Author Topic: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)  (Read 25117 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
Sounds not great. You can hear Ian Hill is out of tune most of the show. But a great classic era show visually, for sure.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
Sounds not great. You can hear Ian Hill is out of tune most of the show. But a great classic era show visually, for sure.

Id agree... it was a famous show as it was carried on the radio live, but they sounded better at the shows I saw them that tour..NYC seems to bring out the best in bands..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Bart...make a f##king list! I'd love to see it. I don't care how the songs are distributed..just make a Top 10 if you don't have the patience or energey. No explanations are neccesary. I'm at least interested.

These Judas Priest threads have really made me jump back into them. As a kid, I found their early stuff kind of choppy, similar to old Sabbath, but I can really appreciate it a lot more now.

Yep, I'd love to see Bart next.  Would be a great contrast between lists.  And yes, I've been into them a lot more once again over the last two weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement, gents.  I'll take it under advisement.  To be honest, following the model that Wolf and MykeHavok are using sounds like a real PITA, but perhaps I'll throw together an abbreviated (and simpler) version.  My interest stemming from the fact that my tastes in Priest seem to be incredibly dissimilar to that of others. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
Bart...make a f##king list! I'd love to see it. I don't care how the songs are distributed..just make a Top 10 if you don't have the patience or energey. No explanations are neccesary. I'm at least interested.

These Judas Priest threads have really made me jump back into them. As a kid, I found their early stuff kind of choppy, similar to old Sabbath, but I can really appreciate it a lot more now.

Yep, I'd love to see Bart next.  Would be a great contrast between lists.  And yes, I've been into them a lot more once again over the last two weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement, gents.  I'll take it under advisement.  To be honest, following the model that Wolf and MykeHavok are using sounds like a real PITA, but perhaps I'll throw together an abbreviated (and simpler) version.  My interest stemming from the fact that my tastes in Priest seem to be incredibly dissimilar to that of others. 

Have a think about it mate.  I would love to see the contrast between our lists and yours.

I'll wrap mine up in a couple of days, sorry for the slackness on my behalf.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
I used to have that show cassette , that I recorded off the radio.. I saw them a few times on that tour..
A few times?? WTF? I'm jealous. This was a year before I started going to concerts. I would've loved to have seen Maiden on this tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
Speaking of old school Priest, wasn't there an official concert release of a show from the Defenders tour?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
I used to have that show cassette , that I recorded off the radio.. I saw them a few times on that tour..
A few times?? WTF? I'm jealous. This was a year before I started going to concerts. I would've loved to have seen Maiden on this tour.

Yep.... even saw Paul D on the killers tour open for Priest.. I think Priest was touring British Steel or may have just started the Point or Entry tour.

I guess that make me old..lol.. my first Priest show was on the Hellbent tour
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
Speaking of old school Priest, wasn't there an official concert release of a show from the Defenders tour?

I really would like to hear that...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2011, 04:11:03 PM »

Just went up on Dime..Long Beach 5-5-84 FM broadcast
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=340217
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »

There's the Turbo era show "Priest...Live!". Damn good show, all things considered (new shit songs, lame outfits etc.)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »

There's the Turbo era show "Priest...Live!". Damn good show, all things considered (new shit songs, lame outfits etc.)

That's great DVD.

Maybe there wasn't an official release, I think I might be thinking of this vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2C0bPV4CbQ

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »
Wolfking

I have a bootleg for Judas Priest from their Defender's tour.  It was a radio broadcast and pretty decent quality.  It's called Judas Priest- ABC Defenders.  The set list is as follows:

1.  "Love Bites" (5:50)
   2. "Jawbreaker" (3:54)
   3. "Grinder" (4:09)
   4. "Metal Gods" (4:05)
   5. "Breaking the Law" (2:36)
   6. "Desert Plains" (4:41)
   7. "Some Heads Are Gonna Role" (4:29)
   8. "The Sentinel" (5:53)
   9. "Rock Hard, Ride Free" (2:56)
  10. "Helion/Electric Eye" (4:08)
  11. "Freewheel Burning" (4:33)
  12. "Victim of Changes" (9:39)
  13. "Green Manalishi" (5:03)
  14. "Living After Midnight" (3:52)

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »
never have I seen so many masochists in one thread!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »

Thank You TAC!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:10 AM »
Wolfking

I have a bootleg for Judas Priest from their Defender's tour.  It was a radio broadcast and pretty decent quality.  It's called Judas Priest- ABC Defenders.  The set list is as follows:

1.  "Love Bites" (5:50)
   2. "Jawbreaker" (3:54)
   3. "Grinder" (4:09)
   4. "Metal Gods" (4:05)
   5. "Breaking the Law" (2:36)
   6. "Desert Plains" (4:41)
   7. "Some Heads Are Gonna Role" (4:29)
   8. "The Sentinel" (5:53)
   9. "Rock Hard, Ride Free" (2:56)
  10. "Helion/Electric Eye" (4:08)
  11. "Freewheel Burning" (4:33)
  12. "Victim of Changes" (9:39)
  13. "Green Manalishi" (5:03)
  14. "Living After Midnight" (3:52)

That is a killer setlist!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
I thought Priest: Live was crap.  Except for the inclusion of Desert Plains the setlist wasn't too cool and it's far too overproduced.  I probably need to go back and re-watch it, though.  I'd be interested to see if a 15 year old El Barto makes an appearance.  I was 8th row center for that show, so it seems plausible. 

The Long Beach show is pretty good.  Great rendition of Jawbreaker.  However, the Sentinel isn't as good as later versions would be on subsequent tours.  For a while, Rob was belting out CONDEMNED TO HELL in a voice that was absolutely fucking horrifying.  I remember seeing it at Starplex and thinking the poor people who lived across the street must have thought the four horsemen had just been cut loose. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
I just ordered myself a Priest biography, Defenders Of The Faith.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
I just ordered myself a Priest biography, Defenders Of The Faith.

Your book report will be due on March 1st! :D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
This Thread is full of WIN!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
I would say that Priest Live isn't the best live offering from the band; I agree, it is overproduced.  However, I still really enjoy it as I have always been fond of the Turbo cd (actually one of the first Priest cd's I bought).  It just seems strange watching the show as the band is trying to come across looking like Ratt or the Crue.  Even the audience looks like what you would expect if you were at a Bon Jovi show.  Still it's a great show, but my first instinct when I want to listen to a live offering is to grab 98 live meltdown or unleashed in the east.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2011, 03:59:04 AM »
13. Exciter - Stained Class

It's amazing to think that this song was released in 1978.  Priest really paved the way for a lot of 80's metal.  This is so ahead of its time.  Groovy fast riffing, great vocals from Rob and of course Les' amazing drumming, it's a shame Les didn't stay with the band through the 80's.  Love Glenn's guitar solo on this one and I especially love the middle instrumental 'superhero' section, amazing!!  Killer tune, killer playing and great vox.  Definitely one of Rob's best moments at the end.  "STAND BY FOR EXCCCIIITTEEEEEERRRR!!!"

12.  Blood Red Skies - Ram it Down

Here is by far one of Priests most underrated gems.  I love this song.  An amazing atmospheric intro where Rob just sounds sublime.  The cheesy 80's drums kicks in which I guess people didn't like too much with Ram it Down, but once the guitar kicks in this song really gets going.  I just love the dark brooding atmosphere and groove of it.  It screams epic in every sense.  Good chorus, fits well.  I really love the instrumental build up to the solo and the modulation is fantastic.  KK puts a real effort in on this one and gives us one something a lot more technical than what we are use to, good stuff.  Epic fadeout with Rob just wailing, so damn good to hear.  For those who aren't as familiar with this tune, check it out, the is Priest, underrated as hell.

11. The Hellion/Electric Eye - Screaming For Vengeance

Hellion is quite possibly the best metal intro ever recorded, just classic.  Not much to say about this song, except it really is the definition of heavy metal and just a perfect song.  Great rocking verses on this which I have always been a fan of.  Nice twist with the chorus and Glenn's solo again is such a highlight, another one of his best moments.  This man is by far one of the greatest solo writers in the world.  Check out my guitar cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnaRZZ992Q

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »
Cool choices.

Exciter is a classic metal song, so fast and brutal. Rob sings so high on this, try to sing this one without rupturing a ball.

Blood Red Skies is not a song I've listened that much to though (as is the case with the whole Ram It Down album).

The Hellion/Electric Eye - Oh yeah! I remember buying Metal Works as my first Priest album, and when this duo started it off I knew that this was just my kind of band.

:metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »
These are awesome. I haven't heard Blood red skies in a long time, though...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »

11. The Hellion/Electric Eye - Screaming For Vengeance

Hellion is quite possibly the best metal intro ever recorded, just classic.  Not much to say about this song, except it really is the definition of heavy metal and just a perfect song.  Great rocking verses on this which I have always been a fan of.  Nice twist with the chorus and Glenn's solo again is such a highlight, another one of his best moments.  This man is by far one of the greatest solo writers in the world.  Check out my guitar cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnaRZZ992Q

This would probably be my #1.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Both BRS and H/EE would be higher for me. Great songs.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
great job by all...

Id have a real difficult time with my top 10..

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
Good job with the selections Wolfking.  Metal Works was my first Priest cd, I was also floored with the Hellion/Electric Eye opener.  Then Victim of Changes, Painkiller etc.  I was like "whoa, this band is killer!!  Good call as well with Blood Red Skies.  In my opinion BRS, Touch of Evil and I'm a Rocker are three of Priest's most underrated tunes.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2011, 03:07:12 AM »

Just tried to get this but it's been taken down as some of the tracks are used on the remasters. Gutted.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2011, 03:13:52 AM »
I can understand everyone else would have H/EE higher and I did think about that.  I love the song, obviously, but I think I just get that little more enjoyment out of the songs on the rest of my list.  Priest's discography is so strong, everyone of these 50 songs and more are simply killer.  Some of you will find some of the choices coming up strange, but I stand by my list.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2011, 04:06:14 AM »
I can understand everyone else would have H/EE higher and I did think about that.  I love the song, obviously, but I think I just get that little more enjoyment out of the songs on the rest of my list.  Priest's discography is so strong, everyone of these 50 songs and more are simply killer.  Some of you will find some of the choices coming up strange, but I stand by my list.

Certainly not a criticism Wolfie, it's your list after all. I wouldn't know where to start to be honest in numbering things like this. So many great songs.
I did a compo for the car over 2 discs but had to leave so many songs out. will have to do a disc 3 of the more obscure great songs.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
Very nice placement of BRS and TH/EE!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:21:32 AM by Jirpo »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »
10. Ram it Down - Ram it Down

Okay, yes, this is cheesy as hell and 'thousands of cars and a million guitars' is possibly Priest's worst lyric, but this solo section is possibly Priest's best.  That harmony is just perfect.  My mouth waters everytime I hear that harmony, and the trade offs between Glenn and Ken is phenomenal.  Gotta love Rob's scream at the start too.  Great riffing, nice fills from the boys and just a crushing fast track, you can see how the guys were working towards Painkiller here.  The only thing is that this would have been even better with an actual drummer instead of a drum machine.  Great metal track.

9. Hellrider - Angel of Retribution

I'm sure most of you as surprised to see this make the top ten, but ever since I heard AOR for the first time, this song just clicked with me.  It was really the only song on the album that gave me a classic Priest feel.  The riff is sooooo damn simple but just absolutely crushing.  Great Painkiller type pre chorus and a killer chorus.  Really it's Painkiller type riffing throughout the whole song.  Again, an amazing trade off solo section with again, some of the boys best and most creative licks.  What KK does on his final solo just sounds incredible.  Great Exciter style section after the chorus and again more classic harmonies.  The song gets back into it, but finishes quickly.  Perfect metal track IMO.  The only think was that I wish Roy Z didn't make the production so damn muddy, it should have sounded so much heavier.

8. Jugulator - Jugulator

I remember finding this album after discovering albums like SFV, Painkiller and British Steel.  I was interested to see what this was like considering the lineup and the long time between albums.  I was in high school at the time and I think this was the heaviest thing I had ever heard at that point in my life.  The heaviness of this track and the pure childishness of the lyrics just floored me.  The lyrics were so simple and gruesome, for some reason I just loved it.  I love it and Jugulator since that day has been my favourite Priest record.  Perfect intro, crushing riffs and Tim just shows why he was the perfect replacement for this band.  Love the middle section too.  I still can't believe Glenn and Ken came up with this so far into their career.  I think the thing that impressed me. is that bands always seem to come back after a hiatus, softer and calmer, and Priest just did the opposite, which was amazing.  Time's scream at the end also just kills me!!

7. Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver - Sad Wings of Destiny

The pure eerie atmosphere of this track is just breath taking.  The nylon guitar and Rob together just sound perfect.  The think I love is the simplicity of the acoustic passages.  These triad arpeggiated chords and intervals have been used so much in metal and I think this song has a lot to do with it.  Rob just sounds amazing and those high notes are just incredible.  Amazing build up into again one of Glenn's most emotional, melodic and passionate guitar solos.  This man is a genius on a guitar and is so underrated.  Perfect soloing over this type of track.  The whole song just has a great crescendo which just makes it so epic.  I especially love how the tracks ends on a E maj feel, epic.  I feel Deceiver belongs with the track, two contrasts, but they work so damn well together.  Great chorus on this one too.  Perfect Preist.

6. Cathedral Spires - Jugulator

Another Jugulator song makes the top 10.  Priest hit the nail on the head with this one, what an epic.  Love the intro, the guitars are tuned down to C which makes the clean guitar just sound so damn ballsy.  KK's subtle leads in the background just sounds amazing and gives the whole intro a great atmosphere.  Tim gives us a classic scream and then the riffs start.  What killer riffs we have here, just so damn heavy, great stuff.  Groovy verses and just easily one of the best chorus' Priest have ever done.  It's so clever and huge!  Love the whole middle section on this two, some quick leads in here and there but they are short but certainly leave their mark.  Love Tim's backing vocals on this one too in his amazing high register.  Great outro too, it just repeats and gives you that armageddon type feel.  The song clocks in at 9 minutes but it only feels half the length. Amazing track.

Almost there...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »
Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver just doesn't do it for me, which is too bad, everybody seems to be a fan of these two songs. However, Ram it down would make my top 10 as well - actually, it might even be my favorite Judas Priest song.  :smiley:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
RiD, D/D and Jugulator are definitely in my top 20! I agree with the soloing in RiD. Tipton is probably the most underrated guitar player in metal ever (among bands that are well-known).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
Always wished they would have played Cathedral Spires live....good pick!