Author Topic: Anyone have any uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs?  (Read 14003 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Anyone have any uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs?
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
If you look at tick's post, he edited it. I'm pretty sure he messed up the tags (from what I remember) but I thought the pic was great and wanted to keep that flow going.

Assumptions can tear us apart.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
If you look at tick's post, he edited it. I'm pretty sure he messed up the tags (from what I remember) but I thought the pic was great and wanted to keep that flow going.

Assumptions can tear us apart.

I'm so sorry jimmy. Oh my god what have I done.

Anywho, this thread seems pretty odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »
Eh, maybe some of my other posts have adopted a 5/8 feel (mostly unintentionally, though sometimes I think it can be funny, but sometimes not, but this wasn't one of those times), but if you guys are seriously disappointed in me, then sorry.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
Eh, maybe some of my other posts have adopted a 5/8 feel (mostly unintentionally, though sometimes I think it can be funny, but sometimes not, but this wasn't one of those times), but if you guys are seriously disappointed in me, then sorry.

I'm not disappointed in you specifically. I'm just disappointed every time I read a post where someone employs the first meme they can think of to try and be funny, only it's not funny at all.

Offline j

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »
For the record, the pic in tick's post didn't come up for me at first either.  So it looked like only Jamesman posted it.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »

I'm not disappointed in you specifically. I'm just disappointed every time I read a post where someone employs the first meme they can think of to try and be funny, only it's not funny at all.

Yeah, that can get old (though I am positive I have done it, so...).

Bleh. Whatever, we just derailed this to talk about a misinterpretation of my post.

I believe all physical reality is a manifestation of the eternal consciousness that is us all.

What traits does this "eternal consciousness" have? Is is sentient? Is it personal? Is it active today?

Offline Adami

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
It is us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
How did you come to that conclusion?

Offline Adami

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
How did you come to that conclusion?

It came to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
Bleh. Whatever, we just derailed this to talk about a misinterpretation of my post.

I'm pretty sure no-one is misinterpreting it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure no-one is misinterpreting it.

The picture? I'd say some people were. I wasn't trying to "5/8" this thread at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2010, 03:30:13 AM »
OK, can we hereby stop berating James?  He wasn't 5/8-ing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »
Oh and By the way, Jesus mentions hell more than anyone else in the New Testament. If there was no need for Hell there would have been no need for Christ in the first place. without Hell there would have been no Christ at all.

I was going to mention this.

If there is no Hell, then what are we saved from? From eternal separation from God? I don't think a nonbeliever would care about that. Punishment (or consequences), though, is different. Being saved from that hopelessness and pain matters. Eternally existing or not existing means that accepting Christ is nothing necessarily important, or, more to the point, nothing saving about it. It becomes more like a club than a rescue at that point.
OK, let me see what I can say about this.

The common Christian perspective on salvation is that salvation = an afterlife event; in other words, salvation is salvation from an eternity in Hell.  The only thing that can save us from an eternity of pain and suffering is belief in Jesus as the Savior.  Achieving this salvation is the main thrust of the Christian religion.

However, for most of the history of the Jewish people, this is a foreign concept.  The idea of an existence of any kind after death is extremely late, first appearing in the book of Daniel, written around 165 BCE.  Earlier books of the Bible either don't mention an afterlife at all or do so only ambiguously (references to Sheol cannot really be seen as evidence of a continued existence post-death - it is equivalent to the Greek Hades, just the place of the dead.  The living are here with us, the dead are in Sheol).  There is certainly no expectation of a Heaven full of rewards for believers and a Hell full of punishment of nonbelievers.  It simply wasn't part of the Jewish religion.  It was this way in 1700 BCE (Abraham), 1300 BCE (the Exodus from Egypt), 1000 BCE (David) or from 750-400 BCE (the main times of the classical prophets). 

Therefore, for the vast majority of their history, the religion of the people of Israel was not motivated by a belief in the afterlife.  However, they still took their relationship with God very seriously, and they still spoke often of salvation.  But what did salvation mean for them?

Well, depending on which part of the Bible you are reading, salvation in God meant many different things.  Salvation meant enlightenment.  It also meant forgiveness.  It also meant material sustenance (food & drink).  Well-being.  It also meant liberation, both materially (the Exodus) and emotionally/spiritually.  It also meant reconciliation, both with others and with God.  It also meant healing, again both physically and emotionally/spiritually.  But the common theme is that God is our salvation, right here, right now, not later in some nebulous afterlife.

I think that God's grace is very real.  However, the very concept of a Hell to which people are doomed unless they are "in the club" doesn't make sense, and doesn't conform to an image of a God who is loving, righteous, and just.  Why would a Hell exist?  Is entry to an afterlife of rewards granted by God's grace, or is there a requirement of us?  If there IS a requirement, then isn't Christianity really a religion of works?  If, on the other hand, entry is granted by grace, then does everyone go to Heaven?  If not, is that because God predestines some to go to Heaven and the rest to go to Hell?  In other words, is God's grace capricious, granted to some undeserving people but not to other undeserving people?

If my entry into Heaven (and avoidance of Hell) is dependent on my free-will choice to respond to God, then my "salvation" is dependent on something I do.  But this means that salvation is no longer dependent on grace, but a requirement.  So, is salvation achieved by grace or by works?

Do only Christians get to Heaven?  Obviously, that has been the viewpoint of most Christians over the last 2,000 years.  But is it righteous and just that billions of souls are consigned to an eternity in Hell just because they've never heard of Christianity, or it wasn't presented to them in a convincing fashion, or wasn't presented correctly at all?

So, while I have no doubt that the early Christians who are responsible for the writing of the New Testament believed in the existence of an afterlife of rewards for them and punishments for their persecutors (and there are reasons that they believed in these things, but that is a different post altogether), the evidence of the Scriptures produced before that time and the character of God revealed throughout the entirety of Scripture speak against such an eternity.  There may be an afterlife existence of some kind, but if so, there is no way that any of us know anything about what it could be, and it wasn't important enough for us here on this side of eternity for God to tell any of the ancient Israelites about it, or to tell them to evangelize their surrounding countries about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
Oh stop being a wuss and take it like a man.
I edited my post because I miss used the word "your" and I didn't want to be corrected.  :yeahright

Seriously. I posted my pic without using the picture thingy so it came up as a link. When I noticed it, I edited it my post.
You can thank me now for saving your ass.
Your welcome.
:tick2:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:33:24 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »
It's not grace without hell.

You were right asserting that if salvation is about a choice you make then salvation isn't by grace.

Daniel wasn't written 165 BC. It was closer to 500 BC.

Salvation never meant enlightenment. Enlightenmet is not a Judeo-Christian concept.

the Pharisees believed in an afterlife as well. The Saducees didn't, The concept of an afterlife is seen as early as genesis when Enoch walked with the Lord and then was no more, later in Kings when Elijah was taken up to heaven in chariots of fire, The temple was it's own Microcosm as was the Tabernacle, the cosmos being symbolic of God's kingdom (the universe) Eden itself was a mountain from where a great river flowed (Zechariah 15 or 16) Isaiah had eschatology, Christology, I'm sure i'd be able to find more examples, this is just from the top of my head.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
Missed that in the dictionary.

You were right asserting that if salvation is about a choice you make then salvation isn't by grace.
Gee, thanks.

Daniel wasn't written 165 BC. It was closer to 500 BC.
You may believe so, but most scholars date it to 165 BCE.

Salvation never meant enlightenment. Enlightenmet is not a Judeo-Christian concept.
I didn't mean enlightenment in the Buddhist sense (which you are correct in stating is not a Judeo-Christian concept), but in the more general meaning of "right knowledge."

the Pharisees believed in an afterlife as well. The Saducees didn't, The concept of an afterlife is seen as early as genesis when Enoch walked with the Lord and then was no more, later in Kings when Elijah was taken up to heaven in chariots of fire, The temple was it's own Microcosm as was the Tabernacle, the cosmos being symbolic of God's kingdom (the universe) Eden itself was a mountain from where a great river flowed (Zechariah 15 or 16) Isaiah had eschatology, Christology, I'm sure i'd be able to find more examples, this is just from the top of my head.
I'm aware that the Pharisees believed in an afterlife.  Pharisees were likewise a late development in the history of the people of Israel.

There is no concept of an afterlife given in the examples of Enoch or Elijah.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding the Temple or the Tabernacle.

Eschatology itself doesn't have anything to do with an afterlife, and by definition there is no Christology in Isaiah.  There are passages that a Christian retcon reading can take to be Messianic prophecies, yes, but they also don't have anything to do with an afterlife.

But to clarify, this is not the thread where religious opinions are refuted.  It's the thread where we list our unconventional opinions.  I was asked a question about some of mine, and I listed what I believe and why.  It's not up to you to approve of my opinions, or to have the same opinions as I do.  Believe whatever you want about these things, it's no skin off my nose.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:40 AM »
You know, the interesting part about Christianity, and I think it somewhat explains its popularity, is that it's essentially a theological crayon book. That is, you get the basic outlines put in front of you, but from there on everybody fills it out the way they like best.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
@Brother: I'd rather you be honest and give me an answer that I will "hate" than bullshit me any day. :lol  Hope you aren't taking my questions the wrong way, I just enjoy posting my thoughts and reading what others have to say about them. :tup

You have faith when there is no proof, and then the proof presents itself to you over time, only to strengthen your faith.  It's not a lifelong "I'm going to not believe until I see proof" type of thing. 

But how do you choose *what* to have faith in, if faith comes before everything else?  There are a million things: religions, worldviews, TV product advertisements, etc that ask you to "just have faith" in them.  What is your tool for discernment?

-J

Probably a mixture of three things--the internal conviction in my heart that I'm a bad person, my interest in eternal rather than temporal things, and my desire to have a resource to call upon that would help me both be happier and be a better person that I am.  

I chose Christianity in particular because I noticed several individuals in my life that were always incredibly inspired and motivated, yet so very humble.  I had to know what made them the way they were.

I have to disagree with you.  I believe that grace is the giving of something that is not deserved, and does not concern Hell at all.  I believe that what you are talking about is mercy, which is the refraining of something that is derserved (which would be judgment).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

I was going to mention this.

If there is no Hell, then what are we saved from? From eternal separation from God? I don't think a nonbeliever would care about that. Punishment (or consequences), though, is different. Being saved from that hopelessness and pain matters. Eternally existing or not existing means that accepting Christ is nothing necessarily important, or, more to the point, nothing saving about it. It becomes more like a club than a rescue at that point.
OK, let me see what I can say about this.

The common Christian perspective on salvation is that salvation = an afterlife event; in other words, salvation is salvation from an eternity in Hell.  The only thing that can save us from an eternity of pain and suffering is belief in Jesus as the Savior.  Achieving this salvation is the main thrust of the Christian religion.

However, for most of the history of the Jewish people, this is a foreign concept.  The idea of an existence of any kind after death is extremely late, first appearing in the book of Daniel, written around 165 BCE.  Earlier books of the Bible either don't mention an afterlife at all or do so only ambiguously (references to Sheol cannot really be seen as evidence of a continued existence post-death - it is equivalent to the Greek Hades, just the place of the dead.  The living are here with us, the dead are in Sheol).  There is certainly no expectation of a Heaven full of rewards for believers and a Hell full of punishment of nonbelievers.  It simply wasn't part of the Jewish religion.  It was this way in 1700 BCE (Abraham), 1300 BCE (the Exodus from Egypt), 1000 BCE (David) or from 750-400 BCE (the main times of the classical prophets). 

Therefore, for the vast majority of their history, the religion of the people of Israel was not motivated by a belief in the afterlife.  However, they still took their relationship with God very seriously, and they still spoke often of salvation.  But what did salvation mean for them?

Well, depending on which part of the Bible you are reading, salvation in God meant many different things.  Salvation meant enlightenment.  It also meant forgiveness.  It also meant material sustenance (food & drink).  Well-being.  It also meant liberation, both materially (the Exodus) and emotionally/spiritually.  It also meant reconciliation, both with others and with God.  It also meant healing, again both physically and emotionally/spiritually.  But the common theme is that God is our salvation, right here, right now, not later in some nebulous afterlife.

I think that God's grace is very real.  However, the very concept of a Hell to which people are doomed unless they are "in the club" doesn't make sense, and doesn't conform to an image of a God who is loving, righteous, and just.  Why would a Hell exist?  Is entry to an afterlife of rewards granted by God's grace, or is there a requirement of us?  If there IS a requirement, then isn't Christianity really a religion of works?  If, on the other hand, entry is granted by grace, then does everyone go to Heaven?  If not, is that because God predestines some to go to Heaven and the rest to go to Hell?  In other words, is God's grace capricious, granted to some undeserving people but not to other undeserving people?

If my entry into Heaven (and avoidance of Hell) is dependent on my free-will choice to respond to God, then my "salvation" is dependent on something I do.  But this means that salvation is no longer dependent on grace, but a requirement.  So, is salvation achieved by grace or by works?

Do only Christians get to Heaven?  Obviously, that has been the viewpoint of most Christians over the last 2,000 years.  But is it righteous and just that billions of souls are consigned to an eternity in Hell just because they've never heard of Christianity, or it wasn't presented to them in a convincing fashion, or wasn't presented correctly at all?

So, while I have no doubt that the early Christians who are responsible for the writing of the New Testament believed in the existence of an afterlife of rewards for them and punishments for their persecutors (and there are reasons that they believed in these things, but that is a different post altogether), the evidence of the Scriptures produced before that time and the character of God revealed throughout the entirety of Scripture speak against such an eternity.  There may be an afterlife existence of some kind, but if so, there is no way that any of us know anything about what it could be, and it wasn't important enough for us here on this side of eternity for God to tell any of the ancient Israelites about it, or to tell them to evangelize their surrounding countries about it.

Then what do you believe happens when you die?

And why should I choose to believe in God if there is no consequence beyond this life for me NOT believing in Him. Even if there is a Heaven and no Hell, either option, really, is fine to probably some people, because I would think some people would not want to live as the Bible says, so they could live how they want with no consequences at all.

I'd be a person like that, actually; if I believed in God and Heaven but not Hell, who cares if I didn't try to do well in God's sight in this life. Maybe I'd face some consequences here on Earth, but I know I would eventually die and not have to worry about that stuff anymore.

Actually, I don't know if you believe in Heaven, either, Hef. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
Then what do you believe happens when you die?
I don't have an opinion.  It may be that nothing happens.  That could be it.  Who knows?

And why should I choose to believe in God if there is no consequence beyond this life for me NOT believing in Him. Even if there is a Heaven and no Hell, either option, really, is fine to probably some people, because I would think some people would not want to live as the Bible says, so they could live how they want with no consequences at all.

I'd be a person like that, actually; if I believed in God and Heaven but not Hell, who cares if I didn't try to do well in God's sight in this life. Maybe I'd face some consequences here on Earth, but I know I would eventually die and not have to worry about that stuff anymore.

Actually, I don't know if you believe in Heaven, either, Hef. :lol
All I'm saying is that I don't live my life because of something that may or may not happen when I die.  I live for God because God lives for me, right now.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
Interesting. What about a verse like this: 

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20, NIV

?

That seems to imply that there is an afterlife for believers at least. Those are Jesus' words.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
I suggest you two move this convo to another thread.  Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?

Offline Adami

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
I like how most of the actual unconventional beliefs have either been insulted or ignored while most of the thread is about christianity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
I suggest you two move this convo to another thread.  Jamesman vs. Hef - Who will die and go to heaven...or will they?

Actually, if PLM or yeshua or hef wants to do that, let's do it. :lol

I like how most of the actual unconventional beliefs have either been insulted or ignored while most of the thread is about christianity.
Yeah, but it's DTF, it happens all the time, you just go with the flow.

But why do you like it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Whatever you want, James.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
Haha do it if you think it'll help clean up the clutter here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
Haha do it if you think it'll help clean up the clutter here.
I don't care that much.  The clutter definitely needs to stop here, so if another thread will do that, feel free to start it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »
I know this is in P/R, but this is kind of a casual thread.  If we have a Christian poster that rejects a majority of the Bible, I think it's fine in here.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
I don't think we have any Christian posters who reject a majority of the Bible.

Offline LTE

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
Nihilism is probably one of the most rational ideologies.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.