Author Topic: Tony Banks: Worth listening to?  (Read 944 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Tony Banks: Worth listening to?
« on: November 22, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »
I was watching Genesis Live in Wembley yesterday, and in the documentary Tony Banks said that The Brazilian was more the stuff he has on his solo album. Given my love for that song I'm of course interested. Any suggestions?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Beowulf

Re: Tony Banks: Worth listening to?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Haven't really listed to Tony's solo stuff, but if you like the intermediary Genesis stuff (after Gabriel, before Abacab), check out Mike Rutherford's "Smallcreep's Day".  Some of it sounds as if it were totally lifted from a Genesis album.  Good stuff.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Tony Banks: Worth listening to?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
Tony's solo albums are a bit hit or miss for me.  My favorite is still A Curious Feeling, which is late 70's and uses a lot of the same patches as on Wind & Wuthering and And Then There Were Three.  This can be both good and bad, as the sounds are admittedly dated, but since I first started listening to Genesis around that time, I'm okay with the sounds.  There are both songs and instrumentals; I usually just listen to the instrumentals.

He's had a few bands that were clearly "his" side projects, such as Bankstatement (the title kinda gives it away) that I didn't really care for, and also solo albums such as The Fugitive which isn't too bad, except he decided to sing on this one and he's just not a very good singer.  Previous solo works and side projects always featured other singers.

Another one worthing checking out is Strictly Inc., which features Jack Hues, the singer from Wang Chung.  The songs are good, Hues has a cool voice, and the closing track is a 17-minute prog tune that could easily have been a lost Genesis epic.  Now that I think about it, Strictly Inc. might be my favorite, just edging out A Curious Feeling.

Also, he recorded an instrumental album with a small chamber orchestra called Seven.  It's neo-Classical stuff or whatever you want to call it, and very good.  All those cool chord changes and modulation tricks that early and mid-Genesis were known for were Tony's doing, and he gets to orchestrate it here.  In fact, some of it sounds so much like Genesis, that after a change or two, I expect to hear Phil Collins start singing.