Author Topic: I Walk Beside You?  (Read 13726 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: I Walk Beside You?
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
You have no idea why it's not on the radio? Really? Maybe if it came out like 20 years ago.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
It's actually one of my favorite DT songs.  :tup

I think it'd be very well on the radio.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »
Not the modern radio, I think.  The only rock you'll see is classic rock, or alternative.  Nothing this good.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
It is not a love song.  I read somewhere that J.P was thinking about his relationship with god when he wrote it.
You read wrong.  It's a love song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
It is not a love song.  I read somewhere that J.P was thinking about his relationship with god when he wrote it.
Eh, there are a few religious references in it, I'd say he's actually right.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
"the Son will rise again"
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »
No, he's wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
I'm with Hef, I think it's more a love song, but that's a cool interpretation of it, never thought of that.  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
Just so you know, Violent, Dream Theater are known for doing much more than metal, though as you will see they are primarily a metal band and, aside from a few oddball albums, most of their discography falls smugly into the genre of "progressive metal."

Enjoy. I'm jealous of you. I wish I could discover Dream Theater all over again  ;D

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Just so you know, Violent, Dream Theater are known for doing much more than metal, though as you will see they are primarily a metal band and, aside from a few oddball albums, most of their discography falls smugly into the genre of "progressive metal."

Enjoy. I'm jealous of you. I wish I could discover Dream Theater all over again  ;D
LOL, I completely now this. I have all of SC, Octavarium, and BC&SL, and I'm aiming to purchase Images and Words next. (I go in no order whatsoever, lol)
I know darn well they are MUCH more than metal. I'm just SAYING.
And my name is VIOLET...not Violent  :P I'm anything but violent (last night my dad wanted to kill a huge spider, but I refused to let him!)

And trust me, I haven't just discovered them...I've seen mayhbe 450 youtube videos about them now, LOL.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
I never, ever got the impression that IWBY was a love song.  It completely screams Jesus.  I suppose you could read love/friendship into it, but it's really clear that it's the relationship between Jesus and man.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
I have no idea why its not on the radio. this song to me is about needing someone you always trust to help you through the toughest times in your life, to uplift you.

I thought the same thing a well but in a sense of God walking beside you and helping you in your difficult times. That was the way I interpreted the song the first times I listened to it.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 07:35:26 PM »
No, he's wrong.
link? Most songs have many interpretations and it's often the sign of a good lyric that it means different things to different people (IMO). So has JP said somewhere that this is categorically a love song? I haven't seen this anywhere. So... link?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
Hef, it might be a love song. But it's filled with religious imagry. It's not outlandish at all to claim it might be a religious song.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:29:01 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
Hef, it might be a love song. But it's filed with religious imagry. It's not outlandish at all to claim it might be a religious song.

Especially considering that JP has written lyrics that have vague-to-clear allusions/imagery based on religion/Christianity.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
I think the song could go either way and isn't strictly a religious or strictly a love song.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 02:43:56 AM »
I think the song could go either way and isn't strictly a religious or strictly a love song.

Well yeah, for sure.  There isn't anything that limits your room for interpretation, like Don't Look Past Me.  But I think that when Petrucci originally sat down and wrote it, religion is what was on his mind.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 02:51:20 AM »
Another meh song from their most meh album. Intro's cool, and overall mood is OK, but I never have the urge to listen to this song, just like The Best of Times.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 02:56:25 AM »
Another meh song from their most meh album. Intro's cool, and overall mood is OK, but I never have the urge to listen to this song, just like The Best of Times.

Did you forget about the debut album, and SC?

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 03:02:51 AM »

Those are their worst. By "meh" I mean mediocre. I don't dislike Octavarium as much as SC, but I do think it is a bit overrated. The title track rules though.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 03:07:40 AM »
Oh, ok.  Well in that case I agree with you.  Not too much shines on Octavarium, but nothing is terrible.  It's a "middle-of-the-road" album.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:20 AM »

Those are their worst. By "meh" I mean mediocre. I don't dislike Octavarium as much as SC, but I do think it is a bit overrated. The title track rules though.

I 100% agree here. I think Octavarium has one awesome song (title track), a couple good ones (Root and Sons) and the rest is pretty "meh". I enjoy them when they come up, but I never have to urge to listen to any of the other 5 tracks.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
I had a thought last night...
What if it's not so much a love song OR a religious song...more about being there for his family??
Again, I'm just spit-balling here. nobody will know unless JP tells us!
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
He did.  He commented on it way back when Octavarium was out that it was a love song.  Yes, the lyrics can definitely be taken as having religious connotations, but that is not what JP intended (at least, according to him).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 04:02:12 AM »
He did.  He commented on it way back when Octavarium was out that it was a love song.  Yes, the lyrics can definitely be taken as having religious connotations, but that is not what JP intended (at least, according to him).
That's what I was remembering.

Yes, he uses "religious" imagery in the song, but he uses religious imagery in, for example, Voices as well, and that isn't about religion, either.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »
Listening to it again with all that in mind was cool. It really could be either one.  :tup

Also:

OMGHOWDIDINOTNOTICEHOWAMAZINGYOURUSERNAMEIS?!?!? I LOVE YOU THE LETTER M!!!!!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Listening to it again with all that in mind was cool. It really could be either one.  :tup

Also:

OMGHOWDIDINOTNOTICEHOWAMAZINGYOURUSERNAMEIS?!?!? I LOVE YOU THE LETTER M!!!!!

:lol Oh stop... :blush
Power Windows is definitely one of my favorite Rush albums of all time - "Marathon", "Manhattan Project", "Middletown Dreams"... it's MM MM Good!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
Hey Marc, I do believe I've seen you post at songmeanings.net, a site I used to use a lot. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »
Hey Marc, I do believe I've seen you post at songmeanings.net, a site I used to use a lot. 

More than likely me. I've posted a lot over there, mostly at my fave bands' pages. I also uploaded lots of lyrics as well as comment, but I don't visit there often anymore.

-Marc.