Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70783 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Official Alice Cooper thread v. Welcome 2 My Nightmare, September 2011
« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
The last time I saw him was New Year's Eve 87/88 on the Raise Your Fist and Yell Tour.  Faster Pussycat and Armored Saint opened.   I remember I had a blast at that show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2020, 03:53:54 PM »
That tour was a great show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
Alice Cooper and Armored Saint together.......wowzers  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

As I did in the Judas Priest thread, I wanted to use the vast and diverse Alice Cooper discography to try and pay homage to some deep cuts, some "forgotten songs" that are great and deserve a mention.

What is a "forgotten song" varies according to how much one knows Alice's work; let's just call this a list to remember cool songs without going through the usual suspects such as School's Out, Poison, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Welcome to My Nightmare etc...

So, let's begin going through all the Alice Cooper albums!

---------------------

Well, almost all. Sorry but I have to cheat right at the beginning - I've listened to every Alice Cooper album, included the first two, but they're so different and unrelated to his following albums that I never returned to them, so apologies to PRETTIES FOR YOU and EASY ACTION.

So let's officially start from the third one...

LOVE IT TO DEATH: The album that gave us two immortal Alice tracks (we all know which ones) has a pretty cool tune in Long Way to Go, easy rocking one and to the point, heard it live recently.

KILLER: Maybe not exactly a forgotten gem, but Desperado is an awesome song, very atmospheric and one of my very favorites from the band era.

SCHOOL'S OUT: Not one of my favorite albums, I have to confess. My Stars is a cool interesting tune.

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES: How do you pick a deep cut on an album that's famous from beginning to end? since it's not a fixed presence in the live set I go for Sick Things, very eerie and menacing in a classic Alice way.

MUSCLE OF LOVE: The swan song of the original band is another album I don't connect to that much. I like however the relative simplicity of the opening track, Big Apple Dreamin'.

WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE: Another album when there's no such thing as a "deep cut". I'll spend a word to praise the catchy and jazzy feel of Some Folks.

ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL: I always thought that Didn't We Meet was a great track, theatrical and witty. The whole album is a bit underrated as a whole.

LACE AND WHISKEY: The beginning of the slippery road... another album that I hardly appreciate, but the title track is great and should have been brought back live some time.

FROM THE INSIDE: Another forgotten gem as a whole, this album is a touching journey through mental illness and addiction. Half of the songs on this album would make me so happy if played live. I pick The Quiet Room, very haunting and brutally honest insight into the head of a suicidal person.

FLUSH THE FASHION: Here we enter into "Wow, Alice has lost the plot" territory. Not to crap on these albums because some gem here and there still shines; in this case I spend a word for Pain, a great moody and wicked song that was deservingly brought back live recently.

SPECIAL FORCES: Not into this album. So I'll go the easy way and mention the decent and rocky opener, Who do you Think We Are. A modern re-working would do wonders for this song.

ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN: Pass on this one. I'm not saying it sucks, off the top of my memory someone on this forum likes it a lot, but I can't remember any song from it, aside from the wacky final track "I'm Alive (That Was the Day My Dead Pet Returned to Save My Life)".

DADA: Now this is a surprising album! my favorite by far of his "lesser" ones. Surprisingly deep and diverse. I mention the haunting Former Lee Warmer, dramatic as Steven.

CONSTRICTOR: His comeback album. It's very uneven but, since He's Back is clearly the most famous song (and by far my favorite), I'll mention the gloriously cheesy Life and Death of the Party. '80s cheesy teen drama at its best. So bad that it's good!

RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL: A more convincing output than its predecessor, this one has a terrific closing song: Roses on White Lace. Heavy, brutal in its lyrics and a kickass song though and through.

TRASH: Another "Every song is famous" album. One of the slightly lesser famous songs is the magnificent ballad: Hell is Living Without You. Way better than the other slow piece (Only my heart talkin').

HEY STOOPID: One of my favorite albums, and miles better than the best-selling Trash. Another classic in the Steven saga comes in the form of the final track, Wind-up Toy: great chorus and a reminder of past greatness. Also this album has my favorite Alice ballad, Might as Well Be on Mars which I'll never understand why it didn't became famous as other power ballads of the era.

THE LAST TEMPATION: A mature and more refined album. I think that Bad Place Alone is very groovy and addictive in its own way. The whole album is a forgotten gem however.

BRUTAL PLANET: Alice turns the heaviness to 11! another one of my favorite albums. The closing track, Cold Machines, as heavy as it is I consider it a great love song. Dystopian love song, of course, but it reminds me of the forbidden love in a totalitarian state of 1984.

DRAGONTOWN: The other heavy album, more inconsistent however. Every Woman has a Name is a sweet delicate ballad worth mentioning.

THE EYES OF ALICE COOPER: Back to rock n' roll! so many great songs, I have a soft spot for Novocaine, so catchy and captivating.

DIRTY DIAMONDS: An album that gives me the idea of a wacky assortment of weird characters living in the same dead-end town, somewhere between Texas and Lousiana, dunno. I have to mention the histerical The Saga of Jesse Jane, hilarious from beginning to end.

ALONG CAME A SPIDER: I've always found Catch me If you Can extremely.... catch-y.

WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE: I find it a brilliant sequel: theatrical, witty and all over the place. I love the tribute to Tom Waits that is the song Last Man on Earth. Word of mention also for the final song, I Gotta Get Outta Here, and the revelation of the twist in the storyline.

PARANORMAL: Hopefully for not long, the latest Alice Cooper album, which is a bit hit and miss. I've gotta go looking at the bonus track for this one - one of the two tracks written with the original band, Genuine American Girl. Catchy and rocky, and Alice's humour at its finest. Not to miss!

Now feel free to listen to his entire discography to argue back!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Completely agree on Hey Stoopid. Wind-up Toy is my favourite track on that album.

Offline DTA

You couldn't have posted this at a better time. I'm working my way through Alice's catalog (along with Motorhead) and I'm really surprised by how consistently great I'm finding everything. I have everything from Constrictor through Dragontown (and also Welcome To My Nightmare) and Hey Stoopid is without a doubt my favorite and has become one of my favorite albums of all time. Brutal Planet and Trash would be 2nd and 3rd favorite.

Agreed on Might As Well Be On Mars, a really unique and interesting ballad though Dangerous Tonight is the standout track for me on there. Bed Of Nails, The World Needs Guts, Take It Like A Woman, You're My Temptation, and Roses On White Lace are also my standouts from each album I own. Welcome To My Nightmare and Dragontown are my least favorite so far. I enjoy the heavier side of Alice a bit more but Dragontown just feels like a weaker Brutal Planet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thank you Andrea for brightening up my lunch break. I will absolutely reply later today when I have a keyboard.

Suffice to say  :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

You couldn't have posted this at a better time. I'm working my way through Alice's catalog (along with Motorhead) and I'm really surprised by how consistently great I'm finding everything. I have everything from Constrictor through Dragontown (and also Welcome To My Nightmare) and Hey Stoopid is without a doubt my favorite and has become one of my favorite albums of all time. Brutal Planet and Trash would be 2nd and 3rd favorite.

Agreed on Might As Well Be On Mars, a really unique and interesting ballad though Dangerous Tonight is the standout track for me on there. Bed Of Nails, The World Needs Guts, Take It Like A Woman, You're My Temptation, and Roses On White Lace are also my standouts from each album I own. Welcome To My Nightmare and Dragontown are my least favorite so far. I enjoy the heavier side of Alice a bit more but Dragontown just feels like a weaker Brutal Planet.

Hey Stoopid made my top 50 albums.
Title track doesn’t do anything for me but the rest is killer (pardon the pun😀).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
though Dangerous Tonight is the standout track for me

:metal
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:23:05 PM by TAC »

Online faizoff

TRASH: Another "Every song is famous" album. One of the slightly lesser famous songs is the magnificent ballad: Hell is Living Without You. Way better than the other slow piece (Only my heart talkin').

HEY STOOPID: One of my favorite albums, and miles better than the best-selling Trash. Another classic in the Steven saga comes in the form of the final track, Wind-up Toy: great chorus and a reminder of past greatness. Also this album has my favorite Alice ballad, Might as Well Be on Mars which I'll never understand why it didn't became famous as other power ballads of the era.

THE LAST TEMPATION: A mature and more refined album. I think that Bad Place Alone is very groovy and addictive in its own way. The whole album is a forgotten gem however.
These are the only three albums of Alice Cooper I own and listened to them when they came out. I still think The Last Temptation is one of the best albums of all time. I believe Derek Sherinian plays on it. Chris Cornell is amazing on the tracks he sings.

Hey Stoopid comes very close to it as well, a huge list of guest players and Slash and Mick Mars Joe Satriani play on some of my fav tracks.
It's a shame I never checked out anything else, might have to do it one day and your descriptions certainly are tempting me to do so.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ozzy554

DADA is in my opinion his most underrated album. Fresh Blood and Pass the Gun Around are two of my favorite Alice songs in general.

I also have a soft spot for King of the Silver Screen from Lace and Whiskey
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
DADA is in my opinion his most underrated album. Fresh Blood and Pass the Gun Around are two of my favorite Alice songs in general.

I also have a soft spot for King of the Silver Screen from Lace and Whiskey

Yes and yes.

Offline MirrorMask

Songs mentioned so far that I totally love:

Dangerous Tonight
Bed of Nails
You're My Temptation

But also Fresh Blood and Pass the Gun Around are quite nice. And yes, King of the Silver Screen is prime witty Alice.

These are the only three albums of Alice Cooper I own and listened to them when they came out. I still think The Last Temptation is one of the best albums of all time. I believe Derek Sherinian plays on it. Chris Cornell is amazing on the tracks he sings.

Hey Stoopid comes very close to it as well, a huge list of guest players and Slash and Mick Mars Joe Satriani play on some of my fav tracks.
It's a shame I never checked out anything else, might have to do it one day and your descriptions certainly are tempting me to do so.

Well, from this lot, you can either go back in time, or go forward.

If you go back in time, the classic era when "Alice Cooper" was a band is essential in the history of hard rock. Love it to Death, Killer, School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies are hard rock royalty and they're absolutely essentials. Equally famous and important is Alice's first solo album, Welcome to My Nightmare - from that album onwards, "Alice Cooper" no longer represents a band but the man himself, and various lineups for the studio albums and the tours.

The period that goes from Goes to Hell to Dada is the most experimental and divisive ones. There are some great albums there and the albums that aren't great still have a killer song or two, but they're best left for last.

Trash was coming off the heels of two comeback albums, riding on the hair metal wave of the '80s; you can see for yourself the progression that happened from Trash to Hey Stoopid, and from that to The Last Tempation.

Then he went in pairs for a while: he did two ultra heavy albums (Brutal Planet, most will agree it's the best of the two) and Dragontown, and then he did two back to the roots, very basic hard rock albums, The Eyes of Alice Cooper and Dirty Diamonds. My personal preference is for Eyes.

Then the lastest albums after that are a mixed bag. Along Came a Spider is dark and a bit heavy, Welcome 2 My Nightmare is very theatrical and diverse, and Paranormal is another back to basic album full of short hard rock songs.

My personal suggestions would be either travel back in time and listen the absolute essentials album of the Alice Cooper band that made history, or go forward in time from where you left and pick up Brutal Planet.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

---------------------

Well, almost all. Sorry but I have to cheat right at the beginning - I've listened to every Alice Cooper album, included the first two, but they're so different and unrelated to his following albums that I never returned to them, so apologies to PRETTIES FOR YOU and EASY ACTION.

So let's officially start from the third one...

Yup.

OK.

Love It To Death The first album they did with Bob Ezrin. He basically teaches them how to play and write. This is a cool album and features my all time favorite Alice track, The Ballad Of Dwight Fry. I love Is It My Body too.

Killer This and School's Out are essential to me. Killer is amazing and proves that this band was ahead of its time by a mile. The songwriting still stands up today. As Mask mentioned, Desperado is so damn cool. The one-two punch of Dead Babies and Killer to close the album is jaw dropping. Gripping lyrics and Killer is so intense it makes me hyperventilate.
Killer also has what I consider one of the original prog-metal song with Halo Of Flies.

School's Out I consider Schools Out way underrated and underappreciated. Sure everyone knows the title track, but this album is masterful in its storytelling and really interesting musically. There was just no blueprint for them. My Stars is incredible, but my favorite is Blue Turk. I also love Alma Mater. Everyone owes it to themselves to listen to this album.

Billion Dollar Babies To me, I consider B$B well below the previous three albums. It is nowhere near as heavy, but it certainly has its creepy moments in I Love The Dead.

Muscle Of Love Alice, wanting to keep the concepts with Ezrin going vs the band that did not. They record the unconceptual Muscle Of Love without Ezrin. There's still a few great tunes on this. Teenage Lament, The Man With The Golden Gun (which they submitted for the movie), and Big Apple Dreamin'.

Welcome To My Nightmare Alice's first solo album. This is a masterpiece, and really threw Alice into the mainstream. The tour was amazing with a ridiculously talented band. The Steven Trilogy (Years Ago-Steven-The Awakening) is incredible. Really creepy. The title track is a classic.

Goes To Hell I love this album. As good as WTMN is, I find I enjoy this just as much. My only issue with it is that it is basically the same story. I love Give The Kid A Break, especially the back and forth with the devil singers. I love what he does with I'm The Coolest, where he plays the Devil in a totally campy way.

Lace And Whiskey I agree, this album is a little weak. I think King Of The Silver Screen is excellent as is You And Me. Side 1 is pretty decent, but Side 2 is rough.

From The Inside This album was cowritten with Bernie Taupin. Good call on the Quiet Room. It's one of my all time favorites. Also like Millie And Billie. Creepy stuff, though so beautifully sung.

Flush The Fashion Definitely not hard rock, but I love this album. In fact, I'm a huge fan of this era. Alice is pretty fried for the next few years, but there are some great songs. Pain, Clones, Nuclear Infected, Grim Facts, Model Citizen, Headlines.

Special Forces As Mask said, other than the great Who Do We Think We Are, there's not much else. There's tons of footage of Alice doing promos for this album.

Zipper Catches Skin Sorry mask....I freaking love love love this album. It is so quirky and funny.
Adaptable, I Like Girls, Remarkably Insincere, Tag, You're It, I Better Be Good. Holy crap, that run of songs is excellent. Alice rules on this album.

Dada Really interesting album. Alice was so out of it on this. This album was really Bob Ezrin and Dick Wagner's. Speaking of Wagner, his guitar solo on the incredible Pass The Gun Around is spine tingling. I love Alice's humor on I Love America, and Fresh Blood and Former Lee Warmer is downright creepy.

Constrictor I wish Constrictor had Raise Your Fist And Yell's production. There's some really powerful tunes on this that are castrated by the production. The World Needs Guts, Thrill My Gorilla, and Teenage Frankenstein could have been so much better. Really enjoyable album that's quite easy on the ears.

Raise Your Fist And Yell This is a great album. A couple of clunkers on Side 1, but Side 2 is all out incredible. As Mask Says, Roses On White Lace is great, and is one of my all time favorite Alice tracks. He finally put it in the set, and then the lockdown happened. Prince Of Darkness is fantastic, and Gail is so freaking wild, especially as it leads into Roses.

Trash Alice goes all Desmond Child. Brings in Bon Jovi and Aerosmith to help out. I really liked this when it came out. My favorite song on this is Why Trust You. Love the lyrics and the delivery. Alice is great on it. Sorry Mask, but Hell Is Living Without You makes me gag. I don't consider this a great album, as many more have aged much better.

Hey Stoopid As many of you have said, this is a great album. If they could just cut Burning Our Bed and Loves A loaded Gun, it'd be much better. Dangerous Tonight and Wind Up Toy are the standouts for me. But Might As Well Be On Mars, Snakebite, Hurricane Years, Die For You. Mon...all so good.

The Last Temptation Alice was on a roll at this point. This album is solid as hell. I even love the single, Lost In America. But Nothing's Free, Bad Place Alone, and Cleansed By Fire are all excellent tunes. But puleeze Chris Cornell, shut yer yap.

Brutal Planet I was first really thrown off by this album. It took me a long time for it to click. I'm not really a fan of this style. But I actually love half the album and I don't care for the rest. I love Sanctuary, Pick Up The Bones, It's The Little Things, and Cold Machines with its great chorus.

Dragontown Easily one of my least favorite Alice albums. I love The Triggerman, but after that, aside from Disgracedland, there's nothing here I care for.

The Eyes Of Alice Cooper I personally think this album is amazing and I recommend it whenever I can. This is an old school garage styled rocker. This is the only album he's done that makes me think of the original band. The only song I don't care for is Detroit City, but I could just list every other song on this album. This is a fantastic Alice Cooper album, and if you've never heard it, then do it!

Dirty Diamonds Kind an eclectic mix of songs. But it's a nice album that's easy on the ears. Best song is easily Six Hours. Really cool track. I love Perfect. Very funny.

Along Came A Spider Besides Easy Action and Pretties For You, this is easily my least favorite Alice Cooper album. At least Dragontown has Triggerman. This has nothing.

Welcome Two My Nightmare I must say, I never liked this when it came out. But I think it's an OK album. Not much to write home about.

Paranormal Not sure it was worth the six year wait but I like this album. Short and sweet. Fireball is amazing, and I love Dynamite Road. Reminds me a lot of Zipper Catches Skin. The album ends strong with Holy Water, Rats, and the very cool but unlike anything else on the album The Sound Of A.

Offline ozzy554

The Sound of A is one of my favorites from paranormal and I agree that it's a strong end to the album. Sounds so unlike the rest because it was written decades ago. Basically everybody was surprised how good it was so they dusted it off for the album.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is that right? I've never followed up on the backstory.

Online faizoff

Cool breakdown TAC and MirrorMask I have heard some of the classic Killer and Babies songs, just not whole albums. I haven't followed any of the post Temptation stuff. I'll have to carve out some time to dig in.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Post Temptation, if you like the 2000's hard rock sound, check Brutal Planet. If you like Old School Garage style rock, then check out The Eyes. Those are the two strongest albums post Temptation.

Me, I highly prefer The Eyes.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
TAC, Mask, I have a question for Alice experts:

I feel there's a great magical Alice with Glen Buxton, and a great Alice without Glen, but with less magic. Kinda like Bowie with or without Mick Ronson.

Do you feel the same? Is it a plausible impression?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TAC, Mask, I have a question for Alice experts:

I feel there's a great magical Alice with Glen Buxton, and a great Alice without Glen, but with less magic. Kinda like Bowie with or without Mick Ronson.

Do you feel the same? Is it a plausible impression?

I can't relate to anything Bowie...

Regarding Buxton, the real genius of that band was Michael Bruce. And I think Dennis Dunaway was incredible. Incredible.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
 :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Honestly Alex, the lead guitar is the least impressive thing about those early albums. To me, the songwriting on the longer songs...The Ballad Of Dwight Fry, Dead Babies, Halo Of Flies, along with the catchy songs like No More Mr Nice Guy, School's Out that really separate them. They adhered to no blueprint and were quite versatile on those albums. I have forever called them America's most underrated classic rock band.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Oh, I agree, especially about Halo. I was thinking more along the lines of someone keeping Alice in check. But you know me, I love to fantasise on this shit  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How do you mean keeping him in check?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Ego in songwriting

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think in those days, the ego in songwriting belonged to Ezrin. The band were more or less brothers on those early albums. Once Billion Dollar Babies broke, it really became more about Alice Cooper, the singer. He was out there doing all of the press and became the focal point. The band really fought to dial that back for Muscle Of Love, even refusing to work with Ezrin, but by that time the cat (Alice) was out of the bag.

Of the original 5 members, Buxton has always struck me as being the guy most "along for the ride".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:04:15 PM by TAC »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Gotcha, thank you. I need an Alice dive, it's been too long.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Let mew know when. I'll buddy up with you. I love Alice Cooper.

Offline max_security

When I started going to elementary school my mom had to hide the Killer album ( I liked to recite the tune " Dead Babies " , lol ). But that album is a musical adventure man , some organized heavy music with a mood that had not been done before. It has always seemed that this album held something that his other albums at the time lacked , integrity maybe. This album is burned into the root directory of my brain falling asleep with headphones at 3-4 years old for sure.

Offline MirrorMask

Going through TAC's list....

- I wanted to avoid the classics but yeah, The Ballad of Dwight Fry is a timeless masterpiece. Is it my body is fun too.

- Halo of Flies for the longest time didn't really register me, but now I like it a lot. I think it was their very intention to show (off) that they could write long and complex songs.

- Yeah, the Steven trilogy is stellar.

- I think too that all things considered, Goes to Hell is pretty cool.

- Millie and Billie would have been my other choice to mention a gem from this album. It's so apparently cheesy but turns creepy real fast.

- Glad for you that you like Zipper Catches Skin : D Dada has indeed many great songs and yeah, I Love America is prime Alice humour. Also Scarlet and Sheba is quite cool.

- The World Need Guts when played live was pretty nice.

- Indeed side two of Raise your Fist and Yell is fantastic. He played Roses on White Lace live? damn!!! I wish he had put it earlier in the set for my gig!

- Trash is definitively "Alice goes Bon Jovi / Aerosmith". House of Fire is basically a Bon Jovi song, I can so picture Jon singing it.

- Hey, Love's a Loaded Gun is nice! : P but all the album is great. Hey Stoopid, Snakebite, the other songs you mentioned... really, how THIS was not the smash hit success that Trash was?

- So I'm not the only one not crazy about Chris Cornell's guest spot in Silent Prayer... great album however, there's not really a bad track on this.

- Pick Up the Bones is one of my all time favorite Alice songs. And yeah, Dragontown didn't live up to its predecessor.

- The Eyes is indeed full of awesome songs! What do you Want from Me, Man of the Year, Love Should Never Feel Like This, the absurdity of The Song that Didn't Rhyme, the funny but creepy This House is Haunted... really, garage rock at its best.

- Six Hours is indeed so cool! also another word for the eerie and pyschedelic Zombie Dance that closes the album.

- Fireball is surely one of the best songs on Paranormal. I also like the title track, but it seems to end the moment it was starting to turn into something great. The Sound of A reminds me vaguely of the trippy atmosphere of Zombie Dance.

Offline Lowdz

I'm more a fan of the 80s hair metal Alice and haven't liked anything post Last Temptation. I got on board with Constrictor, which was half great, then I got The Alice Cooper Show, which I loved. The ballads on there were great.
I love RYFAY - I saw Alice for the first time on this tour.
Trash is great.
Hey Stoopid made my top 50. Saw him again this tour but was gutted when the band started and Vinnie Moore wasn't there like he had been on the US tour.
Last Temptation is excellent too.

Going back, I struggled with the 70s production on the masterpieces like B$B, Killer, School's Out didn't do anything for me. WTMN is great.

But I absolutely love From The Inside. It has a special place in my heart as a psychiatric nurse. The Quiet Room and How YOu Gonna See Me are such great ballads. Alice has always done great ballads.

I've never bothered with the other albums tbh.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Ok, I'm diving. Pretties for You, I'm in the midst of a spectral speech in Fields of Regret as I'm writing.

This was totally unexpected. It seems to me we're in freak-beat territory here, and bouncing between Zappa / Captain Beefheart and early Pink Floyd.

I like some dissonances though, the freak drumming, and the fuzz guitar doing psychedelic shit.

I would have never guessed they had a psych-avantgarde debut. It's funny.

I'm at Levity Ball right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll run through them tonight.

And yes, they should sound like Zappa since he basically recorded them.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Oh, that explains a lot. I'm at Reflected and I sense some garage rock spunk and winks to UK music in contrast with the overall Zappism

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Love Dennis Dunaway's baseline on the Fields Of Regret solo.