Author Topic: Ravenheart's top 20 bands/artists V. Who the hell is this guy?  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Ravenheart's top 20 bands/artists V. Who the hell is this guy?
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
So, yeah, I'm no regular around here. But I figured I should try my hand at one of these lists, since I've been here for close to 2 years now. It's hard to stick to such a strict order and with particular bands, but I think this list puts together a pretty good list of what I've been spinning a lot lately. Follow if you're interested :)

20. Nine Inch Nails

When I downloaded The Downward Spiral for the first time in 2006, it was pretty much all I listened to for about a year straight. The beats, the sounds, the noises, the screams, the whimpers, the yells, the lyrics... it was like a whole new world to me. Trent Reznor transported me to a place I had never been before. He's long since been replaced by many others, but I still have nothing but respect for him, and I always love playing one of his albums when I feel the need. Despite my low opinion of The Slip, just about everything else he's put out is excellent.

Best album: The Downward Spiral

19. Yes

First classic rock band I fell in love with. My dad bought me Fragile when I was 12 or 13 years old, and I couldn't stop listening to South Side of the Sky and Heart of the Sunrise. The technical prowess and beautiful textures elated me. Jon Andersons voice is heavenly, and the entire band features unparalleled mastery of their instruments. Wait... why am I explaining this on a DT forum of all places. Nothing you guys don't already know. Anyway, they still remain my favorite band of the 70s, and no other band of that era matches up to them, in my opinion :)

Best album: Close to the Edge

18. Sigur Ros

I was pretty skeptical when I first heard of Sigur Ros. Lyrics in the form of a nonsensical language? What is this I don't even. But I'm glad I gave them the benefit of the doubt. You'd be hard-pressed to find a band like SR, or at least a band that performs this brand of music so well. From dark cold landscapes ( () ) to warm paradises of beauty (Takk...), they create an atmosphere like no other with their twinkling keys, lush guitars, and subtle rythms. Jonsi's voice is beautiful  :heart

Best album: Takk...

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 20 bands/artists V. Who the hell is this guy?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
3 AMAZING bands just from the get-go! This thread has potential! :tup

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Nine Inch Nails... :tup
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Will be following.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »
I know you ;) You have good taste. Excellent choices so far
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
Not a bad way to introduce yourself.  I noticed I got taken much more seriously 'round here toward the end of my 150 album list.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
The pressure is on! Lol, thanks, guys. I hope you like the rest of my list, and I will hopefully intrigue you about a couple of the upcoming bands you may not have heard of ;)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
Next 3:

17. Ulver

I owned Bergtatt for a long time and always thought it to be a special little melodic folk/black metal gem. I was reluctant to explore Ulver's later works, as I heard they dove more into the realm of electronica--not that I can't appreciate that genre, but it's not my music of choice. Well, DTF finally convinced me to give the later era of Ulver a try (yup, I'm a bandwagon jumper). All I can say is, HOSPITAL! I fell in love with Perdition City right away, and I quickly hunted down every other album of theirs that I could find. Blood Inside, Shadows of the Sun, Metamorphosis, Svidd Neger, A Quick Fix of Melancholy, Silence Teaches You How To Sing/Sing the Silence, Themes From William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell, etc, etc. are all spectacular records. I wouldn't even know where to begging classifying any of them. Garm transcends labels and is further proof of why genres and labels, in the grand scheme of all things music, are virtually irrelevant. Call them trip-hop, call them jazz, call them electronica, call them black metal, call them ambient, call them drone, call them post-rock, or call them trip-jazz electro-ambient post-drone metal rock. Only one thing is for sure: It's Ulverrific!

Best album: Perdition City

16. Alice In Chains

Alice In Chains was, in a way, the precursor to my discovery of all things metal. They could be considered grunge, but they were far more gloomy and darker than any other bands of that genre. There's also a fine line between Alice In Chains and a pseudo-angst band like Nirvana: You can FEEL the darkness and emotion flooding out of AIC's music. Layne Stayley's voice and Jerry Cantrell's sludgy guitar riffs have produced some of the most memorable songs to ever grace the airwaves. Despite Stayley's death, they continue to churn out some high-quality songs with last year's Black Gives Way to Blue. However, Stayley was a legend, and will be missed. RIP

Best album: Dirt

15. Insomnium

Ever hear those bleeding-heart purists whine that melodic death metal is dead? I'm going to be SO rich when I invent a way to simultaneously slap them all across the face all over the world. Anyway, Insomnium defies any and all logic of that statement. Writing them off as a Dark Tranquillity or In Flames clone would be a grave mistake, as they do a near-180 with melodeath. Each song is replete with layers of chugging (but highly melodic) riffs, with long acoustic sections that are graced by gorgeous piano melodies. Moroseness and sorrow drench all of their compositions. While many generic melodeath clones attempt to do the same thing, they fail terribly, whereas Insomnium doesn't. Though Niilo Sevanen's vocals aren't always the most comprehensible, you can still feel the passion and anguish from his deep, throaty roars. And if you ever feel it necessary to look up the lyrics, I promise you'll find them all highly poetic and distraughtly beautiful. Someone once described this band to me as a faster and more energetic doom metal band, and I'd hesitate to disagree. If you're looking for something fresh and exciting from the genre of melodic death metal, I implore you to check out Insomnium. 4 albums under the belt, and not a single one is anything short of spectacular.

Best album: That's tough.... but for now, I'll go with Since the Day It All Came Down.

Next 3 will be tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:59:22 PM by ravenheart »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Ulver!  :heart

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
Yes, Ulver, and Alice in Chains. Not bad, not bad.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
good list so far, though I love the slip, it's better than with teeth and year zero imo.

Offline jsem

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »
So far:  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone :) Here are the next 4. I'll post 2 a day for my top 10.

14. Chuck Schuldiner (Death, Control Denied, Jesus Killing Machine)

Where do I even begin? With a name like Death, you'd expect Chuck's band to be a typical, run-of-the-mill death metal band. And you'd be partly right--that's exactly what their first few albums were. But their last few are some of the most technically sophisticated and emotive metal releases ever made. His lyrics went from bodies and carnage to reality, the human soul, feeling of anger and betrayal, the loss of innocence, dwelling in the past, the meaninglessness of words, and so forth. Chuck was a true poet, both lyrically and musically. He's one of the few shredders who doesn't sacrifice passion for style. Each and every solo is jam-packed filled with feeling and fits perfectly within the context of the song. And he only worked with the best musicians he could find, some notable players being Gene Hoglan, Steve DiGiorgio, and Richard Christy. Forget Dimebag Darrel--Those lucky enough to discover Chuck will realize the tragedy of his death. There will never be another artist like him, and he will be greatly missed. RIP.

Best album: The Sound of Perseverence

13. Dark Tranquillity

One of the forerunners of melodic death metal, and easily the most consistent of them, Dark Tranquillity are legends of Scandinavian metal. Mikael Stanne's venomously growls their lyrics filled with gothic imagery and despair. He could very well be one of the best death metal singers of all time, as his voice is both comprehensible and powerful, for lack of a better word. And the rest of the band ain't no slouches. Martin Henriksson and the legendary Niklas Sundin compose infectious riffs that range from brutal to beautiful. Current bass player Daniel Antonsson and former bass player Mikael Niklasson merge with Anders Jivarp to create a competent rythm section that serves as the backbone for the vicious melodies of their music. And key player Martin Brandstrom, who joined the band in 1998, adds a whole new dimension to their sound. Even with the rising numbers of quality Scandinavian metal bands, DT still does it like no other.

Best album: The Gallery... or maybe Projector.

12. Reflexion

A little-known Finnish gothic rock outfit that don't, and probably never well, get the respect they deserve. Their songs, though ranging mostly from 3 to 5 minutes, are catchy little numbers filled with sadness and despair. Sounds cliche? It ain't. Reflexion implement a certain amount of class and innovation into their music. The songs are haunting, heavy, soft, desperate, and beautiful. They could perhaps be described as a more artistically coherent version of HIM, but with less makeup and vein attempts of being gothic and romantic. Reflexion have enough of an edge to beef up their songs and make them not only romantic, but strong. I don't feel I'm doing a very good job of describing this band, so I'll stop.

Best album: Dead to the Past, Blind for Tomorrow.

11. Megadeth

Is a description really necessary? They're fast; they're progressive; they're complex; they're brutal; they're heavy; they're emotional; they're outspoken; they're Megadeth! Or he's Megadeth. Anyway, it's taken me awhile to truly "get" Dave Mustaine's brand of heavy metal, mainly because I've been so caught up in other genres. I finally caved in and gave them a chance after being pressured by a few friends. And for once, peer pressure paid off. While they might be a long-lasting American heavy metal band, Megadeth never sound dated or cliche. There's the punk-jazz thrasher Peace Sells, the progressive and imaginative Rust In Peace, the commercially appealing but still artistic Countdown to Extinction, and many, many others. Easily the most consistent thrash metal band, and the best as well.

Best album: Rust In Peace

Top 10 starting tomorrow! Brace yourselves.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
Death  :metal :metal :metal

Chuck's story was really tragic, I couldn't imagine the music he would be making today if he didn't get ill and pass away.  I prefer the later albums also, a great mix of death metal with some nice hints of prog.  Don't forget some other great artists he worked with; James Murphy, Sean Reinert, Paul Masvidal and Andy LaRocque.  Amazing band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, entering the top 10!!1

10. Radiohead

Radiohead, my first love, my first musical obsession. They've fallen down the list, but they're still worthy to be in the top 10. I remember buying OK Computer when I was 13 or so years old. I didn't like the cold, distant feeling, so I put it away and never gave it another thought. Then, after a long, stressful day at school, for no reason whatsoever, I gave it another chance. Everything clicked. I don't know how or why, but I was immersed in the world of OK Computer. I felt every note and every lyric; I sensed ever bleep and every blurb; I absorbed every trace of distortion. My obsession quickly forced me to find their entire catalogue. The band has matured a lot over the years, and, with perhaps the exception of Pablo Honey, every record is high quality material. Thom Yorke, my God, say what you will, but he really is a genius. It's a shame that the stereotypes about them will insulate some people from ever discovering them. Well, it's their loss.

Best album: OK Computer

9. Eternal Tears of Sorrow

ETOS are the catchiest, most gorgeous symphonic gothic death metal band to ever be. Much more than just a standard melodeath band, they infuse their riffs with a rich, overwhelming symphony of grandiose keys. But I'm not talking about cheesy synth solos or neoclassic fluffy. Oh, no. The keys only enhance the music and provide it with an unprecedented atmosphere of sorrowful melancholy. The lyrics are mournful and romantic, and the music is both brutal and beautiful. In my opinion, they're the very best band that Finland has to offer. After the hiatus between 2001 and 2006, they returned stronger than ever.

Best album: Chaotic Beauty, or maybe Children of the Dark Waters

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
Radiohead  :heart

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
I love me some Chuck Schuldiner.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
RADIOHEAD HELL YEAH.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
I'm wondering how much longer people will stay interested in this thread  :lol

8. Dream Theater

Dream Theater is a really obscure band from Indonesia. You probably haven't heard of them. They play this really unique, experimental brand of tribal polka jazz fusion that is often interwoven with the sounds of animal mating calls. A few years ago, they probably would have been higher on this list. Nonetheless, they still nudge themselves into my top 10. Like for many others on this forum, they were a gateway band for me to discover many other awesome groups and artists. Major street cred.

Best album: Awake

7: Depeche Mode

I'm a fairly new fan of DM, having only discovered them this year. But I completely obsessed with their formula of dark, gothic electronica/pop. Anyone who dismisses them as dated, trendy synth pop is missing out on some truly special music here. Martin Gore and the gang create songs that are dark, miserable, catchy, danceable, beautiful, simple, and elegant. The lyrics are much more refined than one might think, much more profound and heartfelt. They have a rich body of work that has a lot to offer, and you're bound to find something you enjoy.

Best album: Black Celebration

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
When your favorite band of the 70s is at number 19, you obviously haven't heard enough music of the 70s. Aside from that, some kickass band in the list so far.  :smiley:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
When your favorite band of the 70s is at number 19, you obviously haven't heard enough music of the 70s.
Not really.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
Niiice, Depeche :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
When your favorite band of the 70s is at number 19, you obviously haven't heard enough music of the 70s. Aside from that, some kickass band in the list so far.  :smiley:
I've heard plenty of bands from the 70s  :yeahright  ::) Yes would be higher if I made this list a few years ago. My tastes have changed over the years. I still like Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, etc. I just prefer considerably more modern bands these days.  :\ A lot of members of this forum do.

But thanks just the same. Lol.

And yes, Zydar, Depeche Mode rules  :tup

Offline faemir

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
This list just gets better and better.

MOAR!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »
Next 2. It's gettin' close.

6. Agalloch

What a unique band. I still remember the first time I listened to The Mantle just a few years ago. It was like some huge wave crashed down on me and swept me away into some vast ocean of an undiscovered beauty and atmosphere. Ok, that doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure many other Agalloch fans have experienced the same thing. John Haughm's voice is like some somber wind creeping through mazes of trees in a winter forest. The music is both heavy and soft, but not once is it ever overwhelming of bombastic. Indeed, Agalloch's music is like celestial snowfall. The instrumentation is somber and melancholic, but it doesn't try to recreate Opeth or any other band of that genre. They have a unique brand of their own post-rock acoustic/metal/ambient. Really, though, classification is out of the question. They can't be classified. Agalloch have continued to grow with their music through their full-length albums and EPs. Their latest, Marrow of the Spirit, is indicative that they have no intentions of slowing down or ceasing to explore.

Best album: The Mantle

5. Evergrey

Progressive metal? Been there, done that. Long-winding guitar solos? Uh-oh. Concept albums? My head hurts. But fear not, weary explorer of prog--Evergrey takes every stereotype about progressive metal and throws it out the window. Hailing from Sweden, they use their technical acrobatics to create a dark, morose atmosphere. They might try out the concept album here and there, but each song can stand on its own, and the concepts are both engrossing and amazing. Guitar solos are abundant, but never feel out of place or self-indulgent. Neither are the keyboards, which only help set the somber tone. Vocalist Tom Englund isn't a Bruce Dickinson or James LaBrie clone, not even close. His deep, throaty, raspy voice is full of soul and conviction, and he is part of how Evergrey convey their unique sound. He could very well be what makes the band. The lyrics are poetic and melancholic, and Englund's voice enhances their believability and meaning. If you're tired of run-of-the-mill Dream Theater clones, Evergrey is the band for you.

Best album: My favorite Evergrey album seems to switch a lot, but for now, I'll go with In Search of Truth.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:22:15 PM by ravenheart »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
Agalloch  :heart

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
Evergrey!  :tup

Offline faemir

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
Will check out Evergrey.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Will check out Evergrey.
You'll be glad you did ;)

Here are the next 2.

4. Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Bass Communion, solo, No-Man, IEM)

Steven Wilson is definitely no stranger to this forum. I have always loved and enjoyed Porcupine Tree, but after discovering what he has to offer in his side projects, he has quickly jumped to my top 5. There are no limits to what this guy can do. Watching PT grow with their music and the diversity of his other outings is truly a spectacle. The melodies he makes can be anything: slow, fast, melodic, upbeat, somber, slow, dark, dreary, and heavy. Though his lyrics can sometimes be abstract to the point of tears, Steven is still a master at lyric writing and poetry. Just listen to the words on a song like Waiting (Phase One) or Stop Swimming. There is a lot of magic there. Believe the hype about Steven. He's the real deal.

Best album: Hmm... for now, I'll go with PT's Stupid Dream.

3. Pain of Salvation

Say what you will about Daniel Gildenlow's increasingly exasperating behavior. PoS have created some of the most beautiful, thought-provoking, emotional, and profound music out there. Each song is loaded with passion and feeling. You can almost feel the "pain" in them. Gildenlow seems to be a love/hate vocalist. I fall into the former category. His voice might be extravagant and wild, but I feel his talents only enhance the meaning of the songs. He makes me choke up on songs like In the Flesh and The Perfect Element. The music is just as big of a voice itself. The soft parts are soft for a reason, and the heavy parts are heavy for a reason. They never sacrifice substance for style, even when the music is at its most intricate. For awhile, The Perfect Element Part I was all I listened to, and I would normally regard it as my all-time favorite album. I'm not sure what my favorite album is anymore, but it's certainly a contender. BE took awhile to grow on me, but I now hold it in high regard. Scarsick, though it's also grown on me a bit, is quit mediocre. Road Salt is still not quite up to par, but certainly feels more refined and inspired, and the 70s rock feel is a prime representation of PoS' bravery to explore uncharted waters.

Best album: The Perfect Element Part 1.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
It was looking promising until PoS made it.  :biggrin:

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
It was looking promising until SW made it.  :biggrin:
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »
Great to see POS.  I've only been into them about 8 months but they would make it quite high on my list too.

I would like to say how great it is to see Evergrey in your top 5.  They are amazing progressive metal, and they are sooooo underrated.  Recreation Day may be my favourite, it's just one brilliant song after another, but all their albums have a lot to offer.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with with the new album, especially with the new lineup.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
Great to see POS.  I've only been into them about 8 months but they would make it quite high on my list too.

I would like to say how great it is to see Evergrey in your top 5.  They are amazing progressive metal, and they are sooooo underrated.  Recreation Day may be my favourite, it's just one brilliant song after another, but all their albums have a lot to offer.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with with the new album, especially with the new lineup.
Yeah, they've gone through so many lineup changes. It's wild. Tom Englund is the only original member, but he's done a really good job of keeping the band together. Recreation Day is awesome. I can't decide which album of theirs is my favorite. That was my fave for awhile, but now ISOT is.

Anyway, thanks for reading, guys. Here are the final 2 :)

2. Opeth

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Opeth could very well be the best metal band of the 21st century. With haunting melodies and progressions that transcend what any band prior to their emergence has attempted, and gorgeous lyrics that are worthy of the greatest poets, Opeth just has it all. Mikael Akerfeldt's vicious roars from hell intertwine with his soft, beautiful singing, propelling the song from heavy to soft, or from soft to heavy. Never afraid to experiment, Opeth tries something new out on each album, while still retaining their signature sound. The average song length is 10 minutes, yet they never seem to last that long. One can't help but marvel at the beauty they implement into each composition, no matter how violent and evil it sounds. They may have gone through a lot of lineup changes over the years, but they remain as strong as ever with Mikael's vision guiding their way.

Best album: Either Still Life or Blackwater Park

And numero uno..............

Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, solo, Unicorn, Odyssey, Subway Mirror, Karaboudjan, Steel, Star One, Pan-Thy-Monium, Argentum, Bloodbath)

Here he is, my favorite artist. He's best known for his melodic/progressive death metal band, Edge of Sanity, one of the pioneers of the genre. He's also produced Opeth's first 2 albums. But there is so much more to him than that. There's the progressive AOR/hard rock of Nightingale, the soft, Marillion-influenced Unicorn, the Rush-style progressive death metal of his solo album, and much, much more. I don't think there's anything this man CAN'T do. His growl is demonic and hair-raising, and his singing voice is soulful and beautiful, and he knows exactly when and how to use them. The lyrics, though sometimes tongue-in-cheek and humorous, are much more often personal and introspective (especially with Nightingale and Unicorn). I can relate to Swano's lyrics in ways I can't relate with any other artist. Just listen to something like Unicorn's Hiding Again, or Add Reality from his solo album, or Silent from Edge of Sanity. I can't get enough of this stuff. It's a shame he isn't more popular. In fact, he could very well be Scandinavia's best kept secret. All of his work is highly recommended, and you can't go wrong with any of it.

Best album: There is sooooo much to choose from.... but his solo album, Moontower, might just be the perfect one.