Author Topic: Beatles sales on ITunes  (Read 1878 times)

Offline elyster

Beatles sales on ITunes
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:56:55 AM »
https://www.spinner.com/2010/11/24/beatles-sales-bonanza-itunes/

So in the first week they have sold over 450,000 albums and over 2 million singles worldwide.

I don't get it.  Are there people out there who love the Beatles but had no way of getting any of their material until Apple comes along and saves the day?  Do people really think ITunes is the only way of downloading media?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Beatles sales on ITunes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
I don't understand this, surely every family has at least a few Beatles albums between them? I just borrowed them off of my parents years ago.

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:10:42 AM »
No. Like I said in another thread about this topic, I know a good number of people who still only have records and have been thinking of upgrading for awhile now. This gave them an excuse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Again this proves how viable the Beatles are 40 years later and destroys that other thread.  Yes everything fades in time but anomaly like the Beatles is a rare feat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
I know plenty of people who like them enough to download invidual songs or maybe an album or two, but who don't currently own their entire discography.  And remember that there's a whole generation of kids who are just now discovering the Beatles for the first time.

Do people really think ITunes is the only way of downloading media?

Of course not.  But it's probably the easiest, most convenient and most popular.  And we're talking about the Beatles here.  The epitome of mainstream popular music.  The bulk of these downloads are probably not from people who regularly DL lots of music.  I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the general population thinks of music very differently than the way most of us here do.

No. Like I said in another thread about this topic, I know a good number of people who still only have records and have been thinking of upgrading for awhile now. This gave them an excuse.

Hmm... I'm not sure I'd call the switch from vinyl to digital as an "upgrade" :P

Again this proves how viable the Beatles are 40 years later and destroys that other thread.  Yes everything fades in time but anomaly like the Beatles is a rare feat.

Totally.  I was listening to Billy Joel on Howard Stern the other day and Billy was talking about classical music and people like Beethoven and Mozart and how when the music itself is good enough, it will span across generations and will not be limited to the context of its own time, which he followed up by saying "200 years from now, they'll still be listening to The Beatles".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Yep, exactly what I said in that other thread.

Also, vinyl to digital isn't necessarily an "upgrade" in terms of sound quality, but it's hard to argue against the convenience and portability of a decent quality mp3.  And again, we're talking about the masses who "just like the song" and not music nerds such like ourselves.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
See??  The Beatles on iTunes is EXTRAORDINARILY relevant in today's world!!!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline ehra

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

Hmm... I'm not sure I'd call the switch from vinyl to digital as an "upgrade" :P

I think only one of them actually has a working record player, so it actually would be an "upgrade" for most of them  :lol

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
Thats insane!

By the way it's iTunes

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
Doesn't surprise me when you combine the biggest band in the world with the biggest form of digital music distribution in the world.