Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70506 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alice Cooper thread v. Welcome 2 My Nightmare, September 2011
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »
https://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1001878

10 out 10 on Bravewords.

Releasing a sequel album is always a risky proposition and even riskier when the first disc was released over thirty-five years ago and is considered a masterpiece by the rock community, but Alice Cooper has never backed away from a musical challenge and fans can rejoice as the veteran rocker and Canadian-born producer Bob Ezrin have created an equally comparable chef d’oeuvre. Stealing musical motifs from the first Nightmare album, Cooper takes his fans on a musical journey through his best work of the ‘70s. 'A Runaway Train' is a long lost cousin to 'Ubangi Stomp' (from Lace & Whiskey). 'Last Man On Earth' features a sneering Cooper vocal and feels like it was lifted straight out of a Vaudeville show while 'Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever' (witty lyrics and all) sounds like a 2011 update of the Cooper classic 'Clones (We’re All)'. Pop starlet, KE$HA, shares the mic with The Coop on 'What Baby Wants' for a strangely entertaining Alice dance tune (think KISS’ 'I Was Made For Lovin’ You', but with tongue firmly planted in cheek). 'The Underture' closes out the album with snippets (a megamix if you will) of the original 'Welcome To My Nightmare', 'Only Women Bleed', 'Black Widow' and more. The reuniting of the members of the original Alice Cooper band (Neal Smith, Michael Bruce, and Dennis Dunaway) can only be described as ‘magical’. While original Nightmare band member, Dick Wagner, is the ‘cherry-on-top’. In all, Welcome 2 My Nightmare is Cooper’s best and most consistent work since 1975 and will reignite the passion in long-time fans.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
That's a pretty hefty weight to put on the album.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
Absolutely fucking amazing. Like holy fucking shit that was awesome.

The set was:

The Black Widow 
Brutal Planet 
I'm Eighteen
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies 
No More Mr. Nice Guy 
Hey Stoopid 
Is It My Body 
Halo of Flies 
I'll Bite Your Face Off 
Muscle of Love
Only Women Bleed 
Cold Ethyl 
Feed My Frankenstein 
Clones (We're All) 
Poison 
Wicked Young Man 
Killer (excerpt)
I Love the Dead (excerpt)
School's Out (w/Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2)
-----------
Elected

And everything was awesome. Like...holy shit awesome. I mean, I saw him before, but I was young and couldn't appreciate it. Now, holy crap. One of the sickest shows I've seen and by far the best show of this year's concert season.

Highlights (granted, there were no "low"lights):

Brutal fucking Planet
I'm Eighteen
No More Mr Nice Guy (for some reason, this kicks so much more ass live)
A 46784567 minute Halo of Flies
Me forgetting Cold Ethyl was on the set and flipping shit when they started to play it

Some chick a few rows ahead of us started getting visibly ticked off and throwing Alice the finger because he was kicking the crap out of a woman doll in Cold Ethyl. :lol Had me cracking up so hard I nearly pissed myself.

I also scored a pick from one of the guitarists. I was ready to go and my step dad saw it at my feet.

Also, the new song was pretty badass. It's hard to judge when you listen to a song first in a live setting but it seemed pretty badass.

Now, the show was different from last time. Last time seemed to be more "show" and less "rock." This time, there weren't very many antics, just straight up ass kicking music. Alice flung money into the crowd during Billion Dollar Babies, brought out the snake in Is It My Body, danced on stage with a fake woman doll in Only Women Bleed, and proceeded to kick the shit out of it in Cold Ethyl, erected a massive Eddie like monster in Feed My Frankenstein, and he chopped his head off after killing some rock press dude in Wicked Young Man.

Awesome show.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2011, 04:34:34 PM »
I really need to see Alice live.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
EEEEEELEEEEECTEEEEED!!!!

And me with Eddie Trunk after the show:

:metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
So, the album came out...early. I'm going to give it a blast tonight after everyone is asleep, as to really let it sink in. Hell yeah!!!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
So, the album came out...early. I'm going to give it a blast tonight after everyone is asleep, as to really let it sink in. Hell yeah!!!!

give us a review asap

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Cole, do you ever eat?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »
Yeah, why?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »

give us a review asap

Will do. I need to listen to it a few times before it will be a good one.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
Yeah, why?
You're the skinniest motherfucker I've ever seen.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
Oh, now I get it. Oh yeah, I'm pretty skinny. Not insanely insane, but yeah, I'm pretty thin. I used to weigh a lot and it all fell off...and then some.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Starting now. :caffeine:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
Well, I'm done with my first listen...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
...and?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »
And, I don't want to give a definite opinion after one listen but has of my first listen, I am very disappointed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2011, 12:36:17 AM »
Fair enough.  In that case, please be sure to get back to us after a second or third listen.  Maybe it still start to grab you more.  Like, hopefully.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
I listened to it again. It sounded a lot better. There is still one song that makes me go "WTF were you thinking" and surprisingly, it was not the one with Ke$ha. I'll listen to it a few more times tomorrow and post a review. A real one.

Offline TL

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
I've heard a similar impression from a friend of mine who's a huge Alice Cooper fan. I'll still give the album a spin for myself. I won't lie, my expectations for the album plummeted when I heard that he'd collaborated with Kesha. Not just for the track she's on, but because it doesn't exactly speak well to the decisions that went into the writing process.

Along Came A Spider was awesome, so I'll at least give this a shot.

Also, he really needs to come to Halifax again.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
Along Came a Spider was pretty sweet, and to be honest, the track with Ke$ha is one of the best on the album.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Third listen done. I'll give it another one or two between now and tonight and post a review.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
Last Alice album I enjoyed was Last Temptation, played it the other night and it stood up well. 

I've heard a couple of songs from W2MN and they sounded alright; not great but ok. Will still probably pick it up though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
I thought Along Came A Spider was easily his worst album ever. I'd even put it below Dragontown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Really? Damn, I thought it was a sweet album.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Here's my long ass song by song (sort of) review. I spoil some little nuances, so if you don't want to read it, that's fine.

So, here we go:

Track list:

1. I Am Made of You
2. Caffeine
3. The Nightmare Returns
4. Runaway Train
5. Last Man on Earth
6. The Congregation
7. I'll Bite Your Face Off
8. Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
9. Ghouls Gone Wild
10. Something to Remember Me By
11. When Hell Comes Home
12. What Baby Wants
13. I Gotta Get Outta Here
14. The Underture

Welcome 2 My Nightmare kicks off with it's opening track entitled I Am Made of You. A song that starts of appropriately with the famous Steven keys. It starts off quiet mellow, but builds during the choruses to reach a solo that is 70's cigarette-lighter-waving worthy. Great opening track and it left me wanting more. Moving on to Caffeine. The intro sounds like Alice is trying to get a classic rock vibe going on this one, and it works to an extent. The verse is catchy and solid, and the pre-chorus is badass as well. However, when the song hit's its chorus, it really makes me think "...the hell?" It it really doesn't fit the mold as it has Alice and his cronies screaming "Caffeine Caffeine...Amphetamine" in high pitched screams. The song ends on a rather annoying note with Alice screaming "Gimme Gimme Gimme" for the last 20 seconds of the songs. The Nightmare Returns doesn't have much music, just a character, Steven I presume, talking about his life. The "song" does build a little and includes some decent music reminiscent of that on Welcome to My Nightmare.

Next comes A Runaway Train; a song that begins similarly to Billion Dollar Babies. Not much can be said about this song honestly. It is not worthy of intense praise, nor is it worthy intense criticism. It's not good, but it's not bad. Fortunately, does not take away from the overall feel of Welcome 2 My Nightmare, however, it doesn't really add to the album either. The next song is a pretty different one for Alice with Last Man on Earth. No guitars but horns, pianos, violins, and drums. The entire song is rather catchy, and I dig it. I also think the song marks where the album starts to kick it up a notch.

The following song is vying for my favorite track on the album. The Congregation starts off with a few acoustic guitar parts but kicks off soon after. The verse is sweet, but where the song takes off his during the chorus. I am a fan of gang vocals; having always found them to be epic and badass. Here, Alice sings the chorus with himself, himself, himself, and his cronies. Yay for multi-tracking. This song is begging to be played live, and I think it would fit perfectly as a concert opener. The next song seems to be the song Alice chose to release and to play live to get everyone interested in the album, entitled I'll Bite Your Face Off. The song is pretty good, nothing more, nothing less. It was a welcome addition to the album though I don't quite know why Alice chose to use this song to promote it.

Now, the next song, entitled Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever is by far the biggest "WTF" song on the album. The thing is, it's pretty damn good. The first half of the song has an almost disco-like dance vibe to it. The lyrics are a tad strange, but that's Alice for you. The song breaks out of it's disco-ness into a hard rocking almost metally half equipped with a monster solo. It's a tad weird, even for Alice, but it is very good. I think only Alice could pull off putting a disco/dance song on his rock album and make it work. Now, Ghouls Gone Wild...well, imagine Alice gone the Beach Boys. Very surf rockish, very catchy, and like it is supposed to, it makes you want to have some fun. It's not a great song, but it isn't awful either.

The next song on the album, entitled Something to Remember Me By is Welcome 2 My Nightmare's Only Women Bleed. It's a song that tries to be ballady, and a little something gets lost in the trying. It is probably the only song on the album that I would go as far as calling  "boring." The following song, When Hell Comes Home kicks you in the face with an evil plodding riff from the second the song kicks off. The song never really get's any louder nor does it get softer from the song's, but it plods on with an evil intensity that is trademark Alice. The song is badass, and is by far the most "evil" of any track found on the album. The next song, What Baby Wants is probably the second biggest "WTF" song on the album. I mean, when you think Alice Cooper, you don't think Ke$ha. Thing is, the song works, and it works intensely well. It is tied with The Congregation for my favorite song on the album as of right now. The song is a rocker with an electronic feel pulsing through it. The song is catchy, it's badass, it's heavy at times, and it is just fucking awesome. Ke$ha works on the song, and it just makes you want to get up and do an inverted headbang dance. (Ok, that was my failed attempt at humor, it just makes you want to dance.) Now, I must warn, that most of you guys, especially the old fogies who expect old classic rock Alice on this album, will hate this song. I like it because their is an infectious pulsating dance groove throughout the entire thing that is much more evil and badass than I Was Made For Loving You.

The de facto last song on the album is entitled I Gotta Get Outta Here. It is definitely old Alice working here. The song is pretty happy, despite it's title and probable lyrical content (Escape anyone?) The songs is a pretty decent way to wrap up the story that is Welcome 2  My Nightmare. It's not a phenomenal song, but it works. It has a classic rock vibe to it, so it is a potential pleasure for all. The real album closer is an instrumental entitled The Underture which is just a megamix of some of the more famous bits and pieces of Welcome to My Nightmare and some bits from the new album played by his current band. To be honest, I find it rather superfluous, but I do understand Alice's need to wrap up the Welcome to My Nightmare duo and make everything come full circle.

Overall, the album's good. It has some really good songs, some that are middle of the road, and a few where there is a little something missing. I enjoyed it. I really did. I'd give it a solid 7/10. The problem is, when you have a man like Alice who has devoted the last 42 years making awesome music with albums like Killer, Welcome to My Nightmare, Hey Stoopid, Brutal Planet, and many more, a 7/10 kinda gets lost in the crowd.  I enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy it until Alice releases another album in 2 or 3 years, at which point, he will be in his mid 60's. The man is an icon and he knows how to release good, enjoyable music, and here, he did just that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:38:44 AM by 73109 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
thanks for the review

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
I love this album so much.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
I'm interested in what you thought of my review, and I would be very interested in reading your own.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2011, 03:41:24 AM »
For me your review is pretty spot on, though you seem to like Last Man On Earth alot more than I do. You were right in that it was a wtf moment but not in a good way! I love the disco song too, sounds rather like something Bill Bailey (British musical comedian) would do, and I love the German accents-very Kraftwork.
There's alot of autotune on this album, sometimes for the effect as in the opening, but it is a bit distracting at times. Good album, and alot better than I expected after recent output. It won't be toppling Hey Stoopid, RYFAY, From The Inside, Killer etc from the top of the pile though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hey Pod, here is the thread. I'll have to reread it to catch up!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I finally was able to watch Super Duper Alice Cooper. It's the new movie from Banger Films (Metal Evolution, Flight 666, Beyond The Lighted Stage).

Just want to say that it was incredible. I'm very familiar with his story so I wondered how it would be presented but I figured two things:
1. It would be well done, and
2. There would be tons of great old footage and photos.

It was very well done, fantastically edited, from the opening narrative to Hello Hooray, to the brilliantly placed Alma Mater played during the credits. The way they did it with the story being narrated over photos and video clips was great. You actually never see anyone speaking.  Really awesome film. Everyone should check it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dick Wagner passed away yesterday. Did a lot of work in Alice's early solo career.
https://bravewords.com/news/former-alice-cooper-guitarist-dick-wagner-dead-at-71

Used to do secret solos for Aerosmith, Kiss, and many others in the 70's.

One of his best moments is his solo on Pass The Gun Around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6hsMtP5zSQ

Pass The Gun Around is the final track on Alice's 1983's DaDa album. Alice would enter rehab for the final time when this album was finished. If you listen to the lyrics to this song, it gives a pretty clear picture of where Alice was at this point.

Offline Mladen

Damn, I love that song, and DaDa is such an underrated gem. I wasn't too familiar with Dick Wagner, but still, sad news.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
M, Dick Wagner was on a Pod Cast a few weeks ago discussing DaDa in depth for about an hour. I'm trying to find it for you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll be sure to spin Welcome To My Nightmare tonight.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.