Author Topic: Fluffy's Favourite Albums  (Read 5737 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »
Nothing  :metal :metal

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
I do NOT understand the love that NMH gets, especially that album.  Gave it plenty of chances, can't get past the horrid vocals and uninteresting music.  Just not my thing, whatever it is.
I love the vocals, though I can fully understand why you, or anybody, wouldn't. And the music... well, I really like my folky stuff, and on top of that, I think they throw a lot of interesting instrumentation into the mix for folk, which really spices it up.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Nothing :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
25 through 21:

Black Sabbath – s/t
Black Sabbath’s debut remains one of the greatest statements made in the history of metal. Though Paranoid is normally the album that receives more praise, and it certainly has a handful of tracks stronger than any here, Sabbath’s self-titled is the better all-round album, and there are some classic numbers here too in any case. Highlights for me are the groovy, harmonica-led The Wizard, and the closing extended blues workout of Sleeping Village – Warning.

Led Zeppelin – IV
It might be a typical pick, but LZIV is Led Zeppelin’s finest moment by quite some margin. The album provides a perfect balance between the two sides of Led Zeppelin, the striving ethereal folk and the driving heavy rock. IV is also their strongest set of songs, and its offerings of the band’s different facets are all among the band’s best. Not to mention that, as a review of the album I once saw put it quite bluntly, it’s “the one with Stairway to Heaven on it.”

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
Dylan is a singular personality in music. He takes genres, bends them to suit his own wishes with little regard for their norms or conventions, and then moves on. On Freewheelin’, his second album - his first was simply a collection of folk standards - Dylan does this for the first time, rewriting folk and introducing himself. This album is one man, his guitar and his harmonica, yet it boasts incredible variety, featuring jawdropping protest pieces (Blowin’ in the Wind, A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall), touching love songs (Girl from the North Country), and showcases for Dylan’s bizarre wit (I Shall Be Free, Talkin’ World War III Blues). 

System of a Down – Toxicity
Toxicity, like A Rush of Blood…, Scenes from a Memory and Paranoid, was one of the defining albums of my high school years. It was that rare album that both of my brothers and I all loved equally, and a cornerstone of the road trip playlist amongst friends. Now nine years old, Toxicity perfected SOAD’s brand of quirky alt-metal, as the band’s sound leaped forward in quality. In fact, as the world soon found out with the release of Steal This Album!, SOAD were positively overflowing with ideas at this point in their career.

The Verve – A Northern Soul
I had this album on tape years ago, but found the tuneful Britpop still largely immersed in dreamy, effect-laden shoegaze impenetrable at the time. I recently stumbled upon it again, and was totally smitten. A Northern Soul revolves around the bleak theory that you were born and will die against your will, and in the meantime, there is little you can rely on but loneliness, pain and feeling lost. Ashcroft reacts to this in an intoxicated haze with energy and edge. He seethes bitterly; he crumbles powerlessly; he rises in hopeless defiance; for the most part though, he’s putting on a brave face and just trying to come to terms with the idea.

My descriptions are slowly getting a bit longer after all.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:12 AM »
Sabbath and Zepp!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
+infinity for SOAD

Really great list, Fluufa.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
I don't think I'll start on my top 20 for a few days or so, but here's a list of albums that didn't quite make the grade, i.e. numbers 60 through 70ish.

The Velvet Underground and Nico
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Dave Matthews Band – Live in Chicago at the United Center
Radiohead – Kid A
Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory
Strokes – First Impressions of Earth
Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Megadeth – Rust in Peace
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme

Offline jsem

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
I don't think I'll start on my top 20 for a few days or so, but here's a list of albums that didn't quite make the grade, i.e. numbers 60 through 70ish.

Radiohead – Kid A
Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Megadeth – Rust in Peace

*rages*
How did A Love Supreme not make your top 10?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »
How did Mezzanine, Live In Chicago, Morning Glory and A Love Supreme not make your top 50?  :sadpanda: Still, amazing, and amazingly varied, list so far.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 04:17:46 PM »
I'm not sold on Mezzanine to such an overwhelming degree as a lot of people seem to be. A part of me actually suspects I may prefer their earlier albums, which I still haven't heard.

But as I've said, there's a lot of movement in this list, especially below 25. Albums that were in this didn't-quite-make-it bracket a few weeks ago might be in the lower reaches by now, if I sat and really studied it, which was half of the reason I wanted to post them as well.

It would be impossible for A Love Supreme to make it higher than Blue Train though of course, by logic, since that's my favourite Coltrane album, and that sits in the early 30s at the moment. ALS isn't far behind it, but there's a lot of great albums out there, so it didn't quite make the list on the day I finally said "screw it" and started posting.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
20 through 16:

Shivkumar Sharma, Brijbushan Kabra, Hariprasad Chaurasia - Call of the Valley
Portraying a day in the life of a Kashmiri shepherd, this is the perfect beginners’ Indian classical album. Again, you have the duo of Sharma on santoor and Chaurasia on flute, and now supported by Kabra, playing – would you believe it – guitar. The very use of this instrument makes Call of the Valley instantly more accessible to the Western listener, but on top of this, the pieces are far more concise than most music of this sort. Some of the epic scale is lost, of course, but together, the series of songs achieves a sense of tranquil completeness that more than makes up for it.   

Opeth - Blackwater Park
This is the Opeth album of my favourite three that I would put on the least often, but I really can’t deny it the title of “the best them”. This was the first Opeth album I bought, back in 2002, and it was my luck that I got into Opeth in their finest moment. Though it has a bit more death vocals than I’d prefer nowadays, there was a ton of things Opeth did best on this album: the guitars are layered to create a sweeping, dense atmosphere; the acoustic sections have a greater sense of purpose and poignancy within the songs; and their relatively repetitive and lengthy songwriting seems the most justified here. If I had to give an award for most beautiful metal album, this’d probably get it.

Florence + the Machine – Lungs
This album may fall down the list with time – it’s by far the album in the top 20 I’ve heard the most recently, around six months ago – but for now, here it is. Lungs is a glorious, flamboyant explosion of arty pop that still doesn’t fail to leave my jaw on the floor. Somehow, it manages to get away with such a colourful description despite largely dark lyrics. In fact, if anything, they only add to the mystique of the album, not in the least because they’re sung by Florence Welch, who soars over the music with confidence and power that has to be heard to be believed. If you haven’t checked this album out yet, here’s your chance.

Machine Head - Burn my Eyes
A debut so brilliant, Machine Head’s entire career has played itself out in its shadow. On Burn my Eyes, Machine Head played with the attitude and groove of early nineties metal, but pushed the speed and fury of eighties thrash right back to the forefront. Add lyrics that explore the decaying underbelly of modern society, spat forth by Robb Flynn, one of the most earnest and emotive metal vocalists out there, and you have a colossal metal album. Every track is incredibly well realized, but for the sake of naming a few tracks, Davidian, None But My Own, and I’m Your God Now are some personal favourites. 

John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess – An Evening With
During my latter years at high school, I would occasionally play my friends Dream Theater, and most weren't fussed at all. This album, however, never received a single complaint; in fact, my friends would often request that I put it on. I always loved this album, and over time, it’s become the standout album of DT/DT-related material for me as well. Both Petrucci and Rudess play brilliantly for the whole length of the album, crafting jazzy pieces that nicely balance acoustic and electric playing and teem with exciting and vibrant solos. Truth is by far the standout track, and would likely make a list of my five favourite songs, but there are plenty of other highlights.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
Florence + the Machine – Lungs
This album may fall down the list with time – it’s by far the album in the top 20 I’ve heard the most recently, around six months ago – but for now, here it is. Lungs is a glorious, flamboyant explosion of arty pop that still doesn’t fail to leave my jaw on the floor. Somehow, it manages to get away with such a colourful description despite largely dark lyrics. In fact, if anything, they only add to the mystique of the album, not in the least because they’re sung by Florence Welch, who soars over the music with confidence and power that has to be heard to be believed. If you haven’t checked this album out yet, here’s your chance.

Florence :heart :heart :heart
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
Florence and the Machine is good stuff.

Never heard the JP + JR Evening With, though I've seen it in the stores plenty of times.  This gives me a reason to pick it up.

IV is a good Zeppelin album, but I prefer Houses of the Holy and II.

WTF AT NOT HAVING KID A IN THE TOP 50?  If I don't see In Rainbows, OK Computer, or the Bends at all I'm gonna rage  :biggrin:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
WTF AT NOT HAVING KID A IN THE TOP 50?  If I don't see In Rainbows, OK Computer, or the Bends at all I'm gonna rage  :biggrin:
Dude, he still has fifteen chances to completely ruin his list. ;)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 03:26:26 AM »
Kid A's my favourite Radiohead album, so that won't be happening. I mentioned in the Radiohead thread a while ago that though I worship a list of my 25 favourite tracks of theirs, beyond that, I'm not so fussed. There's a good chunk of their stuff I just don't care for, and inevitably, that means I don't really love any of their albums as a whole.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:30 AM »
15 through 11:

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
On Frances the Mute, the Mars Volta’s vision of a dizzying collage of unified musical approaches was achieved in even more style than on Deloused in the Comatorium. As one review I read at the time of the album’s release stated, here, they had bent the musical vocabulary in ways no band ever had, and were saying things previously unsaid. There’s a concept to the album, something about a (mute?) man searching for his mother, but Bixler-Zavala’s abstract lyrics serve not to tell a story, but to paint images that evoke the bleak and cacophonous tone of the music itself. If you’re after a highlight, look no further than Cassandra Geminni, possibly the greatest prog epic ever written.

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
The third Dylan album on this list, Blood on the Tracks is often labeled “the quintessential break-up album”. Dylan had been happily married for years, which had reflected itself in his music, even up to Planet Waves, released in 1974. But his wife Sara Lownds left him later that year, and it released an avalanche of unrest in Dylan himself, which is captured on Blood on the Tracks. Almost every song deals with some angle of his break-up - separation, devastation, loneliness, bitterness, agony. This is about as beautiful as Dylan’s music, and about as direct and emotionally bare as his lyrics ever got. You can also find a nice epilogue to this album on its followup, Desire, in the haunting Sara, Dylan’s final plea to his wife to reconcile, recorded in one take, with his wife right there in the studio.

John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea
Of all the albums on this list, this one fought the hardest to get here. I was on the verge of abandoning it for over a year, but in the end, Sunrise Over Sea was undeniable. John Butler is one of the most unique and talented guitarists in modern mainstream rock, and here, he and his handpicked trio play with a perfect mixture of astonishing skill and restraint. Blazing roots rock with hippie lyrics make up most of the album, as Butler urges us to look after the spirits of past generations (Company Sin), mother earth (There’ll Come a Time), and, God forbid, our own mothers (Treat Yo Mama). The birth of Butler’s first daughter Banjo - the sunrise in the album’s title – also inspired Butler with a number of breathtaking love songs (Peaches and Cream, What You Want, Bound to Ramble).

Sigur Rós - ( )
I feel like with this album, Sigur Rós attempted to create music which was as pure an expression of emotion as possible, unfiltered by subject matter and thematic content. The songs are untitled (or they were upon initial release, and for me remain so). The lyrics throughout the entire album are a mere few words in an invented language. The singing becomes not the means by which the singer tells us how he’s sad that his girlfriend is gone, or why we should look after the environment, but truly just another instrument. And the music is glacial, picturesque and vast in a way that suggests our own dimensionless inner landscapes. On ( ), there is nothing direct that you can cling to, but nothing that might obstruct you from drawing close to the album either. It passes over you and through you like a slow mist in which your own feelings can be reflected.

Soundgarden – Superunknown
Superunknown towers over the grunge era with an inexplicability like that described in the title of the album itself. It’s an achievement greater than every other grunge album combined, and barely a single rock album released since has even looked like challenging it. Soundgarden’s re-imagining of Sabbath here capitalizes into a seventy minute hard rock marathon which doesn’t weaken for a second. Superunknown is in turn groovy and boisterous (My Wave, Spoonman), crushingly heavy (Mailman, 4th of July), bearing an Eastern touch (Head Down, Half), or just plain old gigantic and anthemic (Superunknown, Black Hole Sun, Like Suicide). Throughout, Cornell snarls and howls and preaches an eerie existential paranoia, in which the enormity of existence and his own inability to cope with it can only result in his own failure and ruin.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
Hell yes for Superunknown and Sunrise Over Sea. I still need to listen to () again, my first listen didn't do much for me but I listened to it on a beach. It's snowing now actually, which seems perfect, so here we go.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
Silverchair – Diorama
Daniel Johns stops taking anti-depressants, decides to face up to the ebb and flow of human emotion, and delivers an extremely affecting, uplifting album. You'll possibly never hear so much orchestra on a mainstream rock album again.

OH YES OH YES OH YES^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

simply jaw dropping talent on this one

Daniel Johns was the best, I hope he is doing well. such a complex guy, I met him on the freakshow tour, they CRUSHED on that tour..Local H opened
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »

Sigur Rós - ( )
I feel like with this album, Sigur Rós attempted to create music which was as pure an expression of emotion as possible, unfiltered by subject matter and thematic content. The songs are untitled (or they were upon initial release, and for me remain so). The lyrics throughout the entire album are a mere few words in an invented language. The singing becomes not the means by which the singer tells us how he’s sad that his girlfriend is gone, or why we should look after the environment, but truly just another instrument. And the music is glacial, picturesque and vast in a way that suggests our own dimensionless inner landscapes. On ( ), there is nothing direct that you can cling to, but nothing that might obstruct you from drawing close to the album either. It passes over you and through you like a slow mist in which your own feelings can be reflected.

God, how did I not love this on first listen. It's exactly as you describe it, it's just a great reflector for your own meditations on stuff. This has replaced NIN's Ghosts I-IV as my 'thinking music' I think, what an amazing album.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
10 through 6:

Ravi Shankar - Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival
Ravi Shankar is the most well-known Indian musician amongst Western audiences, largely because he was a friend of George Harrison, and in fact gave him sitar lessons. This album represents a quarter of his four hour performance at Monterey Pop in 1967, and what I would give to hear the rest.

Rather than just offering us two or three structurally and/or tonally similar ragas, as many Indian classical albums do, here, we are shown three very different sides to Indian music, all in the space of an hour. First, there’s a long, slowly developing meditative Bhimpalasi played by Shankar alone; then a light-speed tabla solo by Ustad Alla Rakha; and finally, a Dadra that starts off traditionally, then transforms midway as Shankar and Rakha let loose and trade solos relentlessly. Together, the passionate and energetic playing across the entire hour, and the variety of the pieces makes this an extremely rewarding album.

Dave Matthews Band – Live Trax Vol. 1: Centrum Center, Worchester, 1998
The Dave Matthews Band’s live music is far better than their studio output, with very few exceptions. You can take almost any song on one of their albums and, after a good look through their live discography, find a better live version. The band’s studio peak was 1998’s Before These Crowded Streets, so it’s little surprise that the live shows they played that year are frankly unreal.

Guests at this show include Tim Reynolds (guitar), Butch Taylor (keyboards), Bela Fleck (banjo) and Jeff Coffin (sax). Tim, Bela, and Jeff’s performances with the band are always special, and Butch, whose playing lost its novelty after some years, was still very fresh here, on his tenth show with the band. Add to this the DMB in finest form themselves, and a setlist with few peers. The opening Seek Up would easily make my five favourite songs ever, and together with Linus and Lucy and Rapunzel, makes up a non-stop thirty five minute show opening. You also have a top-tier Jimi Thing and #41, thunderous versions of Drive In Drive Out and Tripping Billies, and the twenty minute encore of the eastern-tinged The Last Stop.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Astral Weeks seems to be an album which only a fairly small amount of people check out, but many of them worship it. I personally would find it almost impossible to heap too much praise on this, Van Morrison’s second solo album, written in 1968.

Astral Weeks is a strange album that shifts and transforms as you try to pin it down. Is it folk, is it jazz, is it blues, is it rock? Is it a concept album, or are the suggestions of connections between songs just coincidences born of the stream-of-consciousness method in which Morrison wrote most of the lyrics? How much of those lyrics are ghostly reflections on his own youth in Northern Ireland, and how much is fictionalized? Is Madame George really about a transvestite, or does it just sound like it? Astral Weeks is evocative, mystic, indefinable. There is a bizarre power in this song cycle that you might fancy you can sense at the blurry edge of your inner vision, but it darts away before your glance, refusing to be understood, only heard and pondered and admired.

Sigur Rós - Takk…
I always felt as though I liked ( ), but it took me a very long time to warm up to it. In contrast, I listened to this album three times the day I bought it, and such rapid-fire repeat listens are something I almost never do. A year later, a flatmate of mine borrowed it off me, and did the same thing. So what is it about this album that provokes such a response?

To me, Takk… is where Sigur Rós took their otherworldly, picturesque music and “watered it down” just the right amount. Not every track is a daunting, slow motion epic. Many tracks are more focussed than on previous albums, and far more accessible as a result (look at Glósóli, Hoppípolla, and Gong), without losing an iota of Sigur Rós’ swelling, climactic sound. On top of that, the songs on this album work together and culminate into a larger unit even better than on ( ). The deciding factor for me is the tone of the album. While ( ) is quite dark and monotonous, and can be a long slog if you’re not in the right mood, Takk… hovers between peaceful contentment and complete euphoria. This makes it both a more appealing and more powerful album than ( ), which was already a towering achievement itself.

Yes - Close to the Edge
These three songs, just over 35 minutes altogether, feel complete in a way very few albums of much greater length do. It’s both uncanny and yet makes a kind of weird sense at the same time. Though Yes were obviously riding a wave of inspiration here, anyone who knows the story behind this album knows it wasn’t effortless. Close to the Edge was a combination of visionary talent and incredibly hard work. The band achieved such greatness by meticulously honing the pieces, kneading and molding them to perfection.

The number of songs on the album doesn’t even begin to suggest the range of sounds they contain. There are jarring moments, breathtakingly beautiful ones, funky ones, symphonic ones, serene ones. I have only the vaguest idea what these three songs are about, and that’s all I really want. It’s largely indecipherable hippie babble, but, just like is the case with The Mars Volta, you’re not supposed to know exactly what they’re talking about. The lyrics contribute to the tone of the music more than anything. In this case, it leaves the entire album swimming somewhere between the earthly and natural, and the dreamy and fantastic.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 02:46:26 AM »
And finally, since it's the weekend and I have the chance to finish it off now, here's the last lot. The top five doesn't change much at all, so I've built on album descriptions I used in a "Top 5 Albums" thread some time ago.

5 through 1:

Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
The DMB’s early albums are an exercise in throwing rock conventions to the wind and remaining very listenable all the while, and none more so than Before These Crowded Streets. Their cool brand of jazzy alt-rock here receives more treatment from world music than it had yet, and this is the album on which the band’s live jam-band festivities shine through the most strongly in the studio.

This is also the one DMB album where, the majority of the time, the band simply cannot outplay the studio versions of the songs live. They sound far less muted and reserved here than they had in the studio previously. Steve Lillywhite’s production is spot-on, giving many of the songs an intense but intimate quality. But most of all, Boyd Tinsley’s violin has been granted a daring prominence on this album, a move that worked so well, an entire string quartet accompanies him on several songs. Put all this together, and it becomes impossible to recreate these songs live, or to better them. The album’s finest run of tracks is the stretch from Halloween through The Stone and Crush to the Dreaming Tree. But at any rate, this is a rock album with a very unique sound, a fact which almost any song on the album betrays.

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
On Bringing It All Back Home, Dylan tears folk in two. Side A is completely different from everything he had put out at this point, a rollicking assault of electric guitars and strangely upbeat rants. On Freewheelin’, Bob vowed to walk on water to fight injustice, and told how he’d rather walk round the block than drive a sports car. Here on Side A of BIABH, Bob is knocked off his feet by a bowling ball, and then kicked in the face through a telephone. Folk’s earthliness, its sense of conviction and principle are gone, swept off their feet by an urban absurdity, and Bob seems to find this more amusing than anything else. Side B is closer to traditional folk (in part simply because it’s actually acoustic), but still in a world of its own, inhabited by mystical figures, princes, angels and presidents, where the light and dark of the world are so great and kaleidoscopic that they’ve become staggering and perhaps beyond our ability to grasp at all.

Dylan’s genre experiments became far more daring in his next few albums, and what here are clearly two distinct halves soon melded into a single new envisioning of folk and rock and roll, but I find this album, with his joyous first steps into one land and his solemn departure of another, his most enjoyable. BIABH would still make this list were it an EP with just Side B’s four tracks on it.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
The primal, sublime gloom of this album has accompanied me on so many trains and planes, in so many cars and buses, I can hardly listen to it without seeing fields and forests and cities rushing past. And that’s possibly quite fitting, for this album travels such a great distance within ninety minutes. I’m incapable of describing where it actually goes. It’s as if Davis and his caravan of twenty-something musicians plunged into an abyss in the musical landscape, an abyss created by Davis’ own tearing the map in two. Bitches Brew sonically depicts their descent into the underworld, and the wonders they found there in the dark.

This is one of the longest albums I’ve ever heard with so little to drag it down. Highlights are almost impossible to specify; for every moment I name, you’ll find one similar that rivals it on elsewhere on the album, whether it’s the hypnotic din that builds in the middle of Pharaoh’s Dance, the echoing blare of the trumpet in the title track that threatens to fill every corner of every dark room on this earth, or the campfire calm of Sanctuary.

Tool – Lateralus
This must be one of the most uncharacteristic metal albums ever made, one built not around themes of darkness, fantasy, war, anger or hate, but around meditation, enlightenment, empathy and communication. Of course, metal’s shadow still hangs over the music, and over many of Maynard’s lyrics, as he contemplates the obstacles he will face (Schism, The Grudge) and the personal failures he will suffer (Ticks and Leeches) in pursuing such a path. But though the journey is often haunting and unsettling, the listener also encounters the great serenity that Maynard is seeking in the eye of the storm, (Parabol, Disposition), and at times, that serenity builds to a spiritual peaking of perception and understanding, becoming a rejuvenating storm in itself (Lateralus, Reflection).

Prog-metal remains the genre which, though I never delved particularly deeply into it, I fell for the hardest, for which my enthusiasm and captivation was at one point the greatest I’ve yet felt, and Lateralus for me will always be the peak of that genre.

Keith Jarrett – The Köln Concert
In this performance in 1975, Jarrett single-handedly dismissed fusion and electric jazz, and triumphed. In just over an hour, Jarrett proved that jazz could still be unabashedly acoustic AND contemporary. This album is the stately, shimmering antithesis to the dark, rebel call of Bitches’ Brew. Jarrett’s solo performance is just as determined, dynamic and exciting as the ensemble on BB, and all the more remarkable because the waves of music are being created by him alone. The music is improvised the whole way, not a single note was planned in advance, but Jarrett is teeming with spontaneous ideas. To pick a highlight, of the two ‘parts’ to the performance, Part I has more high points and is slightly more consistent, although perhaps only because Jarrett tends to build to the climaxes more gradually and patiently in Part II.

The first time I visited Köln, I broke off from my group of friends for an hour or so and made a pilgrimage to find the Kölner Oper, where this album was performed. I managed to convince the folks in charge to show me the hall where Jarrett’s performance took place. I wasn’t allowed to take any photos, but I’ll cling to the memory of that room forever.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 03:00:03 AM »
Complete list:

1-10
Keith Jarrett – The Köln Concert
Tool – Lateralus
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets

Yes - Close to the Edge
Sigur Rós - Takk…
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Dave Matthews Band – Live Trax Vol. 1: Centrum Center, Worchester
Ravi Shankar - Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival

11-20
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Sigur Rós - ( )
John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess – An Evening With
Machine Head - Burn my Eyes
Florence and the Machine – Lungs
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Shivkumar Sharma, Brijbushan Kabra, Hariprasad Chaurasia - Call of the Valley

21-30
The Verve – A Northern Soul
System of a Down – Toxicity
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
Led Zeppelin – IV
Black Sabbath – s/t

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Jeff Buckley – Grace
Meshuggah – Nothing
Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
Fat Freddy’s Drop - Dr Boondigga and the Big BW

31-40
Herbie Hancock – Empyrean Isles
Pixies – Doolittle
Beirut – Gulag Orkestar
John Coltrane – Blue Train
Shivkumar Sharma and Hariprasad Chaurasia – Rasdhara

Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head
Machine Head – The Blackening
Sepultura – Roots
Anthrax – Among the Living
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Texas Flood

41-50
Salmonella Dub – Inside the Dub Plates
Rage Against the Machine – s/t
Opeth – Deliverance
Audioslave – s/t
Madonna – Ray of Light

Keith Jarrett - The Survivors’ Suite
Allman Brothers Band – At Fillmore East
Nikhil Banerjee – Afternoon Ragas
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
Liquid Tension Experiment – 2

51-60
Bob Dylan – Time Out of Mind
Michael Jackson – Thriller
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Silverchair – Diorama
Bic Runga – Beautiful Collision

Seeed – New Dubby Conquerors
Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
Bob Marley and the Wailers – Exodus
Santana – Supernatural
Metallica - …And Justice for All

Radiohead – Kid A
Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Megadeth – Rust in Peace

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 04:04:15 AM »
Cool list, though there's a lot of music i don't really listen to here. :P

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:07 AM »
Close To The Edge and Bitches Brew :tup

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 05:56:46 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you enough for introducing me to DMB and helping me choose which live albums to get next, so I agree hugely on Live Trax 1 and BTCS. Lateralus is probably my favourite album of all time as well, so good to see that there. I've listened to Bitches Brew once or twice recently but I suppose now I really need to give it more time, and Takk is now definitely on my 'to listen' list as well. I'm listening to Astral Weeks now, and I think I'll get round to listening to all of your top 10 ASAP as what I know there is almost all in my top 10 as well.

Great list from the member who I'd been waiting to make one for a while, it did not disappoint.  :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
There's still a few DMB/related albums I'd like to hear, I just have to get around to them. The six-disc edition of the Gorge, Dave and Tim's Luther College, and Some Devil are the main ones.

List was definitely a lot of fun.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
Hump de bump for The Köln Concert.

I'd listened a while ago when you placed it top of your top 5 albums in that ranking thread, and I realised it was amazing but it seemed very hard to get into. A second listen confirms this, but I'm now determined to get into it properly. It's all incredible, I just couldn't recall bits of it afterwards. I'm guessing the length is the main obstacle for me.

Also, Sigur Ros' () improves to me constantly. I can't wait to check out Takk!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
Were I to do this today, you'd be looking at a list something like this.

(pre-album)
Ludwig van Beethoven – 6th Symphony
Ludwig van Beethoven – 5th Pianoconcerto
Ludwig van Beethoven – 7th Symphony
Ludwig van Beethoven – 9th Symphony
Bedřich Smetana – Má Vlast
Pyotr Tchaikovsky – 4th Symphony
Pyotr Tchaikovsky – 5th Symphony
Claude Debussy – La Mer
Sergei Rachmaninoff – 2nd Pianoconcerto
Sergei Rachmaninoff – 3rd Pianoconcerto
George Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue