Poll

Dio or Ozzy?

Dio
14 (32.6%)
Ozzy
29 (67.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Who had the better career-- Dio or Ozzy?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Who had the better career-- Dio or Ozzy?
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
So I was just thinking about these 2 icons of metal and comparing them in my head.  Both have been members of Black Sabbath, and both went on to successful solo careers that included some spotty albums mixed along with some great ones.  Ozzy had the longer time with Sabbath, but Dio helped to found Rainbow.  And of course, both have managed to play with some great guitarists:  Ozzy with Iommi, Rhoads, Zak Wylde, etc.  Dio with Iommi, Blackmore, Viv Cambell, etc.   Both have come to represent heavy metal, but each in a different way.  Ozzy was insane and inane, the ultimate crazy man of rock n' roll.  Dio was well-grounded, sober and thoughtful, a true chivalrous gentleman and spokesman for the genre.

So who wins:  The man who invented the \m/ heavy metal horns?  Or the one who ate bat-heads and shit?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Who had the better career-- Dio or Ozzy?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
This ain't even close: Ozzy.

Sabbath was better, bigger and more popular with him as the singer, and Ozzy's solo career eclipses Rainbow or anything else Dio did.  Not trying to disparage Dio at all, but I don't think it is close.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
great question, LV...

I would argue that Ozzy had the more successful (Ozzfest, etc) and Dio had the more respectable...but I voted Oz

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
I like Dio's solo material more than Ozzy's (from the very limited selection I've heard from both), but I am a bigger fan of the Ozzy-led Sabbath.

So I guess I'll vote Ozzy.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
This ain't even close: Ozzy.

Sabbath was better, bigger and more popular with him as the singer, and Ozzy's solo career eclipses Rainbow or anything else Dio did.  Not trying to disparage Dio at all, but I don't think it is close.

Exactly. Regardless of who the better singer is, Ozzy had the better career. Hurts to admit because I prefer Dio over Ozzy without question.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
I don't like Ozzy at all, and I greatly prefer Dio. But Ozzy clearly had the better career.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
You also need to remember that Ozzy had his own reality show.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
And it was terrible.

Dio, not even close. I don't care who was more popular or made more money. I personally enjoy and respect Dio a hell of a lot more than I respect Ozzy.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
Ozzy with Iommi, Rhoads, Zak Wylde, etc.

Not sure why you left out Jake E. Lee.  Bark At The Moon and The Ultimate Sin were just as pivotal after Rhoads died as Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman were after Ozzy left Sabbath.  Not to mention they are both some of Ozzy's best work.

I voted for Ozzy, but clearly they are both masters of metal.  If the poll were to decide who was the classiest, Dio would win that one.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
I don't care who was more popular or made more money.

But...that's the whole point of the thread. That's the question at hand, not who you like more.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
ozzy is a piece of shit but him :tick2:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:24:16 PM by Keyboardframe »

Offline jsem

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:16 PM »
Ozzy had the more successful career. Dio was better imo.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »

But...that's the whole point of the thread. That's the question at hand, not who you like more.
Then why make a topic? Its pretty obvious Ozzy made a hell of a lot more money than Dio did during their careers. If its a numbers game, then Ozzy wins out no question. Close the topic because you already have the answer. I assumed it was asking whose career you prefer, but whatever.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
Ozzy!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »

Well, to be fair, I left that part of it open...  better career could mean several things: who made more money?  who had more worldwide popularity and fame (or infamy in Ozzy's case)?  or who had a better career from a purely musical standpoint?  

Edit:  Actually, if you read my opening post, I bring up several points that are not strictly related to such things as monetary success and worldwide popularity. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:56:26 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
I don't like Ozzy at all, and I greatly prefer Dio. But Ozzy clearly had the better career.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »

Well, to be fair, I left that part of it open...  better career could mean several things: who made more money?  who had more worldwide popularity and fame (or infamy in Ozzy's case)?  or who had a better career from a purely musical standpoint?  
That makes more sense. Who would I rather hear sing? Dio, no question about it. Ozzy's voice has only gotten worse while Dio's still held up until his death.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »
Ozzy eating a bat's head was bullshit. He bit it off when the bat was thrown at him from a member of the audience and he thought it was a fake bat. They were screaming out that it was a live bat and he was like "WHAT?!" so he spat it out. So yeah, look up the report on YouTube.

Ozzy I voted for because he didn't take any shit, drug/alcohol addiction history or not, he had the better career as a whole.
edited for spelling/grammar
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:49:26 PM by SPNKr »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Dio was the better singer who made better songs, especially in the awesome Rainbow. 

Ozzy was an overrated singer who seemed to be able to weasel his way in with the right musicians

So bottom line, Dio made better music so he had the better career.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
Something else to consider is that Ozzy was propped up by a lot of other people and clever marketing.  Ozfest would be just as successful without his presence at all (and there have been plenty of those).  The reality show brought him exposure to a lot of other people who would otherwise have been completely uninterested in the guy, so his filthy cunt of a wife gets the credit there.  The long awaited Sabbath reunion sold out large venues because of the reunion aspect.  The Ozmosis tour was his alleged retirement tour, so plenty of people went for that.  I guess my point is that Ozzy is largely a result of crafty marketing, and while you could certainly say he's had a better career, it wouldn't be because of his music, which has pretty weak for the most part.  That lowers him quite a bit in my opinion.    I suspect that if it weren't for the legend that his antics created, he wouldn't have been as successful as RJD, who was of course much better in the qualities that matter.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
And it was terrible.
But it opened him up to a slew of new fans.

So yes, Ozzy had the better career.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
, and while you could certainly say he's had a better career, it wouldn't be because of his music, which has pretty weak for the most part.  That lowers him quite a bit in my opinion.    I suspect that if it weren't for the legend that his antics created, he wouldn't have been as successful as RJD, who was of course much better in the qualities that matter.
Bart, interesting take, and I agree.

For Ozzy, obviously the influence of the Sabbath years is the trump in this argument. But beyond that, the 3 record run of Blizzard Of Ozz (a TAC Top #25), Diary Of A Madman, and Bark At The Moon is almost unparalleled. Sure there's some shit in ther Ozzy catalog, but even No More Tears and Ozzmosis still rank as strong albums. It was said before in this thread, but Ozzy was surrounded by far better musicians than Dio ever was.

..and ultimately because of that point, Dio's solo career really suffered IMO in quality. Once Vivian Campbell left, there was a huge void that was never filled. Craig Goldie has nothing on Campbell, or even Rowan Robertson for that matter. WTF ever happened to him? Lock Up The Wolves was really the last great album Dio did.

But when surrounded by good musicians like Blackmore, Powell, and Campbell, Dio's message was truly enhanced. His performance on Rainbow's On Stage is mind blowing. Same for Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver, and The Last In Line.

However, perhaps I was just not old enough to "get" the whole Ozzy thing. In high school Dio really lifted me up and took me on a musical journey. People talk about the "magic" of Dio, but there really is something there. His lyrics sparked imagination, his delivery commanded attention, but it was his passion and integrity that won my loyalty over. Hearing his voice puts me in a time machine and takes me back to my teenage years like really none other.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
Awesome post, TAC

I went with Dio, but I suppose I'm thinking 'better' in a different sense.  Just one thing brings down Ozzy's career for me: Sharon Osbourne.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
Ozzy Osbourne no question. Between his performance with Black Sabbath, Ozzfest, his multitude of solo hits compared to Dio's two or three (at least nowadays), his reality show, and all the crazy things Ozzy's done over the years, I think it's quite apparent that he had the better career overall.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
I prefer Dio, but Ozzy had the better career.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »
From a financial standpoint, Ozzy had the better career. As far as consistency goes, Dio easily wins. The last album he sang on (The Devil You Know, I think), his voice was just as powerful as it was when he first showed up in Sabbath. That's a hell of an accomplishment.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
Other people have already basically said what I'm going to say: Ozzy was more successful, but I wish RJD would have been because he was such a stand-up guy and great ambassador for metal.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:11 PM »
I guess my point is that Ozzy is largely a result of crafty marketing, and while you could certainly say he's had a better career, it wouldn't be because of his music, which has pretty weak for the most part.

Could not have said it better. The overall influence of Black Sabbath's early albums notwithstanding, I think Dio is superior to Ozzy in every way. He is a better singer and songwriter. And if you are judging by personal integrity, Dio wins hands down. On stage til the end Dio was a master of his craft. He clearly worked to maintain his vocals. He did not destroy them by the excesses of rock stardom. His career is defined not by his excesses or stupid antics, but by the quality of his voice throughout his career. Right up to the end, he was a better vocalist than singers half his age. That defines success to me. It is not about money. it is about integrity and from all the respect that was shown following his passing, it is clear that Dio was rememberd for having that personal integrity.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:28 AM »
Dio. Ozzy may be wealthier, but at least Dio got to spend his final years sane and never really lost respect from any of his fans. Dio will always be a hero. Ozzy, on the other hand, will go down as a icon who sold out, over and over again.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
I guess my point is that Ozzy is largely a result of crafty marketing, and while you could certainly say he's had a better career, it wouldn't be because of his music, which has pretty weak for the most part.
He did not destroy them by the excesses of rock stardom. His career is defined not by his excesses or stupid antics, but by the quality of his voice throughout his career.
I watched an interview where he said before he'd go on stage every night, he's smoke half a joint and drink half a beer and he'd be set.

That alone might not substantially damage him, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
Ozzy of course, I also like his solo material better, c'mon!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
He did not destroy them by the excesses of rock stardom. His career is defined not by his excesses or stupid antics, but by the quality of his voice throughout his career.
I watched an interview where he said before he'd go on stage every night, he's smoke half a joint and drink half a beer and he'd be set.

That alone might not substantially damage him, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
It was pretty well known that he was a stoner and enjoyed wine a great deal.  The thing is that he was never associated with excess. 

Ozzy of course, I also like his solo material better, c'mon!
To be honest, I stopped paying attention to him after NRftW,  but from what I've heard, he only did one solo album that I thought was really good.  Frankly, I always thought Blizzard was overrated.  Diary, after the band really gelled, was a masterpiece.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
I, too, prefer Diary... to Blizzard..., but both are really good.  I also think No More Tears is pretty damn good, too, and Ozzmosis is an underrated one that doesn't get talked about enough.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »
Ozzy had the more successful career. Dio was better imo.