Author Topic: San Francisco becomes more...nannying and other libertarian bane.  (Read 14818 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: San Francisco becomes more...nannying and other libertarian bane.
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »
The big difference here is that people are saying each other's arguments--not eachother-- suck; a distinction which is unfortunately absent from most places on the internet where politics are discussed. This is not one of those places. No one here has any issues with each other on a personal level. Let's not start trying to make nothing into a big deal.
I dunno, I got a sense of hostility from the both of you towards each other from both of your posts, which lead to that indication.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
Maybe in the past but now, not at all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
Maybe in the past but now, not at all.
I dunno, reading through this topic makes me rage and want to punch everyone in it.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
I disagree with PC, but I don't dislike him. You cant disagree in text without sounding mad.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
I disagree with PC, but I don't dislike him. You cant disagree in text without sounding mad.
Its not that, its that both of you seem to be working off of circular logic, so its impossible to figure out what side actually has a good point and which one doesn't and it makes me want to hurt everyone that has posted in this topic.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
Seventh Son, just stop. There's no issue here, mmkay?  ;D

Yeah, this.

And, to be completely honest, I suppose at the end of the day I'd side with the libertarians on this issue. While I do think communities should have the right to keep certain businesses out (granted that this isn't racially motivated or anything) I think it's extremely reactive and harsh for the city of San Fransisco to ban something based on so little evidence. I'm not sure I'd say the same yet about those energy drinks in the other thread.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:51 AM »
The big difference here is that people are saying each other's arguments--not eachother-- suck; a distinction which is unfortunately absent from most places on the internet where politics are discussed. This is not one of those places. No one here has any issues with each other on a personal level. Let's not start trying to make nothing into a big deal.
I agree. It's almost never the discussion participants who complain about ad hominem arguments. Very telling. Anyway, I had double cheeseburgers for dinner, and McDonald's should be allowed to market those little discs of deliciousness to me or anybody else they like. Whether we buy them or not is completely up to us.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:25:37 AM by William Wallace »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »
Here in Hong Kong, I can actually just have them delivered to my room  :P

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
Here in Hong Kong, I can actually just have them delivered to my room  :P
We need to put a stop to that! Honestly, people don't know what they're doing when pick up a phone, order mcnuggets and then have them delivered.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
UPDATE

https://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/11/happy_meal_ban_mcdonalds_outsm.php

I find this absolutely hilarious.
Suck on that, San Francisco. Also, I just reread this thread and am even more convinced that these bans are garbage. There's a lot of nutrition research that's simply ignored when people tout these bans as a way to make kids healthier.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
Look, I'm 47 and McDonalds was around when I was a kid.  Children today aren't fat because McDonalds sells happy meals.  Children today are fat because they sit on their asses playing video games instead of riding their bikes and playing in the park, etc. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
*makes note to play in the park more than playing video games*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »
Look, I'm 47 and McDonalds was around when I was a kid.  Children today aren't fat because McDonalds sells happy meals.  Children today are fat because they sit on their asses playing video games instead of riding their bikes and playing in the park, etc.

And get driven everywhere because of their paranoid parents.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
Seriously.  Childhood obesity is a fucking crock.  It mostly comes from parents either feeding their kids unhealthy food all the time because they don't know how to cook, or can't afford fresh food.  or the fact that kids don't go outside and play as much as they used to.

I mean, I was always outside playing with friends and playing multiple sports all the time.  I got plenty of exercise growing up.

Childhood obesity is a problem that parents need to address on an individual basis.  It is not for the government to decide.  Don't take my McDonald's away because I'm nowhere near fat and I know enough to not eat McDonald's often.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »

While agreeing with your general sentiment, I just feel like pointing out that McDonalds today is not the McDonalds of 30 years ago. THey didn't use to ammonia-wash their meat, for starters.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »

While agreeing with your general sentiment, I just feel like pointing out that McDonalds today is not the McDonalds of 30 years ago. THey didn't use to ammonia-wash their meat, for starters.
How does that impact the weight of people who eat it? Seriously asking, not being a jerk.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »

How does that impact the weight of people who eat it? Seriously asking, not being a jerk.

"while agreeing with your general sentiment"

It doesn't. There's more to health than weight, though.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42:53 AM »

Er, yeah, right, but that wasn't my point.    My point was, there was plenty of fast food around when I was a kid.   But childhood obesity wasn't an epidemic in the 60's and 70's and I believe that is largely due to the fact that children were much, much more active then than they are now.

There are many facets to this issue.  A big part of the problem is the fact that most families cannot afford to live on a single salary, thus, both parents now work.  This, I believe, exacerbates the whole childhood obesity problem because instead of kids coming home from school and going outside to play ball or ride their bikes, they often either go to some latch-key after-school program where they sit on their asses playing video games, then they come home and sit on their asses some more to play more video games.  Same thing on weekends.  X-Box, Nintendo, PlayStation, whatever.  Kids don't play ball or ride bikes any more, they engage in simulated combat in front of a computer screen sitting on their ass.  So when you combine that with a poor diet, you have fat kids.

That's obviously a gross oversimplification, but I think it summarizes some of the problem.

It's not the fault of McDonalds that kids are fat.  It's a combination of poor or inadequate supervision from parents, which isn't always 100% the fault of the parents, who are often victims of their financial circumstances and don't have the same amount of free time to devote to parenting as my generation's parents did.  It's a pretty vicious circle.  You can lay some of the blame at the feet of parents, but not all of it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
Here's the study showing kid's preference for McDonalds. https://adage.com/article?article_id=119753

"They actually believe that the chicken nugget they think is from McDonald's tastes better than an identical, unbranded nugget."
It doesn't matter what you feed them, if it comes in a McDonalds wrapper it will automatically be better. 

I'm actually stunned to here people suggest that kids aren't brainwashed zombies.  I mean, damn.

When I was a kid, I would want my parents to buy me anything that I saw on Nickelodeon, I didn't care what it was.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »

30 years ago McDonalds didn't have a breakfast sandwhich that contained almost 500 calories, 40% of your daily saturated fat, 50% of your daily sodium, and 80% of your daily cholesterol. That's just one example.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »

30 years ago McDonalds didn't have a breakfast sandwhich that contained almost 500 calories, 40% of your daily saturated fat, 50% of your daily sodium, and 80% of your daily cholesterol. That's just one example.

But so what?  That's their product.  People can easily not purchase it.  Easily.  A little person responsibility saves a lot of money and time in stupid legislation.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »

But so what?  That's their product.  People can easily not purchase it.  Easily.  A little person responsibility saves a lot of money and time in stupid legislation.

But people are not responsible....

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »
Then fuck them.  If they can't take care of their own personal health, then screw it.  Next we ban ice cream and cookies.  Right?  What's the difference?  Why do we need laws telling people how to eat healthy?  That's ridiculous. 

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »
while I am definately opposed to gov't playing this type of role, I also understand the reality that health issues like smoking, unhealthy eating habits, drug addiction, etc ending up costing tax payers (increased insurance premiums, uninsured patients, disabilities, workers comp, etc). 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:34 AM »
Then fuck them.  If they can't take care of their own personal health, then screw it.  Next we ban ice cream and cookies.  Right?  What's the difference?  Why do we need laws telling people how to eat healthy?  That's ridiculous.

That's my attitude as well... toward adults. It's not fair that a kid can be screwed for life because the parents neglected his/her health for their first 15 years.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
How is the kid being screwed?  It is up to the parents not to take their kid do McDonald's every day.  The parent needs to do the damn parenting.  Not the US gov.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
How is the kid being screwed?  It is up to the parents not to take their kid do McDonald's every day. 

...and if the parent does take their kid to McDonald's every day, the kid is screwed. I'm not saying that's justification for these kind of laws, but it's kind of hard to deny that the parent's harming the kid in some form.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »
Thank you.

Thank you.

And sorry, Scheavo. I didn't pay attention to your first comment.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
How is the kid being screwed?  It is up to the parents not to take their kid do McDonald's every day. 

...and if the parent does take their kid to McDonald's every day, the kid is screwed. I'm not saying that's justification for these kind of laws, but it's kind of hard to deny that the parent's harming the kid in some form.

But what the hell does that have to do with laws and government?  These are all personal things in personal life.  It has nothing to do with the public.  Seriously.  The whole idea of banning fatty foods is so roundabout and arbitrary.  If you ban McDonalds you might as well ban every candy out there, all frozen dinners, butter, cheese etc etc. 

The government is not supposed to make up for bad parenting.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

Er, yeah, right, but that wasn't my point.   
[/font][/size]

WHILE AGREEING WITH YOUR GENERAL SENTIMENT. What I added is an... addition... not a rebuttal.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »

But what the hell does that have to do with laws and government?  These are all personal things in personal life.  It has nothing to do with the public.  Seriously.  The whole idea of banning fatty foods is so roundabout and arbitrary.  If you ban McDonalds you might as well ban every candy out there, all frozen dinners, butter, cheese etc etc. 

The government is not supposed to make up for bad parenting.

So no government intervention of any kind if:

• Children are left unattended in a household for days at a time with no supervision
  • Children are supplied drugs or alcohol by adults
  • Children are physically abused by their parents
  • Children are left to live in filth and squalor
  • etc
  • etc
The government can, should and does intervene in the lives of children under some circumstances.  That's one of the purposes of a government, to protect its citizens, particularly those that cannot protect themselves.

Do I agree with banning happy meals?  No, I don't.  But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.  There are plenty of perfectly valid circumstances under which government intervention in the lives of children is absolutely appropriate.

Offline jsem

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
What? Physically abused? You know, libertarians aren't against laws that prohibit assault or sexual misconduct.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »
What? Physically abused? You know, libertarians aren't against laws that prohibit assault or sexual misconduct.

He wrote that the government is "not supposed to make up for bad parenting" and it's my contention that "making up for bad parenting" is precisely one of the things the government SHOULD most definitely be doing.  I just don't like this sort of "all or nothing" approach sometimes used in these online discussions. 

Sure, we have to have balance and parents have to be free to raise their children as they see fit, but there are plenty of cases where government intervention is beneficial.  You mentioned Physical Abuse and Sexual Misconduct.  Those would be two examples where the government CAN and SHOULD "make up for bad parenting"