Author Topic: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)  (Read 25116 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I agree with that fairly accurate assessment.

Generally speaking, I can find a song or two I like on any Priest album; even Turbo.  It's just that the best song on a weak album isn't necessarily going to make my list.  Out in the Cold is a fine song, but it wouldn't make a top 50.  Honestly,  I'd have a hard time finding many at all beyond Defenders.  That's part of the reason I wouldn't take the time to do such a list.  It'd be 30 songs from the first 5 albums, 15 from the next 4, and 5 from the last 10.  And honestly, I'd feel like I was forcing myself to include some latter ones instead of some earlier ones. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
Hellion/ Electric Eye '82

to me as a fan who saw them since Hellbent Tour, this was the band at their live show zenith, although every tour was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkvEDAg6MWw&feature=fvsr
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
Night Crawler is an amazing song. Just felt like posting that here.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
Metal Gods.

No doubt..

I like when KK stops playing, the vacuum of his silence. Glen really was the complete player of the era in many ways..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qytyndZ-3u4&feature=related
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:42:27 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »
I agree with that fairly accurate assessment.

Generally speaking, I can find a song or two I like on any Priest album; even Turbo.  It's just that the best song on a weak album isn't necessarily going to make my list.  Out in the Cold is a fine song, but it wouldn't make a top 50.  Honestly,  I'd have a hard time finding many at all beyond Defenders.  That's part of the reason I wouldn't take the time to do such a list.  It'd be 30 songs from the first 5 albums, 15 from the next 4, and 5 from the last 10.  And honestly, I'd feel like I was forcing myself to include some latter ones instead of some earlier ones. 

5 songs from the last 10 records?!  Holy shit.  You are gonna to be very disappointed with my list then.  I'd love to see your top 50 and see what later songs would actually make the cut.

Don't get me wrong, musically, the best era of Priest is those first four records. They were doing things that were so unique and different at the time. I still enjoy what they did with the dumbed down sound on Hell Bent, British Steel and even Point of Entry, but I feel they didn't quite find a happy medium till the Screaming/Defenders era. And then lost it again with the Turbo/Ram stuff, and then bounced back with a nice showy record like Painkiller. Jugulator was the resurrection album that was an attempt to prove they could be relevant, where as Demolition tried too hard and flat out failed. Then of course you you have your reunion/throw back record in Angel of Retribution and then the attempt to be high-brow and artsy with the concept record Nostradamus. I do find Priest's history to be pretty interesting. They have one of the bumpiest discographies I've ever seen. But regardless, through thick and thin, there IS something pure about it at the core. My only gripe was they often seemed to go with the flow of popular music instead of staking their claim and reinventing the genre (or at least often enough). A band in their position had the power to do so.

I am quite happy with all of this statement.

It's really surprising to me how different my taste in Priest seems to be from anybody elses.  Of MH's list of 50, maybe 15 would have made mine.  The very first sentence of WK's list leads me to believe that his won't be any different : "The only cut from Rocka Rolla is Never Satisfied."  I'm not criticizing anybody's taste in music, and honestly I'd probably never make a similar list of my own, I'm just surprised.  It would appear that what I like and don't like about Priest is the polar opposite of other's interests.  

That's cool. Nor would we criticize yours.  It is amazing how tastes differ so much of the same band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:13 AM »
44. Breaking the Law - British Steel

Another staple low in the list.  I like this song, I really do, but it's one one of Priests most overrated tracks.  It's short, punchy, driving and has a great main riff, it also works well in a live setting.  I like KK's improvising over the middle section, a nice touch which wouldn't have hurt the original recording.  A good punchy catchy little number, nothing more IMO.

43. Hell Bent for Leather - Hell Bent For Leather

Yet another staple low in the list.  I feel pretty much the same with this song as I do with Breaking the Law, except it's more interesting and not as overrated.  Great song, nice riffs and Glenn's solo is really one of his classics, the tapping is incredible.  A great short rocker that also really works well live.

42. Worth Fighting For - Angel of Retribution

Here's another more obscure choice, the great Worth Fighting For from Angel of Retribution.  I like the simplicity of the drums and bass that start the song, really doesn't need anything fancy.  I also really like the dark atmosphere of this one, it's haunting.  Very melodic song too, almost AOR.  Good lyrics and I love Glenn's little slide work in the middle, a very clever tasteful piece of guitar.  Great, underrated song, nice to see Priest do something a little different yet again.

41. I'm A Rocker

Here's one from the underrated Ram it Down album.  Rocking song, nice groove, tasty riffs and just really a great anthem that really is underrated.  Good to see Priest got this one out there live a few years ago.  Worked quite well on the Rising in the East DVD IMO.  Really good chorus too, and I really enjoy Glenn's solo, such tasty sweeps, runs and whammy bar work in there.  The modulation into the solo section was a great touch to break the song up a bit.  I also like the lead line that mimics and plays along with the main riff before the solo.

40. Loch Ness - Angel of Retribution

I guess this is where I should duck for cover.  Easily one of, if not the most slagged song in their discography I believe.  I remember people being outraged by this song when they heard it.  I also remember before the album came out, people were saying that the final song was going to be a 13 minute song about the lochness monster, people fell off their chair and did not believe it.  It did happen, and I really enjoy the track.  Priests longest track and possibly their most ridiculous track.

It's cheesy, laughable and the chorus obviously is OTT, but I LOVE the Sabbath style riffs and the sludgy tempo.  Most of all the atmosphere the song gives off is excellent and really fits the subject matter nicely.  It gives you appropriate imagery of the story the song is telling.  KK's fills throughout the song give imagery of the beast sliding through the water, and Glenn's solo in the middle is absolutely terrific.  It's a story within the song,  the crescendo of the solo is wonderful.

My only problem is that IMO, this song is to blame for the next album Nostradamus which I disliked.  They did this song for something different and IMO it worked well, but then IMO they were seemed not satisfied and wanted to push the boundries more, and then really just went over the top.  I could be wrong but I do believe the progression to the Nostradamus album was built from this song.

Great epic track IMO.

Stay tuned....

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2010, 06:35:31 AM »
Hell yeah, Loch Ness! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »
Hell yeah, Loch Ness! :metal

You obviously like the song then?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2010, 06:39:16 AM »
Indeed I do. One of my favourites from that album. Great riff, and the slow tempo really benefits to the whole "feel" of the song. I have no real problems with the lyrics, they've done worse over the years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
Ugh. Angel of Retribution ends at Hellrider for me.

Cool to see Worth Fighting For getting a mention. I wanted it in my list, it simply was beat out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:50 PM »
I kind of like "Loch Ness," but it wouldn't make my top 50.  In fact, "Hellrider" and maybe "Demonizer" are the only post-Painkiller songs that would have a snowball's chance in hell at making my top 50.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »
Great to see Worth fighting for, it's my absolute favorite from Angel of retribution. However, I never really liked Loch Ness, I find it incredibly tacked on.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
Ugh. Angel of Retribution ends at Hellrider for me.

:lol

Indeed I do. One of my favourites from that album. Great riff, and the slow tempo really benefits to the whole "feel" of the song. I have no real problems with the lyrics, they've done worse over the years.

Yeah, I guess that's true.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 03:40:35 AM »
39. Demonizer - Angel of Retribution

Another cut from Angel of Retribution with the very impressive Demonizer.  They really honed in on their Painkiller style for this one, with even a nice little Painkiller reference thrown in there.  Quite simple metal, nice riffs and I really like the verses in this song.  Glenn's solo is at the top of his game.  Glenn really knows how to build his own story within the song, such a tasteful guitarist.  The outro is the icing on the cake with Halford's tormented screaming bringing the song to a close.  4:25 to the end is absolutely amazing!!

38. Desert Plains - Point of Entry

What a great song.  Simple rock and roll almost AOR.  Great atmosphere, the song just really breathes and flows along like your speeding down an empty highway with the setting sun behind you.  Great chorus, and excellent guitar trade offs in the middle, nice modulation before the solo too.  Good to see this song get performed on the Turbo tour DVD.  Not much more to say, great classic Priest.

37. Turbo Lover - Turbo

I've always been a fan of this 80's power pop cheese fest.  Simply a great driving rhythm all the way through, I like Rob's vocals on this one too.  Quite a powerful chorus, and the whole buildup into the chorus is quite excellent.  Love Glenn's work on this one, again, no shred fest, just a tasty lead line which is just as memorable as the main vocal melodies.  Love KK's fills leading into Glenn's part too. Great to see Tim give this a go on the Demolition tour too, it was a nice fresh change in the set filled with crushingly heavy songs.   

36. Delivering the Goods - Hell Bent For Leather

Next up is the wonderful opening track from the Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine album.  Great heavy metal here, classic Priest.  Gotta love the simplicity of the whole song, it flows nicely.  The tempo change to the chorus is easily a highlight, contrasts so damn well between the verses.  Rob does some great work on this too, I love how he delivers the whole song.  Good solo section, with a nice key change which keeps the intensity up.  Great Priest.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Sad day. Priest have announced their "Epitaph" tour. It will be their last :-[

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
It's a shame they won't actually play Epitaph.  Alas, it'll be another of the greatest hits tours that we've seen so many of.  Of course I'll be there anyway, but I would love to never hear LAM or YGAC again for the rest of my life.  Thankfully, they're pretty good about throwing in an oddball or two on these sorts of tours.  Devil's Child and Dissident Aggressor on the last one were fantastic. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Wow, this seems to have come out of the blue.  I wonder what the main reasons are behind it?  So this means Nostradamus was their fnal studio album?  Ugh!!  I don't understand, they still seem to be in great shape and Rob seems to have improved over the last couple of years.  What's KK gonna do?  He lived and breathed for Priest.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
wwwwwhhhhhaaaaattttttt?????

say its not true...

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
Well, I'm sure Halford will continue to do his solo band. Scott won't have trouble finding work (if he needs it). I'll bet Glenn will do another solo record, too. Who knows. We shall see.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
awww geeezz.... this appears to be true.. maybe they change their mind.... :-[

Offline Mladen

« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
You people can't be surprised. I thought it was pretty obvious that we won't be seeing them anymore in a year or two.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
I gotta say im stunned..

That leaves only Maiden

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
You people can't be surprised. I thought it was pretty obvious that we won't be seeing them anymore in a year or two.

Why would you say it was obvious?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
Well, they're old as fuck, Halford is pretty much disabled when it comes to singing (no disrespect to the man that once used to be one of the greatest vocalists in the world, but deal with it, mother nature is cruel), and considering the lyrics of Future of mankind, it was only a matter of time for Judas Priest to announce their farewell tour. I've seen it coming, as well as plenty of my friends, so this didn't appear to be a huge surprise for me.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
I gotta say im stunned..

That leaves only Maiden

I'm pretty sure Sabbath will continue in one form or another. As I stated in another thread, Wendy Dio is trying to get Heaven and Hell to continue under a new name with Ripper Owens singing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
My top 50 list has been totally overshadowed by this shocking news!  Damn you Priest!  :lol

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
Keep it going dude. We'll just make this the general Priest thread...as I'm too lazy to bump the official one :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Oh it'll keep going.  Hopefully list some more tonight.  Sopme more obscure ones coming up so stay tuned!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:55 AM »
I gotta say im stunned..

That leaves only Maiden

I'm pretty sure Sabbath will continue in one form or another. As I stated in another thread, Wendy Dio is trying to get Heaven and Hell to continue under a new name with Ripper Owens singing.

Wendy is great, I met her a few times in the 80s.. but like I said, There is now only Maiden, Sabbath is done,,

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
Waiting . . .

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
Waiting . . .

I know, I know.  I've been really busy.  I will post the next set tonight!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
Bart...make a f##king list! I'd love to see it. I don't care how the songs are distributed..just make a Top 10 if you don't have the patience or energey. No explanations are neccesary. I'm at least interested.

These Judas Priest threads have really made me jump back into them. As a kid, I found their early stuff kind of choppy, similar to old Sabbath, but I can really appreciate it a lot more now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
Bart...make a f##king list! I'd love to see it. I don't care how the songs are distributed..just make a Top 10 if you don't have the patience or energey. No explanations are neccesary. I'm at least interested.

These Judas Priest threads have really made me jump back into them. As a kid, I found their early stuff kind of choppy, similar to old Sabbath, but I can really appreciate it a lot more now.

Yep, I'd love to see Bart next.  Would be a great contrast between lists.  And yes, I've been into them a lot more once again over the last two weeks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2010, 04:12:06 AM »
35. Subterfuge - Demolition

Here's one totally out of left field from the Demolition cd, Subterfuge.  Always loved this one ever since I spun the cd for the first time.  I know most of you this song probably wouldn't make it anywhere near your top 100, but I love it.  I dig the modern nu-metal style groove throughout.  Love the Korn style guitar effects going on through the song too.  You can tell Ken and Glenn were checking the modern metal stations.  I just dig the chorus, it's hard, it's powerful with decent lyrics.  It's just a good metal tune and they did something extremely modern without going over the top or too cheesy, it has a great balance, simple, hard song, love it!

34. Prisoner of Your Eyes - Screaming for Vengeance (bonus track)

Now why the hell did this not make it on an album.  Amazing Priest ballad, easily one of their best.  Powerful, melodic, sweet and emotional.  Great cheesy lyrics with amazing delivery of course by Mr. Halford.  I love the length of it aswell, 7 minutes but never feels too long.  I guess the real highlight of this song is the solo section.  80% performed by Glenn and 20% performed by Ken.  Easily one of their best solos hands down.  Fitting, emotional, tells the story and amazing phrasing by Glenn.  A perfect ballad that should have made the cut for a studio album.  This version shits all over the re-recorded version by Halford on Live Insurrection.

33. Sinner - Sin After Sin

Not much to say about this one, a Priest classic.  This one reminds me of Victim of Changes in many parts.  Nice groovy verse with a wonderful tempo.  Great crescendo building in the chorus and when that tempo change kicks in you know you've got a real metal anthem.  Love the middle section and KK improvises amazingly as usual.  Amazing song.

32. Starbreaker - Sin After Sin

Another one from the Sin After Sin album.  I always thought that this was such an underrated track.  It's almost feels like the first stepping stone to Exciter from Stained Class in a way.  Love the chorus, an original one for Priest, but extremely melodic and catchy.  Great solos and excellent harmony.  Great tune which is extremely underrated.  Also responsible for the name of the band featuring guitarist Magnus Karlsson and TNT singer Tony Harnell.

31. Eat Me Alive - Defenders of the Faith

The only thing I don't like about this track is the awful imagery it gives me, everything else is pure gold.  Amazing aggressive tune with excellent chugging riffs.  I love how the chorus shifts to the phryigan mode, which gives the chorus a haunting yet uneasy feeling, yet so damn metal it's not funny.  Again, killer solo section trade offs from the boys, some great work all round.  These two really did compliment each other well.  Love how the track keeps going at the end, that chorus just cuts through and slays anything in its way, killer tune.

30. Heading Out To The Highway - Point of Entry

What a nice simple song from the underrated Point of Entry album.  Love the atmosphere this one gives off, fits the theme and lyrics perfectly well.  Great chorus and don't forget the excellent main riff.  Not much else to say, they didn't have to do much to make this a great tune.  Love the harmonies in their too, probably my fav part.  Also a special mention to the hilarious video clip where Rob is just amazing!!  :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »
 :metal