Author Topic: Old Petrucci footage from 94  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Old Petrucci footage from 94
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
Just ran across this on YouYube - it's from a NAMM event from 1994. It's really, really good actually. (Aside from the horrible drum track that is. :P )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRX_5o2YD8&feature=related
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline jsem

Re: Old Petrucci footage from 94
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal Awesome clip

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Oh shit, John Petrucci used to look like that. It's the same feeling I get when I see 2008 pictures of Obama.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
Man Petrucci's playing was so great back then.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Man, what happened to that guy?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

Still is...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

Still is...

Hey got boring . . .

His playing doesn't really appeal to me now a days.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:46 PM »
JP was SO amazing back then.  In those days, he was fast AND played interesting things..... now he's .... just fast. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline lithium112

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »
Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. BC&SL had some amazingly melodic solos on it. Yeah, "old" Petrucci was awesome, but new Petrucci is even more awesome. I think he's grown as both a guitarist and a song-writer.
 :hefdaddy to JP then and now

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »
amazing!

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:26:34 AM »
I miss that jazzy flavor he used to add to his soloing. And his tone was amazing back then, now it's in dire need of  turning the gain down and the mids up.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:36:59 AM »
I miss that jazzy flavor he used to add to his soloing. And his tone was amazing back then, now it's in dire need of  turning the gain down and the mids up.
I really agree with this post. From start to finish.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »
I really agree with this post. From start to finish.

Thank you.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 03:59:35 AM »
Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. BC&SL had some amazingly melodic solos on it. Yeah, "old" Petrucci was awesome, but new Petrucci is even more awesome. I think he's grown as both a guitarist and a song-writer.

Yep.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »

Yep.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. For me, JPs playing is getting progressively (see what I did there?) stock and uninspired. His tone is getting more and more generic shred, his ideas more and more derivative and simply boring. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Paul Gilbert's work and it seems to me that him and JP undergoing the same evolution - but backwards. While PG's playing gets more thoughtful, his tone more juicy and interesting as time goes by, JPs work gets more thoughtless, mechanical standard shred.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 06:53:19 AM »

Yep.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. For me, JPs playing is getting progressively (see what I did there?) stock and uninspired. His tone is getting more and more generic shred, his ideas more and more derivative and simply boring. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Paul Gilbert's work and it seems to me that him and JP undergoing the same evolution - but backwards. While PG's playing gets more thoughtful, his tone more juicy and interesting as time goes by, JPs work gets more thoughtless, mechanical standard shred.

You haven't heard any of their albums since Train of Thought I take it.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »

Yep.

You haven't heard any of their albums since Train of Thought I take it.

On the contrary, my friend. ToT and 8VM were my first DT albums.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »
The thing with Petrucci is that I always feel bad criticizing his current style, because his playing is what makes the two most recent albums listenable. He's still phenomenal, I just really liked the way he played back then.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »
The thing with Petrucci is that I always feel bad criticizing his current style, because his playing is what makes the two most recent albums listenable. He's still phenomenal, I just really liked the way he played back then.

Got ya, that's a much more diplomatic and accurate way to say it. I too prefer the old Ibanez sound, but I think JP's playing is still great AND I bet he still has some nice surprises in store for us.

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »

These.  He's still incredible, but the selfish fan in me would like to hear more creative genre-spanning stuff from him. *shrug*

-J

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »

Got ya, that's a much more diplomatic and accurate way to say it. I too prefer the old Ibanez sound, but I think JP's playing is still great AND I bet he still has some nice surprises in store for us.

I don't think my way of putting it was any less diplomatic - what I have just said is that I believe that JPs playing on DT's latest two albums is boring and stale. And it can't be accurate or inaccurate since it's an opinion. No bashing involved, I still love JP!

That said, given the recent situation in DT camp - I have high hopes for the future. :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

The way I see it: His playing was way more interesting back in the day.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »

It definitely was. And he didn't use so much freaking delay on his leads either.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »

Yeah. You're completely right.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »
Wow, amazing. This should be the first track on the next album. I'd love to hear what JR and the guys would do.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
Funny, I was just watching the commentary on the Live in Tokyo (1993) DVD last night and thinking about how awesome it would be if they still did jazzier jam sessions (à la the To Live Forever guitar solo jam) rather than the shreddier jams they do these days (the extended version of Solitary Shell comes to mind - it was rather disappointing at the 2009 Montreal PN show).
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.