so many of those cheesy 80's metal singers, I cannot take his voice seriously, nor enjoy it or the band's music.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »

well, apparently I'm not most people. He sounds like so many of those cheesy 80's metal singers, I cannot take his voice seriously, nor enjoy it or the band's music.
Wait what? Not liking something is fine and dandy but.... are we listening to the same Scar Symmetry? :|

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
It's weird for me.  I can appreciate them, but I rarely ever enjoy harsh vocals, and I find it harder to really care about how good the lyrics are if they're growled at me (of course I guess that helps when the lyrics are really, really bad).  I love Between the Buried and Me.  I enjoy the music so much it makes me hurt in the pants, but I could definitely do with a LOT more clean vocals. 

At the same time... some music seems to fit with harsh vocals... because it's harsh music.  Maybe that's just because I've heard so much of it over the years that it seems normal, but I find it fitting sometimes.  But I still don't really like it all that much.

I like it when a man sings like he has no testicles.  That's the sign of a real man.  No balls, all voice.  Wait, what?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »
I love harsh vocals. Done correctly and in their proper place, and especially coupled with good clean vocals, they enhance music tenfold for me. Opeth and BTBAM being perfect examples of that.

I can understand why you don't like them though. Personal preference. But, it really brings my piss to a boil when uninformed people say "it's just yelling into a microphone and it takes no talent; anyone can do it." Not liking harsh vocals is a matter of opinion. But saying they take no talent to properly execute is simply incorrect.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 02:00:51 AM »
I had a thought the other day;  To me, growled vocals are just like distorted guitar.  I bet a whole bunch of people were up in arms when the first guitarists started using fuzz/overdrive on their guitar.  Growling is just another effect. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
I had a thought the other day;  To me, growled vocals are just like distorted guitar.  I bet a whole bunch of people were up in arms when the first guitarists started using fuzz/overdrive on their guitar.  Growling is just another effect. 

That's a good point.  I could point out that I also don't like balls to the walls distortion all the time in my music also. Used in small amounts as a tool I like it.  Used all the time, not so much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »

It's more thnan an effect. Distorted guitars can still hit every note a non distorted guitar can. Screamers don't hit nearly as many notes as singers.

Flange is an effect. Growling is a style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »
^Yup just like how Rap is a style. Growls have become overused to the point where its cool to growl
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »
I can see where people say rapping is a lot like growling.  The only difference is that while growls suck 90% of the time, rap sucks 100% of the time.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2010, 07:26:20 AM »
I'll take growling over wailing any day.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »
I can see where people say rapping is a lot like growling.  The only difference is that while growls suck 90% of the time, rap sucks 100% of the time.

lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »

It's more thnan an effect. Distorted guitars can still hit every note a non distorted guitar can. Screamers don't hit nearly as many notes as singers.

Flange is an effect. Growling is a style.

Good point.  I think my point still stands though.  Guitarists wanted distortion to give their tone a bit more grit, the same could be said for harsh vocalists. 

Only pedophiles use flange nowadays.  Its so dirty its not funny. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »

lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:10 AM »

lol

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:17 AM »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2010, 02:37:35 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges