Author Topic: FDA to ban caffeinated alcohol drinks  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: FDA to ban caffeinated alcohol drinks
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »
The problem is, when given the oppurtunity and freedom to do so, people will often make horrible decisions on their own.

So the question is, do we allow them to make dumb decisions?

I think we should allow it.
I say we give people the means and the education to allow them to make good decisions, and let them do that.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
The problem is, when given the oppurtunity and freedom to do so, people will often make horrible decisions on their own.

So the question is, do we allow them to make dumb decisions?

I think we should allow it.
The government should allow it.  The people should teach responsibility.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
I'm sorry are you guys just agreeing with me? Or did I put somewhere that I felt that they should somehow be restricted from doing what they want?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
I'm sorry are you guys just agreeing with me? Or did I put somewhere that I felt that they should somehow be restricted from doing what they want?
You asked a question, we answered it.  But yes, we agree with you.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
You asked a question, we answered it.  But yes, we agree with you.

Oh it was kind of a rhetorical question, like a question I ask in a post and then just answer myself.

Like...do I post like that often?

Yes I do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
These drinks are probably the foulest tasting things I've ever gotten drunk off more than once. They're great if you're trying to get FUCKED UPPP WHOO YEAAHH, but unfortunately they lead to more slurred shoutings of "I cann drivee brah, dont even wurry about it brah" instead of the "fuck it, you're sober, you drive" that regular liquor produces. That being said, I'm not for the ban at all.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
As you might have guessed by now, I drink.  28 years of experience has made me fairly good at it.  I have a very good grasp of how much I've had and when to slow down--a skill most people seem to lack.  These things will screw that particular ability all to hell.  There is no "I'm starting to feel pretty wasted, I'd better slow down" indicator.  You're fine.  You're still fine.  You're still doing fine.  You're in a cell with tazer burns on your hip.
I enjoy these tasty malt beverages pretty regularly and that's not what I experience at all. Yes, it's easy to get tanked pretty quickly, but I don't feel anymore prone to jump off a roof or fight somebody; nor do I lose my ability to recognize how intoxicated I am. There's little unique about the drinks, it's just the combination of rowdy college kids and too much alcohol. Anybody willing to go through an entire can, or two, of the stuff is someone who likely would drink the equivalent in beer or tequila shots anyway. 

Yes, they'll still drink vodka and Red Bull, but they'll be drinking it in smaller increments (though just as much overall), and they'll be ingesting the alcohol much more slowly. 
Considering the people we're talking about, I highly doubt that. If they were drinking in a bar it may be in smaller increments, but probably not otherwise.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »
This is pretty ridiculous.  Like its been said before, people will just go back to mixing Red Bull and Vodka.  Not to mention kids always find some way of getting their hands on illegal substances.  If these are banned, whats to stop the government from banning all alcohol or tobacco?  This is not something the government should've banned.  Forced retailers to check for I.D. and know the product?  Sure.  Make it very clear on the cans that it contains alcohol?  Okay.  Banning them?  No way.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »
As you might have guessed by now, I drink.  28 years of experience has made me fairly good at it.  I have a very good grasp of how much I've had and when to slow down--a skill most people seem to lack.  These things will screw that particular ability all to hell.  There is no "I'm starting to feel pretty wasted, I'd better slow down" indicator.  You're fine.  You're still fine.  You're still doing fine.  You're in a cell with tazer burns on your hip.
I enjoy these tasty malt beverages pretty regularly and that's not what I experience at all. Yes, it's easy to get tanked pretty quickly, but I don't feel anymore prone to jump off a roof or fight somebody; nor do I lose my ability to recognize how intoxicated I am. There's little unique about the drinks, it's just the combination of rowdy college kids and too much alcohol. Anybody willing to go through an entire can, or two, of the stuff is someone who likely would drink the equivalent in beer or tequila shots anyway. 

Yes, they'll still drink vodka and Red Bull, but they'll be drinking it in smaller increments (though just as much overall), and they'll be ingesting the alcohol much more slowly. 

Considering the people we're talking about, I highly doubt that. If they were drinking in a bar it may be in smaller increments, but probably not otherwise.

Fair enough.  If you have practical experience with the things, I certainly won't argue with you.  I do still think that the incrementality counts for something.  While the amount of alcohol might still be the same, 10 beers (or shots) vs. 2 cans is a mighty big difference.  I suspect that there actually are a few people who'd quit drinking after, say, 8 beers but continue on to finish the second can.  Or people who'd knock off after 12 beers, but slam the end of a 3rd can before going comatose. 

Mind you, I'm opposed to the ban just like you.  I just think these things are designed specifically to get people surprisingly hammered and generally a bad idea. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
Perhaps a little off topic, but here's a video of an internet reviewer drinking some of this stuff (should be the most recent video on his site):

https://thecinemasnob.com/

...my name is Araragi.