Author Topic: San Francisco becomes more...nannying and other libertarian bane.  (Read 14817 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: San Francisco becomes more...nannying and other libertarian bane.
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
Big fucking difference between a simple bad parent, and an abusive parent.  It's like no one here can think in any terms other than black and white sometimes, I swear.

Like I said, if this law bans happy meals, might as well ban candy, ice cream, soda, whatever.  The government shouldn't be telling me what I can consume (within reason obviously.  I'm obviously not going to say its ok to give your kids hard drugs).

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
Never mind, I'm clearly way too stupid to engage someone of your vastly superior intellect in this discussion.  :|

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
Never mind, I'm clearly way too stupid to engage someone of your vastly superior intellect in this discussion.  :|

lol I'm sorry man.  I didn't mean to sound so confrontational.  It's just, reason must be applied to these debates.  There are always exceptions to every rule.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline jsem

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
Yeah, of course. And I don't see anyone on this forum disagreeing with that. That's not a law concerning specifically bad parenting or limiting the choices of consumers in the market, that's a law prohibiting the violation of the rights of other individuals - which is precisely the purpose of law.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
Big fucking difference between a simple bad parent, and an abusive parent.  It's like no one here can think in any terms other than black and white sometimes, I swear.

From a different angle...  an abusive or sexually assualting parent can have negative effects of a child mentally and at times be painful. A bad parent letting their child get to 150 pounds by the second grade is putting their life in danger. In my mind that can be just as bad, if not worse than certain abuse cases. I am not saying ban happy meals, kids should be allowed to enjoy food now and then. You can't tell me there aren't parents out there who feed their kids McDonalds every day, and on some days more than once. There is no reason why McDonalds couldn't make the kids selection healty.

Like I said, if this law bans happy meals, might as well ban candy, ice cream, soda, whatever.  The government shouldn't be telling me what I can consume (within reason obviously.  I'm obviously not going to say its ok to give your kids hard drugs).

This isn't about being told what you can consume. It's about giving kids a fair chance at life who's parents are negleting their health.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
And again.  It is not the governments place to come in and tell Mcdonalds what and what not to sell as far as their menu goes.  Parents that let their kid get to 150 pounds by feeding them crap are bad parents.  It's not McDonalds fault.  It literally has nothing to do with McDonalds because its so easily avoided its absurd.  Parent just needs to say, ok I'm not taking you to McDonald's.  Boom McDonalds problem solved without regulations.

The smart good parents will have their kids benefit, the bad parents will just go on doing what they do and their kids will suffer for it until they can make the decision themselves not to eat it every day.  This is where nutritional studies in school come in, so kids are aware.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
And again.  It is not the governments place to come in and tell Mcdonalds what and what not to sell as far as their menu goes.  Parents that let their kid get to 150 pounds by feeding them crap are bad parents. 

Should we be able to take those kids away from those bad parents, under the same logic as to why we take abusive kids away from abusive parents? I think that's another thread on this forum though, so perhaps this should go there.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
If it is actually abuse then yes.  Say, a parent forcing their kid to eat Mcdonalds every day for all meals.  Sure, maybe because that would be really unhealthy for anyone, especially a child.  But, a child going maybe once a day, I'm not too sure. 

The real question, can you just take kids away from parents for just being a lousy parent?  I'd say no.  It would have to be some kind of abuse.

Offline jsem

« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »
I'd say that it's more a social responsibility of their neighbors, doctors, family and friends to teach them a lesson on raising their kids. I'm not saying that that would fix all problems, but the major responsibility should be there.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

lol I'm sorry man.  I didn't mean to sound so confrontational.  It's just, reason must be applied to these debates.  There are always exceptions to every rule.

I know that!  And I've tried very hard to be even-handed here.  If you read my posts, you'll see that, I think.  Alright, it's all good.  Kudos to you for apologizing, I probably overreacted anyway.  :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
If it is actually abuse then yes.  Say, a parent forcing their kid to eat Mcdonalds every day for all meals.  Sure, maybe because that would be really unhealthy for anyone, especially a child.  But, a child going maybe once a day, I'm not too sure. 

The real question, can you just take kids away from parents for just being a lousy parent?  I'd say no.  It would have to be some kind of abuse.

No, you can't take them away for just being idiots, otherwise, most of my nieces and nephews would have their kids removed by the state, but with that said, there should be some standards, shouldn't there?

Like I mentioned above, before I flipped out, sometimes, the state can intervene and it really does affect a positive change in the life of an innocent child.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Yes but typically the state won't intervene on something that would ruin it for other people and intervene on crimes.  Like, say they banned McDonalds in a state outright, or restricted their menu because kids were getting fat.  That'd be ridiculous.  Because it would be ruining McDonalds for people who like what they offer.  Not everyone is irresponsible about it, just the irresponsible ones.  We don't need lame blanket laws for a few idiot people.  I mean to say McDonalds is a threat to the public is totally wrong.

The only threat to those kids are bad parenting and lack of exorcise.  Any normal healthy kid can go eat mcdonalds twice a week and be totally fine.

There is just absolutely no need for government to intervene in McDonalds business practices.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:11 AM »

There is just absolutely no need for government to intervene in McDonalds business practices.

Here we agree.  In fact, I've always agreed that the happy meal ban was ill-conceived.